Giant Combat Thread 2.0: "Pocket" Healer Edition

Giant Combat Thread 2.0: "Pocket" Healer Edition

Previous thread:
ITT, we discuss combat against or with giants/giantesses, best ways to help and hinder them at different size scales.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/TstNcnW4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Babylon
pastebin.com/bFEwm6G1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Something I've wondered about is giant weapons, or rather things beyond "really big clubs", anyone got ideas?
Would they just typically be magical ones or could a giant get enough metal/whatever to make a normal, if huge, one?

Go back /d/

In many fantasy settings, there are mega-trees, so a giant wooden club is pretty reasonable. Metal weapons of giant scale, however, are more difficult. If we are talking 9 foot persons, they may make them a blade. 15 to 30 footers, much more doubtful, and above that: unless this giant is a big investment from a patron kingdom with lots of resources, that's not happening.

It's highly unlikely that anybody over 10' would be able to get enough to get enough viable metal to make a full-sized weapon bigger than a dagger, let alone armor. It's my understanding that even 6'+ knights were annoying to outfit and commonly had holes or weak points in their armor.

It's not a question of whether or not you can get metal; there's certainly enough physical metal. The issue is getting large quantities of metal that's viable with limited refining and mining methods. We could POSSIBLY outfit smaller giants in medieval style getups today (and larger ones could probably get some sort of aluminium alloy partial plate), but the refining methods of most fantasy settings outright require equipment to be just as magical and nonsensical as the giants themselves have to be.

I've always like the giants as grapplers and strikers, an informal sort of MMA that they just develop dealing with other giant creatures.

Understandable I suppose, outside of blatant magic I guess giants would have to stick with clubs
Now that I'm thinking about it, are there any rules for price differences in making larger/smaller magic items?

That's sorta how I always figured they'd fight something equal their size too

Veeky Forums is the reason /d/ doesn't gross me out

You might joke about it but there were times when we genuinely grossed out /d/.

Of all of the games I've played, I've only seen that in 3.5e, and only for specific items that say so. Otherwise they resize themselves magically because magic, or just can't be made that big/small at all.

So, we all talk about giantesses, but hold on, is there any advantage or disadvantage, tactically, to being a male or female giant?

Story?

Other than a giant using his wang as a siege weapon, I can't really see any.

something something rape factory

Here.

pastebin.com/TstNcnW4

Don't ever say you weren't warned.

Are we talking not!medieval europe here user? Because then, metal shouldn't be that much of a problem, even if it's just bronze armour. The bigger problem would be smithing techniques and time required to make functional armour for a giant. The weight would be a problem due to the required thickness of the material.

Huh, so giants with affinity for making magic items might be a good fit

Lewd aside, I imagine that it's a lot more disruptive if a male giant pops a boner. A lot harder to ignore, too.

A game project I'm working on now actually puts magic in favor of the giants, partially because they can't reasonably use martial weaponry and partially because they have deeper ties to magic than the smaller races do.

Well, in the last thread, one of the ways a Knight toppled a giant was by chopping off his penis, so I'd imagine that, in that regard, being a male would be a huge disadvantage.

However, a giantess going through a period would lose a lot more blood, simply due to her size and proportional blood pressure and volume. I also imagine that may go horribly for those below.
Also, giantesses may have less visibility on direct targets, those going for their feet, given their mammaries.

>Lots of old myths had giants guarding wondrous magical items
>Because there's no cost difference in resizing magic items, it's cheapest in game for giants to make EVERYTHING magic than mundain
I like this idea, I really like it

GURPS Pryamid #3/77: Combat covers fighting giant creatures in great detail in an article titled "Combat Writ Large." Some of what it covers is common sense, namely the idea of using the "combat at different heights" rules when there's a large height difference, and applying relative size as a modifier to skill (Size 1 creature gets -1 to hit a Size 0 creature, etc.). Other parts of the article give ideas on how to handle climbing monsters aside from just a normal skill roll, and what to do when a very large creature casually moves through a much smaller one.

>GIANT
>DICK
>SIEGE RAM
stop it user, I can only get so erect

>Other parts of the article give ideas on how to handle climbing monsters aside from just a normal skill roll, and what to do when a very large creature casually moves through a much smaller one.
Examples of these ones?

