Any way to still play?
Also I guess we can talk about dead/obscure card games

Other urls found in this thread:

chaoticgameplus.com/images/kusharcard.jpg
chaoticgameplus.com/images/solviscard.jpg
chaoticgameplus.com/images/ashtorrentcard.jpg
m.youtube.com/watch?v=BEmb_g0zqNQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pic related is THE best CCG I ever played. Bar none. I got into it because I'm a Tolkien nut and thought I would be in for a shit game but would indulge my autism. It's fucking amazing; essentially a race around the map to gather up various resources before the Dark Lord strikes. There is a lot of complexity and a lot of strategy. It's a shame that it died off, and that it was released before the PJ movies; I suspect that if the game had been timed more fortuitously, it would still be with us. (Then again, maybe not. It's very high on complexity for a CCG)

The show was better than the card game, having played it and watched the show. Pretty decent worldbuilding, and the premise was pretty fun.
Mipedians for life, but I loved Chaor.

UNDERWORLDERS FUCKING RULE YOU FUCKING ASSLORD

I have no idea what convinced me to buy into this, or for that matter what convinced someone to make it, but I was pleasantly surprised by the result. Pretty fun, captures the feel of the movie, doesn't rely on easy standard CCG bullshit. Always enjoy a game that can be played solo, even if the variant here is a little jank.

I'm also about /this close/ to blowing a bunch of money on Kult and On the Edge just to fart around with after finding a few packs of each the other day. Look at this waifu I pulled. You know I've gotta build around that.

Man, I miss chaotic. A couple years ago, I found booster tins of it being sold in the dollar store. Bought 4 or 5 of them, and managed to get a semi-decent deck of each faction.

Now all I need is someone to play with who's interested in learning the rules.

Oh hey, I remember nerding the fuck over that when I was like a toddler or something

Not obscure but I never met anyone else who had a deck.

I liked playing neopets.
Pretty balanced game.

The cartoon was weird. Why was season 2 anime?

Evidently, it was more popular than Pokemon TCG for a hot minute before WOTC shut it down because someone in charge was doing some kind of shady shit. Also, it shares a system with the WCW Nitro CCG, if you want Hermoine to fight Freakzilla Scott Steiner

So how did the game actually play? The show was neat, but I was already playing mtg by then

This glorious trainwreck.

So does the flaming trainwreck bakugan count?

Was it bad? I remember having passing interest in it back in the day, but was way to young to actually think about it

We will never understand Canada

Was this Guy Fieri's The Spoils?

The game was fucking facinating. I'm gonna oversimplify it a lot, but the meat of the game was your creatures fighting their creatures by playing attack cards.

Let's look at creature cards first. Pic related is Tartarek. There are a couple important things to see here. First is the creature's energy, which is its health. Tartarek's energy is the 35 in the bottom corner. Next are the card's abilities, which are the four numbers to the left. The abilities are, from top to bottom, Courage Power Wisdom and Speed. The abilities do nothing on their own, but they're important for attacks. Finally, there are the elements, which are on the right. They're Fire Water Wind and Earth. Tartarek has no elements. Like abilities, elements do nothing on their own

Every turn, you'd get to move a creature to annother space. If the space was occupied by an enemy creature, battle starts. A location card is flipped face up (decides which creature goes first), creatures draw the top 3 cards of their attack decks, and alternate launching attacks at eachother until one of them loses all of their energy. You keep drawing through your attack deck every time you attack until you use all 20 of them, then you shuffle your discard pile and keep going.

>Tcg/Tabletop-Hybrid from Germany. The game was actually pretty good, but after the first expansion, it just died.

Forgot pic. Now, time to go into more detail.

