/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, in /5eg/:
Your favourite monsters to throw at players en masse?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buer_(demon)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Would you let someone play a female elf with a penis?

>Your favourite monsters to throw at players en masse?
Tarrasques

An user in the last thread mentioned multiclassing Barb into Warlock.
After looking at my character sheet I noticed I can get the CHA needed to multiclass on my next level and we'll be meeting with a (very minor) deity in our campaign soon.
There was some mention of the deity draining a portion of our life force in exchange for information, should I attempt to offer my whole life as a pact with the deity (so I can enact their will since they can't travel very far) and spare my companions or should I just stick with a full barbarian?

5E allows transgender characters by RAW, especially elves.

No. Females don't have penises

Fuck off with your political bullshit.

what exactly do you hope to gain from lock?

Mechanically, I'd stick with barbarian. But don't think that a warlock pact is the only deal you can make with greater beings, you can come up with other arrangements with some help from the DM.

Something more interesting to do than hit things and grapple things I guess.

How would you fix bladelocks?

And how does this affect gameplay?

>druids refuse to use metal
That's dumb. metal is a naturally occurring thing, it's just been shaped unnaturally.

Who's looking forward to Xanathar's and why?

>Your favourite monsters to throw at players en masse?
A lot of the time games will slowly phase out certain types of monster when player characters' outlevel them, but I honestly find that players really like having a few combats they unequivocally curb stomp from time to time so long as it's not every fight.

My level 11-12 PCs got a lot of catharsis out of mowing through a big group of CR1/2 orcs a few sessions ago while passing back through some mountains where those same orcs killed one of their own way back at level 3

I think it has more to do with being an unfair advantage against nature. Like how anti gun retards pull how it's not really sporting to shoot a deer from a tree from half a mile away.

Kensai tavern brawler monk

Proficiency in medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.

I understand that this is the sort of thing that is obviously going to vary extremely based on what sort of campaign is being run, but in /5eg/'s experience how long does it take to level up between the different milestones of play?

For those of you who have played in a game that reached these levels, how long do you find it typically takes to go from:
>Level 1 to level 5
>Level 5 to level 10
>Level 10 to level 15
>Level 15 to level 20

Mountain dwarf, done.

No shield proficiency. Also no cha bonus.

>bladelock
>cha
I would just let them wear heavy armor and allow devil's sight to work in hunger of hadar.

1-5 32 hours or 8 sessions
5-10 80 hours or 20 sessions
10-15 100 hours or 25 sessions
16-20 120 hours or 30 sessions

assuming 4 hour sessions

Hexblade

We've played from 1 to 15 and have gotten a level every three sessions on average. Leveling slowed down approaching 11 and sped up so dramatically afterwards we had to switch to milestones to slow it down.

How do I make a warlock that has the classic witchy feel?

Step 1. Make a warlock that is an ugly girl
Step 2. Get proficiency in herbalism and alchemy tools
Step 3. Take a nap.

Make a druid instead.

When will warlock get a 1/longrest animate dead invocation?

Better question, when will they get all those Demon Summoning spells as Invocations?

The better question is, why would you even want it. It will allow you to raise one measly skeleton per day.

Still looking for feedback on my homebrew, since you guys were really helpful in clearing out all the [shit] from the last version.

Specific question, how are the spell arrays for each group? Would you suggest change outs, either official spells or Homebrew?

Thanks again!

>Digits
>Time

Hopefully fuckng never. Necromancers are shit and players shouldn't have access to minions outside of the rangers 1 mediocre pet. Combat takes long enough because players don't plan ahead when it isn't their turn, the last thing I want is to have to micromanage an army of shitty minions.

This, land Druid, especially swamp, is closest to classic witch feel.

You'd actually have 5 by ninth level.

You gain the benefits of the Dueling, Great Weapon Fighting, or Two-Weapon Fighting fighting style while wielding a pact weapon. You may change this selection after a long rest.
I would consider baking in some capacity to attack twice at level 5 or 6, perhaps also requiring a bonus action. Don't delay the +Cha bladepact damage invocation to 12 when the EB boost lacks a level requirement. Add an invocation to let them change pact weapon damage types. Add an invocation to let them summon two one-handed pact weapons, one of which may ignore the Light property.

>implying anyone besides a necromancer wizard can abuse that spell

Like the thirsting blade invocation?

