As we all know D&D belongs in a trashcan so what systems does Veeky Forums prefer for fantasy roleplay...

As we all know D&D belongs in a trashcan so what systems does Veeky Forums prefer for fantasy roleplay? I've been looking for a classless fantasy setting that is somewhat simulationist, Mythras and GURPS have both struck my interest but I wanted recommendations for anything else that might that might fit the role.

Depends on what flavour of fantasy.

Possibly Torchbearer for your idea.

>so what systems does Veeky Forums prefer for fantasy roleplay?
Dungeons and Dragons

Pathfinder.

How is Torchbearer? I have the book but haven't gotten a chance to play it. If I ever do I'll have to GM

>I've been looking for a classless fantasy setting that is somewhat simulationist
>I don't know anything about GNS theory but like to throw around jargon anyway to sound smart
Simulating what? How much is "somewhat?" Your post is hopelessly broad, so you're just going to get people shouting their favorite system at you. If by "simulationist" you mean the Veeky Forums definition of "autistically complicated," ya, GURPS is a good choice

Eh. Just skimmed trough, not having even read it. Seems.. dedicated, they actually want you to have survival dungeoneering experience. Can't say anything more.

OP, you want Dungeon World. It's fast, with a strong core mechanic built to enhance the story, not restrict it like the shitty D&D mechanics. Failure in Dungeon World is actually interesting, and all of the abilities are codified into the core mechanic to make it fast, fun, and easy to use. The combat is also much, much better. A dragon doesn't need 300 hit points to be challenging like it does in D&D, it can do stuff that's actually terrifying, like rip a character's arm off. Also, armor is damage reduction so no more of this "less likely to hit, but still does full damage if it does hit" bullshit. The monster stats are incredibly light, character creation is extremely fast and fluid, with just as many options as D&D when you consider that most of D&D is trap options. There is no powergaming in Dungeon World, just a fast story-based game that still has the mechanics from D&D that you love (hit points, classes, etc) but with much stronger mechanics that lead to a more fulfilling roleplaying experience.

My last session of Dungeon World, my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window into the castle moat. That is real roleplaying, not babby D&D shit where you have to make two different rolls and then have some autist look up how far you can move about while grappling. Dungeon World is about fun and good story, not rules and combat bullshit.

These, Veeky Forums is just contrarian and doesn't not play D&D itself.

>classless fantasy setting
>plays generic human fighter
>superior roleplaying

Old School D&D

Is this copypasta? Why does every person promoting DW sound exactly the same. Also,
>D&D
>D&D
>D&D
>D&D
Why are the only apparent selling points of this game "fail forward" and "it's not D&D?" For that matter, why does it seem like the only D&D you've ever played is 3.PF? Did you start on 3.PF, try DW, and never play any other system ever again? Because that would explain a lot.

You managed to try and sell me on a game that touched on none of my prerequisites. This is ACTUAL shilling, isn't it?

>so what systems does Veeky Forums prefer for fantasy roleplay?
sorry frendo, D&D is my preferred system

but if your after a classless fantasy simulacrum may be GURPS, Pathfinder, Exalted or even Dark Heresy.
depending on what you're trying to simulate.

this... is a copy pasta... right?

yes
lurk moar

You can't get any more simulationist than The Black Eye. Well, except the latest edition, you'll have to look for older edition, but I don't know how much was translated into English, so that's likely a problem.

Guess you better stick with GURPS or any similar "genre-open" system.

Burning wheel if you want character oriented game

I like D&D though

These are the only systems you need, as well as the only ones worth a damn.

Reading through Burning Wheel is making my head spin. I feel like I would be able to process all of this were it in physical form but reading this on a screen makes me feel like I'm shredding my mind with a cheese grater.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
It's got "fantasy roleplay" right there in the title

When did I say it was classless? Dungeon World has classes. They are also a lot better than the classes in D&D, because they aren't designed with powergaming in mind.

I was thinking of something without an established setting, is Zweihander any good? It's like WHFP 2.5 right? Essentially as Pathfinder is to 3.5

Check out GURPS' Dungeon Fantasy. Good stuff.
And then you can start using GURPS for everything else, too.

GURPS doesn't handle heroic fantasy well.

I've heard that Warhammer:Fantasy Roleplay is much more popular than D&D in Eastern Europe.

Runequest

Almost anything is more popular in europe than d&d

European here.

This is false... depending on where you are. Places usually have their own "national" competitor that does pretty good, but D&D is always a strong contender for "most popular".

Not sure why this matters though.

It is now.

D&D.

Because it's the only game that anyone wants to play. Most of the alternatives I've seen Veeky Forums tout as the best thing since butter have all come up short.

Yes, it's pasta.

