/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the Fifth Edition General.

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
How much does religion play role in your games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dGTgdE0MYpw
youtu.be/aG2Dc2bp4oU
youtu.be/dGTgdE0MYpw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tell me about your Warlock.

>How much does religion play role in your games?
My campaign doesn't have gods, just living CR20something champions of ideals.

NG undead guy who uses the power he got to help others.

That doesn't explain about why it takes so long to prepare spells and/or change them.

It takes 1 minute per level to prepare a spell, what are you talking about?

Drow servant of an ancient Beholder, offering her services to the adventurers who seek to quell the Demon Lords escaping into the underdark. Because obviously Bossholder wants to rule the underdark with as little demonic wasteland business as possible.

Let's say you are a mage, and you want to become a god.
You decide to make a trap for vecna, since he is god of knowledge he problably knows how become a god without going full evil necromancer.
How would you make it?

>My campaign doesn't have gods, just living CR20something champions of ideals.

I think there's a significant flaw in laying a trap for the god of secrets.

I wouldn't. Vecna is someone who fucked with Lady of Pain and got away with it. He's far, far beyond the power level of someone who just wants to become a god, and didn't even become one yet.
Instead, I planeshift to Faerun and follow the exact footsteps of Cyric.

what
why tough?
He's god of secrets not god of traps.

I didn't write it that way user. Take it up with my DM.

he's just clever, you just have to outsmart him.
It's easier if you are elf, since you have much more time to plan, just spend 200 years planning and go for it, you be at advantage since he doesnt know you plan to fuck him so he has no backups for when you fuck him.
Maybe even become a follower of vecna just to fuck him in the arse in the end.

Sorry, I assumed you would want to keep your plan to lure a deity into a trap on the down-low.

Doesn't vecna have some ability where he knows any secret that would affect more than 500 people?

I mean isn't that what a god in D&D is?

>implying a 22 INT max brainlet mode mortal could ever fuck with vecna

I'm retarded, can someone please translate the meaning of which OP's image is trying to convey?

>Faerunian deities
Bunch of pussies under Ao's thumb.

>Tne boss doesn't fight your party
>Instead, she and all her henchmen kneel and praise your unmatched power
>You're so much stronger than my current master, guys!
>You will beat him no problem, and I want to be on the winning side
>I beg you, spare me and let me serve you
>Here, here's a powerful magic ring as an act of a good will
I think my party will actually fall for it. They just won't resist the temptation of a succubus henchwoman.

Depends.

You know how people talk about Faerunian NPCs and how they're so stupidly OP and should solve everything for everyone forever?
Vecna is without exaggeration that powerful, except he's greyhawk/planescape, and as a result hasn't done anything since the 90s so no one remembers that except turbonerds.

>Ao
That little bitch got rekt by Pun-Pun.

you know that he once was mortal too right?

Keyword being "once". He didn't get where he is right now by being a bitch that some measly wizard can outsmart. He got there by being the most cunning and ruthless motherfucker in the multiverse.

Was.

So I want to play a heavy armored war mage. The flavorful option would be to take Fighter 1. The more optimized option would be Forge Cleric 1 for the equivalent of a fighting style, PLUS cantrips, heals and slots. BUT I don't want to be a fucking cheesing munchkin.

Wat do? Do I ask my DM if he thinks its too lame or whether I should do it but self-moderate on my cantrip/spell selection?

what's stopping you from being another ruthless and cunning motherfucker?
Also what's stopping you from making a spell that steals another's intellect?

Take fighter 2 (for action surge) and then go war mage wizard from the UA.

Are there any rules for naval combat? I want to run a nautical campaign but I don't know how to do the ship battles.

If you want your OC donut steel to be Vecna, but betterer and smarterer, we can't really stop or dissuade you.
I'm just telling you that "Hey, that guy must be tought, he easily beaten Vecna!" is a pretty cheap way to introduce your BBEG.

check out 3.5's Stormwrack for inspiration

It is Pokemon-related, that much I can tell, largely due to the Omanyte appearing multiple times. Also, the four figures on the second row of the image appear to resemble the Elite Four types from the original game (Dragon, Ghost, Fighting, Ice).

Can't quite tell which way this is supposed to be read, however. Based on the badge-symbols, it almost looks as if it is supposed to be read from the bottom up, which doesn't really track with how such a representation would read.