That's an invocation, and that's the sort of cost that makes Blade Pact less desirable when other choices scale stronger for free.
I'm saying baked into the pact, but balanced by being either delayed by one level or requiring a bonus action, or both.

>Want to have a warlock who is pacted with a 'redeeming' demon
>Specifically: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buer_(demon)
>Good at healing and gives good familiars

So, should I stick with Fiend-pact or refluff celestial and take pact of the chain?

I wouldn't say no, but I would ask why that's an important character detail.

If it's just "cuz i wanna play a girl with a dick" I'd probably urge them away from it, or ask them for a more compelling reason (maybe involving their backstory?)

>You gain the benefits of the Dueling, Great Weapon Fighting, or Two-Weapon Fighting fighting style while wielding a pact weapon. You may change this selection after a long rest.
Giving a class a superior version of another classes original thing isn't exactly good game design, even if 3 classes already have said thing.

That feel when my group has been stagnating at level 5 for almost half a year.

It can never possibly be an important character detail. The only way this kind of shit fits into a game is if some crazy wizard turned you into the opposite sex and you want to change back, and even that is super lame.

Have you tried talking to your DM? That seems stupid. Sometimes DMs forget about levels though.

Top kek. I've been chuckling at work for 2 full minutes now. Thank God I'm alone.

Level 3 Warlock, took a level of Bard and don't regret it at all. The extra 2 spell slots are great and Bardic Inspiration gives some great bonus action utility. Debating between going 7 Warlock/3 Bard (Valor for medium armor and a shield), 3 Warlock/7 Bard (Lore for the additional secrets), or 5 Warlock/5 Bard (giving me 2 3rd level spell slots per short rest and 2 per long rest plus all the 1st and 2nd level spells).

After the feedback I got in a previous thread I'm thinking of going 7 Lore Bard, but that would put off my 3rd level spells until level 8 and I'm not sure if it's worth delaying them.

I need a link with the ToA backgrounds plz.

it's in the trove

Make a sorcerer.

Maybe a fallen angel celestial patron?

impossible really
you'll never get the herbalist ritual-ey magic right

>talk to the DM
We're playing with milestones, and it makes sense from a story perspective as we're moving rather slowly in real life. Like, 5 hour session covers maybe half a day in-game, and we have a session every two weeks on average.

She's taking steps to address the problem because it frustrates her as well (she's gonna straight-up time skip some of the more extraneous parts of the narrative), she wants the story to move forward but two of the others are playing characters that have to be sure of everything before moving ahead.

Anons, I desperately need some help putting together balanced yokai PC races for a planned Oriental Adventures campaign. Can I get some feedback on this stuff?

Rokurokubi
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Elongate Neck: As a bonus action, you can extend your neck into a prehensile tendril that reaches 20 feet. Whilst extended, you can use its mobility to gain superior vantage points, as logical, and your bite attack has a reach of 20 feet. Whilst extended, you can retract it back into your body as a bonus action.
Poisonous Bite: You possess a bite attack, which is a natural weapon that you have proficiency with. This does not grant you extra attacks. On a hit, your bite attack inflicts 1d12 Poison damage, which increases by +1d12 at 5th level (2d12), 11th level (3d12) and 17th level (4d12).
Tireless: You only need to enter a semiconscious dream-state for 4 hours per day to gain the full benefits of 8 hours of sleep. Als, you have Advantage on saving throws against the Sleep condition.
Toxin Proofed: You have Resistance to Poison damage and advantage on saving throws against the Poisoned condition.
Claws: When making an unarmed strike, you can choose to use your claws as a natural weapon, changing the damage to 1d3 Slashing damage

Really unsure about the Claws trait; I mostly took my inspiration from PF's Rokurokubi enemy, so that's why it's there.

>If it's just "cuz i wanna play a girl with a dick" I'd probably urge them away from it

If i don't need to include it in story and such thing make sense in setting (which default RAW DnD does), i'd allow it. It is not different from scalies playing Dragonborn or Lizardfolk - unless the guy is weird about it.

Some people just enjoy pretending something and don't even need to include others.

At least it's being addressed. DM might have to start putting a ticking clock under those two players.

This is my other most recent yokai profile, so I want to get this and the Rokurokubi done before I worry about the others.

