Flames of War: Russian Comrades edition /fowtg/

...I for one, accept our new Soviet overlords....

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

Soviet Brainstorming Batalon Discord
discord.gg/BfbxDSp

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DTV92wqYjfA
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOBxEJbNzS_Ec7I76zQmCU9P7o0C5bAgcXriKQ4bOWBp4QkA/viewform
reluctantconscripts.com/Eventsdetails/UK GT 2017 LISTS.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Noon question. Do East Germans play different than Russians?

Noob*

more swarm but you can actually drive over your wrecks.

I liked the fluff I read in Volksarmee, but the rules are still confusing me a bit so i dont really know what im looking at. And i ask because I'm not a Soviet buff and honestly don't even like them, but i really like underdogs. Also, hind gunships.

what they said.

Best Germany has the T-55AM2, the spam tank to end spam tanks (unless we get T-34's in TY) and it has cheaper, monkey-model T-72's
it does have +1 skill, and less overall toys. however, it is a viable horde army with a few options to choose from.

i'd wager T-72M's myself.....

The +1 skill is quite nice, because when you bring in your formation commander for a skill test you are looking at a 3+. While the T-72M has worse armor and AT than the T-72 for the Soviets, it’s better priced.

Probably the biggest downside to Volksarmee is that your base infantry teams are only FP 6 because the East Germans didn’t have the underslung GP-25 grenade launcher the Soviets had. Assaulting MG teams with a trained force is usually not a realistic goal, so the worse firepower hurts. You can try to compensate by bringing up your APCs to add to your firepower.

/NVA/
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ

>not
youtube.com/watch?v=DTV92wqYjfA

FF command cards changing ratings

Additional formations and unit, warriors

We're looking for some questions for our next episode of Panzerfunk.

Flames of War questions, Team Yankee questions, general wargaming or hobby questions, etc.

Hell, even stuff about podcasting or the podcast itself.

Submit your questions here:

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOBxEJbNzS_Ec7I76zQmCU9P7o0C5bAgcXriKQ4bOWBp4QkA/viewform

Thanks

A few of the cards like rangers or the shoot and scoot for TDs seem useful. Point balance for these cards seems to be all over the place. Then you have some cards like *insert football meme here* that are absolute ass cancer.

Who writes cards for Battlefront? They could have been more useful or more streamlined, but now they seem like a mess.

Had the term "Hail Mary Play" even been invented at that point?

>The expression goes back at least to the 1930s, being used publicly in that decade by two former members of Notre Dame's Four Horsemen, Elmer Layden and Jim Crowley. Originally meaning any sort of desperation play, a "Hail Mary" gradually came to denote a long, low-probability pass attempted at the end of a half when a team is too far from the end zone to execute a more conventional play, implying that it would take divine intervention for the play to succeed. For more than forty years, use of the term was largely confined to Notre Dame and other Catholic universities.

But really it was used mainstream in 1975 by Roger Staubach of the Dallas Cowboys

>version 4 was a mistake

>Who writes cards for Battlefront? They could have been more useful or more streamlined, but now they seem like a mess.

The same muppets who have been writing all of V4.

Can we now admit that the game is dying and shills and false hype won't save it?

Finished with these from the last thread now that my static flocker is done and I found some of my basing stuff. How'd I do?

Anyone else having problems getting stock of...well, almost everything lately?

Over the past few days I've ordered from various online stores (no LGS) and keep getting told items are "out of stock" or "out of production".

Can't get: Brumbars, Wirbelwind, Mobelwagen, 2-pdrs and 2-pdr portee for desert, Vickers Mk VI, A13 Cruisers, Matilda IIs, Marmon-Herringtons, StuG A, Brit LVTs, Greyhound, etc, etc. Many thing I only need 1-2 of each, but... nothing.

Pls tell me BF has not just died.

Finished with these from the last thread now that my static flocker is done and I found some of my basing stuff. How'd I do?

Based on these threads, interest here has certainly died. Good thing there's other systems you can use your stuff with, some don't even need you to rebase.

Are those on the left kanons or just Pak 40s? Sexy little guns. Bases look great.

Seems like a mix of typical BF incompetence and thinning of some of their blister lines. Maybe see if they'll special order some of it. Would be a damn shame to lose the catalog that BF had going.

8.8cm Pak 43/41

Grass looks great! And you didn't die, which is also a plus.

>Good thing there's other systems you can use your stuff with, some don't even need you to rebase.

Most of it is actually for Battlegroup.

I R O N I C
R
O
N
I
C

All this negativity...

