Fae Party

My players have decided to host a banquet for some fae in hopes of showing off their power. How can I fuck with them short of outright hostilities at the party? Really any kind of idea for events/conversations/characters would be appreciated. I'm trying to stock the place up so they can work the room on their own and meet some people.

Fair folk in this setting are of the cosmically autistic variety. Not outright cruel, but incredibly petty and not great at wrapping their heads around the whole concept of human rights. Pet humans will be in attendance as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_ring#Cultural_references
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do a rip off of the Trojan War. Have the Prince of Fools show up uninvited, bearing a golden apple engraved with the words "For the most beautiful". Watch trouble ensue as multiple fae queens insist it should be theirs.

That's pretty fucking awesome

I'd recommend just having the fae creatures belittle the humans whenever possible. No matter what they do the fae think it's quaint, but they're impressed with just how much humans can manage with "limited potential" etc

Many pixies playing many pixie tricks.

>The unearthly tall lady in front of you bends down and hands you a box. It's surprisingly heavy.
>You remove the lid to find a disturbingly accurate replica of your own head
>It begins screaming, "NO! DO NOT GO THERE! WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT GO BEYOND IT! LOOK AT ME AND TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE WANT TO GO TO AND BE OF THEM! DO NOT GO --"
>You shut the lid. "Thank you."
>"Yes... it was made special for you, some... hundred years ago, perhaps. It prophecies, sometimes, we think."
>It does not do to refuse a gift from the Fae

>I appreciate your graciousness, Lords.
>I'm honored to accept your gift.
>The fae seizes a nearby NPC
>I hope you don't mind but I've already got a few of these kind. I'll just...
> Twists the person as they scream in agony, inverting joints and bending the spine
>Jeff the waiter is now Jeff the "dog"

When they stop the party, it should be years into the future and everything has changed. The party hasn't aged in that time.

There should be tall fae, small, maybe some undine or water nymphs. Maybe fae of each elemental kingdom

>My players have decided to host a banquet for some fae in hopes of showing off their power
Your players sound like goddamn retards.

>You double-take as you suddenly come face to face with... your own face?
>Standing before you is an exact copy of you, albeit clad in a glittery, skin-tight catsuit, with a belled choker around its neck, and a strange, dazed, hazy-eyed expression on its face, somewhere between blissful and lobotomized, mouth wide open.
>It seems to be looking through you, rather than at you, no matter how much you might try and grab its attention, and just as a dollop of drool begins to drip from its lower lip, it turns on its heel and scurries away.
>You chase after it amidst the hustle and bustle of the banquet, near-losing sight of it more than once, but then it stops, joining a whole group of... more you's? Same body, same face, same strange attire; a group of nine or ten, flocked like ducklings around a gangly, slender-limbed elfin... thing, easily seven or eight feet tall, clad in a purple-striped fur cloak, and armlets made of rainbow-gold, facing away from you.
>The "you" you encountered first tugs at its master's sleeve and points in your direction, and without thinking, your eyes fast-track to the creature's head, and you barely have time to notice its many prehensile antennae before its neck snaps 180 degrees, and you're suddenly transfixed, your eyelids pried open by an invisible force, as its all-black, glistening, lidless eyes, how many you're not sure, lock with yours, for a split second that dilates into so much more, where the murmur of the banquet fades into the background as silken whispers in a tongue you've never heard before worm their way into your ear canals, summoning a delirious stream of images in your head that you'll never be able to unsee.
>The walls of the room bend and flex, the ground quakes, contours melt into each other, colors sound strange, and the creature grins a needle-fanged grin much wider than its face should allow...

If a player compliments an object out of turn as in trying to start conversation, the fae will try to make it a permanent part of that person.

Compliment the food to start conversation? Never taste anything but what you complimented ever again.

Compliment a fae's dancing ability without seeing them dance and low charisma? Get teleported back every night for an hour to dance with them.

What's going on here, exactly? I liked where you started off with the doppleganger but the rest of this just kinda seemed to go a bit grimderp

Fairy Rings, give it a read
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_ring#Cultural_references

These are neat

I like this

>What's going on here, exactly?
oh savory . . .

