>one is dry and the other is wet
>ones like pic related are rare

Other urls found in this thread:

space.com/27832-binary-earth-size-alien-planets.html
planetplanet.net/2014/05/13/building-the-ultimate-solar-system/
youtube.com/watch?v=ew3ZA2bDQHo
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/worldbuilding.php#rocheworld
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wouldn't tidal forces destroy these planets?

Last Exile had a cool setting

If gravity doesn't make them crash into each other first.

>double planet system
What did they mean by this?

Planetary binaries.
space.com/27832-binary-earth-size-alien-planets.html

Depends on how close they are.

>circle
>not slightly elliptic
>9 orbits
It's shit.
I bet the artist didn't even know the sun wobbles.

They'd be tidally locked, so minimal tidal forces at any point.

if they're literally that close it would be both.

though for the purpose of the discussion i think we can assume they're really a more reasonable distance apart (say 50,000 km) and its just the same artistic license with scale almost all space art has.

That sounds more reasonable, even if both objects would have increased vulcanism and a mile high tide.

Like the final series of Lexx? Anyway, messing with the cosmology of a setting is always fun. Doubly so if it has an impact in game.

I know it's a typo but the idea that planets being too close together causes an increase in vulcans makes me giggle.

eh depending on the size of the planets tidal effects could be quite minimal. Pluto and Charon are less than 20,000 km apart and don't have crazy tidal effects. though they're tidally locked as well.

>a mile high tide.
So, lots of surfing.

Lots of running away from the killer wave, too. Entire civilizations on massive ships racing the planet wave only occasionally touching port on the rare more elevated parts of the world. Think Nepal.
Islands born from underwater volcanoes will be a dime a dozen, but they'll be useless for inhabiting because they'll be constantly razed by the planet wave. A real pity, considering those islands would have extremely fertile ground.

Civilizations naturally exist on both sides of the planet wave and they're completely unaware of each other because, well, the planet wave is in the way.

What are the green clusters?

Also does anyone have a diagram of the Centauri system's orbits? I remember it being really fucking weird since it's a three star system.

>What are the green clusters?
Jupiter trojans.

>The lich's grand plan is to teleport the moon too close to the earth, causing continent-spanning vulcan outbreaks

>mile high tide.
If there was that strong tidal interaction, whouldn't the objects rapidly end up tidally locked to each other?

It's the best I could find.

Not in at least a million years.

Right, but after they're tidally locked and have lost all that excess energy, then its fine, right?

Of course.

Behold how far down the rabbit hole goes and yes it is gravitationally stable.

planetplanet.net/2014/05/13/building-the-ultimate-solar-system/

kinda

youtube.com/watch?v=ew3ZA2bDQHo

still dont understand how it worked though. did the enemy ships just give up when they lost the musketeer, even though they contributed nothing to the outcome?

I'd like to think that the majority of both planets is covered in water, but permanently on one side because the planets are tidally locked. So more than an entire hemisphere is pure ocean, with both planets only facing each other by their respective great oceans. Those who live on land will never know there was another planet on the other side of theirs, and sailors who travelled so far out would never come back from the immense voyage.

They would initially be made out of the same dust cloud in roughly the same orbit so would have roughly the same surface water amount. Something needs to have happened to one but not the other which either added lots of water or stripped lots of it from the planet. Adding (via a huge - about 1000 km diameter, something like Ceres - icy asteroid impact) would be more likely.

Other than that, no reason those couldn't exist and be gravitationally stable for a few billion years. Just not quite as closer.

That was the idea, yes. Since if you actually started firing the Guild would be liable to just dump your stupid ass and then you all die. The Musketeers provided a 'fair' form of battle that let the navies test themselves against one another without, at least ideally, actually risking ships.

I was more referring to the whole hourglass megastructure containing two planets for the purpose of this thread, though.

If they're that close, yeah, but they don't have to be. They can be comfortably far away from each other depending on each other's masses

THATS NOT HOW TIDAL FORCES WOOOOORK!

So they are a buncha smaller jupiters who wants to invade uranus.

Imagine being a caveman on a moon of a gas giant. You'd be scared shitless of that giant terrifying fucker taking up half of the sky.

>Green clusters. Shit in Jupiter's massive Lagrange points.

Sounds like the last time I accidentally stumbled into a gay bar.

>double planet system
>one is dry and the other is wet
So the third season of Lexx then

Ima let you finish, but, there's no way thats actually feasible. I can buy that each two-body setup works, but you're gonna have some weird barycenters, not to mention that the planets in the Lagrange points are going to get assblasted when one of those gas giants swings by in a parallel orbit. That doesnt even mention that this entire model totally ignores how accretion and the formation of planets even works.

Considering it would have always been there, nah. What's scary is when it disappears. Look how premordern civs regarded eclipses, for example.

It would probably be considered a god, though.

The moon could orbit/turn super slowly so that it takes years for the planet to "orbit". Imagine being a 2-3 year old child who has never seen the planet, then suddenly it starts creeping up the horizon. That'd be terrifying.

Such a planet would endure massive periods of darkness unless it was both rotating and orbiting SUPER fast.

Yup. Orbital eccentricity matters more. If our moon was in a more eccentric orbit, we would see a more volcanic Earth.

It's been engineered to look like that, at least.

Where the fuck is Neptune?

Far, far outside the bounds of the image.

The ellipticality to planetary orbits is bordering on negligible at the scales involved. They look pretty damn circular to the human eye when shrunk so.
But yeah evict Pluto.

These people DO know the reason Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto are shitholes is not because Jupiter isn't in Goldilocks, right?

Why not just build giant rockets on a planet, fuel it with the life energy of our fallen enemies, and move said planet closer to another one. It's genius!

It didn't contain two planets, did it? It was hard to tell from the end of the anime but I assumed it was a gundam-style hourglass habitat.

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/worldbuilding.php#rocheworld
>Rocheworld is a dumbbell-shaped double planet. As shown in Figure 2, it consists of two moon-sized rocky bodies that whirl about each other with a rotation period of six hours.
>The two planetoids or lobes of Rocheworld are so close that they are almost touching, but their spin speed is high enough that they maintain a separation of about eighty kilometers. If each were not distorted by the other's gravity, the two planets would have been spheres about the size of our Moon.

>two planet system where the two globes are so close together they're rolling over each others' surfaces
>it's safe to live in the upper latitudes but the equator gets rolled over every night
>you're assigned to recover an artifact in the tropics before the day ends

That's cool as fuck, especially the interplanetary waterfall

>These binary planets would loom extraordinarily close to one another, separated by a distance of about half the diameter of each of the worlds
That's mind boggling. Just imagine if earth had a twin planet like that.

Intro level linguistics class assigned us to invent a language for a hypothetical civilization on Jupiter moon. Nothing too fancy was expected, just cursory attempts. I made a small hieroglyphic system that heavily featured the great gas giant in the sky.

We could have had our first interplanetary war already.

Good Guy Jupiter, making life possible.

>planets almost touching
That's kinda gay,