Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Dungeon edition

What's the best dungeon you've ever DMed or ran through? What kind of dungeon would your character make to put their loot in for the next generation? Does you prefer flagstone, tile, gravel, or dirt floors?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/fr9piFCi (embed)
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31 (embed)

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/forest-guardian-press/savage/
d20pfsrd.com/magic/#TOC-Adding-Spells-to-a-Wizard-s-Spellbo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What's the best dungeon you've ever DMed or ran through? What kind of dungeon would your character make to put their loot in for the next generation? Does you prefer flagstone, tile, gravel, or dirt floors?

It was a flying castle that had crashed and was turned on its side with a self sustaining homunculi colony inside.

Is this too shit of a backstory:
>woke up on a battlefield having be left behind
>was wearing the uniform of the losing side, but most of his belongings, including his boots, had been stolen
>has two journals in code he can’t decifer
>he had evidence of a fairly severe head injury, what he guessed caused the amnesia
>when he finally found a soldier whose colors matched his the soldier immediately began shouting at him and tried to kill him
>he was forced to kill the guy and regrets it terribly
>repeat twice more before he fled and now is wrapped in bandages and pretending to be a leper
>best he can tell is he at least looks like someone who was condemned as a great betrayer and turncoat
>he knows he can’t be this man, feels it in his bones
>needs to find out who he really is

I have a player wanting to play a Savage in my game. It's third party and I've no experience with it. Anyone know if it's an okay class or not?

d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/forest-guardian-press/savage/

There's hope for the SoM magus boys. but how will Sslarn fuck it up?

That looks like it wants to invite me to THE SHRINE OF THE SILVER MONKEY

my guess is wait for it to be released then errata hammer it from orbit, same as paizo

Once again asking if it's better for my Sap Master/Enforcer build to multiclass into fighter for faster feat progression or to suck it up and stay pure Rogue for them Sneak Attack dice!

Honestly nothing memorable comes to mind. Which is weird because Shattered Star sometimes felt like only dungeons. Surely part of that was memorable...

>What kind of dungeon would your character make to put their loot in for the next generation?
Just a huge graveyard with identical graves paced exactly at 10ft distance from each other, coffin is 30ft deep and only one of them has all the loot, every other grave just has a coffin full of bear traps primed to launch out of the coffin as soon as it's as much as brushed against, sending snapping jaws of steel flying at mach speed towards the would be graverobbers. Except the treasure is not in the coffin, it's the experience of camaraderie and friendship shared between the adventurers if they stuck with it for long enough. That,
and a huge pile of gold hidden 5ft under the coffin.

Amnesia is always a bit of a copout story unless your GM is a masterful weaver of tales and the campaign allows you to invest into researching your past without taking the light away from the rest of the party.

I really like the Vilderavn. Greater Entice Fey is 4 hit dice short of summoning it, though. Is there any way to get enough hit dice or through any other means to summon one?

Should spells the wizard has scribed into his spellbook (aside from the free ones gained from leveling) count against his WBL? What about the scrolls he purchased and used up to copy the spells into his book?

Or tell us about how the gun is good, and the penis is evil.

I'd say not, as a cleric/druid/shaman don;t have such a restriction.

Yes. That's one of the only things the Wizard really needs to spend money on, especially if he's a crafter getting magic items at discount prices

Yes, and yes. They should be charged by the wizard, and they also cost money to scribe into a book. It also takes time, an hour per level (1/2 hour for cantrips).

d20pfsrd.com/magic/#TOC-Adding-Spells-to-a-Wizard-s-Spellbo

I hear buff, older, Brevic men with tortured pasts are pretty effective bait.

Still having trouble getting anything out of the trove. Clicking book links goes to an unending load wheel, and I don't know why.

Is there a viable build for a fighter using Dirty Trick manouvers?

>Is there a viable build for a fighter
no

Too bad since it's the next character I'm playing

I got this response in the old thread too, but I don't get it. What is it supposed to mean?

Hey, advanced weapon and armor training have helped turn the fighter around.

Make him a Sphere Caster. Take Telekinesis Sphere, then Telekinetic Manuever talent, then the Improved Dirty Trick feat chain, then Flair talent, then Powerful Telekinesis.

What is Iron Caster

Memeshit

Old Lore Warden if you are going 1pp.

The spells should, at the price they cost to scribe (IE 10 GP for each 1st level, 40 for each 2nd, etc). The scrolls should not, because consumable items shouldn't continue counting against your WBL once they've been used up. WBL is a measure of what you have at a given level, not everything you've ever had over your whole career.

I want to make it a fighter, not a telekinetic caster

What are some of the hints/tips/tricks you've learned as a player that aren't obvious/you don't think many people would know?