Bump

>inviting faeries into your home
>for any reason

Your players deserve everything that's coming to them.

Reminder that Fey are present only in mythos of the weak, cowardly and effeminate Eternal Anglo. Manly cultures were never afraid of fairies.

>No fear of little men
It's like you want to get spirited away

They've made some mistakes but this one is going to hold a special place in my heart.

One word. Boredom.

Think about the Fae and all the fucked up shit they do and their long lives. There is no way some dumb mortals can entertain them. Dont have the Fae do wild things, just have them incredibly bored by the players and mildly not entertained by everything they do. But have it super important that they are pleased by this party for reasons. Then watch the players plot and freak out.

would you really want to do something so transparently derivative?

Don't.

I know, not like those Central, Northern, and Eastern Europeans with gnomes and trolls and whatnot filling the exact same niche...

One of the players speaks out of turn, now they have a blood feud with a clan of pixies.

One of them starts talking about fighting? Red caps, everywhere.

Compliment a beautiful fae? The males lusting after her challenge you to a duel for her attention while her enemies plot to kill you.

This thread is semi-relevant to something I'm working on myself and seems pretty slow so to introduce a new topic; I have a druid who communes with fey creatures of the Seelie and Unseelie Courts via fey portals as well as dreams.

I'm pretty new to writing fey characters and could really use some help for getting the interactions off the ground that she'd experience with these creatures.

Would it be more likely that she deals with two or three fey repeatedly over the course of her journey that she builds a rapport with, and even receives tasks/favors from?

>My players have decided to host a banquet for some fae in hopes of showing off their power.
That might be one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. And I've heard a LOT of bad ideas over the years.

>"Can you really call this a party? No one's even been force-fed their own mouths yet."
>"What, we're meant to eat this drivel you call food? As in, we're not expected to cannibalize one another?"
>"I'd hardly call this entertainment. That one's not even being strangled by his own entrails."

Up the airy mountain,
Down the rushy glen,
We daren’t go a-hunting
For fear of little men;
Wee folk, good folk,
Trooping all together;
Green jacket, red cap,
And white owl’s feather!

Down along the rocky shore
Some make their home,
They live on crispy pancakes
Of yellow tide-foam;
Some in the reeds
Of the black mountain-lake,
With frogs for their watchdogs,
All night awake.

High on the hill-top
The old King sits;
He is now so old and grey
He’s nigh lost his wits.
With a bridge of white mist
Columbkill he crosses,
On his stately journeys
From Slieveleague to Rosses;
Or going up with the music
On cold starry nights,
To sup with the Queen
Of the gay Northern Lights.

They stole little Bridget
For seven years long;
When she came down again
Her friends were all gone.
They took her lightly back,
Between the night and morrow,
They thought that she was fast asleep,
But she was dead with sorrow.
They have kept her ever since
Deep within the lake,
On a bed of fig-leaves,
Watching till she wake.

By the craggy hillside,
Through the mosses bare,
They have planted thorn trees
For my pleasure, here and there.
Is any man so daring
As dig them up in spite,
He shall find their sharpest thorns
In his bed at night.

Up the airy mountain,
Down the rushy glen,
We daren’t go a-hunting
For fear of little men;
Wee folk, good folk,
Trooping all together;
Green jacket, red cap,
And white owl’s feather!

CHILDREN born of fairy stock
Never need for shirt or frock,
Never want for food or fire,
Always get their heart’s desire:
Jingle pockets full of gold,
Marry when they’re seven years old.
Every fairy child may keep
Two strong ponies and ten sheep;
All have houses, each his own,
Built of brick or granite stone;
They live on cherries, they run wild—
I’d love to be a Fairy’s child.

>Reminder that Fey are present only in mythos of the weak, cowardly and effeminate Eternal Anglo. Manly cultures were never afraid of fairies.
I find it amusing; the slavs and the others all have fairy tales about how if you go out into the woods, night horrors kill you horribly.

It's only a few places like England, Japan, Finland that you actually have a chance of holding a reasonable discussion with these otherworldy beings, because we've actually got some fucking culture and aren't so afraid and unimaginative of the scary things in the woods that we say "don't talk to them or they'll kill you".