Let me give you hypothetical example. Bellow are two creature cards, and one attack card.
chaoticgameplus.com/images/kusharcard.jpg
chaoticgameplus.com/images/solviscard.jpg
chaoticgameplus.com/images/ashtorrentcard.jpg
Let's say that we have a fight between Kughar and Solvis, and both players choose to use the Ash Torrent attack. Ash Torrent says Challenge Power 15, which means that something happens if you attack and your creature has 15 more Power than the opposing creature. Ash Torrent also has a 5 next to the Fire and Earth symbol, indicating that it deals that much damage if you have those elements. Some attacks deal base damage regardless, but Ash torrent isn't one of those cards

In this hypothetical scenario, Kughar would deal 5 + 10 damage with Ash Torrent, since he has 15+ more power than Solvis and he has the Fire element. Solvis would deal 0 damage with Ash Torrent, since he doesn't have enough power and he doesn't have Fire.

(Worth noting, Ash torrent has a 1 in the top-left corner. This is its build cost. An attack deck must have exactly 20 attack cards, and their total build costs cannot be greater than 20. So, a fair number of your attacks might be crummy 0-cost attacks.)

The strategy of deckbuilding is to make sure all your creatures can effectively use all of your attacks; it's good to have attacks that only focus on one or two elements, and only focus one one ability

Slap Jack

Box and art reminds me of this

Got it for my younger brothers. The game was odd. It really was more about consistently getting your monster marbles on the cards than winning in a combat since it was pretty hard to get them to actually stick on the card. So most games tended to be who can actually stick their guys onto the cards rather than have them battle and use the cards, which were jsut basic +/- cards. Game didn't take into account the chance that both players might stick their 3 monster-marbles that each have in a way that no one won. They added some equipment type ones eventually, but again nothing but increase power and nothing else

Insect faction for life. I remember buying only one pack, and getting two shiny insect cards. Was pretty cool.

This man speaks the truth. Glorious Mipedian master race destroys all.

Danians, huh? Yeah they were cool.

What even was the M'arillian thing about though? Were they cartoon-only?

Miss the game, sad to have seen it fall apart.

I remember that game, it was like the only TCG I've ever played where mill is a viable strategy. Because if memory serves mill was the ONLY win condition.

God i miss Chaotic. It was fun for the most part. Just hard to find anyone that actually played to determine if you were any good. Had a Warbeast deck and an Overworlder wisdom deck

Kept my old cards and found a new use them (Mostly to create items and npc characters for D&D plots)

I really liked Guardians.

Chaotic was fun with so many way to play, but the random stats, while a cool idea, hurt long term collectivity. The shoes storyline was actually good, but the constant style change turned kids away.
I still have sround eight boxes unopened.

Just got the trials for pic related and bougjt a box, its almost exctly like duelmastets except each card can be a 'blocker' and your lands/mana can level up and have effects wich is cool. Also a sucker for the magical girl aethetic. I hope it catches on even if just in con/nerd circles. All games using shields tend to be fun (wixoss, duelmasters, hecatomb- man I miss hecatomb).

Should mention this game isnt dead, its new, but obscure enough it is almost DOA.

Speaking of new but DOA

This game has some neet stuff going on, and the japanese fantasy rpg art is nice. I hope it also gains more steam.

Secondary cost of cards is stupid for it though, not paying that much for rares of a game thats going to die anyway. Might pick up some boxes later.

Both it and Caster Chronicles are just rebranded DuelMasters game play wise though. Dragoborne being way closer, the only difference being the dice which honestly isnt all that interesting after a few games. Caster Chronicles level up lands and forced blockers makes it more interesting game play wise imo, but the art style makes it less likely for it to go far (which is unfortunate as Im using it as a eng replacment for wixoss, a true waifu game).

I always wanted to enter the Chaotic Hub World, looked comfy af

If i was rich I'd just collect dead ccg all day

This game was surprisingly fun to play and build decks with, me and a mate of mine were the only two people in the state playing this game and we managed to put together some amazing decks.

I wasn't even a power rangers fan,
i'm a sentaifag.

Have an exocomp. This game was the only one I know of that had a 'start over' to try and fix it's design issues. Ran for quite a while

I miss Mythos. It was a clever card game and fun.