What about as a GM?

Are there rules for dwarfism in PF? Like a human being with dwarfism?

Not precisely, but you could probably just play a Human who's small sized and has a base speed of 20 feet.

He IS a fighter. Just one that uses Telekinesis. Stop being a whiny bitch and accept your optimization.

>What about as a GM?
Players are fucking idiots. You could give them a puzzle that's literally "put two rocks on this plate" and they'll spend 7 and a half hours going either "I put the rock in my ass. Does that solve it?" or "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I dunno." or "Can't I just roll to solve it?"

Seriously, I thought people who shop at Wal-Mart were dumb but then I GMed a game once and it was like I was trying to herd cats with ADHD away from the laser disco night club.

>trying to herd cats with ADHD away from the laser disco night club

You've given me the perfect idea for a laser pointer trap that summons a swarm of die housecats I can use in my next urban dungeon!

What if I don't want optimization, but to roleplay a character?

>what if I want to be bad at everything
Then you should stop playing PF and go play a game more your speed. Like 5e.

Gentlemen, behold: Stormwind Fallacy's both sides next to each other, like mother nature intended.

What makes being a fighter mutually exclusive with having telekinetic abilities.

Fuck, Sphere's fluff is versatile as fuck so you don't even need to be a straight up dork wizard to do it?

That being said, if you want to be pure martial only, be a Dirty Trick slayer.

No you didn't, imposter. However, I can answer your question: he refers to bait used for spells such as Entice Fey to successfully summon and bargain with a creature.

>Someone named their vigilante "The Vilderavn"
>Another character in the same game got shipped super hard with this vigilante
>Thread brute-forced the pairing until it came to pass
>Both characters are now entirely defined by shippers

Good job, you're just as much of a sperg as he is.

>What kind of dungeon would your character make to put their loot in for the next generation?
I once had a dream that I was in a world made up of all sorts of bars all next to each other. My current character is a Cleric of Cayden Cailean, and I think if he gets powerful enough he'll create a demiplane like that.

>Rolling for stats is bad
Where did this meme start?

>Does you prefer flagstone, tile, gravel, or dirt floors?
Neither. A comfy turf of buffalograss kept healthy by crystal lights amd bioluminescence fungus in the dungeon's ceiling

If I'm going to make a dungeon, it's going to have its own self sustaining ecosystem

When D&D started requiring/assuming more mechanical competance on part of the PC's/char gen became more involved so making 12+ replacement characters when the cripple got butchered wasn't viable.

Rolling for stats is fine in systems balanced around the fact or in systems where characters of the same class will be more or less mechanically indistinct from each other for a LONG time, like in early editions of D&D. It doesn't work in Pathfidner.

because in a system where stats matter a lot (PF) vs a system where it doesn't (2e) it can ruin serious campaigns with lots of character development. It's a sacred cow.

Jesus, imagine the tabs

It's not a meme, it's a fact. Something that important shouldn't be left entirely up to dice.

"Look, we can't serve you anymore. Why? Because you currently have a tab in a hundred and thirty five bars, all pushing the end point of triple digits."

Thank you both for these references. After a rough day at work, this gave me a giggle.

>"urban fantasy"-themed game set in Egorian, Cheliax
>a highly magical bastardization of Egorian where magic is ubiquitous, conjured planar servitors and necromantic creations are a dime a dozen, and there are many Sigil-style planar portals spread throughout the city
>a chuunibyou-fied version of Egorian where even the average person is a Ranko-tier chuuni or a Koume-tier goth, with an interest in devils and diabolism, even though they may be a legitimately good person
>gothic lolita dresses everywhere
>while technology is not modern, there are plenty of modern-day-isms, like department stores, idol concerts, and illusory advertisements

>the PCs are a motley group of slaves, commoners, nobles, and Hellknights who are part of a government agency
>the PCs are charged with investigating and neutralizing heavily occult disturbances in such a highly magical city
>restless ghosts, unbound outsiders coming in from portals, urban fey causing mischief and mayhem, predators in dreamscapes and mindscapes, manifestations of people's negative emotions, aberrations from the Darklands, cults to dark gods other than devils
>think Ghostbusters, the Dresden Files, magical girls, or just about any one of those "spirit hunters" manga and anime

>discretion is important, as the public dislikes having their activities ceased just for an investigation
>many threats are masters of disguise and/or shapeshifters who infiltrate society, including the gilded halls of the noble houses

>heavy emphasis on psychic magic and the psychic bonds binding together communities
>plenty of peering into the Ethereal Plane to view clusters of emotional energies, which, incidentally, give rise to spiritualists' phantoms
>the medium (empath) from Psionics Augmented: Occult is a perfect archetype thematically, even under the rune seer variant

>episodic game, with combat infrequent but also very difficult and high-stakes

How much potential does this have? How can it be polished? Who is interested in it?