I am not a DM tough.

Focus more on boarding ships ala fire emblem rather than shooting cannons and stuff.
You can just fluff ship damage during fights and say the party needs to make/pay for repairs.

Yeah I mean war magic wizard from XGE is what I will go after the dip in either case.

youtube.com/watch?v=dGTgdE0MYpw

It's Twitch Plays Pokemon fan art, guys. It's been a huge thing like two or three years ago.
Literally, not figuratively, a hundred thousand people once controlled the player character in Pokemon Red as they tried to beat the game.
youtu.be/aG2Dc2bp4oU

That would explain the Flareon-like figure, as well as the protagonist-figure constantly covering his face.

Thank you for the further explaination.

Does anyone know of a quality scan of CoS that is also word searchable? and hopefully the Contents table is page-linked etc..

Oh shit the one in the trove is PERFECT. Thought it was the same file I had and didn't bother to check.

What's your favorite ritual? Why?

Find familiar. One of the most useful and versatile spells in the game. Worth taking on basically any character who can get it.

youtu.be/dGTgdE0MYpw
>It's a Crawford episode
Thank fucking Lord. Lord Helix, I guess, since we're doing the thing?

Rary's Telepathic Bond of Infinite Tactical Analysis and Strategizing

My party will be delving into the lair of the Bear King. Does anyone have any good bear or bee themed puzzles or traps?

honey

>bear themed traps

>I use point buy

I think bears and traps are mutually exclusive.

>I play D&D

Was Argynvost from CoS an Adult Silver or Ancient Silver?

*Dnd 5e

>We've got the Oath of Redemption because ya'll didn't like the Way of Tranquility enough.
>Doesn't say anything about unarmored defense or blunt force mind control.
>Lists off basically everything else from the UA.

Also how come a wizard even need a spell book? If you can cast a spell in combat you shouldn't need a fucking book to remember it? Also an Elf that lives hundreds of years should be able to memorize far more spells than a human.

Why doesn't every video just come with a PDF of what they are going to release in XGE with them too? :(

>I post dumb wojaks

Probably not ancient, since Strahd could fit his bones into a single room.

They're hype vids, not spoiler vids. And it seems like they're working.

>I boast about my intelligence anonymously

Can a wizard be out-wizarded by a sorcerer?

If an enemy spellcaster, such as an evil wizard, uses a spellcasting focus like a wand or a staff rather than a component pouch, would you allow a player character to use a disarming attack to knock the staff out of their hands and prevent them from casting spells with material components?

No

Of course. Disarm in the DMG. IIRC it's an attack roll vs acrobatics or athletics?

What if they use sorcerer points?

I mean, I guess? That's why component pouch is best.
By the way, did you know that bards and clerics can ALSO use the component pouch?

Of course man, makes sense no? Might need an athletics contest to get it off him tho

Still no. Sorcerers are wizards, but worse in every way. If you don't believe me, sorcerers have Careful Spell, while Wizards have Sculpt Spell. Go on and compare the two, right now. I'll wait.

>comparing one thing to one other thing means this class is better than that class

I actually think it does in this case user
>WIZARD
>SUPERIORITY

Sone faggot at WotC looked at the Sorcerer, thought "Hey wouldnt these be cool on a Wizard?" And then ripped them straight from the Sorcerer, buffed them, and put them on the Wizard.

And then they nerfed the Sorcerer.

So yeah, outside of twin and quickened spell, which is mostly relevant for cheese or certain burst builds (and at a high cost), Wizards are superior in every single way. Sorcerers can't have nice things, lest they approach the ability of a Wizard, and make some autist at WotC REEEEEEs until the status quo is once again in effect.

Good thing they gave Divination Wizards an underpowered foresight ability to make up for it all :)

Socerers should work as a mini-class, or a trait.
Like you are a warrior with sorceror trait, every x lvl you gain a spell with some uses.

Alright. I'll list a few things and name who does what best:
>Utility
Wizard
>Blasting and sheer damage
Wizard
>AoE
Wizard, who also have added flexibility in avoiding damaging their allies. For free.
>Spell selection
Wizard have almost twice the amount of spells in their list, and can switch them out for whatever they need. Enjoy your handful of spells as a Sorcerer.
>Gish-like character
Sorce- wait whats that? Stone Sorcerer got axed, and Wizards got a strictly superior War Wizard meant to be a heavily armoured wizard on the front lines? Well okay, wizard then I guess.
>T.. twin haste
SORCERER GOT A POINT, WOOOOO

And lets not forget
>Multiclass material to gouge their spell slots and/or Metamagic to fuel other classes strictly superior use of those resources.

