Question to all you simulationists out there: is long hair much of a detriment in melee...

Question to all you simulationists out there: is long hair much of a detriment in melee? Lots of high fantasy stuff has their princes and female warriors with their hair flowing freely in the wind.

there's a reason female athletes tie their hair back

and they don't even have to worry about killing people most of the time

Not a simulationist, but I would imagine it it'd be a pretty big problem. Even if it doesn't get caught in equipment, it would make you easier to grapple.

I may be biased though, because I love girls with short hair. Cassandra is a qt.

Well, it's easier to grab and pull it. Maybe not much of an issue depending on how the person fights, but it wouldn't be an advantage.

Short hair is perfect in any way. It doesn't get caugt in gear, it's less possible to grab and it looks great.

Long or short hair, you should wear a hat or a helmet.

>Most of the time

Pretty big disadvantage, yeah. It's a great big target to grab, and it doesn't tear free easily. When it does tear free it hurts like hell. It can get in your eyes and obscure your view, particularly if it's matted by sweat or blood (which it should be in a fight). If you're on a campaign or adventure in the wilds then it's a complete bugger to keep clean and if you don't keep it clean then it will start itching.
From a practical standpoint long hair is shit, but honestly that's just one of the many minor issues most people overlook while playing RPGs, so who cares? You don't insist that everyone spend their gold on buying sensible hiking boots or comfortable saddles or give them foot/ass blister debuffs.

Not OP and offtopic: Should I play DA2 or DA:I? They're infamous for reasons.

DA2. It has a lot of problems, but besides environment, it beats Inquisition in every aspect.

And that's not a compliment to DA2.

DA2 is broken, but has some interesting concepts, with the Qunari in particular, and a more original tale or tales, but is not a rounded story.

DA:I is far more safe and solid game, but the story is more predictable and less daring. Also it feels like a single player MMORPG.

No you absolutely shouldn't.

I enjoyed both, but DA2 does have serious problems. With the exception of the last half hour (which is kind of bullshit) it probably has the best story of three games. It was very personal and small scale, which was a nice change from 'save the world again'.

Are the Dwarf beards never an issue in combat?

They both are utter shit, and I advise you against even thinking of playing either.
Somehow, SOMEHOW DA2 actually manages to be a better game out of the two, though.

let's call it a /thread on these trips of truth

If the character has long hair I assume they get free skill levels, only to cancel out the combat penalties of long hair. IE, I wouldn't use it for anything other than descriptive purposes.

If they took a flaw about it, like vain or something related, I'd use it against them.

Same for beards.

tonya harding?

There are thousands of hours worth of better CRPGs easily available.

the gameplay and feel killed it for me
Tactics and positioning stopped mattering and on the hardest difficulty even minor bosses took ages of to kill and in the most boring way possible. you'd just run away from him with the character he had aggro on while the other three attacked
Another thing that turned me off was the animation.
Your party moved like they were out of an animu while opponents still moved exactly like everyone in DA:O did. It was jarring

In ANY combat situation, "No hair" is better than "short hair," is better than "tied back," is better than "long and free."

In a situation where combatants are using weapons, grabbing someone's hair isn't actually that likely. I mean think about it - unless it's a mob and someone gets someone else from behind, when is it going to happen? "Ha! I'm close enough to grab your flowing hair with my 3' arms! Woah, do you condition? Your locks are so silky, I can barely feel your 5' spear lodged in my chest." Even then, they'd just as likely stab/smash/cut/slap the stylin' bastard. Duals boil down to ~10-40 seconds of dancing around looking for an opening, followed by ~1-5 seconds of actual weapon use. Grappling generally doesn't factor in.
Remember: you can't lock hair like you can joints, all you can do is pull. It may hurt like hell, but the long haired individual can still move all of his more dangerous parts (see: hands holding weapons and kicking feet). Most people, in a life or death situation, will gladly suffer a bit of pain to stay alive.
Visibility could become an issue, though.

In no-weapons fisticuffs or knife fights, where grappling is a thing that happens ALL THE TIME, that's when you really start to see a big difference.

Dwarves probably use some hardening jelly or metal hair nets to keep them from getting yoinked

Just tie it ino a bun.

I quite like the bioware style of telling story. Which thousands hour would you recommend?

Does DA:I let you play someone who has bought into their own hype and really thinks they're God's will made manifest or does is always play it down?

I watched Jessie Cox play for a few hours and it looked a little mechanically dull but I'd like that experience if it exists.

There are plenty of megalomaniac dialogue options in DAI, you are the chosen of Andraste after all.