Can confirm, we're dumb as hell.

As stated before in last thread: Remove Chuunibyou elements, and include interactions with other well known ghostbusters in Golarion, like the Sleepless Investigators/ Order of the whatever Eye

Chuunibyou elements are half of the fun in Cheliax.

>the Sleepless Investigators/ Order of the whatever Eye
Maybe some Hellknight orders, and maybe the continental Sleepless Agency, but why the Palatine Eye, which is limited to Ustalav?

>episodic game, with combat infrequent but also very difficult and high-stakes

just actually make the combat challenging because most people around here only think their encounters are challenging when the reality is their players are retarded

Okay, lads. I've done some research and there's no easily-accessible/current list of +1 damage/die stuff for fire and/or evocation. Anyone got suggestions? I know focusing a blaster on fire is ass, it's for a NPC I'm making.

So far I have the old goblin fire drums, flumefire fury, and crossblooded sorcerer.

How bad of an idea would it be to give each of my PCs magic bottles of cure mod. wounds potion that always refill one minute after being quaffed? Is free unlimited out of combat healing as bad idea as some people say? What if I made it so the potions only refill twice per day or something similar, so it's not an endless source?

Also was planning to scale them up to serious and then critical as the party levels.

It makes typical dungeon crawls more boring if you give your characters time to top up their HP. That way they don't have to think about expending that particular resource. Frankly, in my opinion, needing a fuckload of healing between combat is a theorycrafting meme and most parties are better served just using strategy and maybe the odd CLW wand.

>maybe the odd CLW wand

But that reaches a point where it might as well be free

blood havoc and that 1 feat from elemental master's handbook.

Flumefire fury is the feat from elemental master's, yeah. Thanks for blood havoc.

Unlimited healing between fights is fantastic and makes sure your party can take on every challenge at their best.
This might not be a good thing for GMs who WANT a worn down party to be endangered by things that usually wouldn't threaten them at all, but to me that sounds like wasting their time when they could be having another proper battle against something their own size.

I got a question, for character ideas, one idea was me thinking about making a mounted character and then it struck me, how does one make a mounted martialist that is not a one trick pony? I would rather not be a glorified homing missile

The way I saw it, the party's other resources like spells and daily abilities can get worn down instead and it'll still put stress on them. I don't mind them getting KO'd for pushing their limits too far, but I don't want it to just be because they walked into a fight they should have won with

Can an Orc and Elf breed?

Half-Elves and Half-Orcs exist, so they are both compatible with Humans, so surely they are compatible with each other?

My headcanon with humanoid species is that they're all the same species, but different breeds. Sort of like dogs.

there's of course some outliers that don't fit in - notably lizardfolk and kobolds - but for shit like humans, orcs, elves, dwarves, halflings? Yeah, it makes sense.

Why is it cool for them to manage other daily resources and win/lose because of them but not HP? Serious question. Personally I prefer a challenge to coddling and winning when I was just barely above 0 HP always feels more satisfying to me.

You'd probably need to homebrew it, and for mechanical purposes I'd just have one parent eclipse the other to the point that their offspring are functionally just orcs.

But maybe that's all the orc-on-elf hentai talking.

>I prefer a challenge
So fight real enemies that give you a run for your money even at full health.

>winning when I was just barely above 0 HP always feels more satisfying to me
This can happen in a single fight every time if the enemies aren't pushovers.

According to Dreamscarred Press' playtest, yes.

I have always found that players tend to do stupid shit when you present them with a neutral party. Players, in my experience, immediately try and classify every NPC, organization, and group they encounter into friend or foe, and when someone sits in the middle and is either indifferent or simply only tangentially related to things they immediately hit a wall.

What I have also found is that in these situations players most often default to 'if he isn't with us he's against us' and classifies every neutral party as an enemy, and then with their confusion coupled with the sudden classification immediately get defensive/hostile.

Is there some way to teach players not to act like paranoid sociopaths?

So can dogs and people, according to them.

Okay, so how far can I push my female paladin of kugress without letting the group know I'm pretty much just rolling up my magical realm/waifu

Dogs and HALFLINGs, you mean.

What I do in my setting is separate folks into "Of the Plains, Of the Mountain, and Of the Forrest". Each grouping of these three can interbreed and are the same species, just subspecies. Examples include:

>Humans (Of the Plains)
>Elves (Of the Forest)
>Orcs (Of the Mountains)

>Halflings (Of the Plains)
>Gnomes (Of the Forest)
>Dwarves (Of the Mountains)

>Goblins (Of the Planes)
>Bugbears (Of the Forest)
>Hobgoblins (Of the Mountains)

I changed their lore and appearances slightly accordingly and halfbreed examples exist among each of the groupings meaning you get 7 distinct races per grouping (3 primary, 3 half races, 1 mutt race).

