CR

What does fa/tg/uy think of CR?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CCBfJBf-t2Y
geekandsundry.com/critical-role-one-shot-brought-to-you-by-pathfinder-and-syrinscape/
geekandsundry.com/deadlands-one-shot-with-members-of-critical-role/
geekandsundry.com/critical-role-one-shot-thursday-by-night/
geekandsundry.com/critical-role-extra-the-return-of-liam/
geekandsundry.com/critical-role-extra-liams-quest/
geekandsundry.com/critical-role-liams-quest-full-circle/
youtu.be/LHita2t54xY?t=4h3m52s
youtube.com/watch?v=c9lC5_qjkFE
geekandsundry.com/behind-the-streams-of-dds-stream-of-annihilation/
reddit.com/r/criticalrole/wiki/hub/specials
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I feel bad for the bald guy but I can't remember why, maybe because I imagined a huge drama for him and one of the girls, who seemed like his wife being sick of him in a couple of videos.
It's a good group to watch, the DM really puts effort in it.

It's the most cringy shit I've laid my eyes on for a long time. How anyone actually enjoys this is beyond me. Do you have zero standards? Do you have no sense of shame?

Drop the hyperbole. Most groups don't put in even half the effort in roleplaying their characters as these guys do. They lay it on thick sometimes, some of them especially egregiously, and their understanding of the rules is poor considering they've been playing for years, but the roleplaying meat - how the DM fleshes out the world and plays dialogue, how he involves each PC with his/her backstory, how the PCs interact with each other - is among the best I've seen.
There's definitely something to learn from them, even if they make many mistakes and are annoying sometimes.

AI > CR

Hoo boy, this is a tough one. They're both so bad in different ways.

AI = Way too overly timid players gingerly tiptoeing along a railroad -- not because the railroad is all that exists, but because they have no fucking balls to do anything meaningful without a direct prompt

CR = Way too overly dramatic players being decently strung along, haven't watched enough to know how much agency they have

Completely different kind of game. They joke around a lot and have contagious fun, but some of the characters are really... bland. They have little personality once you strip away the silly jokes.

NO. It is WAY too much enthusiasm, bordering on LARP-levels (which is maximum cringe). This would not TOO bad (in and of itself), we are on Veeky Forums after all, if they did not exude an air of thinking they are cool at the same time. It is just utter cringe.

Seems okay but I don't have time for this shit

I think we hate it because normies like it.
Personally I think it's okay. Mercer's much better than any DM I've ever had but his players kinda suck at actually playing the game. Like half of them are great RPers but the other half are just good actors that aren't good at making interesting characters. Their faults led me to lose interest but it's not a bad show.
Tiberius was the best until Orion went full autist

I honestly only like orion now as far as the show went.. ( I know right? ) outside of the show I loved the voice work laura and her husband have done like full metal alchemist etc. Hate marisha and wish she would die. Used to like percy but no longer, matt does ok with what he has to work with but seems like a cuck. sam, well.. he's same.

Ash isn't on it enough to matter.

Tried watching it a few times, I just can't get into it and I can't put my finger on why.

That being said, I think it might just be one of those things I enjoy playing, but I don't enjoy watching.

Not as cringe inducing as Titansgrave. I also don't care if it "ruins a generation of roleplayers" since 3e has already done that.

Somehow even worse than The Big Bang Theory.

I don't think of critical role

they're good at acting because they're all actors. everything else is mediocre to shit. Im sorry your group and DM is so poor, I hope they get better with time, or you find new people to play with.

I like them but I don't play so maybe them being more of entertainment for a stream instead of properly playing has something to do with it.
A bit cringy but good fun overall.

I saw the thumbnail and thought this was Babylon 5 thread. I am now disappointed.

I like Critical Role, but I think Sam and Travis were more or less held back by the stupid ideas of the rest of the party in the last campaign. Hopefully in the next one, they'll play characters with far more active roles in the decision making of the party. Laura and Taelsin are fine as far as players go, but Laura typically runs the risk of acting without thinking or considering the repercussions.

Liam lays it on a little thick sometimes with his roleplaying, but makes up for it with really genuine moments. I nearly teared up near the end, when him and Sam were just looking at each other forlornly. Marisha, without a doubt, is irredeemable.

Bretty good.

They drag out some of the dramatic moments, and sometimes stumble trying to ham it up dramatically since they're improvising everything, but thats to be expected.

Overall its a very fun show. Whenever I watch it I get annoyed my DnD group cant meet up too often.

100% accurate

Travis > Sam > Laura = Liam = Taliesin >> Marisha

Haven't really watched much of it, but from what I've seen the DM is good and the players are mostly cool people. The big dude is the best, despite playing precisely the kind of limiting character you'd expect from your first glance at him.