For what it's worth, I'm still enjoying myself.

But then again, more than a few of you have accused me of being a shill. So... yeah...

Very nicely done!

my guess is the shit attitude is all the same butthurt user. not saying the rest of us are perfectly happy with V4. Calling anyone a shill for enjoying the new version is just autistic though.

>my guess is the shit attitude is all the same butthurt user.

This is possible, but these threads seem a lot slower than they used to be.

For sure. Not denying that. It's been a rough transition into V4. No thanks to the way BF have gone about it.

There is still some good out there and fun to be had.

>Calling anyone a shill for enjoying the new version is just autistic though.

You'll get no argument from me about that, but it has happened.

I enjoy what i enjoy, and if that make's me a "shill" for enjoying V4, then so be it.

I also enjoyed V3, although I found it very difficult to try to teach to people.

>but these threads seem a lot slower than they used to be.

Eh... Yes and no.

I find these threads tend to ebb and flow based on what the latest news or latest releases are.

The news about the Sgt York in Stripes had us all up in arms for the better part of two weeks, but the hysteria over that has seemed to have died down for now. Although I suspect that the hysteria will pick up again when we finally see stats for it.

As for V4 stuff, the most recent release is the Americans which really don't have anything too offensive.

The only potentially controversial thing at the moment (other than just blanket hate for the new edition) is that they're putting out a Fortress Europe style Armies of Late War book.

And even there the outrage is less about the book itself, and more about them doing something for Late War while skipping over Mid-War Italians and not even touching Mid-War Soviets yet.

>There is still some good out there and fun to be had.

And I for one will continue to enjoy myself for as long as I continue to find V4 fun.

>And even there the outrage is less about the book itself, and more about them doing something for Late War while skipping over Mid-War Italians and not even touching Mid-War Soviets yet.

I've seen some people upset about the book itself, but that has more to do with LW point values still being based on how the units worked in V3 and not taking those changes into account.

Although the point you make about a LW book before we get Italians or Soviets for MW is a valid one.

>Although I suspect that the hysteria will pick up again when we finally see stats for it.

How much do people want to bet that the Sgt York will be on par with, or better than, the Gepard?

My guess is carbon copy with at least AT 9, RoF 6, and FP 4+

>carbon copy

I hope not. Especially for a failed program.

With the changes to 1 smoke per battery per game as well as assault, what is the resistance to giving Soviets smoke?

>sgt york x geppard

my own 2 cents: it better be a fucking Shilka w FP,, not a Geppard. oh, i'll be a mad pecker if that York gets unfair due.

>We're hypothesizing that if the Yanks went to war they would've perfected it

Cheers

>the shit attitude is all the same butthurt user.
There's at least two of us, so... No.

I'm still waiting on over £150 of TY stuff, including the Red Thunder box I ordered AT LAUNCH.

So I heard that there's a new edition and the fact that the Desert Rats are well represented has got me interested since I've been considering a break from 40k.

How's the new edition/viability of the 7th Armored?

also
This might sound odd but what happens if nobody I know wants to play Germans? Like do people just play Allies vs Allies or what? Forgive me if this sounds dumb but I literally just moved to the Sacramento area a month ago and I have no idea what the area player base is like.

Asiatic hordes weren't allowed smoke as it stopped them maximising their casualties. Cheers.

Nah man, you can just play Germans generically. You got a few options. You can start with some MW tanks, which will be the same for the Eastern Front. The infantry will likely be structured a little differently. Or there is LW. You can also buy one of the big sweeping books like the Ardennes offensive, grey wolf, or fortress Italy. Even then a lot of those lists are similar. If you build StuGs or Panzer IVs or grenadiers (halftracks or not) with PaK 40s, you will have a few lists to keep up with.

We’ll see if we get it in MW
>tfw no smoke for Slavs

Perfect, you two should date.

Kill you sales rep and mail battlefront his head. They’ll get the message.

>what happens if nobody I know wants to play Germans? Like do people just play Allies vs Allies or what?
Allies vs allies works, it's a points-based game so you don't have to play historically matchups if you won't/can't. My past few games have been Finns vs Brits and Finns vs Finns.

>Kill you sales rep and mail battlefront his head. They’ll get the message.
This is pretty constant with BF. Nothing ever arrives on time, nothing's ever in full. I'm basically going to give up ordering anything from BF that's not in stock already, and probably anything that's not plastic, too. The resin is always sticky and their metal stuff is awful. Sure, they mail replacements quickly enough, but half the time they're also fucked.

