Roll20.net, getting into a DnD Group

I've been trying to get into DnD games for quite a while now on roll20 but no one seems to want to take an inexperienced player even when their game tag says "New Players Welcome". Im really getting tired of putting in applications to different games just to get denied and I'm not about to lie about having experience because if I fuck something up I want someone to let me know and not just think I'm a jackass. Does anyone have any advice because I'm ready to say F it.

i cant i get really anxious of dealing with people even online

If you want a satisfying TTRPG experience, you have to play with real life friends. Playing with randos online is ALWAYS a mistake. Even if you get invited into the games, 11/10 times they're absolute shit because you're playing with randoms online.

use Veeky Forums game finder instead roll 20 is horrible

I would play with friends but I am currently in college. Plus, back when I did play with my friends, they would purposely just try to ruin everything the DM spent hours creating that week to the point where the DM killed everyone then stopped talking to them since and that was 3 years ago... dont want to go down that road again

Veeky Forums game finder? Sorry I am new to this board. Should I just post to see if anyone has a game open?

play somewhere else first. then roll20 when you are no longer new.

>but I am currently in college

This is literally when I got into TTRPGs and made most of my friends that play that game. Bruh, you're in a situation where you're constantly around tons of people with free time to spare that all live in your area. See if you college has a traditional gaming club, or make one yourself, you're literally in the best possible situation to find players right now.

you want

If only you played GURPS, OP. I'm always glad to help new players learn my favorite system.

Don't go on gamefinder. It's full of retards and ERPers. Just go to reddit's LFG sub or something like that. Look for a discord server with LFG roles and such. Try to get to know the people

thank you!

I would do that but because im a chem major the only time I can play is super late at night so I was going to try to find ppl in later time zones....

Just noticing your tag is "DNDnewb", and this is gonna sound like memes here, but for the love of god start with ANYTHING except DnD. DnD is an absolute garbage game that only has a playerbase because of marketing.

It's the Call of Duty of Tabletop games. Nobody actually likes it, they just play it because they're too lazy to migrate to anything better.

Some GMs prefer newer players from my experience.

Try posting on the forums asking for someone to run a premade one shot for D&D noobies who are having trouble finding games. You might find someone willing to run a quick game for you.

I'd do it myself but I'm not too confident in my GMing to do it for random people.

Not the OP but.
>Play with real life friends.
>REAL LIFE FRIENDS

What are those? If I had friends do you think I'd be here? I want to play D&D and have for over two years, but much like OP randoms don't care for actual newbies (Like fresh) and are shit. And maybe unlike OP I can't make friend because I'm destined to be a fucking loser who's afraid of overcoming the "Making the friend" part with social interactions.

Guess I'll just keep listening to podcasts and hoping.

What times are you available? I might be able to run a quick one shot for you.

I like DnD though. Other systems aren't fun or take inordinate amounts of time to learn.

>Take inordinate amounts of time to learn.

You're aware most of the stuff on the market (that's not a complete joke like FATAL) is actually alot quicker and easier to learn than DnD. You're talking about a game that has a 300-page rulebook JUST FOR THE PLAYERS.

Just stop. Stop and think about what you're saying before you blindly become a defense-spouting DnDrone apologist.

Oh look it's another
>REEEEEEEE STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE

People like D&D Because a variety of reasons, stop shilling your shit and let the man look for group.

what this nigga said
i went from literally spending an entire year in my room alone to having 3 gaming groups and a club to go to every week just from looking into my college's tabletop club
unless you're working or retarded, there's no way you wont have enough time to play with someone

>Nobody actually likes it

but I like it, user

I love GURPS - I just started up a solo game of Reign of Steel. Love it.

this

Good taste bro

By far my favorite splatbook of any system, in any time. Just so well-made with such a great premise.

College is the easiest place to actually form an IRL group. You've got a bunch of bored young people who otherwise sit in a lounge and play video games/talk about shit in the same physical space on a regular basis.

