Playing monstrous creatures

What's your opinion on players trying to play races such as Minotaur, Orc, Kobold..etc?

Do you let them or do you tell them to fuck off?
If you let them do you create "realistic" reactions from the NPCs the party meets?
Or do you let them play without bringing attention to their race?

I think a GM should play race relations.....it's a part of a setting. Can't expect a bunch of elven villagers to be as open to an half-orc as they are to a Dwarf.......

Wait...bad example....

Can't expect a bunch of elven villagers to be as open to an half-orc as they are to a Human.......

Nope...still a bad example

to an half-orc as they are to other elves.......

You know maybe Elves are the problem

DM discretion, really. If your game isn't based around or doesn't have a race or monster species a player wants, talk to them and see if they can compromise. Then again, if everyone wants to play some kind of monster roll with it, see where it takes you, make it interesting. Most likely they want a reaction from what monster they want to play, throw that aspect into the game, have fun with it.

Of course, there's a mechanical limit to what they can play, but you can adjust that limit to fit your game. players want liches, werewolves and vampires? Adjust the difficulty to match.

Only good Elf is a dead one.

Depends on system.

Or a cooked one.

i would allow it if it wasn't always attempted by furries that want an excuse to rape

Sure thing man, but it costs 1 perk.
Homebrew simple system, everything goes as long as the game's setting's fine.
Dungeon crawling? Minotaur, Centaur, Lamia, Octopus and Drider party ahoy.
Mock Warhammer Fantasy Vermintide but in pen and paper? Good Man, Angrier Man, Flaming Woman, Cheeky Elf or Friendly Dwarf only.
Conan? Humans only. no picts

Currently playing a Centaur character in a campaign set in the Dark Souls universe.

Everything was fine until halfway through the first session when I realized there are about 1,000 LADDERS in Dark Souls.

But to actually contribute to the thread: I think monster races are fine as long as they can do everything a regular race can. (E.I. a race who is bipedal)

Not monstrous enough for me.
I'm more a fan of eldritch horrors or sapient colonial organisms.
They're fun.

>.........................................
Kill yourself.

Get out of here youngster

my fist priority as a DM is to help my players have fun, if a game isn't fun then whats the point?
if a player comes to me with an interesting concept that happens to be a monster i'm totally cool with it, provided it meets a few requirements.
1. it doesn't wreck all sense of game ballence
- if it makes it so others can't have fun because they're to overpowered then we've got a problem. in this case i try to rework the character before asking them to retire it.
2. the chosen race exists within the setting and could reasonably be inserted.
- for instance, no you can't play a drow noble in the redwall setting. but i will totally stat up a pygmy marmoset for you if you can help be draw up a culture for them that i can insert into the setting somewhere.
3. their concept doesn't fly in the face of all common sense given established lore, be it mine or from the book.
- that said if someone comes to me with a well thought out explanation for why this half demon is a paladin of [insert lawful good god] and are willing to role play it well, exceptions can be made.
4. it isn't blatant fetish bait.
- playing a "furry" race is fine, i do that all the time myself. spending time every session reminding everyone how voluptuous your kitsune is and trying to yiff every NPC that crosses your path is very not ok. my games do not exist to top off your spank bank. that said, i'm not the boner police. if you keep it on the DL and don't make everyone uncomfortable on a regular basis i don't give a fuck what you do to yourself when you get home.

players of monsters should be ready to be on the receiving end of some good old fantasy racism. you wanna be a gnoll, fine but everyone's gonna treat you like like they would any gnoll until you prove to them you aren't like every other gnoll they've met/heard about. as long as their concept is believable and well role played i see no reason not to let them play it. if that's what fun to them then i want to facilitate that fun.

>my fist priority
*Giggle*

Also:
>playing a "furry" race is fine
see pic

i knew the mere mention of tolerating furrys would draw this kind of comment from someone. congrats on being the first aboard the bandwagon.
though i fail to see what's so funny about making fun a priority.

You wrote 'fist' instead of 'first'.
So it sounds like you're ensuring the 'fun' of your players with more than just good world building.

Change Elf to Dwarf and you got it right. Not that being xenophobic is a bad thing

>Not that being xenophobic is a bad thing

Don't bring /pol/ into this you faggot

wow i am dense and bad at spelling.
the meaning of your quotes around 'fun' are lost on me, is it meant to be ironic or what?

yeah that's pretty much the idea. lore, world building and rules are all fine and very necessary things to have but if they get in the way of the fun then they have become roadblocks that must be smashed with the mightiest of smashing implements. if a game isn't fun or in some other way enjoyable for everyone it soon becomes a chore, interest wains and it withers and dies. I've had/been in to many games that died because of that so now i take great pains to avoid the pitfalls and perils that have killed games before.

How are centaurs fluffed in that campaign? Are they vulnerable to the Undead Curse?

They can fuck off. I am so sick of these fucking niggers who think they are allowed to play whatever they want in my campaigns. No, your shitty tengu is not allowed. No, your ratfolk is not allowed. No, your catfolk is not allowed. No, your tiefling is not allowed: that is a literal fucking demonspawn. Why the fuck would that be allowed in any campaign, let alone this one? No, you cannot play a drow. You will be shot on sight on the surface. Half these fuckers don't even read Drizz't so they have no excuse for wanting to play a drow, besides "lol it's different." Fuck different. Here's the thing: your race is the most boring fucking part of your character. Unless you do something interesting with it (which 90% of these stupid cunts don't do), then you are just weighing down the game. When you have a thri-keen, some homebrew furry shit, a tiefling and some fuck who wants to play kender, you know what? Fuck this. I made a setting that actually feels somewhat like the real world because it doesn't have 90 different races running around like it's motherfucking Mos Eisley cantina. It's not my fault that YOU are a bad roleplayer who can't be satisfied playing something out of the core book. Create an interesting character, and you can play as a human for the rest of your RPG career. I had groups that were entirely human yet they had personalities that seemed like real people. But no, no one wants to lump in 30 homebrew races plus 60 official wizards of the coast crapshit races they pump out like chocolate because they know it will keep people entertained and requires zero effort on their part. No DM worth shit wants to spend hours and hours putting that in his world. Play. A. Fucking. Human. You need to EARN the privilege of playing another race, by proving you can competently play a normal character first. You don't get the big boy toys until your prove you can be responsible for them.

stale pasta is stale

I don't have a problem with it unless it is unfair for balance reasons. In that case you can just play an immature version and make it weaker.

Not to be that guy, but this is one of the reasons I don't much like Dungeons and Dragons. It makes stuff like this a lot more complicated.

Why does it think humans so important? Humans interesting, yes! Weird, so weird, do all kinds of weird things. Consume so much liquid. But humans are not important, no. Don't taste good, either. We watch because humans are interesting, not because humans important.
It thinks it is clever, with its anger and hate and funny words, but we are cleverer, yes. It should leave and consume liquids before it gets thirsty.

"huuuuuuuuu my homebrew game is so simple and clean and elegant huuuuuuuuuuu"

fuck off, piss-rat.

I don't usually do it, but I see no problem with it if it fits the setting.

>Do you let them or do you tell them to fuck off?

Depends on setting and tone.

>If you let them do you create "realistic" reactions from the NPCs the party meets?

Yes, though the realistic reaction will change from setting to setting.

I've only played a monstrous race once, when the DM/player pair that designed the setting clearly wanted someone to run one of their beast races. I played a minotaur, it was pretty fun.

None of those are overpowered, so, no prob.