/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
In the 31st Century, pumpkin-kind was once again at war, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-10-24 - Still getting worked on & now has 20208 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-09-16!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57860.0
mediafire.com/file/152ihabdidipdbl/11000 - Classic Battletech Universe.pdf
picarto.tv/dedstreams
youtube.com/watch?v=JQLF37csfhI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I ask from ignorance, but how would you use a Dasher / Puma combination?
Assuming TRO:3050 only, Final Destination? 3 Fire Moth Ds, 1 Adder Prime, 1 Adder C. If 3050U, replace Fire Moth Ds with Fire Moth Hs.

Checked. Have a Gunslinger in response.

Looks like this thread is quads edition.

Post dem Quads

Ey are those my animated water hexes?

neat.png

wonder if kept the source files around...

You got it buddy. Have a sekrit Celestial clone for the Republic.

>Post dem Quads

Never actually came up with an actual design for this one. It's Vision's quad from episode 7 of the original Bubblegum Crisis, "Double Vision".

>3 fucking stormcrows ripe for salvaging
>breakthrough (attacker) so defender controls battlefield
FUCK

AMS; yes or no?
personally, I'm fine with it on mechs with energy weapons but I don't like them on ballistic/missile mechs since it's just another potential ammo explosion.

>AMS
Not great, can be fun trolling your opponent who uses Thunderbolts.

>on energy mechs
What the fuck? No. You're flashbulb, why would you want a possible heat caused ammo explosion?

>ballistics/missile
Sure why not. How did you get this so backwards?

In MW vidya? Hell yes, always if possible. MWO there are mooks that do triple AMS builds and rack up the points being a LRM holocaust. MW4 it's a great way to kill a spare ton.

Table top? Eh, at best. LAMS even worse imho. If the OPFOR has thunderbolts, they are worth weight in gold.

I find them to be best on Vees

I think that there is no problem with having AMS in the era in which CASEII can be equipped.

LPL, 2 MPL, SSRM6, AP. Hrm. 40 tons?

>MRM-20
For what purpose? Even with the Apollo it's really not worth the tonnage.

MRMs may be awful, but any quads with them?

Bishamon

>Bishamon
I'll look it up thanks!

Prepare to be underwhelmed.

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57860.0 Brent Evans tells us his plans for the line

It's MRMs and Quad, I don't expect much.

Hey guys, I was directed here from /m/

Basically, I want to get into Battletech, where do I begin?

I already have people that like tabletop games, so that's not a problem. I'm trying to look for starter sets, but the introductory set is seeing is $250+, when about $150 is more around my budget for a starting set.

Also, I'm reading "Decision at Thunder Rift," should I just keep reading he novels in release order?

ANOTHER FUCKING QUESTION ABOUT THE WOLVERINES. No one cares, Jesus. And the iATM is not coming to an Inner Sphere near you any time soon.

MRM was selected from the limit of equipment slot and shooting distance.
Up to eight hexes can be used with the same feeling as ERML and it will be expected 5 + 5 + 2 point clusters.

The Intro Set is currently out of print, so that's why it's sky high. Normally the Intro Box is 40 to 60 dollars. If you're looking for fluff, start with this: mediafire.com/file/152ihabdidipdbl/11000 - Classic Battletech Universe.pdf . It's a very basic overview of the setting from its relative start to the (then modern day) of 3067. If you like the feel, pick an era and go with that.

>Also, I'm reading "Decision at Thunder Rift," should I just keep reading he novels in release order?
You can for the most part, yeah. The Clan books will be confusing though.

Get the megamek program and play a few matches against the bot to learn how a match progresses.

>should I just keep reading he novels in release order?

I'd say read some of the better novels first, some of the BTech novels can be hit or miss.

HE'S A FUCKING MOC FAN REEEEEEEE

Yes but the MRM is barely effective. You're better off with an LRM-10 so you can get some actual long range fire out. I guess you do you, but I'd prefer utility over barely useful.

Ah, love those quads.

Too bad that's not a good one.

Well that's... very Drac.

The same... Feeling?

Sorry, I don't what you're saying here

Follow on from that

I don't follow you

Two nukes wasn't enough.

When the heat generation of medium range weapons was suppressed to 28, it became like an image.

Since Rampage's heat dissipation capacity is 26, I decide this heat amount in consideration of two points of heat generation [Running] or [Walking + AMS].
MRM is useful for raising the amount of damage within the range of 28 points of heat.

Busy with work, did this one quick for the stream channel.

Generally no. You'll usually get better protection overall out of an ECM Suite.

The rules change has made them much better for endurance but much worse at shooting tons of missiles down.

>ilClan next year, he says.

Pull the other one, Brent. It has bells on.

