Give me one good reason your setting doesn't have Satyrs

Go on, do it. They can fill any niche Orcs and Elves do and do it better.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satyress
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm not a woman fantasizing about goat cock

I'm not a man fantasizing about goat cock.

Because it has fauns instead.

Because fey morality and aspirations are highly incompatible with that of mortals

I'm not a girl

Not yet a woman

Fair enough, but they're still better murder-rapists than Orcs by a long shot.

Good reason.

And? Divine morality and aspirations are incompatible with that of mortals, but I'm sure your setting has deities.

I work them in as fey creatures, and the fey are far isolated from the rest of the people.

Because my setting has no non-human sapient humanoids. That is to say, it's not a setting where humans are the only sapient life, but all the other sapient species look very different from humans. So "human, but with goat legs and horns" is something that you'd only get from weird magical experimentation, and wouldn't appear in large enough numbers to have a stable breeding population and become their own species.

Because I don't give a shit about satyrs.

Because I don't like them

Because I raise goats on my farm and I don't need these shit heads in my escapism

Already has Goatmen.
Adding half a human gains nothing.

no they can't

>do it better
but they dont, theyre sub par at those things

the only role they can fit with any level of competence is of wild hedonists, but even then theyre mostly one note and boring

I am not a degenerate furry!

Because if my PCs want to play a horned being with goat legs and a tail, I let them play a tiefling.

Stayr's probably do exist in some kind of fucked up bachanalia on the plane of existence far to the east.

For me they need to be distinct from beastmen, and minotaurs and goatmen are corrupted "civilized" animals by the power of Baphomet, usually through some profane ritual by his cultists who are implied to fuck animals, because they're creepy fucking cultists.

It does though.
One of my friends made a fey character in pathfinder and so we brought leylines into the story. As a result I had leylines getting corrupted as one of the adventures. The characters went to a leyline intersection in a cave where a rare ritual could be performed to retrain/rebuild a character, found black veins of energy everywhere as corruption slowly, a millimeter per hour, and its way up the leyline. The cave had been once occupied by satyrs (people who played a lot of 3.5 might know where I got the inspiration). Now they were either dead, trapped horribly in webs of negative energy, or turned to zombies. Made a satyrs zombie and filled a room with about 20 for a fun back and slash encounter (they were like 40 or 50 hit points each so there was a lot of that to go through). They cast create pit to trap some but also trapped themselves in the stairwell so they had to retreat and cast it again. Not sure why they didn't just go toe to toe with them so they could actually deal damage, instead of wasting spell slots. Also I wish pathfinder had good corruption rules, like San drain.

My audience can't appreciate Satyr

It's a sci-fi setting. And I believe warcraft already did the "space satyrs" thing.

t. degenerate furry

But mine does

I don't include mono-sex fetish races in my games.

>mono-sex

Because my setting doesn't have all kinds of shit like vampires, elfs, gremlins, and eskimos.

Dont know if they count as satyrs in my setting, I take a lot of hints from pre-saxon great Britain to do the fuckers, so I think they qualify more as goat-men

I actually can't give a reason in large part due to my setting having them as a main race.

Nice...

shes a faun you dork

They died to nyarlathotep when he killed every race besides humans because they where his favorite.

Goat legs are a poor choice for a humanoid build

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satyress

Fuck off back to that /k/ thread with that shit.

Holy shit I never thought of it that way. That's fucking brilliant

I've been using beastmen of one sort of another for a number of niches in society. The game is humans-only as player characters because it's kind of sword & sorcery, so orcs and elves don't really fit.. on the other hand, profane combinations of man and beast are perfect.

Because Satyr are nasty rapists and I'd rather have dwarfy, homemaking sheep/ram people.

that's ba'a'a'a'a'a'ahhd ass

Name 10 (ten) games you can play as satyr and similar races

I think it's a good idea, thematically.
For completely kosher reasons. :^)

Gurps
Risus
M&M 3e
HERO
BRP
Opend6
Fudge
Fate
Savage worlds
True20

Need I go on?

They have trouble climbing trees.

>better than Orcs at anything
>anything other than being a goat-legged faggot

Maybe if you're thinking of glorified shit-goblins like Tolkien Orcs.

They don't make sense evolutionarily. Why would a bipedal hominid evolve digitigrade legs with hooves as well as horns? What selection pressures would allow that?

I'm pretty sure Fey creatures don't give a shit about the theory of evolution.