DW is actually... okay. It's an OK alternative to D&D that's got a decent amount of support because it is popular in its niche. As far as fantasy PbtA systems go, there's probably better ones (Fellowship and I think Broken Kingdoms are cited as ones).

Depends on whether you want a roleplaying game that tells you how to roleplay based on stats vs. a roleplaying game where they don't have rules for roleplaying, and the GM ultimately decides.

Also on whether your campaign is to be combat heavy or roleplay heavy. In a roleplay heavy game, I'd suggest going freeform or GURPS. D&D is better for combat heavy campaigns, though some might do it better.

dungeon world for example is quoted as an alternative to D&D but these are the stats for the monsters. This is the fluff, the art, the crunch. That's it. Just page after page of this shit. Who makes a book like this and thinks "Hey I deserve to be paid the same as the guys who make D&D"
It's a fucking joke. "LOL DM YOU DO IT ALL" and a bunch of millenial bullshit about crafting your campaign world around your player -the game system.

D&D may have it's flaws, but really makes you think about dungeon world. Now the spell system is pretty cool but...I just hate how developers have tricked DMs into thinking that "LOL MAKE STUFF UP LOL" is a good replacement for games mechanics that are well made.

D&D

Burning Wheel

Savage Worlds

WARHAMMER FANTASY ROLEPLAY 2ND EDITION THE GOLDEN GOD OF FANTASY ROLEPLAYING

If you want peasants then Ars Magica can be pretty hilarious.

DW isn't a system, it's a mod for Apocalypse World, which is supposed to be a fucking crazy collective roleplaying experience. DW lacks 90% of what makes AW fun.

-Warhammer fantasy roleplay 1e or 2e;
-Harp (high adventure role play): it's practicallly rolemaster lite;
-Cthulhu dark ages;

I've been looking for a similar system for while, not yet found one that scratches all the itches

Mythras is pretty cool, but the combat system is a bit fiddly. The combat is the sort of thing thats all cool, detailed, and realistic, and you enjoy it the first time you play it but it becomes a chore after that because its too much of a simulation and so takes a long time.

Burning wheel is almost perfect if you are looking for something slightly less simulationist and more character drama focused. Its advancement/reward cycle is the best I've seen for developing interesting characters (provided players understand how the mechanics interact). If the book makes your head spin its best to read someone else explain the purpose behind the different mechanics first. Its actually a fairly lite system if you avoid the advanced conflict mechanics, which you can do.
The problem is you have to choose between resolving conflicts in a few rolls, or those advance conflict mechanics which again are cool and detailed, but get tiring. character creation is also very detailed and takes a while, my group weren't fans.

I would stay away from gurps as a general rule, always seen it as a "dry" "paint by numbers" system. might be good for heavy simulationism i guess.

reign enchiridion is on my radar, take a look at that

>I would stay away from gurps as a general rule, always seen it as a "dry" "paint by numbers" system. might be good for heavy simulationism i guess.

In my experience is quite the opposite: once set the system itself become 'transparent' as if there isn't a system to begin with. But, once again, it's MY experience

I like The Burning Wheel a lot. It actually encourages roleplaying, and is pretty open ended with a big point buy based character creation system. While the system by default goes for the atmosphere of the works of JRR Tolkein and Ursula K Leguin, it has a book for an Indian inspired fantasy setting among other things.

Beyond the Wall

Porting the Fellowship combat to DW fixes most of the big problems with it, but you still end up with a pretty lame game in the end, because the class features are too boring. Homebrewing classes or nabbing them from 3rd party books is a must.

You can run GURPS a million different ways. Look at the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy books. It sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

This. The 3rd party playbooks know PbtA a lot better than the attempt to cram D&D classes into a playbook in the core line. Even the Immolator and Barbarian are better than the core classes.

I played a Cleric and then a Priest and the difference and how much fun DW is with a better designed class is staggering.

This is from the Beyond the Wall bestiary. This kind of barebones stuff is par for the course with OSR and works very well because as a GM your job is to create a setpiece for a scene, not know pages and pages of lore on the matter.

DW isn't priced anywhere near DnD, anyways, and the Naga description is more than serviceable. You can sperg out over the minotaur if you want.

There is a supplement for Mythras called Classic Fantasy that is worth a look if you really like miniatures combat. Other than that Mythras has been the best game system I have used.

It's 10/10 copypasta shilling

>peasants
Isn't Ars Magica known for it's magic system? Is there a point to playing a peasant, I feel like it would seem like a waste.

OD&D/AD&D/BX/etc.

I don't think nobody uses the GNS lingo with any accuracy, especially not here. It's just a shorthand for memeing while sounding smart.

Burning Wheel and War Hammer Fantasy RPG are great.