We never play blue on blue.
Its boring game, so most members in my group have two armies of blue and red for TY, axis and allied for WW2.

hell, i ordered plastics in stock and am still missing one box. At least they didn't make me pay to split up the order in two pieces.

Yeah if you're into the 8th army then 4th edition has been good. The only problem is that they didn't put everything in the book, which means we'll need a second edition of the Desert Rats book which has Shermans, Churchills etc. Bit fucking retarded really, just so they could shill the Grants like fuck.

When it comes to historical games I always collect both sides. They're cheap enough, my mid-war army was £130 for 100 points.

For what it's worth, even if the Brits currently had the Sherman as an option, the Grants are probably a better buy for the points.

dead game

Kek, my face when the second edition totally gimps Grants and makes Shermans amazing after everyone has shelled out for them.

>just so they could shill the Crusaders (that no one would buy otherwise)

Yeah the Grant is pretty well priced, but the Sherman May have a place as the anchor of a force with +1 Armor and +1 AT. All depends on price I guess.

The second book will have the infantry tanks that everyone would have bought in the first go around because fuck spam tier crusaders.

You know this guy is an actor, right? Most of those medals are ebay-bought

Unfamiliar with medals, but i find it curious that the supposedly soviet soldier has a patch with a clearly visible communism era poland coat of arms.

Maybe he was a pole and served after the war?

He's not. His name is Liev Gitzevich, he's a known fake WWII "vet". He was born in 1928.

Maybe he was one of the numerous Poles who fought in the Polish Armed Forces in the East, seeing extensive service in both the WW2 Soviet and post-war Polish Armies

Oh wow, I am about to go down a strange wormhole here

>Yeah the Grant is pretty well priced, but the Sherman May have a place as the anchor of a force with +1 Armor and +1 AT. All depends on price I guess.

I could see a unit of them as the heavy hitters in another list, but I don't see them being fielded as a full company.

I'm at a v4 tournament today. So far I've won, lost, won from 3 games, and have mostly had fun (2nd game would have been fine, but the guy was a terrible winner. Really bad attitude.)

I do definitely miss some v3 rules though. Proper rules for buildings, for example. I wonder - do BF playtest without many buildings on their tables?

>playtest

they do not...last i saw, BF likes light, fun, playtest tables.
they don't playtest stalingrad, they like Italy and Normandy...less pesky buildings, tutt, tutt....

Good luck for the rest of your games.

My guess is there are many things BF didn't consider during their supposed playtesting.

Playtester input is ignored by BF, according to playtesters.

>we want to be the games workshop of 15mm

Anyone know if the Battle of El Alamein: War in the Desert box is a good start or am I better served buying bits individually?

I suppose I might have to make some generic Germans then.

Aww for real?

I guess if there's a second Africa book then there might be cool stuff like Popski's Private Army and the LRDG then?

>Popski's Private Army and the LRDG then?
Probably not...these aren't tanks, and new BF is all about selling plastic tanks. Yes, I exaggerate...a bit. But really, playing those small raiding forces is better with other rules IMO.

UKGT?

>>we want to be the games workshop of 15mm

Yes, but more like the old, pre-Age of Sigmar & 8th Ed 40K GW. BF also does not do any market research which is part of their problem IMO. The last time they did the "big survey" they were shocked to learn most of the players were 30+, not the youngins they had assumed. Similarly, if they knew their playerbase, they could hardly have been surprised by Team Yankee's success.

>Playtester input is ignored by BF, according to playtesters.

Can confirm: I've spoken personally to several top US play testers a few years back about the issue. Most are no longer play-testers since it became largely pointless. When play-test results differ substantially from what BF wants to hear, they simply ignore it.

>a friend of a friend once told me that his other friend heard this from some random guy...

[Citation Fucking Needed]

Believe what you like sweetie.

>UKGT?

Yep. First time I'd been to Battlefield Hobbies, and it's a good location. Not really near anywhere, but pretty equally inconvenient for everyone.

This is Veeky Forums.

I take EVERYTHING with several baseball sized grains of salt.

>Similarly, if they knew their playerbase, they could hardly have been surprised by Team Yankee's success.

This is the truest statement ever posted in this general.

I'll take your comment with a baseball-sized grain of salt...

>more like the old, pre-Age of Sigmar & 8th Ed 40K GW
Well thank god we ducked Age of Sigmar battlefront eh.

They were expecting it to perform on the same level of their other side-games.

And then it was a smash hit success that they were completely unprepared for.

The playerbase (at least in America) are old white dude, many of whom served in the army during the Cold War. Fuel for huge sales for a Cold War gone hot game.