He could literally pound a castle to death.

Could you please stop trying to get the thread deleted?
I honestly want to talk about the logistics of giant combat and making them fit in a fantasy world

>making them fit in a fantasy world
>implying a fantasy world has to use physics
Just say they exist my dude.

A good giant weapon might be armored boots, or knives made of the bones of hige creatures or other giants.

Males have to worry about dick shots, females don't, but they would be more at risk for being destroyed from the inside out. Even fetish stuff aside, that could be a legitimate tactic.

Question Veeky Forums, do you prefer giants to be solitary/in small groups or actual kingdoms

Yes, but how do they interact with the world?
How do other nations near giant land defend themselves?
Is there megafauna they hunt/farm? Megaflora?
Are they solitary and wild or is there a giant civilization?
Even if nothing else comes of it, bouncing ideas off of Veeky Forums is where I've gotten my best ones, and it really makes me sad that there are folks on Veeky Forums who will pitch a fit about trying to do that just cause a couple of anons get their dick hard to the idea of big people.
If you don't like it, why not just y'know, ignore it?
Just cause a couple of people are making a few posts about that doesn't mean you can't keep talking about worldbuilding ideas

>Monster bone weaponry
That's pretty good actually, lets you bullshit sharpness/weight for the material if you like too
There's probably some huge monster with bones like iron

>Even fetish stuff aside, that could be a legitimate tactic.
So like what?
Teleport explosives inside them?

Here's an idea.

Giants can be found solitary at first, maybe the first arc BBEG is a giant...
But the second arc is discovering there is an entire kingdom of these giants on anothrr continent, and perhaps, they've been looking to explore other continents...

Maybe, but you could do that to males too.
Again, fetishes aside, it's not insane to literally fly into an unguarded orface and just start hacking your way through her guts until she dies.

I like my giants to be kinda like elephants. Some of them (mostly males) are solitary and only interact with the rest of giant-kind on occasion. All the rest live in large extended family groups.

>Yes, but how do they interact with the world?
By raiding towns and destroying shit.
>How do other nations near giant land defend themselves?
large walls and large weapons. A cannon or dragonator should fuck up a giant. Possible large pitfall traps.
>Is there megafauna they hunt/farm? Megaflora?
No, they eat many smaller creatures. Like a whale. Unless you can't dire bears as megafauna.
>Are they solitary and wild or is there a giant civilization?
Solitary.
>If you don't like it, why not just y'know, ignore it?
If I didn't like it I wouldn't be posting. Trying to apply real world physics to a fantasy world is often pointless because its fantasy. The rules don't have to make sense in the context of our world as long as the fastasy rules don't contradict themselves.
Further more if you don't like some user shitposting why don't you take your own advice and just ignore it.

As for combat, having different targetable limbs on a giant creature can provide some interesting options. For example if you target the arm and do enough damage to it then that arm could become useless or have severe penalties over the course of the fight.

For climbing, the monster-rider makes a grapple attempt using the best of either DX, grappling skill, OR climbing. The monster can defend normally.

If the monster-rider succeeds, he has successfully started climbing. He can climb at a speed of 1 yard per turn (but there are advantages to speed this up), and if the monster is large and flat enough (or the climber has Perfect Balance) he could even run (costs extra movement points per hex, though).

The climber can opt to free a hand to attack while climbing, but he is of course penalized on his attack rolls and any rolls to resist being shaken off.

The monster can decide to buck its climber off at any time on its turn as a regular attack - just roll a contest of monster's DX or grappling skill vs climbers DX, grappling skill, or climbing. If the climber fails to hold on, he falls down from a height of half the monster's longest dimension - the monster reared up and the climber fell. Success means the climber stays put. The monster could also decide to roll over as an attack instead, and this doesn't require a contest because the monster simply does it. The climber is free to defend, success means he successfully jumps off and lands without taking damage, but if he fails he suffers full trampling damage. The climber could opt to stay on the monster while it rolls, but has to roll against DX, best grappling skill, climbing, or riding (monster type) - success means the climber keeps ahold but automatically takes damage, and failure means being rolled on and letting go.