Oni
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength, +1 Charisma
Powerful Build: You are considered to be one size larger for determining your carrying, pushing, pulling and dragging capacity.
Illusory Veil: You have Proficiency in Deception.
Windstrider: At 7th level, you gain a Fly speed of 30 feet.
Oni Tricks: You can cast the True Strike cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast Fog Cloud as a 1st level spell with this trait. At 5th level, you can cast Suggestion as a 2nd level spell with this trait. Once you have cast either Fog Cloud or Suggestion with this trait, you must complete a long rest before you can use them again. Spells cast with this trait use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score.

I really like the idea of the Hex augmenting invocations like maddening hex. Just thinking about tagging on an extra CHA mod worth of AoE damage every round for the cost of 1 nosave spell and a bonus action each turn gets me all hot and bothered

There is no such thing.

If they're asking it's because they're already weird about it.

I like the idea of Blade Pact offering a Fighting style, though I'm not as sure in swapping it out so regularly. Maybe just when you level instead?

Pact of tome with the tools and kit expanded rules in XGtE should change that.

DM wanted in-depth personal story arcs, and these last two are taking their sweet time. It's pretty good but BOY did that backfire on her. It also doesn't help that the party as a whole gets side-tracked easily, but she basically told us we have 2 sessions and it'll be new stuff.

Is multiclassing barb/rogue as hard to kill as I think it is?
Is fighter 3/ monk x any good?
What's a better way to go Uncle Iroh without monk levels, evocation or conjuration wizard?

I don't trust this thing's CR. I have a party of 4 level 2 characters - a bard, a druid, a dual wielding warrior and a gunsmith
who will fuck up who?

Which cantrips and invocations should I be taking as a level 3 Tomelock? I'm too indecisive for all these options.

Also, would a Warlock/Druid multiclass be viable at all? When would I want to make the switch?

That's great then, hope it all works out.

>Like, 5 hour session covers maybe half a day in-game
what how

You have to burn a lot of wood or mine coal to smelt metal. It has many other effects on the environment as well.

>Algr Borndie
>Half-Orc Barbarian with Guild Merchant Background
>sells women's shoes in Waterdeep
>married to a tiefling woman
>has to flee the city because dwarven women are trying to murder him as revenge for fat-jokes ("a fat dwarven woman clip-clopped into the shoestore today, asking for something to make her look sexy. so I said, it'll take a long time for a Fomorian to come in here and stand next to you! Now I don't know when they allowed women to carry battleaxes...", etc.)
>is glad to get away from his wife

Would you allow this in your campaign?

Does the snake have any allies in the fight? If not then your party will probably do alright, barring some bad luck.
Keep in mind that the snake is Huge. Have it in a place where they can move through a few narrow spots to temporary safety or to escape if things go tits up, and it should be okay as well as feeling more dynamic.

Borndie? More like born to die.

Agonizing blast and Book of Ancient Secrets are two solid foundation invocations. Other than that I'd grab eldritch blast and minorillusion/friends/prestidigitation for your warlock cantrips and for your book of shadows you should consider guidance, light, dancing lights, shillelagh, shocking grasp, or thautmaturgy

but CR is never wrong

Vishkanya
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity
Vision: Darkvision
Serpentine Allure: You have Advantage on Charisma (Deception) checks.
Toxic Blood:You have Resistance to Poison damage. Additionally, by sacrificing a hit dice, you can smear your blood on a weapon as a bonus action; this blood wears off after your next attack makes an attack, but an enemy struck by the blood-smeared weapon takes additional Poison damage equal to 1d8 + your Charisma modifier (minimum of +1).
Sweet Poison Kiss: Once you have reached 5th level, once per long rest, you can cast Charm Person as a 1st level spell on a single creature with a touch. If the Charm effect on this creature is ended, then the creature is Poisoned for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1).

sounds funny if the other players are playing goofy characters too

what are the best classes for multiclass with a predominant warlock?

Does anyone have Legendary Games' Kingdoms? I couldnt find it in the trove and failed to find it in da Archive, too.

Kitsune
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Intelligence
Foxfire: You know the Produce Flame and Dancing Light cantrips, which you can cast with Charisma. At 3rd level, you can cast Faerie Fire with this trait as a 1st level spell once per long rest, again using Charisma as your casting ability score.
Trickster’s Guile: You have Proficiency in Charisma (Deception).
Hengeyokai: Fox

AAAAH FUCK THIS THING'S CR!
I accidentally 4 of them and a single scarecrow against four LVL 3s. The fighter almost died amd couldn't participate in combat until he got his SEVEN STRENGTH back up to where is should have been.