>Battle of El Alamein: War in the Desert box
meh.
you are better off with the national starter box instead.

just FYI, i used the pic primarily because soviets in FoW tend to die a lot.
"this is why we play Soviets"

12 million war dead. i give no fucks how authentic the man is. his dead uncles received no props under the Stalinist regime, only a wave to the performance of the whole army.
"be prepared to take casualties" they said....

Since you are coming from 40K, I’d say just figure out which army you want to play and buy the corresponding starter box. The El Alamein box is only a starter in the sense that it was a sampler platter of the new tank kits for the Brits and Germans. It is literally the smallest scale the game can be played on. 2 German tanks vs 3 British ones.

Is this user still with us? I want to see the final product.

Fucking hell

>Here's my Zvevda build Soviet Army, and here's the lovely house I built out of the boxes.

i forgot when he last posted progress pics, but he did have them.
good times.

LOL

Going to be playing my first V4 game tomorrow, MW Brits (me) vs. Americans. Starter game of 50 pts each since both of us are completely new to the game.

What are some rules I should remember which would otherwise be easy to overlook? Both armies are going to be armor-heavy, though my opponent may be bringing a small rifle company in support if that helps.

Buy the British starter box and another box of Grants and you have a 50 point army done.

My best advice is to have your quick reference for the rules beside you to help step you through the turn sequence. That way you don’t forget to roll for reserves or check last stand, etc. Likewise keep your cards handy. They’ll help you out with the details for all your units.

If you have artillery make sure to put down your preplanned bombardments after deployment. That’s one I often forget.

>12 million war dead
26 million. Unless you mean the military alone, then it's 8 million, including deaths in POW camps.

/PAVN/

Woah, now that's a new level of NVA.

How did day two go? What did you take, etc?

Won both on Day 2, and took 5th overall. I'll post my list when I'm home, but it's the fairly standard King Tiger list: 2 HQ, 2 singles, Panzer Crew, 4 PzIIIs, double Volks, AA and Nebs.

Its because it is the yankeefucking NVA
(North vietnamese army)

Nice! Congrats!

Game 1: vs Mike in Encounter. Italy FJs, with a lot of AT support (Pak40s, Marders, 88s) but only a few fausts. I bombarded the Paks early with my Nebs, avoided the 88s, and punched out the Marders easily. My PzIIIs arrived in time to hold off an assault from an FJ platoon with massed MG fire, but time nearly ran out - eventually I assaulted his scout platoon off the objective using my surviving HQ KT, the other having fallen earlier to a Panzerfaust assault. 6-3 to me.

Game 2: vs Antonio in No Retreat. US Paras, with ample artillery support, and P-47s with rockets. Deep reserves always hurts my list somewhat, and when the air support killed my tanks on Turn 2, things were bad. I also played the table badly, with a large hill between my back edge and the forward objective, meaning my PzIIIs were unable to heroicly save the day. The game ended on turn 4 with only one of his platoons destroyed; an 8-1 win for him.

Game 3 vs Krzysztof in Bridgehead. US Shermans with Hellcats, and... it felt like not that much stuff. Core platoons, TDs plus recce, Chaffees, MMC halftracks. On turn one, the Hellcats shot forward and managed to get some side shots on my HQ KTs, but only bailed them; on my turn they both remounted, and the PzIIIs arrived to slaughter the TDs. After that it was mostly mopping up. A solid 8-1 to me.

Game 4: vs Roddy in Counterattack. Tankovy with SU-100s. My first KT arrived on the first check from the far corner, at which point Roddy got obsessed with trying to get flank shots with his 76mm T-34s. When turn 6 came, most of his army was out of position, and I shot the few tanks near the objective off the position, and won, despite having only killed one of his units (SMG inf). 8-1 to me.

Game 5: vs Mikko in No Retreat. British 51st Inf rifles, with Churchills and Crocs, and Typhoon air support. Just throwing it out there for the RAF - next time, load live rockets, not practice rounds. I won this game because in the course of 6 turns, his aircraft killed one tank. Once again, turn six arrived, and I was able to kill the unit which had hastily been scooted in toward the objective, including with some withering direct fire from my quad AA, making them finally useful. 7-2 to me, with the loss of one KT and a Volkssturm platoon.

All lists are available here: reluctantconscripts.com/Eventsdetails/UK GT 2017 LISTS.html

Locusts best tank. Held this spot and killed everything over a few turns.

King Tigers best tank. Held this spot and killed everything. Everything.