If you enjoy watching these kinds of things that's your jam. Not really my place to criticize, it's no worse than watching anything else that broadcasts on TV or the internet. I assume the hate it and its fans get it mostly just from sekret klub faggots that feel like Veeky Forums and traditional gaming in general is their safespace, as though they're somehow better than the average casual.

It's just a game of D&D that you can watch. There's nothing amazing about it but there's nothing awful about it. It's fine.

I find the very concept depressing as all hell.
The thing about about table top is that it's like looking at a shitty show, but it's your collective shit in the making, that's part what is making it fun. Turning it into a purely passive experience? Makes no sense to me.
That's a negation of the very activity.

I mean, to each their own. But yeah, depressing from where I stand.
The spectator generation. Kids that, instead of playing with the toys they've just been offered, will look at videos of other kids playing with them.
People that will look at others play games instead of playing themselves.

This isn't really a generational thing. There have always been people more interested in - to take your games example - the plot and characters over the gameplay and mechanics. In the past these people just watched movies and read books, but as the stigma associated with things like computer and tabletop gaming alleviated, they've become involved in these things too.

Of course, many people actually move to playing these games, but many just don't have an interest in doing that.

I think a lot of it actually is a case of people being put off by the fans of the show. This is how fandoms operate these days. A lot of people standing on the sidelines, who've seen it and it's, you know, fine; a lot of people who haven't stepped their toe in yet, but they see the third group, frothing lunatics who insist that it's the best thing in the world.

Matt Mercer isn't the best GM in the world. He's not an incredible GM. He's essentially hot James D'Amato, live on camera. Just good at improv and good at comedy. Which is also true of most of the rest of the crew.

As far as telling a compelling story? He's not awful, but he's not amazing.

As far as representing D&D as a game? He's not awful, but he's not amazing.

As far as presenting good combats? He's not awful, but he's not amazing.

But don't tell that to CR fans.

I get more out of the Adventure Zone. The episodes are shorter, so I don't need a day off to watch a full episode.

Three rednecks playing D&D is infinitely more entertaining, what can I say?

Shit

Semi-passive players have definitely always been a thing.

I do think there's something of a generational thing just by virtue of the available tools. People my generation just couldn't at the frop of a hat research and look at the video of any activity instead of indulging in it.
That's not saying there's wrong with the new generation. The fact that I find it depressing is on me. Growing old and seeing gaming expand, I was hoping for a generation of more proactive people. Instead the hobbies got in proportion more passive, seems to me.

Travis is wasted on it.

Guy is a perfect Barbarian and everyone else tries to be a special snowflake.

Since the campaign is over, they'll each have their shot at redemption as players. Maybe they just locked themselves into bad roles with the character concepts they made as beginners (especially Keyleth, who never grew as a character). And Travis will get a chance to shine as a PC that won't necessarily limit his own abilities.

I think there's also an element of time and complexity.

The modern world is complex and time consuming. Everyone has so much to do and so much to know now. Even if you're wealthy enough to live a life of leisure, just existing as an adult requires a ton of skills and knowledges that we consider basic, and a considerable amount of upkeep work (which can be passed on to others, but this isn't always a wise decision).

There's also more activities available. There is so much shit I'm doing right now and so much more shit I want to do. I work, obviously, which takes up a fair amount of time - and then beyond that there's an increasingly vast selection of media available to me at all times. I have tabletop games to be playing, TTRPG campaigns to run, all manner of TV shoes to watch, movies to see, vidya to play, and I still want to make time to just meet up with friends for a drink and meal occasionally. And then I've got the gym, and rock climbing, and fencing. And what if I was married, or had kids? Even more shit to squeeze my overabundance of media temptations between.

It's no wonder that many people just merge certain interests and choose to enjoy them in less time-consuming ways.

Travis as a Barbarian was perfect though, the guy does "Slightly cunning meathead" to a tee.

The Issue was Mercer is a cuck and promotes Spellcaster snowflake scenarios.

Travis is also too nice a guy to just break some heads.

I will add to this - I'd be more interested in watching them play something like Werewolf: The Forsaken. It seems to play to their greater interest in narrative over mechanics and I feel like the big guy could Storm Lord it up and be absolutely in his element, which would make the sessions more fun to watch.

>actors acting well is cringe
are you 15? do you not watch movies?

He's probably so used to wooden roleplaying that character immersion looks like a strange concept to him. Basically, "[my character] asks him where the city is", rather than playing out the dialogue.

I don't kn ow how much I subscribe to this theory.
If only because children do it. I think it's more an overgrowth of the replication side of the learning process.

I'm with this user. I have a 50+ hour a week office job, participate in a dnd game every other week, DM one off campaigns (for example a spooky space adventure for halloween), go to the gym 5-6 days a week, try to draw and paint at least 3 times a week, cook 6-7 nights a week, watch college football, and try to just enjoy social outings with my friends or GF. Often times ill put on a podcast or show while I doing 3 other things. We are an ADD multitasking generation, not necessarily a passive one.