SoM Scoundrel Sphere + SoP Custom Destruction Blast that let's you make two Dirty Tricks on a hit + Energy Blade and Improved Energy Blade.

Not necessarily. You can have situations where organisms A and B are compatible, and B and C are compatible, but A and C aren't. There's a specific term for it but I'm forgetting right now

Spheres of Might. Coiled Blade Archetype Fighter. You'll want to focus on the Scoundrel Sphere, basically all its talents enhance Dirty Trick. Other spheres with good dirty trick talents are Lancer Sphere for Painful Twist and the Wrestling Sphere for Heel Tactics.

So I already asked last thread, but I just wanna ask again in this thread since I only got one answer last thread

But what are some none standard races that are interesting or fun to play for you guys?

>Anonymous
We ended up invading some evil cult's temple. It was a weird selection of large, cube rooms with hatches on each side. Honestly my first thought was that the GM was lazy, but when we looked up we saw a treasure chest attached to the ceiling. We figured there was some weird gravity shenanigans going on and one of the group tried to teleport to it, they vanished without so much as a saving throw.

We weren't happy about that, but figured he was probably still alive and moved on. We try turning back after the hatch slams shut behind us, only to realise that it wasn't the way we came.

At this point, i'm going "I've seen this movie!", but the curse of a low-int character means there's no way in heck they would know about it, and while other players make some knowledge checks nobody rolls very well. Still, we at least start marking where we've been.

We end up finding enemy cultists, and something weird is going on because there are cultists on the ceiling, AND on the walls, moving as if they were on the floor. A lot of the group (including me) are melee focused so it's a tough fight, but we ultimately succeed, although a few manage to escape.

A bit more wandering and after a few not-so-subtle hints from the GM we FINALLY someone manages to figure out that this temple is a Tesseract. After a lot of difficulty we manage to capture a cultist and convince him to lead us out. Only to find our "friend" outside, who, I wish I was joking, managed to find the exit in spite of teleporting to a completely random point in the tesseract through sheer dumb luck (or maybe the GM was being nice, i'm not sure, he said he had it mapped out but I never got a look).

Tieflings and suli. They usually lend themselves to the widest range of roles that make for an interesting character.

Is there a Magma Plane between the Planes of Eartha and Fire, and corresponding elemental mixes for the other combinations? In Golarion, I mean.

GOBLINOIDS.

If I'm a lich, can I cast Hardening on myself?

What would it do? Does Hardness correlate to AC?

>If I'm a lich, can I cast Hardening on myself?
No, you're a creature, not an object.

No I'm a lich who animates bones which are objects.

You're a lich, not animated bones.

If you're going to munchkin, at least don't be the retarded. You are an undead creature.

No, you're a Lich. A Lich is a creature.

A human corpse is also an object, this does not make a human an object. The same with an animated skeleton.

What if he's a bunch of inanimate bones on invisible puppet strings manipulated from above by an invisible goblin lich?

Then the bones are objects, which have their own HP and hardness, which has no bearing on whether the actual lich is hurt.

Then that is an object and not a lich.
What the fuck are you even trying to do?

OK how about this

I'm a NEET Bladebound Magus Lich living in my lich cave browsing 4Lich all day, while an undead follower in a hooded cloak which i cast "fuck you big boy hardening" on is out there adventuring using my bound blade turned phylactery, which let me remind you, is base hardness of 20 as a phylactery, is +5 due to me being level 20, and is also increased by 11 due to death knell hardening for a grand total of 36 Hardness?

I don't want to leave my lich cave, but I want to adventure. so my bound blade phylactery is doing it for me by using my undead minion.

If you're a Magus you have a spell that just gives you DR, you know that right? It's not bad DR either.

speaking of bones

>yo GM, what's the deal with a player making a bones oracle, this won't be an evil campaign what's up
>don't worry about it user, they're CN

That's retarded, but if you cast it on the blade it should be fine.

That's really retarded though.

Just project your consciousness out of your cave and possess someone. Be sure to return periodically or your body will become a demilich though, rotting into dust until all that remains is a skull sitting in a pile of stale memes.

>I don't want to leave my lich cave, but I want to adventure. so my bound blade phylactery is doing it for me by using my undead minion.
That is comically suicidal.

It would be fun to play though.

I don't power game I make fun characters.

Nothing wrong with CN. I've seen way more LN and LE ruin games.

I often get people jumping at me when I try to make LG characters, which is stupid.