That's adorable

That would look kind of cute in a Christmas type display. "All I want for Christmas is my two front actuators."

sounds like baseless speculation

It really is. Everyone else's Mobile HPG's were either C*/Blake or Clan. The FWL ships with them were Blakist made and the rare Capellan ships with them were captured Blakist supplies.

NAIS were ahead of all the other states due to their black box research and even then they only had a half completed Class C core for teaching purposes. On a campus that became a crater like a year later.

I like how brent basically admitted he has no vision and hes Randalls butt budy

If the Suns' whole schtick wasn't "Oh, you're good at something? We're, like, totally two times better!" with a special aptitude for tech and FTL comms already, sure.

I think they had all the knowledge required to build a HPG at the time. They just didn't use it, because what's the point? They'd have had to man their own HPG network because ComStar would shut theirs down leaving them effectively blind and deaf, and even if they established their own network nobody else would talk to them.

Not him but the very fact they don't build a single new core in the DA says a lot about what they can't do. Somebody who could crank out even ten new stations in strategic locations would be raping their neighbors after the Blackout.

Even C*-built cores crapped out in the Blackout. The Suns may have tried, but they'd fail too. And mobile HPGs are even harder.

Utter bollocks.

Tell us more about your fanfic.

C* was building new ones though. What was fucking them was even the new ones were blowing up with a single exception. They kept thinking it was some kind of sabotage or virus right up until the Mars test in 3141.

And that's ComStar with a track record of 1000+ working cores before Clarion Call hit. The Suns with maybe one or two prototypes? I'd wager they'd bench the project after a fail in favor of building more Black Boxes and military hardware.

That's Comstar that had forgotten stuff in the complete brain drain following the schism and the Jihad. There was exactly one hyperspace college left in the whole sphere, and they knew less than the capacitor worshiping acolytes in 3025.

And all the Fedsuns hyperspace experts got blown to smithereens in 3068 along with their black box production.

Even the Dracs in their DA campaigns were gimping along with 3039 relic boxes and nothing new.

So I'll be streaming a couple of the requests here, feel free to jump in.

picarto.tv/dedstreams

I think someone requested this in the last thread?

Nice grasshoper bruh.

anything besides a mech worth using in Megamek or is everything just a punching bag for mechs?

Unit types are a game of rock, paper scissors. Depends entirely on what the enemy is bringing to know how valuable they actually are.

Mechs are the ultimate durable generalist. That's why they're favored so heavily in campaigns. They can always do something somewhere.
Tanks trade durability for more guns and cheapness.
Infantry are even more guns and less mobility, also hard to exterminate without infantry killing weapons.
Aerospace are tons of guns and max mobility plus durability IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE. But they lose the durability when they have to come play near the ground.

So say some asshole brings nothing but gausswall mechs. Well, if you brought generalist mechs, you're fucked. If you brought infantry field guns or artillery, he's fucked.
Say you're fighting underwater, everybody is breach checking like it's going out of style but the guy who brought LRT frogmen and Neptunes is laughing all the way to the bank.
Say you're fighting on a moon. The Aerospace backup is now suddenly extra scary and the mech boys are praying nothing plinks their cockpit

Thank you so much! That's a good BT Pedro Pascal too!

I think i'm gonna try a meme run using only tanks and lots of artillery, sorta like the Soviet Union.

*outmaneuvers you with air mobile forces*

>Forward Firepower Intensifies

*uses special forces to neutralize your AAA assets from the rear*

Heh, nothing personnell.... Drac

That ain't no Scorpion!

It's a pretty nice Grasshopper though. Real nice.

How many female players of BT do we have here?

>female players of BT

She was a female BattleTech player, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

Not that it matters but I am. My ex got me into it and I've kept on it off and on for the last few years.

My girlfriends always at least played grogtech with me. Used to even have couples team nights sometimes with a buddy of mine and his wife. But I guess that comes with dating nerds. Most girls like fantasy. A good chunk like scifi too. Not too many steps from that into tabletop.

Holy hell, a Shiny Ponyta.

There are probably more trap/gays players than girls user. I dunno why big robots stomping unto each others isn't more popular with girls. Normally the few I know started to please they boy friends, and if the relationship ended, the interest normally waned.

>My Swayback 4P gets pretty badly mauled in last fight
>need to get some new MLs for it
>go to purchase them
>"This part is not available to your unit"

Okay, I can get not being able to buy SL or post invasion era equipment but fucking medium lasers? Don't those have an availability rating of B or something?

>more trap/gays
Almost all of them furries.

???

Anyone have a rough idea what the Wolf touman looked like on the eve of the Refusal War?

10-13 galaxies? Any idea on clusters?

>???

A shiny ponyta would be a rare, horse-like Pokemon - not unlike a unicorn (see , Cyril).

Just flip through Falcon and Wolf. It's got everything.

What dump are you in? I used to have to truck in even LRM reloads two or three jumps away in the Near Periphery.