Who?

Is there any sort of condensed version of this that doesn't make me listen to 115x5 hours of unedited shit? I might enjoy the show if I had hours of commute or downtime in my daily life, but even then I could listen to 100 audiobooks in the time it would take to watch this entire thing.

>Btw guys I'm cool and have a gf
Normies, REEEE, autistic screeching etc.

There's dozens of outtakes and clips of memorable moments on YT, but they lose much of their appeal if you're not actually following the show.

Yeah, a member of my group insists on playing clips for us every couple of weeks that we can hardly follow.

Oh well, it sounds like the group is starting a new thing so i'll just try to catch that when it pops up

Fuck no I'm not cool. I'm a balding stressed out wreck, I just have a lot of hobbies.

>The virgin hair
>The Chad balding

Last week there's been a one-shot (a half of a two-shot, more precisely) of VtM. Different GM but still rather amusing

I accept this

Travis = Sam > Ashley > Laura = Taliesin > Liam > POWER GAP > Marisha

>But don't tell that to CR fans.
Matt Mercer himself told them that. If you watch CR, you'd know he cringes at that label and doesn't like it at all.

I hate that they don't know the rules. I hate the girl and her cringy shit with Disney memes and stupid shit.

An okay DM though.

Not one neckbeard amongst them.
They look like the faggy drama club kids got old and bloated.

They are memey fucks who give an idea of role-playing games to be jokey Reddit tier shit

If you watch pnp streams you should actually kill yourself

Friends love it, I couldn't give less of a shit.

Well four really, but it also helps that they're all huge goofballs.

>pushes feminist memes and left wing bullshit for 115 episodes
>All of them end up married anyway

Travis = Sam > Liam > Ashley (she's too quiet) > Taliesin (He tries so hard to be that guy) > Laura (UnBEARable) >>>> Marisha (Cheating cringey cancer that gets away with it because shes fucking the DM)

Seriously I can handle the cringe and the shit left wing memes but when matt just blatantly cheats because she's crying or whatever reason it annoys me.

Also Liam is underrated, he's a real trooper, and he's got some top quality banter

Same. Mercer's pretty solid (his acting more than his writing), but holy fuck is Marisha terrible.

Can't be bothered to learn her spells, learn her class features, or learn to shut up.
Also she cheats.

Dude got cancer and was hiv positive. Kinda went nuts because he lost control over his life and had a breakdown.

Cringey shit on par with most of /v/'s Let's Play bullshit.

Really wish we could stop having these perpetual threads here, where it’s the same OP every single time. It’s not even a matter of bringing eceleb cancer to Veeky Forums, it’s that people keep shilling for this one particular show.
>inb4 you can’t shill blah blah
Once they start merchandising, that argument goes out the window.

Youtube monetizes views. So yeah, they are shilling.

I think you're remarkably out of touch with what's popular on the "scene" right now if you think it's just one guy talking about this

D&D 5e's official online game master tools come with native twitch streaming integration for a reason, you know.

We all know that streamers and podcasters are popular with the D&D newbies, but that doesn't mean we have to LIKE it

Dubs of truth confirm

>people are getting paid for doing what they love
>Veeky Forums complains about it

This honestly comes off as pure jelly. I know for a fact most of you would stream games if you knew you could monetize it.

Don't like it. No problem with people who do.

I like crit role though, it just annoys me when marisha cheats. It cheapens the experience

I wouldn't love playing in a 8 person party. Sorry.

>Spellcaster snowflake scenarios

What do you mean?

I watched a good bit of their Shadow of War oneshot. Darin De Paul is too good for everyone but Mercer, a bit sad he works too much for CR proper.

A lot of his puzzles and puzzle monsters require casting spells

Its good entertainment as a podcast to listen to on a 2 hour commute. Sometimes the RP can be a bit heavy, but as a show, I enjoy it. Playing in the same way they do might not be quite as enjoyable but for people who can handle listening to a RPG podcast, I find it very good at what is for.

>And what if I was married, or had kids?
Don't. One guy in my group did and he's a total cuck. I barely ever hang out with him now, and run roll20 campaign for him when i have time (which is rare). I remember sitting on his couch while he played critical roll and some dumb ass roosterteeth videos. Critical roll looked so stupid. They all yelled over each other and laughed creating that awful metallic mic overload sound that makes me cringe. Couldn't even tell what was going on, hated the entire thing. My friend was changing his sons diaper at the time. There were Cheerios on the floor. I left as soon as I could.

>Sometimes the RP can be a bit heavy
What do you mean by this? I haven't seen a lot of CR but I feel like combat is the low point of most of these shows. It's just a period of mostly dead air with an occasional tense moment if the combat lasts long enough. I could be misunderstanding what you mean though.

