I'm gonna play in Tal'dorei

So I was invited to a campaign which its setting is Tal'dorei, I read a little about it online and it seems like an even shittier Forgotten Realms, what is the point of this setting? I mean its like the most generic, bland and boring high fantasy I have ever read, not even Golarion is as fucking bad as this.

Why do people enjoy this setting?

>Why do people enjoy this setting?

Because it's "on tv" and they've never played anything else. They hope that the popularity and fame of Critical Role will rub off on them somehow.

>Why do people enjoy this setting?

It was created by Matt Mercer, many of us consider him the best DM alive.

it's better than the vanilla stuff Wizards of the Coast puts out.

That's odd, OP says this is popular but I've never heard about it.
>clicks on image
>Critical Role
Oh, that explains it. It's probably the first setting some normies have been exposed to.

Tal'dorei was Matt Mercer's homebrew setting, which meant he would only create content on a "as-needed" basis, and he had no idea people would even know about it or even want to play in it.

It's completly unlike FR or Greyhawk that it's made from ground up to be sold to the masses and have as much content as possible from day 1.

I haven't read the full campaign setting. maybe he added enough stuff in it to be a good setting, but I doubt it.

Why would anyone play on some other group's home brewed setting? Just make your own, nigga.

I don’t care about what kind of shitty homebrew some overrated voice actors play in, but I think it’s a little conceited to publish said homebrew in a fucking hardcover book and then charge people for even the PDF. But then again their audience is the type to unironically scream “BAZINGA” at every Nat 20, so I guess it’s not all that surprising.

>Critical Role
There's your answer OP. The setting is worthless otherwise.

That's how 90% of settings get made.

Almost every base D&D setting is someone else's homebrew.

>But then again their audience is the type to unironically scream “BAZINGA” at every Nat 20

Being this out of touch must have taken up both your feats at character creation, it's honestly that impressive.

how do you think sourcebooks or campaign guides get made?

>what is the point of this setting?
What's the point in any setting? What's the point in anything? Nothing matters because you'll die and everything you ever accomplished will be lost to time, so you might as well just stay in bed and never do anything.

True desu

FR was greenwoods world when he was a little teenage hippie nerd
Greyhawk was EGGs homebrew for years before it was published

>made from ground up to be sold to the masses and have as much content as possible from day 1
ROFL what

Tal'Dorei is generic because he wanted something generic, I'm fine with that. The reason I think it's bad is that nothing on a smaller scale is particularly well executed or interesting, so it ends up bland, which is a thousand times worse than just generic.

Lots of people (in fact I'd argue most), don't get into settings the way your average fa/tg/uy does. A fa/tg/uy looks at a setting in terms of things like unique themes, available material, and quality of worldbuilding. The average individual instead sees a story get told, and the enjoyment of the story makes them want to visit that same world. It's kind of like seeing Princess Bride and wanting to play in the same world. The setting isn't the strong suit of the narrative, but the enjoyment of the story is what causes people to want to visit. In essence, the fa/tg/uy looks at a setting as a piece of craftmanship, like a Piano. The people you're probably going to be playing with instead view the setting like a tourist trip, where they get to visit all the places they know from the story they love.

Well said user, couldn't agree more.

Fa/tg/uys are just contrarians.

Jokes on you Mr. Nihilist, I believe in a genetic legacy. My name will live for at least one more generation.

Exactly. There's tons of people who watch CR who've never played an RPG before. If playing in the one RPG setting they're familiar with makes them more likely to try roleplaying, what's the problem with that?

Is there a good Princess Bride setting?