/nwg/ - Naval Wargames General

Almost a dreadnought edition

Talk about botes, bote based wargaming and RPGs, and maybe even a certain bote based vidya that tickles our autism in just the right way.

Games, Ospreys and References (Courtesy of /hwg/)
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming

Models and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/LcD16k7s

Rule the Waves
mega.nz/#!EccBTJIY!MqKZWSQqNv68hwOxBguat1gcC_i28O5hrJWxA-vXCtI

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Falkland_Islands
combinedfleet.com/okun_biz.htm
mediafire.com/file/0g5dmpl776cmufd/Fighting Ships (Usborne).pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12479/battlegame-book-5-fighting-ships
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Were battlecruisers a sound concept?

Maybe if nobody built battleships or they were kept away from them.

When used for their intended purpose, they did well:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Falkland_Islands
When not...

>When used for their intended purpose: bullying poor, defenseless Armored Cruisers, all alone among enemies, that just wanted to come back home to Kaiser.
RIP Scharnhorst, Gneisenau & Blucher - we hardly knew ye - cut down in the prime of their lives.

Do teaboos seriously think RN BBs were superior?

Not superior. Just better than everyone else's.

>not superior
>better than everyone

I think he's implying they all sucked, but the British ones sucked the least.

Indeed this.

>posting objective untruths

Whats with battleship autism?

RN Teaboos don't want to accept that the day of the BB (and therefore their whole obsolete navy) is over.

It must be particularly depressing given the current condition of the RN. Kek.

everybody loves big ships with big guns

Small boats with big guns > big boats with big guns desu senpai.

i like all boats with all sized guns

The only thing Brits overrate more than their ships is Bismarck.

Having the boat that your media spent last 20 years hyping as the mightiest in the world sunk in matter of minutes by an enemy vessel tends to cause such silliness.

I remember reading a book as a child which hyped up the Bismarck as some super weapon that would allow Germany to win WW2 if it wasn't stopped by the terribly outmatched Royal Navy its plucky band of Swordfish

I wonder sometimes how these people get published

The fun thing about Bismarck is that it was built such that it was basically impenetrable through the side armor belt...but the cost for this design was that the armor belt was so low in the water that hits ABOVE it could effortlessly punch right through and cause catastrophic flooding.

After Trafalgar, the Royal Navy maintained its position as the top force not through skill or quality of ships, but rather through sheer numerical/tonnage advantage (And naturally fell off their spot once their industry and economy could no longer sustain it). Am I right in deducing that from what I've read regarding naval history and shipbuilding?

Kinda fucked up if you have to hype a rebuilt BC as the mightiest thing afloat. I know she wound up with better protection than Repulse and Reknown, but still.

The idea that penetrations this far above the waterline could cause catastrophic flooding is rather peculiar. if you have water entering through holes this far up into your ship, cahcnes are taht you have some other problems.

Bismarck had tons of questionable, bad and outright idiotic design decisions, but flooding from penetrations above the main belt was not something that could result from them.

Not quite.

Well into the 1870, the RN was THE naval force, even though naval technology was changing at a rapid pace.
Britain had the shipbuilding industry and shipyards toback up their fleet, and to react to any of the new developments with newly built ships that included all the latest technologies.

But through the 1880 and 90s, France, Germany, the US and Russia industrialized to a degree that their combined fleet building capacity simply outstripped that of Britain.
This put quite a lot of pressure on the British, because their idea of maintaining the Two Power standard, even though France quite helpfully shot itself in the foot with their jeune école.

Then along comes the Dreadnought Revolution and Fisher's battlecrusier, and al the ships built over the previus decade are suddenly obsolete.
Ironically this is what ended the RN's total dominance by essentially resetting everyone's ship count to zero, allowing the 'new' navies to start on an almost equal footing with the RN.
Britain still outbuilt everyone, and it is quite funny to see claims how the HSF might 'rival' the RN while the RN was building more ships in noticably shorter time then the Germans ever could.

But the RN had lost all hopes of maintaining their Two Power standard.

Meh, probably tl;dr. Anyway, enjoy,

>The idea that penetrations this far above the waterline could cause catastrophic flooding is rather peculiar. if you have water entering through holes this far up into your ship, cahcnes are taht you have some other problems.

The Atlantic is a fairly rough ocean at the best of times and the belt is really quite low. Read Nathan Okun's articles on the subject, it explains the matter in exhaustive detail.

Link pls?

>combinedfleet.com/okun_biz.htm

What else did they have? Renowns, Revenges, and QEs were older and smaller, Nelrods wouldn't be completed until '27, carriers were still considered something of a joke, and even the most retarded inbred peon would had figured out that they're being fed bullshit if the media tried to claim old 13.5-incher boats as the mightiest ships in the world.