Related note: what are the ability score recovery rules for 5e?

>>>/pfg/

Oh my god nobody cares.

The fight takes place in a swamp with varying degrees of depth - the players will see there's a shallow path but can easily fall into the pit. This thing is swimming around, and will try to take advantage of the terrain.

Party wins with utmost ease.

CR is not suitable for "solo monster" encounters due to action economy.

That snake will be suffering at least 4 attacks every turn from that group, and with even meagre bonuses, 3 of them will hit its low AC.
Likewise, that snake gets ONE attack, which is very unlikely to hit a robust AC. It will hit maybe every 3 turns.

This means our Snake has to survive 6-9 attacks for every 1 it manages to strike back with. And that's not accounting for anyone doing anything more interesting than "I attack it.". Anyone with Vicious Mockery or Frostbite will utterly end the snakes chances of doing anything.

Did we ever get to the bottom of the fly mystery?

What happens if a person flying with the spell is grappled by a big creature?

Sure, he sounds like a jovial, down to earth fellow who might be the light hearted soul of the party, helping to keep them grounded.

>Which cantrips and invocations should I be taking as a level 3 Tomelock?

The ones that fit your character.

>I'm too indecisive for all these options.

Grow some testicles.

>Also, would a Warlock/Druid multiclass be viable at all?

Depends on the setting.

That sounds alright by me. I don't want to kill them, I just want to scare the shit out of them.

Okay, help me out.
I'm making an ancient temple-monastery dungeon, now populated with ghosts and revenants. It's called the Temple of the Twins, and it's whole gimmick is having two halves - one dedicated to a cleric, and one belonging to a paladin.
Cleric's half I've got handled - there are monk cells there, prison cells for rulebreakers and heretics, a library, a meditation chamber, a praying room...
But with the paladin's, more martial, half I'm a bit puzzled. What do I even put there beyond an armory and a training court?

Dude, ever seen Intellect Devourers?

We once encountered two outside a cave, supposed to be our "Arcana/Nature check? It's a creature that are typically pets to Ithillids, there might be mindflayers inside!".

Instead the little CR2 critters got a TPK.

We were level 14. They killed the entire party in about three turns.

I've had to throw people out of my game for arguing over this shit. seems like everyone who claims they're a witch irl is a different kind.(and they are the REAL REAL kind, they ASSURE you)

not that anyone important in the game cared, the battle of witch subcultures is hilarious to watch though, so we missed that.

I wish there was more available lore on the "star" entities that used to be the patrons for Star pact warlocks in 4e andwere incorporated in GOO warlocks in 5e.

I always liked the idea of a moon being the corpse/prison of one of these.

I'll never understand the hit points needed for a creature to increase in CR, The table says 7-35 is CR 1/8, but goblins have 7 and are CR 1/4, Gnolls have 22 and are 1/2.

Shadow has the offensive CR of 1, the hp of a CR 1/8 (even with resistances), which averages 1/2 and makes this abomination.

It won't scare them, It will be a big fat pinata which will die before it manages to land a hit.

Use 2-3 Crocodiles, they will accomplish the same result much better. Especially if after biting, they start backing up into the water dragging them along.

Statues of paladins, some places for meditation, an altar or something, some holy crypts maybe.

People taking for-fucking-ever to run through conversations, and backtrack to a place we were a few hours before to check up on a person/verify information. Combat contributes slightly to the time, but we have maybe one deadly encounter a session (thank fuck I'm playing a Paladin, I don't envy the Fighter's place).

Either way, I'm hoping it all resolves itself in the next couple weeks. We've been on hiatus for a bit because of people not having personal calendars.in this day and age, with phones that blast you with reminders, how hard is it to mark down days where you can be available or not? apparently very

>We were level 14. They killed the entire party in about three turns.
that's fucking brutal
my group of level 4s almost wiped to a group of Shadows since the dm missed the damage resistance part
two of us were downed at one point and the last guy was one hit away from reaching 0 str

>crawford video
Great

Gloom Stalker seems to be powerful

>A grappled creature's speed becomes 0, and it can't benefit from any bonus to its speed.