I am reminded of one old turn based strategy game, actually a mod for civ 4, had giants as high powered barbarian units early on, one of the later iterations of it had an actual giant civilization (though it was really giants as a ruling cast, smaller folk as the common folk) with the barbarian ones actually being outcasts/giants who had gone feral during the nearly world ending winter

I could see this structure being good for less civilized giants, would they be nomadic or settle down and hold territory do you think?
I'd assume a bit of both depending on time of year

>large walls and large weapons. A cannon or dragonator should fuck up a giant. Possible large pitfall traps.
I would assume balistas before canons, but pitfall traps are a good idea actually
Or dry moats with pikes in them

>No, they eat many smaller creatures. Like a whale. Unless you can't dire bears as megafauna.
I meant things like giant sized animals/monsters
I tend to assume at least some exists in a fantasy setting in the uninhabited areas

>If I didn't like it I wouldn't be posting. Trying to apply real world physics to a fantasy world is often pointless because its fantasy. The rules don't have to make sense in the context of our world as long as the fastasy rules don't contradict themselves.
I don't mean apply physics to them, so much as I mean "Assume they exist and work as advertised (Huge humans in most cases), work out how the rest of the setting reacts/develops"

D&D's always had an odd rule to me about swallow whole, where a monster's insides gets it's natural armor, though I suppose touch attacks are REAL easy from the inside

>As for combat, having different targetable limbs on a giant creature can provide some interesting options. For example if you target the arm and do enough damage to it then that arm could become useless or have severe penalties over the course of the fight.
I'd love a system like this for really big monsters in D&D, so it just doesn't become a matter of "Hit one spot until it bleeds out"

Huh, that's actually pretty good, can the rider make attacks while on the monster?

Like I said, just hit the fuckers

Question: How you all run/consider running giant that is different from a titan or colossus? The last thread got me thinking about their stats in combat and I didn't realize titans can be quite intelligent (this depends on what type of course-see storm titans). Do they ever have classes in your games? How about wizards, tinkerer, psion?

Look I just want to know if my mystical, book-worm waifu comes in X-large.

I don't see why not?
I assume any monster with an int of 3 or greater (fun fact, this includes the tarrasque) can have class levels, though for titans I'd guess it's probably mixed in with additional HD, my 3.5 monster manual lists giant advancement as "By character class" so if your waifu is a storm giant, any higher than level one and she'll have a class, pick a nice bookish one
Though titans do seem to have a leg up in stats and grow with HD so if you want a big waifu....

Colossi are constructs in 3.5, not sure how things are in 4/5e though

>I could see this structure being good for less civilized giants, would they be nomadic or settle down and hold territory do you think?
I don't think it has to just be savage giants, and I'd say it depends on the kind of giant. Some Giants might be sedentary and live off their own labours (or human slaves), while some might herd mammoths and wander constantly. Hell, some giants have really funky magic and live in clouds; maybe they sustain themselves that way.

If you want to stat giants with class levels, it's good to make them gestalt characters instead of just giving them more levels.

What is this? A giant picture for ants?

As noted, giants advance by character level apparently, not HD
Titans do though

What if that doesn't work?

Slings. Kill castles from a mile away.

Find a way to make it work

Yes the rider can make attacks while on the monster, as well as perform other actions.

The rider's 1 yard/turn is technically a step, so other actions are possible. If the rider moves his "step" (i.e. climbs up a yard during his turn) and then attempts any other action, he is at -2 (or -4 if the monster attacked or dodged on its last turn) for that other action. If the rider frees a hand, such as an attack, there is an additional -2 (or -4) on any DX and DX-based skill rolls, and half that (-1 or -2) on any active defenses. If he is running, he takes -2 (or -4) on any actions (and -1 or -2 on active defenses), and cannot use Riding, Grappling or Climbing to defend himself (just DX or Acrobatics).

Why have I never thought of that?
I usually just had them hurl stones, but a sling would massively increase their range and it relatively cheap to make

Huh, thanks

I have to be honest, when you just get intelligent, basically Human giants, you should escalate the threats too

There is no reason D&D fire giants aren't a dominant race in the world. They are organized, well armed and armored, just as smart as humans, and 14 feet tall.

Plus being immune to fire and toxic gases lets you just burn the fuck out of the battlefield against puny humans.

Hit them harder.