Isn't Jonathan Parshall working on a new book currently?

>combinedfleet.com/okun_biz.htm
>Due to the main armored deck's low position in the ship, extensive flooding of the ship above the sloped/flat armored deck is likely if the side armor is holed, which COULD cause serious stability problems and which reduced PROTECTED reserve bouyancy by one complete deck
Those may be relevant points, but I maintain my position that Bismarck's design had lots of far more critical weaknesses.

>Those may be relevant points, but I maintain my position that Bismarck's design had lots of far more critical weaknesses.

Oh, certainly. I just consider this one one of the more amusing quirks of its design.

Fair enough, but why continue to hype it so badly after the Nelrods were out? Why not spread that adoration out a bit so that if the unthinkable does happen, it's not such a blow to morale?

It's like the British don't get that if they pretend a ship is unsinkable, it's going to in the most awful way imaginable.

It was their go-to ship for cruises around the wrold and other such representative functions, mostly because it had the range and it burnt less fuel than the other choices (Nelson or Rodney)

>tfw winning the Russo-Japanese War of 1906 as the Russians
>tfw living under a treaty that disallows ships bigger than 12k tons or with guns >8" in diameter

Rule the Waves is awesome. Can't wait to build real dreadnoughts in 1910 or so when the treaty expires

why would you do that?
put guns on an oil tanker?

>not understanding the importance of defending your nation's oil supplies

>'''''''defending'''''''
Last time I checked, America's oil defense is a lot like Germany defending lebensraum in the ukraine and along the Volga.

Yes, and?

Any amount of the world's oil supply belonging to a country other than the United States is a grievous crime that must be rectified post haste.

>nuclear carriers
>need oil

To fuel their air wing? Yeah.

>air wing
if it flies it dies when?

>fuel their air wing
If you need oil for that, you are doing it wrong.

This just makes me want scramjet rounds for a ships cannon again. I've thought before that railguns would be a great way of launching one. Didn't they experiment with some for the Iowas, or was that a fever dream I had?

It's probbly not worth it compared to something like a GPS guided sabot round for a railgun.

The biggest problem is atmospheric heating/drag right after launch, before the round gets into thinner air.

Seems like a terrifying thing to have a damn mooring mast and tremendous sail attached to it if the wind really picked up.

How much lighter/less top-heavy would the Atlantas have been if the forward and aft three-turret sets were replaced with rotary 5-inch cannons? The mass freed up by reducing the number of turrets should be enough for a heavily armored autoloader, and the lowered manpower requirement could mean .2/3-man cabins instead of berthing areas...

Why don't the South Dakotas get much love? They're amazing designs given treaty considerations, and could match any battleship built including ones that flagrantly went outside that (cough bismarck cough).

SoDaks really do deserve more love.

No one likes fatties.

Did the Texas survive the hurricane?
>Hope some of the relief funds go to getting the work it desperately needs done.

Well, if the wind picks up you just let the airship float away, I guess.

Totally off topic here, but that thing is a super villain's wet dream.

>super villain

While designed for kids, this book contains four naval wargames that are still really fun for adults

mediafire.com/file/0g5dmpl776cmufd/Fighting Ships (Usborne).pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12479/battlegame-book-5-fighting-ships

fuck submarines

fuck you

France pls
pls

[muffled hon hon hon in the distance]

Been wondering the same, user. Would be a shame to lose her after all this time.

Welp, I'm pretty sure Shokaku is done for.
>Gets hit by a 1000lb bomb which starts a fire and causes the evacuation of her air wings during the initial battle
>Gets hit by a working Mk14 torpedo first thing the next morning
>Then this happens
When the second wave arrived, they only found Hagikaze.
And promptly nuked her with two 1000lbs

>"let's put the mainmast right into the smoke of the main funnel"
>- No one ever, except the RN Admiralty ca. 1909

Whats a good single player game like War in the Pacific? Is Pacific Storm any good?

Turning a fire control platform into a smokehouse isn't a flaw but a feature.

Yeah, uh...if it's occluded by smoke the enemy won't be able to aim at it! YESSSSS!

>Day 53: the crew has still not yet realized I am a submarine

I've been reading into ships from the interwar/WW2 period, and most of what I've come across about IJN is fairly negative in terms of their ship designs. To counter-balance that, what were some of their strong points or things they did well?

Good submarines (mostly rendered ineffective thanks to their horrible submarine doctrine), most of their cruiser and destroyer designs packed more fire power per ton than their allied counterparts (usually at the price of being top heavy, being less habitable than US&UK vessels, and having rather meh armor), Shoukaku and Zuikaku were among the better carriers in the world when they're completed,