O fuck I remember destroying basically all of mine by leaving them in the wash as a kid....

Never played this one. But there ya go.

Danians were great. I had a great deck with a strong front line warrior with low HP who got bonus HP for each other Danian on the field. And then that mugic that drops any damage taken to 5 if your base HP is low enough, so he was deceptively tanky.

I also had a deck specifically to counter the warbeast meme. Every fucking time people would have the snake guy jump right into my squishy backline caster only to get it's shit pushed in, leaving their Conjurers wide open and undefended.

Ended up beating one of the top players like that. Ocassus I think he was called. Took him down so badly he turned into a Danian player, and stomped me a week later with what was basically a stronger version of my own set-up.

atleast on tg
I think this is by far the best ccg out there and I've played mtg, vtes, rage, call of cthulhu, dune and something else I'm sure. That pirateship game.

>Thoughts on this?
Vtes, best game overall ever. Actually so good that it transcends traditional ccg format to something more ttrpg -like.

>Any way to still play?
People do physically still play it I'm sure. Easiest for me at least is to play via lackeyccg. If anyone is interested to play, I could tutor on lackey. We have some players there every day, but not many.

I have been looking at that one as it is made by the Force of Will dudes. I am glad to hear that they are cloning other card games, as Duel Masters has cool mechanics.

Lackeyccg. Didn't know that was a thing. Can you tell me more about it? Can it really do any old ccg?

As long as there is a plugin for the game in question. The program itself is stupidly simple: you have a table, elements that you can move on it, counters and a chat. I think you yourself could do any game with it as long as you have the cards scanned.

Its better than FoW, at least in my opinion. Not that FoW was bad, just that it felt like MtG but in a more boring way. And the art went from good anime to deviant art tier shit.
I already ordered my box of Chronicles just because the cute girls and that the trial decks alone showed allot of interesting directions the game could go. The casters (cute girls) are the lands basically, but all have interesting effects and level up. And being able to play cards only in attack or def mode is very different.

So the program doesn't like learn the rules or anything, you and opponent just have to know the rules and move cards as appropriate. So like doom blade wouldn't kill a creature but if your opponent casts it on your dude you move it to graveyard?

This was a great game killed before its time.

That's right. It isn't really automated, but it should let you play most CCGs or even create your own if you feel like it.

Yea ultimate gentleman's rules apply, no shitters are welcome.

I loved this game when I was younger. Unfortunately I didn't have any friends to play it with back then so I just played by myself

WOT another lackey user? What do you play? Mtg I presume, since having another lackey vtes player here would be just too much.

The games still strong (and good) in japan. Its also leaking to mtg (living weapons, flips cards)

Heres a play through I found

m.youtube.com/watch?v=BEmb_g0zqNQ

Oh jeez, I'm gonna have to pull out all my old dead shit

My man.

I know this doesn't really count as "dead" per se;

But I've been recently smashing out Yugioh Forbidden Memories.

I used to play Yugioh (xyz era) when I was in my break period of magic, and fucking hated it.
Something about Forbidden memories makes it fun though, as bullshit as the game is.
The combinations are so fun to fuck around with.

Then I go back to MTG: Shandalar and realise why MTG will always be infinitely superior.
I do miss Duel Masters though to get back on track.

That's great for Japan but I'm 27 and in America ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Technically not a card game, but TSR came up with this thing as an "answer" to the booming popularity of Wizards of The Coast and their M:tG. The game died so hard it took TSR with it, but I still have a collection of several armies' worth of this stuff.

Did anyone play with these?

FoW. I will have to look at VTES sometime.

Just meant it wasnt really dead, and their is a fairly big online play group for eng speakers.

I think this would be good reskinned as a Dead Space/Aliens, space horror/bughunt game. Instead of health, the player would track the amount of damage to the armored spacesuit. When the spacesuit went to 0, another player could use a special action to patch it up to 1, otherwise the character suffocates.

So space hulk?

Now this was fun.