>Marisha cheats
Not nearly as bad as Laura. How many fights does she spend whispering plans to people when Mercer isn't looking. Just look at the Kevdak fight

How is whispering plans cheating?

There's a timescale for actions. You can't whisper if it's not your turn.
That being said is overreacting. Marisha constantly tries to cheat the hard mechanics of the game, which is worse than just light metagaming which to be fair, everyone is doing anyway.

Node's youtube D&D sessions are better and can sometimes be hilarious.

It's whatever. I watch it cause I I have nothing better to do on a Thursday night.

>I don't really mind any of the players (Marisha can be annoying since she forgets her spells, and Taleisin because his turns last like 20minutes) but they all have their strengths/weaknesses.

>Story was pretty good, The beginning of the Chroma Conclave arc was genuinely shocking (In terms of not expecting that), but that was probably the peak of the story. Some people bitch about how left-leaning things are (Like how there are so many gay/trans/bi characters), but I honestly never even noticed till I really sat and thought about it. Other than Tarry(Just cause of the story arc) their sexuality was nothing more than a trait IMO.

>Matt seems like a great dude. He puts so much work into the game, and outside he just comes off as a good guy. Watching shit like this youtube.com/watch?v=CCBfJBf-t2Y where he is so open about himself makes him seem like a genuinely good person.

Pretty interested in what the new campaign will bring. So far we know Laura is going to be a caster, Travis is apparently considering Cleric/Paladin, Marisha will probably be Monk, and Taleisin may be an artificer.

I'm super curious to see how their characters come out and if it makes them better players. From what I have heard for the homegame only Laura/Liam actually put significant effort into their backstory as it was supposed to be a one night game. Hopefully Marisha gets to play a character she can handle better (She seems fine at combat, but when presented with the choice of support/damage/utility at the same time she flounders), with a backstory that is more compatible with her personality (She admitted in those D&Dnext videos she wouldn't like Keyleth much IRL)

I think it's irritating that we get this fucking thread once a day.

Same, I am usually the guy who makes episode threads (and thats it), so now I either have to use this or risk getting shitposted into oblivion.

It sure is tough to hide one thread a day isn't it!

I find the D&D settings actively bore me probably because I spend too much time here so I can't watch those.
Are there any good short campaigns that they do in other settings?
Non-D20 preferred, because even without the settings, the bonus and malus crunching is boring.

Silly. Not to be taken seriously

Even Harmon Quest is far better. Period.

You actually think that is passible acting? Top fucking lol. Your opinion is LAUGHABLY bad and incorrect. Widen your horizons little sheep

It's better than the Fapbait/ERP shit threads.

ITT people who claim to like RPGs but get unreasonably embarrassed by people actually role playing

You are cool because you don't think you're cool-- while seeming like a pretty based and even headed user. 10/10 would chill.

This.

>[Tipping intensifies]

>Uses "lol" instead of "kek"
>Makes redundant statements like "your opinion is bad and incorrect"
>Calls people "little sheep"

Ashley Johnson always looks like she has the most miserable time and wants to go home.

Clearly you don't understand the concept of metagaming or why it makes you a fucking garbage pnp player

Doesn't make me any less correct, silly simian

I don't watch this show.

How did I do?

The only non D20 I can think of is V:tM and Deadlands. Here is a sampling of some of the better ones

>Pathfinder:
geekandsundry.com/critical-role-one-shot-brought-to-you-by-pathfinder-and-syrinscape/

>Deadlands:
geekandsundry.com/deadlands-one-shot-with-members-of-critical-role/

>Vampires; The Masquerade Part 1:
geekandsundry.com/critical-role-one-shot-thursday-by-night/

>Vampires; The Masquerade Part 2:
Tonight at 7PM PST

>Inside Taldorei:
geekandsundry.com/critical-role-extra-the-return-of-liam/

>Liam Is a Fucking Weirdo
geekandsundry.com/critical-role-extra-liams-quest/
geekandsundry.com/critical-role-liams-quest-full-circle/ (youtu.be/LHita2t54xY?t=4h3m52s is pure voice actor kino)

>Shadow of War:
youtube.com/watch?v=c9lC5_qjkFE

>Tomb of Annhilation:
geekandsundry.com/behind-the-streams-of-dds-stream-of-annihilation/

>The rest:
reddit.com/r/criticalrole/wiki/hub/specials

>tfw you're "sex

Half correct with drinks alone (He has a family but is always depressing)

Ironically guy in the middle is on his honeymoon with the chick on the left

Did you know that Paint's text function has different word-wrap before and after you get out of the text editing box?

i enjoyed the paranoia session they had on tabletop but D&D is a turn-off for me.

>finally found a chick who always wants anal, decided it's time to settle down
Close enough.