Beard shield

And knowing dwarves, they would individualize them so it fits perfectly over plaits and even design them so they look like braids on the outside

Combat mechanics and all of the characters bar Viviene and Sara were better in Cisquisition.

But don't kid yourself, both were shit in their own ways. The good shit stopped at Awakening.

Play neither and instead replay Origins while making different choices.

If you let it hang loose, yes, yes it is, but you can always tie it like most of the medieval dudes did

just checked stem charts
DA:O ultimate edition has 400+ average players in the last 30 days, regular DA:O has 100+ and DA II has 3.7
To bad they haven't released DA:I on steam so we can check the numbers

I'd argue "short hair" is better than "no hair" as long as it's short enough that you can't grab a hold of it.

What's the difference between the ultimate edition and original?

i assume it has all DLCs and expansions

It possibly has some impact. But it must be marginal. Multitude of famed warrior cultures in history sported long hair. From Hittites, through Spartans, Celtic and Germanic tribes, to Amerindians.

People tent to not do stupid shit on mass scale with lives at stake. If it was really so detrimential, it wouldn't be so widespread

They actually removed DAII from Steam. DAII and DA: I are only on EA's Origin.

It says nothing, though, since romans had a first professional army in the history of mankind and they all used to cut their hair short.

Speaking of Dragon Age, anyone have any good experiences with the RPG system? I only ever see campaigns set during the 5th blight, and that kind of bores me.

>it looks great.

Not really, faggo mcpederast

Wearing a helmet probably helps negate some of the risk

Yes. That's why the romans cut their hair short

>People tent to not do stupid shit on mass scale with lives at stake
You really have too high an opinion of humanity.

I liked viviene.
Over all, the best character was iron bull, and the worst was sera followed by solas. Literally the most useless followers. Not only are they redundant, but Varric is better than sera for archer and Dorian is top tier crowd control and best fag.
Viviene is always the heal slut with revive and barrier because knight enchanter has the group res for clutching. Though, maybe 3 fights in the whole game are hard enough to warrant its use.

I'd argue that Macedonian armies were professional long before the Romans reformed, but you do have a point about the hair either way.

>Macedonian armies were professional long before the Romans reformed
because the trend of cutting your hair and beard spread through the ranks when they noticed alexander did it

I have long(ish) hair. I do a fair bit of the old fisticuffs.
It's a problem, If I didn't mind looking like a egg I'd shave it off.

Even tied back, as long as there's enough to get a hand full, people will. Best case scenario, they rip out a chunk whilst you punch them in the throat.

play Dragon Age: Origins,
enjoy all the different intros.
I'm not a fan of the rest

ps.
short hair on gils is either; mega hot, or full dyke.
there is no in-between.

>short hair on gils is either; mega hot, or full dyke.
I'm no barber, but most girls simply cannot pull off short hair. You really need a specific facial shape to make it look good.

The only redeeming thing about Inquisition was my character yelling "I forgot the horses!" because I didn't do the quests to improve the stables prior being forced to move to the Keep on a Mountain

>simulationist
>high fantasy
I'm sure you understand

Most of the martialed fighters I know are guys w/ long hair. If you tie it back and wear a helmet, it's not a problem.

Short hair was universal amongst almost all roman men, not just those serving in the legions though.
At the end of the day, long or short, most fighter's hair is going to be tied back and covered by some sort of protective head gear. Even if it isn't, if you're close enough to grab someone's hair, you're close enough for a stabbing/pommel strike, and you'd be better off doing that while using your free hand to stop him doing the same to you, rather than pulling his hair like a girl

I imagine dwarf hair could be used as a weapon on its own right

Divinity OS.

>simulationists
>female warriors
you just wanted to start this shit, didnt you?

Dear God, no. Let them stay dead.

Males can have long hair too. I think many spartans did. But [citation needed]

Considering the stoutness and general attitude, they'd make for pretty incompetent combatants to begin with.

Considering their head height is relatively easy to swipe, and even a whiff could land a blow somewhere on the lower body.

Their innate hairiness just screams "Torches are effective".

They eat so much that they'd be bloated during combat.

I'm no fan of elves either, but christ alive - the working model of the human figure lasted this long because it fucking works. Dwarves serve nothing else other than comedic relief because "haha, little funny drunk man talks about being a warrior ex dee."

I used to think they were pretty baller until I realised how truly shit they are.

If you're grabbing hair then something has gone horribly wrong.
But leaving hair untied is asking to get fucked up.

Cut it short or tie it up.

>he doesn't give his players ass blister debuffs