Ah thanks mate, I may check that out

I've wanted to try Luck & Logic for a while. While still alive, they canned English support for the game earlier this year in favor of that Dragoborne game. It's sad as they did so right after announcing a new anime, which turned out to be pretty good unlike the original L&L anime series. I suppose that it was too crunchy to catch on.

Get a load of this junk

Hey, fuckin' Dark Age! I loved this game. The random resources were a kick in the dick, but I really liked the block and hitstrings on combat, and the art is TOP NOTCH. I got Brom to sign one of these cards at Gencon a few years back.

I can't get into any of these older bushiroad games. Something about there being basically no resource system, or when there is, it's fueled by attacking or discarding to pay for attacks, etc, really makes the game feel like it swings early and really never recovers.

And I assumed that L&L was one of their newer ones, in comparison to Vanguard which is made for a different audience. That makes sense.

Anyone remember this? I think technically it was one of my first CCG.

I think it actually is somewhat new, but it feels like a location-specific weiss. Like, a lot like weiss.

But recently they've got dragoborne, which plays so unlike their other stuff that it must just be a totally different design team

Can you name all these games?

Top far left card is WoW, bottom middle is the EVE: Online one and bottom far right is the Battlestar Galactica one.

I'm still looking for Fight Klub cards, specifically block 3. Anyone?

The classic warcraft tcg not this hearstone stuff we have now

My cousins used to play it, they even had one of those code cards for rare mounts, good times.

Hellboy had a card game?
Top middle looks like some capeshit, second from bottom left looks like 40k art, never actually got into the game.

Confirmed for patrician taste. Did you ever play the Fallen Wizards expansion? Glorious mechanics there.

This got revitalized and is now back in existence. Dragon and Demon Dice. No idea of people play it but they have booth space at gencon.

Magi Nation was the fucking shit. My only complaint was that they cranked out the new factions and made it hard to collect.

Shit was weird as fuck, and was somehow more pay2win than most card games, but was also weirdly fun.

also, more /v/ related, but
>tfw only person excited for Artifact

Speaking of old and "obscure" card games, Doomtrooper Mutant Chronicles is getting a new digital card game. I actually never knew this was a TCG until now and had only played the video game way back when, looks fun so I hope they get to their kickstarter goal and it all goes well for them.

The game was almost exactly like Weiss with a small bit of Wixoss. It was shit, even as a waifu game since it had males. The otiginal anime was garbage as well. How anyone thought it would last at all, even in japan, is beyond me. Honestly should have just made it a weiss set.

Demon dice is a remake of the game Chaos Progenitus.

SFR, the new developers of the games, are making some new dice for these games, but also apparently just selling unsold old merchandise.

Dragon Dice in general is pretty neat, but the big issue with it is that the magic system is a clusterfuck. When you take an action, you roll one of your armies and declare the thing you're trying to do. Melee attack, ranged attack, move, magic. With magic results, you get to cast spells from your "colors", and there's no joke, something north of sixty spells. It's an intensely complex system that takes a relatively simple game and bogs it way the hell down.

Dragoborne is just "we cant release in japan because its literally Duelmasters."

Not that thats bad.

I think that Weiss is fucking terrible, so I guess that it is for the better that I never bought into L&L then. Maybe Dragoborne will actually take off, who knows.

Do spoilers work on tg?
First row
Dreamblade WoW card game old L5R Vs. Spycraft Spoils UFS Monpoc
middle
city of heroes
bottom
7th sea Wars Doomtown EVE online Hecatomb Epic Battlestar

>Dreamblade
>Hecatomb
FUCKKKKKKKK wotc

This was the bulk of my Gencon haul this year.

>Actually so good that it transcends traditional ccg format to something more ttrpg -like.
Unless there's two guys running swarm bleed sitting opposite of each other. Or two people with similar crypt. Or exactly one Enkil Cog. Or Turn 3 Baltimore Purge.

loved this game as well

That looks adorable, tell me more

Had real potential