Making a Sandwich

Sup Veeky Forums.

Not sure how many people even remember her, but once upon a time, there was a Veeky Forums OC called Sandwich, and everybody loved her. I'm getting into a new campaign this weekend and a fancy struck me: I feel like playing Sandwich Stoutaxe, or a variant of her, since the DM's campaign setting isn't FR and doesn't have Moradin.

Anyway, I have his abridged setting notes, and since Sandwich was a Veeky Forums creation, I was wondering which of these guys you think should fill in for Moradin in this iteration of her:

"Urimm, Ancestor of Gold: In dwarven religion, Urimm All-Father is the progenitor of the gods, the creator of the earth, and shaper of the dwarf race. Portrayed as dour, stern, and unshakeable in judgement, Urimm is a chthonic deity of the deep earth, believed to dwell at the heart of the great Underdark. He has dominion over all things beneath the ground, and is the keeper of dwarven souls, amassing them beside him for the day they are needed and the mummified remains of all honourable underfolk will be made whole again and rise to fight at his side. Urimm is representative of the highest values of dwarven society; he is associated with death and gloom but also with justice, honour, diligence, and respect for the ma’ram – the laws of the world."

"Khaledem, Ancestor of Steel: The quintessential god of battle, Khaledem is Urimm’s first son and his champion at arms. In his youth, Khaledem was said to be a wild warrior who feared no beast and heeded no master, but in choosing his battles unwisely he fought the Great Dragon and barely survived in a scarred, eyeless state. Urimm, in an act of pragmatic mercy, gave up one of his eyes so his son could see again, and from then on Khaledem was wiser in thought and action. Khaledem is associated with the dwarven military virtues – bravery, martial skill, and the willingness to remain steadfast against any odds. He is considered the ultimate defender of all dwarven holds and the patron of warriors."

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Late_night_at_the_forge
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There's also two other gods (basically the god of being a smart banker and the god of vengeance), but they seem less fitting, in my opinion.

I was also wondering if anyone would want to see a travel log from this version of Sandwich, like anons were writing for her in the old days. I'm not immensely confident in my writing, but I could try my hand at it. The sessions are planned weekly so I'd try to get journal entries done at that pace.

iirc sandwich was a paladin, so Urimm

Thanks for the input user. He's up there as my first choice. I'm mostly considering Steelgod in the running for the bravery and defense of others theme.

Don't feel like you need to conform to what someone else wrote years ago. Nobody owns this concept. If you have a better idea for this character, go with it! Do what you want and what you think will be fun.

Which god is likely to have warriors that would train someone like Sandwich Stoutaxe?

That thumbnail made her look like she was bottomless save for a pair of panties.

I am disappoint.

Thanks user. I guess I just felt like, since she came from Veeky Forums, I should at least get an opinion from anyone who still remembers her.

Well, that's the thing, this is all the information I have on them right now. Urimm seems like a mixture of Odin and Hades, plus the typical dwarven virtues, which coincidentally are typical paladin virtues. The thing about Khaledem that makes me consider him is that he's clearly at least somewhat about dorf stubbornness, and Sandwich definitely should be tenacious as fuck.

These dwarves are slightly weird though. They have an almost Egyptian feel to them, I think. Super anal about death and death rites.

Take heart, I'm sure there's lewd images of her somewhere on 1d4chan, user.

Small bump before bed. Might as well.

I miss Sandwich and characters like her.

Yeah, I gotta say, I don't recall anything like her occurring in the last two or three years. Maybe I'm just retarded but it seems like OC on Veeky Forums has just ceased completely.

Wouldn't have anything to do with banning huge segments of the Veeky Forums populations fun, or anything, would it?

Well, I guess that's one theory. I'm not sure I fully believe it, though. I'm sure it's had an impact, but don't believe all those people just upped and left Veeky Forums completely. That stuff didn't actually bring people to Veeky Forums, after all. TTRPGs, board games, wargames, TCGs, etc, brought people to Veeky Forums, and they found the creative stuff happening here alongside it, supposedly because all the above inspired that sort of content.

Stuff like Sandwich was spontaneous, too. It didn't happen in, like, the weekly Sandwich thread.

I remember a recent (half a year ago?) attempt to make some sort of a new giantess barbarian mascot or something. There were two or three threads about her, and then it fizzled out, because you can't manufacture a meme.

Lewd images of her and an anvil, apparently.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Late_night_at_the_forge

I feel that characters like this hit that narrow sweet spot just shy of lolsorandom. Or maybe it's because enough effort and genuineness were put into it, I dunno.

Point being, they're good.

Yeah, I saw something like that on /co/ recently. It got pretty far, with well above average concept art and everything, until it all just imploded one day. I think there's an inherent limit to these more structured projects on Veeky Forums, in that you have so many dissenting voices and polarized ideas about quality, that beyond the initial vague concept few points of consensus can be found. There'll always be a few people trying to roll every decision back, and on an anonymous board they can appear much more numerous than they really are.

I can't help but notice that the creative stuff that lasts more than a year, or even more than a few months now, is all 40K related. Nobledark, Hector Heresy, Imperium Asunder, etc. They're all very manufactured products but they endure, I assume, because there's just such a huge audience for them.