'cuz the setting book doesn't mention them

> Satyrs, the incarnation of nature's savagery
> Orcs, musclebound retards/industrial fodder
> Satyrs > Orcs

> Give me one good reason your setting doesn't have Satyrs
It does, they are sneaky and lustful fae-blooded-
>They can fill any niche Orcs and Elves do and do it better.
how does it feel to be so WRONG

But theyre just humans with goat legs and horns, orcs are fuckin cool
Make them more like beastmen and were in business

My setting is a post-apocalyptic magitech with everyone living underground. I have industrious humans and ratfolk so far, fey races just don't fit into the overall aesthetic.
Although now that i think of it, maaaaaaybe they could work as a faction of mutated humans hating on technology and working against it so the apocalypse won't repeat.

Eat shit, goatfucker.

Satyrs:
>literally fucking goatpeople
>aka muslimwives
Notable Satyrs:
Mr. Tumnus
???
???
???

Orcs:
>planetary dominators
>ecosystem annihilators
>elf-puss lubricators
>humanity's terminators
Notable Orcs:
Too
Fucking
Many
Dude

Shit taste. Tolkien orcs are some of the best orcs, and it's more that he used the term orc and goblin interchangeably because there was no established schema separating them in fantasy, since that came after. Hell, they were the first representation of Orcs in fantasy, though inspiration came from various mythological and linguistic sources. Even if you prefer the beefcake noble savage warcraft orcs or the football hooligan orks of 40k, or jrpg/early dnd pig orks, you shouldn't hate Tolkien orcs because they made the "orc" category as we know it. It's an affront to all orcdom: they're fine as is in their story.

They formed a nation sized war machine that almost brought the world into darkness through sheer brutality of conquest. Do you dislike that a race whose name originates from old words referring to death, hell, demons and the like are depicted as evil and ugly? Is it that they're a race of mooks compared to the heroes, who represent the highest level of skill?

Also, why can't both nature and industry be savage at times? Why can't you have both Satyrs and Orcs to fuck shit up?

I've always wanted to play a satyr who imitates human hoplites like a child playing and doesn't understand what's wrong with killing in battle, kind of like the imitation fairies from the lost children arc of berserk. Bonus points if he develops an odd, almost violent relationship with a civilized girl he doesn't understand, that changes tone with the seasons and is foreshadowed in feverish dreams, only to have that love crumble with the dead leaves and make him understand sadness and grief for the first time, and have it drive him further towards his violent passions. It's just a good race to use as a mechanism for mixing violent tragedy and animal innocence.

>Tolkien orcs

I think you mean ANGRY MUD ELVES.

Tolkien orcs are notoriously weak and cowardly. Their most impressive deeds were done with a dark lord literally whipping them into shape. They are purposefully and by design kinda shit. That's what happens when your whole existence is perverted by some dickbag god.

How retarded are you.

You should write that story

My setting does have them, they're Welsh.

My setting has em.They're antagonistic creatures that spawned from the last wish of a dead god and spread through cultism and sacrificial rituals at first, and through open warfare and ethnic cleansing.

I just fold them into my NOTwhfb beastmen faction as the more intelligent class of beastmen, they're the ones who oversee most of the logistics, religion, tool building etc for a beastman horde/tribe and sometimes lead them into war with the human civilisations.

I was originally just going to have humans as a 'traditional' race in my setting but beastmen are too cool to pass up on.

Because I got some demons with this goat theme and it would be confusing to have other goat men.

I made them degenerate elves that joined a weird sex cult and ended up with a variant of therianthropy

My setting does. They are a single sex bunch of Drunkards and Rapists, throwing wild parties in the forests to draw in naive young men to impregnate them because they are an all female race. They take what they want from you, then leave you to possibly die after the party is over. Female children they birth are satrys, while male children are human, and they are abandoned on their fathers door step if the father still lives, otherwise abandoned in cities and towns. If a male child lives and is not raised well they will be more wild and reckless than their peers, with a distinct lack of empathy. If raised well in a household with loving parents, they can become great warriors or leaders with a deep appreciation of life.

Natural selection would not favor hoof-like feet. Human feet have much shorter and less prehensile toes than apes which makes them less useful in gripping and more useful in intensive running, but the toes are still needed for balance since we only have two legs. Humans with more hoof-like feet would have a harder time passing on their genes and that would get worse the closer they got to hooves. Try running around in shoes that have a big cube lift on them. There's no way for humans to evolve into Satyrs naturally.

Why could they not have a more developed sense of balance?