You've solved half the issues with forming a group. Finding a time where you can all meet.

It's sad but true. The Veeky Forums game finder threads are just as bad as Roll20.

>11/10 times they're absolute shit because you're playing with randoms online.
Either sour grapes or you are trying to get into obviously shitty games and crying about it
My experience with roll20 has been great and with Veeky Forums players has been okay ( as long as you get some players who aren't obviously shitty erpers or flakes )
I've had worse experience with meatspace public games ( spergs in adventure league ) than private online games overall.

Aren't these joke applications?

I'm in a similar position. I've DMd dnd for my friends a few times but it never goes beyond 3 sessions before arguing or disinterest kills it. most of the time if we don't know the answer to a mechanics question we just make something up to keep the game going. now i actually want to be a player but i can't find any online games and I'm secretly scared that I've been playing wrong the entire time and I'll get REEEE'd at by some asshole.

i just want to play d&d guys what do?

I've tried games with Veeky Forums, I've tried Roll20 - they're all so terrible (and I travel so much) that I play solos instead. Love 'em.

Yeah, Roll20 is for spergs that just want power-fantasy/wish-fulfillment and are just awful to work with.

>Got an application from someone wanting to be a wolf archer
>Not a werewolf a wolf
>Not a ranger an "archer"
>Is named ponificus because the creator of the character is a brony

I have to say I had good experiences with Roll20.

I spent a week making dumb applications and applying with luck like most people.

Then I was bored one night scrolling the new games and saw one starting in an hour. The Dm forgot to make the listing public and remembered one hour before the session.

He took the first 7 people that applied, ignoring their dumb write ups or questions.

It was a good group. Out of the seven of us, four of us became a regular group.

One guy was like 12 with a 9pm bed time. One guy was 6+ time zones over and he said he would be fine (He fell asleep). And one guy just disappeared.

I have ran more games and tried to find new characters by vetting and interviews, but literally out of 4 or so I have done recently, not a single one was good.

Idk, its a mixed bag. But look for games starting soon, perhaps you will get lucky like me. Otherwise, starting Dm'ing, getting a good group together and then switching off occasionally. That is what my group does.

Maybe he wanted to shoot wolves out of his bow

>anecdotal evidence
>generalization
Now you just need the strawman, slippery slope and ad hominem and you'll have the penta-combo of logical fallacies. Keep it up

>Idk, its a mixed bag. But look for games starting soon, perhaps you will get lucky like me.
That's been my experience too.

So far, I had two games that lasted 1 year: one mutants and masterminds, one 5th edition dnd. Right now, I'm playing with some elegan/tg/entlemen over roll20 some L5R and we have been gaming regularly for the past couple of months.

You aren't bothering to use proper punctuation or capitalization, so you're already an automatic "Nah, fuck that" to any group that cares about quality.

If you aren't ESL, consider suicide.

If you are ESL, then go fucking play with your filth.

>Sleep
>On a Dragon

I did that once. It was horrible. Nice enough people, but the game was terrible.

I damn well fucking hope so.

This isn't true at all. I currently have 5 separate groups all found through here, discord and Roll20, two of which even have systems I don't like, but the groups are so enjoyable to play with I don't mind.

The caveat is that I probably went through 10 other groups of varying degrees of shit, but you just got to keep rolling the dice and working to keep the good players around.

You have to put yourself out there and be willing to maybe try something a bit out of your comfort zone, but the groups are out there, like most things in life though, it takes a bit of effort and work.

If you want to completely minimize any chance of ever getting REEEEE'd at by a raging autismo, don't play RPGs. Just don't.

Meanwhile in the classic D&D games that were actually huge this chart doesn't apply.

Meanwhile Basic D&D has like 120 pages of which 20 are of interest to the players and the rest is DM territory.

Yes they are.

Try Fantasygrounds, I found a group there. Their Discord LFG is pretty active. Don't be lazy though, if you really want to play then learn how to DM. That's what I did IRL and it's been very rewarding.