It's the mozzarella factor. Just the right amount of cheese. Its' not too strong, and it's not too mild, and it goes with pretty much everything.

Everybody loves a fish out of water. Everybody loves a story about overcoming adversity. Everybody loves stories about the odd one out. Everybody loves a cute girl. Sandwich is the kind of concept that has broad, universal appeal. You could probably make a Sandwich cartoon and normal people would love it, because it takes braid, universal themes and broad, easily-recognizable concepts and mashes them together just askew enough for them to be charmingly misplaced and silly.

A while back we had a quasi quest thread about a goblin shopkeeper. That was fun.

>I was also wondering if anyone would want to see a travel log from this version of Sandwich, like anons were writing for her in the old days. I'm not immensely confident in my writing, but I could try my hand at it. The sessions are planned weekly so I'd try to get journal entries done at that pace.

Is this even allowed here anymore?

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that. The old stories sort of just petered out, and the last two were kinda shit.

Also Urimm is the better of the two.

Yeah, the last stories read like some kind of weird guest appearance by the writer's DMPC. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember not being able to read them all the way through, on account of excessive cringing. They may have even been what put people off doing more Sandwich stuff after that.

You know, for a long ass time, I used to think of the chick in the OP image for Frost Giant Quest as Veeky Forums's mascot. Or my Veeky Forums mascot, anyway. I don't think I ever read much of the actual threads, oddly enough, it just stuck out to me as a cool thing and a strong image. Dunno why.

Man, I remember this. This is the one where the paladin adopts a drow kid whose house got purged, right? Did this one ever get actual names assigned to faces and stories and stuff, or was it just a bunch of images?

fun thing, my wife's first DnD character was an elf (a normal wood elf), raised by dwarves. her adoptive father was a paladin of moradin and she grew up to become a ranger to be able to track and kill every orc she found (orcs killed her true parents)

she ended up ruling a human kingdom... a elven queen with dwarf maners ruling humans

Well, unlikely parents aren't too rare in fantasy stories. Dwarf/elf parent-child mixtures are almost like the most natural extreme of this trope when you apply it to standard high fantasy.

If it was Pathfinder, I'd make a Gingerbread Witch and eat the Sandwich.

I'm afraid it's not, so no fetish classes.

From what I've heard the rest of the party will be an artificer, a fighter, a rogue, and one unknown.

well, the only think i that came to my head when she described her character's past was pic related, and i thought my friends would not agreee with it but they just didnt gave a shit and she ended up playing "good" most of the time (she used to play as a warrior instead of a ranger, the classic -im not using my wolf cus he might get hurt, im not sending the eagle to explore cus they might shot him down, etc)

Sandwhich was, IIRC, specifically an orphaned Drow who was adopted because they were just an innocent infant and the only thing that didn't ping evil ('dad' was a paladin?)

So she was raised in the forge and in traditional tsundere gruff dwarven style, mostly just called by her job - to bring food to the forge workers. Aka, "OI! Sandwhich!"

And it stuck so her name became Sandwhich

Actually I think the dad was just a fighter, and the baby was just a foundling, no sign of the parents.

According to 1dchan...

>Sandwich is so named because her adoptive father discovered the basket containing her, assumed it was filled with sandwiches, and gambled for it. Upon getting the basket home, Gilgal was disappointed to learn that, rather than containing a delicious snack, the basket contained a drow infant. He ended up adopting her at the urging of his sister Vera. In his frustration, he named the child Sandwich.

>Well, that's the thing, this is all the information I have on them right now. Urimm seems like a mixture of Odin and Hades, plus the typical dwarven virtues, which coincidentally are typical paladin virtues. The thing about Khaledem that makes me consider him is that he's clearly at least somewhat about dorf stubbornness, and Sandwich definitely should be tenacious as fuck.
>These dwarves are slightly weird though. They have an almost Egyptian feel to them, I think. Super anal about death and death rites.

That does sound interesting.
I want to know more about the lands and strongholds of the stocky pharaohs.

Well, I only have so much information right now. What I do know is they mummify and seal away their dead, and go to extreme lengths to stave off decay beforehand, because they believe all dwarves remain in their bodies after death. No immediate afterlife, instead they expect to be returned to service in their bodies when their gods finally deem the time right. So a dwarf ghost is a super abomination to them and they stop at nothing to either bind them back in place or annihilate them. Destroying a dwarf's body is considered the worst thing you can do, and only the worst oathbreakers and traitors are denied burial rites, because the gods are the ultimate judges and every dwarf may yet have a purpose after death.

Also they're apparently very anal about grammar. They treat exceptional works of craftsmanship as being guided into existence by one of their gods, and write a separate letter of commendation to him for them, just as you would for the mortal smith. If his temple decides the letter's grammar is poor they can be fined or flogged.

Anyway, I'm literally heading off to the first session of the campaign right now, after posting this, so we'll see how things go.

DRRRRROWWWWWW?!!!
>badwrongfun is the creed of neo-Veeky Forums