>Double prices because Periphery prices
>Extra 500 cbills per ton per jump cargo transport fee

And they wonder why everyone turns into pirates out there.

This is also a /v/ joke because some autist had, I think, three game boys and were playing Pokemon on them simultaneously to try to get a shiny Ponyta. After a massively long time, he got one and filmed it and put it on you tube.

Ronel, about 4 jumps from Outreach or Terra.

It lists the entire touman?

When? Because it was an important world in the DA and got trashed pretty good.

>AAA assets are actually cardboard cutouts covered in A and B Pods, with 50 tons of MG ammo stashed around

Something Something Keikaku...

3060s, just after the civil war

Pretty fucked if you can't get ML's in the 3060's just one jump from Galatea.

And I still have 4 months on my contract. This is gonna be less than ideal.

I think you might have Restrict parts by mission selected in in campaign options, it's under Against the Bot tab. That would cause the problem you are having.

I'm a bit sad the second star league failed tbqh.

Me too, it was a good idea. Like the republic of the sphere. Both badly executed too.

>I dunno why big robots stomping unto each others isn't more popular with girls.

It's not popular in the west and really niche groups kind of have a tendency to be more skewed towards males.
Heck, there were always at least some women to sing along with the rest of /m/.

It's got nothing to do with giant robots. Gundam is a prime example of a franchise where the women form an equal if not greater group of the audience. It's why you always have bishies as MCs and never any girls.

>The very first fans of the original Gundam were young women. Definitely not the PlaModel enthusiasts. With both Gundam and Raideen, of the first fans to be active, 90% were girls. Among a gathering of 1000 fans, about 100 were boys. Around when the first cour ended, young women began to gather to the after recording studio. It took until much later for male fans make an uproar, around the time series got canceled. I thought: You’re late to the party!
~Tomino

I wish mekhq was at least a bit more autonomous. Its annoying having to manually set stuff like victory conditions or time limit or having to manually repair each individual piece of a mech instead of just giving general orders on what to repair or not.

>favorite faction is Clan Wolf
>everyone hates them and proclaims them to be Sues
>even though they haven't won anything on their own in decades and have repeatedly been punching bags for their neighbors
>didn't even with their trial during the Great Refusal

It's like everyone is still insanely butthurt about the Wolves doing so well during the invasion compared to other clans.

Anybody have a good Orion refit for 3043 Lyrans? I’ve got 3.1 M C-bills and 10 weeks to my next contract. I want to keep the LRM-15 despite the expense. I’m thinking pull the SRM for a SL + heatsink in both sides, but I’m interested in what /btg/‘s “purple birds” have to say about the ON1-K.

>It's like everyone is still insanely butthurt about the Wolves doing so well during the invasion compared to other clans.

Everyone's still butthurt about the Suns doing well when their last major victory that really was the 4th Succession War. If they're going to hold on to that grudge, you'd better believe that they're going to be holding on to grudges that are much younger.

>Lyran Orion
Y'know, I could see a PPC swap for the AC. A decent amount of their in-house variants already do that (Banshee 3S, Thunderbolt 5SS, Zeus 6T).
The other option is to go full-bore AC/20 on the thing.

If you're playing with the 3039 retcons, 3043 Lyrans have access to DHS. Install 10 of those with great haste.

If you're looking at purely IntroTech, one of the easier ones that I've found works well is pic related. Basically, pull 1 ton of LRM-15 ammo, the SRM-4 and ammo, and add 2 MLs and 2 SHS. The plan is walk forward, firing the LRM every turn, and adding in the AC/10 once it gets into range. At close range you should be basically out of LRM ammo, so fire the MLs and the AC/10, dropping 1 gun every so often to even out your heat. Simple and reasonably effective, though not terrible creative.

Biggest problem I've found is that you'll often REALLY want JJs, and that you lose Infernos for the SRM.

>>even though they haven't won anything on their own in decades and have repeatedly been punching bags for their neighbors

Bud, their Dark Age rape train started in 2004. Refusal War was 1993. They've been on the good end of the stick for longer than the bad.

No intro sets now, should be a release next year. You don't need to buy the models to play btw. Download the total warfare or whatever the new rulebook is.

Playing megamek is basically the game with dice and bookkeeping automated.

did somebody say jungle boogie?

youtube.com/watch?v=JQLF37csfhI

1993-2004: 11 years
2004-2017: 13 years
>They've been on the good end of the stick for longer than the bad.
What did he mean by this?

>Forgetting 1989-1993

Not that 13 isn't larger than 11 but the gap is bigger.

Not sure what either of you mean. Wolves only had it good until 1993. Refusal War fucked things up, Dark Age made it worse.

Should be 1989-1993 as good times, and 93-04 as bad, 04-17 as rape.

>Dark Age made it worse.

Dark Age is Wolf Sheng. Their army is still shit like every other DA army except the Caps but they've been doing nothing but winning all day long.