In China, faeries take care of the Jade Emperor's palace.

Not sure if I can help but i'll relate my experiences in case an user can get an idea out of it.

I once played a Chaotic Good Ancient Pact Paladin, whose background was she was a human changling - that is, a human infant stolen from the crib and taken into fey lands. She was raised among them for some centuries, as one does, before having a yearning to see what became of her birth family and leaving with her "mothers" blessing.

Her mannerisms were impeccable, but a constant source of confusion for the party. She was very polite - to everything. She would greet doors, mice, rocks, tree's, etc.

She was constantly on the look out for something she called Owls and Stoats. No one was sure if Owls and Stoats was a card game, or a dish, or whatever but she was always disapointed when she couldn't find any in each village.

She rode a giant snail called Montgomery, who stood in for her warhorse. Montgomery was fond of catterpillars and moonshine.

If anyone ever thanked her - for any reason - she would give them something. It had to be something personal too, it couldn't just be money. She always seemed quite irritated when people thanked her, too. She kept a collection of bits and gubbins to hand off to people - shells, brushes, cutlery etc to hand to people whenever they said "thank you" to her. When questioned she would say that she didn't want to get stuck.

Anyway it turned out she arrived a hundred years before she set out and she hadn't even been born yet, so she gently encouraged her ancestors to settle where she knew she would be later.

In china, the Jade Emperor's daughters are fairies.

>Tian Xian Pei - Fairy Couple

>The seven daughters of the Jade Emperor travel to the mortal world. The youngest of the seven fairy maidens was in search of her lost weaving equipment and her "coat of feathers," without which she was unable to fly. Another version of the story states that the seventh fairy's feather coat was actually stolen by a mortal named Dong Yong, advised by one of his cattle who happened to be an exiled fairy as well and disguised as a normal, aged bull. During the stay, the maiden falls in love with Dong Yong. He is a poor worker who had sold himself into servitude to pay for his father's funeral. With help of the other fairies, the seventh fairy managed to weave ten pieces of brocade for Dong Yong to pay off his debt, shortening his indenture to 100 days. Before the couple can begin their life together, the Jade Emperor orders his daughters to return home. However, he is kind enough to allow the couple to reunite once a year on the 七夕 (the 7th Evening) -- later known as the traditional Chinese Qixi Festival -- by crossing the Milky Way.

>In memory of this story, ancient Chinese astrologers named two prominent stars that stand at a distance from each other 牛郎, "shepherd man," and 織女, "weaving girl." These are the stars Altair in the constellation Aquila and Vega in Lyra.

>if you go out into the woods, night horrors kill you horribly
>England, Japan, Finland
That's because those places don't have that many natural dangers, so you pussies have little chance get murdered when you wander in the woods at night.

That's because we tamed the shit out of them. You're too pussy to go out into the woods to tame them, so that's why you guys are scared of what lives in the dark.

>That's because we tamed the shit out of them
No, it's because you never had anything truly dangerous. Nothing that's even worth taming.

Write down a list of things the players could do to offend the fey before hand, things like serving fish or not accepting a gift.
Then play it 100% legit with the fey being a bit funny but mostly friendly.
Until something goes wrong.

....you do realize that Japan has shrines to bears that have killed upwards of 50 people, right?

Not that user, but I never heard of this. Elaborate?

>upwards of 50 people
Do elaborate, because if it's the bear I'm thinking of, it's 7 people.

>No, it's because you never had anything truly dangerous. Nothing that's even worth taming.
Yeah, we killed the super dangerous shit because we're not pussies like you, duh.

What dangerous shit? There never was any. You sat around a fire and wanked your dicks until better people brought tamed beasts and civilization to you.

Bears, plural. In the last ten years there haven't been many, but every year previous has had 3-6 people die because of bears in Japan. the Sankebetsu bear attack was unique in that it was a single bear that killed 7 people. 20-50 get injured by bears regularly, as well. That's the opposite of 'safe to wander around in a forest'.

also the giant japanese murder forest where compasses don't work is a thing

And that's why we're more civilised than you and have better fairy tales!