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satyress
>They were a late invention by poets and artists and are comparatively rare in classical art
literally masturbatory fan fiction

>Not replacing your orcs with maenads
Rampaging, flesh eating berzerker women who frequently crossbreed, leave changellings and who can pass amongst the humans right up until the moment they hear the sound of the pipes make the best orcs.
Doubly so because they're not Always Evil All The Time

>Too
>Fucking
>Many
>Dude
read: zero

This is unrepentingly my fetish.

Do female satyrs have dicks? Because there is no such thing as a female satyr.

And Dwarves are notoriously short and greedy, yet stout, hard working and hardy. Men weak of will and devoid of magic, but there is strength also in their valor. They are both cursed and gifted with death. Elves dangerously bursting with spirit and yet detached in longevity and resigned to fading. The line of kings that was lost was lost for foolishness and yet a king is one of the heroes, a captain who restores the honor lost. The orcs, cowardly, weak, violent and tribal as they are, are a force which threatens to end everything good by the might of their hatred, born of self loathing as it is. The witch king of Angmar who shattered Arnor is killed by a halfling and a woman. Hobbits, the smallest and unassuming race shape the fate of the world. Notice a pattern?

It's an allusion to Pan by Knut Hamsen. That last bit already is a story, though the protagonist is different from what I have in mind.

>Not making maenads the drow matriarchs, parasiting off dark elves to further their own race while actual drow slowly die out from their abusive masters' rule and their slow replacement of all reproductively capable drow women.

That sheepstack is cute as heck.

An individual orc is a bitter, deformed and weak thing. At least two of them regularly fall for every single man, elf or dwarf in many battles through middle earth's history. It's a struggle for the dark lords to keep their armies marching or from routing half the time. Often they will not even engage unless with clear and overwhelming advantage, which to their credit they are often good at achieving.

Orcs are a corruption of the "good" races, meant to represent what brutal rulership does to a people. They themselves are not fearsome, they are broken. The engine of war and destruction that their master fuels with orc blood and suffering is what is fearsome. As a narrative tool they are distinctly supposed to be pitiable things, unlike their misfortuned but valorous counterparts among men/dwarf/hobbits/etc. That quality has been taken from them, or at least suppressed. Depending on what origin you subscribe to, they may have never had it to begin with.

In that sense they are the best orcs, because they have a strong tie to the symbolism of the story. But as an objectively analyzed race, they are pretty bad at what they do when they are not being literally beaten into doing it.

>You will never return home from Guard duty to surprise your curvy, soft-wooled sheepfu with an exotic salt-lick you bought for her off of a rather confused Elven Rancher.
>She will never involuntarily bleat in happiness
>She will never grab you by your impressive ram horns and pull you into a deep kiss and reminding you just how much she loves you.

There's only humans and spiritual/divine/demonic beings.

Sounds pleasantly diablo-like.

They a minor demons that roam the forests and fuck with people.

Mine too, internet high five.

it's OK, I got the joke even if no one else did
fucking post-PS1 kiddies

mine sibling of afriq origin, i salute your writing and humbly ask for more

Gonna be honest, Satyrs skeeve me out.

>Give me one good reason your setting doesn't have Satyrs

There are.

Satyrs are a degenerative, all-male, species of Fey descendant from a certain group of Demons whom when finally crossing over to the physical realm and living there, experience it's stability, security, and peace; they ultimately decided to stay and speciated into what we know now as Satyrs.
Satyrs have goat legs, sharp-clawed bestial arms, and the great horns of goats, their fur comes in a wide variety of natural and unnatural fur colours that give away their Demonic heritage: black, white, red, teal, reddish pink, blue, and purple. Void of any gender split, half of Satyrs are vaguely androgynous or boyish and could be considered 'cute', while half are overtly masculine in appearance
Satyr society and culture is patriarchal by nature and misogynistic in practice: women simply do not have a natural place in their culture and are only brought in from an outside source to be raped for the sole purpose of reproduction- they are then either discarded, 'given back', or simply eaten. Males, even of other species, though are treated as equals and homosexuality is the norm in their primitive societies.
A Satyr community, village, or gathering is called a 'coven' and having no great skill or affinity for honest work; these covens often make a living hunting, gathering, raiding, thieving, or fishing: making excellent rangers, rogues, thieves, and hunters by proxy. Spiritually speaking, Satyrs prefer primitive magics and have some talent for druidism, shamanism, with some passing talent in summoning, they still hold ties to their demonic heritage, though, and their spiritual leaders are often warlocks or demonic clerics.

That's what I do with um'.