Sorcerers are a mess right now.

Whipped this up today, please let me know how bad it is.

that might be the dumbest shit I've heard in my entire life. Good job, user.

How would 20ft of reach be represented on a grid? is it a 20 foot radius sphere centered on the creature with the reach?

Yes.

No, they should just be a proper spontaneous caster.

They should have a lot more freedom in choice of spells, and most importantly, they should have by far the easiest way to spam spells out of any caster.

I would almost find it tempting to give them Spell points instead, and then double the total spell points, in a campaign with a competing wizard (who still has to use his slots), just to see how the balance would play out. I have a feeling the Wizard would still be more useful.

why?
This would make martials on par with wizards, and would solve the problem of sorcerors being a shittier wizard.

You forgot
>Rituals
:^)

Seems all right to me. Weapon of Fire is pretty powerful compared to the cold survival thing that regular goliaths get. Maybe make it so they don't suffer from the effects of extreme heat—dehydration, heatstroke, and the like.

And call them something other than Fire Goliaths. Maybe...Surturs (singular surtur) after the fire giant from norse mythology.

What are your stats IRL /5eg/? I think mine are;
>14
>13
>13
>11
>7
>10
And you?

sorcerors are guys who use spells not because they try to understand and manipulate shit, simply because it's in their blood, thus it should be a trait, not a class.
If i receive spells because my blood, without having to train for it, what is stopping me from training my body to be a warrior and use my lineage spells?

Or...

Hear me out because this is going to sound wild, but what if, ans just read the while thing okay? What if... a Sorcerer was buffed - I know I know, just listen alright? - to be just as good as a Wizard?

I know, it's completely insane talk, but it might just be a possible alternative, you know?

Get.
OUT.

The problem is how to buff it tough, the whole sorceror idea is: i dont learn spells, i get them!!!
There must be something to offset their lack of flexibility.

>what is stopping me from training my body to be a warrior and use my lineage spells?
Nothing.

It is called multiclassing.

Also sorcerers can just grab a weapon and start swinging. So you dont even have to multiclass. Just pick sorcerer, go full Strength, grab High Elf, and start cutting people with a Longsword.

Boom, you trained your body to be a martial. You are now amazing, AND havr a full caster progression.

There's ways to fix sorcerer that isn't something as idiotic as that, user. Giving martials spells doesn't suddenly fix Martial-Caster disparity. Just look at EK. And even if it does somehow fix that disparity, then you have every martial taking the Sorcerer feat plus GWM/PAM/Sharpshooter/Whatever else, and then you just have way too much magic around.

By that logic, why isn't Warlock a background rather than a class?

>List the good stuff
>No mentions to the bad stuff
Seems they fixed the subclass

>By that logic, why isn't Warlock a background rather than a class?
EXACTLY!

Yeah. Like twice the amount of spell slots converted to spell points. They have less selection, but can do it all for hours after the wizard burned out.

Seems like a good way to balance it, honestly.

So you want to give him twice the spells and allow all his slots to be spent on high level spells? That seems to be going a little far.

>Hypnotic Pattern
Careful spell works while Sculpt Spell does not

You can carry 210 lbs? That's a bit surprising.

I'm going to be painfully honest with myself: 6/9/11/13/8/12

I'm a bit smart and people tend to like me for some reason, but I had to work at it, I can't read folks, and I'm weak as shit.

well then you can basically reduce out every single class in the game in that manner.

Cleric just becomes the Apostle background. Wizards, too, can just be a background, cuz all you need to be a wizard is to study really hard. Bards are just a feat for music playing.

and then suddenly you're not playing DnD anymore.

Sorcerers are better blasters and come online earlier (+CHA to damage at level 6 while Wizards have to wait till level 10 for the +INT)

Trap ideas:
>magically induced hibernation
>Ghosts of wolf people that challenged the bear king and were slain
>Rub a back on a tree to make the tree release chemical scent which pacifies plant guards

exaclty my point
classes are dumb, everything should be background and your traits and powers should be point buy.

Eldritch Knight?