Now I want to play a game where the party consists of monstrous or otherwise unlikely characters (giants, dragons ect) who fight shit that normal adventurers can't handle.

Mostly because I just want to play a giant and punch out giant monsters

There's always something bigger out there in DnD land

You're in luck, there's a whole ton of beat 'em ups about it. You can probably emulate King of the Monsters on a literal toaster now

Well I meant more in the RPG fashion

>Godzilla beating Ultraman and Daizyuzin
I love the big guy as much as the next, but not even Godzilla can fight against actual gods.

Maybe if it was a Godzilla type game, where some other Giant monster is riling you up.

Or if you were just Aliens fighting for the honor/money/lulz/evulz.

>Knight challenges giantess knight to a duel
>For him, it's the fight of his life
>For her, it's a fun game

So the space ghost shoots the dude up with lightning as he sensually humps the giant robot overtop the municipal building?

The city council won't be pleased about this.

One more pic before I turn in for bed

One more actually

Gimme some stranger and unusual Giants you don't usually see get posted

>the reflections of the astronaut and alien on the robot's chassis
Is this how artists show off?

Yes, user... the best drawfags know how to get those little details in there just right.

Periods might not affect giantesses, the reason human vaginas are so messed up in the first place is because making it so human heads can fit through causes a cascade of problems. So depending how large they are when born, they won't have this problem.

Show me what you got, Veeky Forums. Give me pictures of small Humans and giant Aliums and other massive Monsters

Well regardless of whether or not the vagina is messed up, the fact is that she would still have to shed the built-up Uterine lining, resulting in blood loss. But, even if that is not an issue for ger, it does not negate the dangers of blood for anyone below or around her.

I mean, i assume that giant babies would be proportionally large with their mothers, they would probably suffer from the same ill-effects

Niefelheim a-go-go

Dark Souls 2 ?

>eyes larger than castles

a gun

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Babylon
The physics behind giant cannons are hugely impracticable

All sorts of things you can normally neglect are large enough to be significant

Where is the cutoff point between a really tall people/race and proper giants?
Would Amazons that are +8ft fall into the realm of giants or just really huge people?

9 feet, I think.

Taller than the tallest basketball player (7'6")

I said I was going to write something based on this and I did, so here it is: pastebin.com/bFEwm6G1

I didn't really have a plan when I started, and I'm not really sure what I ended up with, but hopefully someone will enjoy it.

That would mean that giants has walked the earth, the tallest man on record was almost 9 ft.

So too have Dwarves and Halflings.

Isn't that also due to how fucked up the human reproductive system is?

I'd say anything under 15 feet shouldn't be called a giant

Thanks, looks nice from what I skimmed so far, I'll give it a full read when I get the chance

Same with huge swords

I liked it. Vore is not my thing but it's cute and relatively well-written. The most glaring point I notice is that at one point the giantess wields a hammer, and later an axe. Minor inconsistency aside, I'd like to see more.

looks like he's checking his pulse to me.

Isn't this the guy who died from complications of having nerve damage in his legs, the nerve damage itself a side effect of being so damned tall?

Set it in the future, now they have:
Rail guns and Laser Cannons
Lightsabers replacing swords

Infection due to a malfitted brace.

They literally called really tall people giants back in the day. I think the cutoff was 8 feet?

At least one ponce had an entire company if them in his army.
Traded them for a room enturely paneled with carved amber, IIRC.

>Player 1 is a Godzilla-sized space dragon
>Player 2 is a regular human
>P1 needs P2 to ride with them and operate the suit's electronics so they can concentrate on fighting

I'd play it

A whole shittonne of issues, but essentially his entire circulatory and nervous system were stretched far too thin, and subject to far too big a height differential, so when he started having issues with his legs on tour (infection, blisters, etc.) He couldn't feel any of it, and he ended up leaving it all to the point where it was far worse than any normal person would let it get to.

Turns out square cube law is important, and you can't just scale humans up.

It is called "Clickbait" bro a common thing on the Internet you probably have never heard of it before.

I'd say 12 ft is when I'd stop calling her an amazon

You’d have to fight even bigger monsters, feels like an Apocalypse setting or just really small people

What started as an invasion turned into an uneasy alliance once humans saw what the kaiju were running from.
Neither side could face it alone, but kaiju with human weapons just might stand a chance.