/SSSS /Stand Still Stay Silent General/

It's All A Dream Edition

>What is SSSS?
Stand Still. Stay Silent" is a post apocalyptic webcomic with elements from Nordic mythology, set 90 years in the future. It's mostly a story about friendship and exploring a forgotten world, with some horror, monsters and magic on the side. The comic also updates 4 times a week, on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. This General is for people to come together and discuss the comic, all whilst developing systems for games set in the world, as well as original content.

>Previous Thread
>The Comic
www.sssscomic.com

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/GunmetalStuG/Vikingr/blob/master/Vikingr Core Rulebook Draft 8.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Holy shit, this one's early. Didn't expect to see the next one so soon.

System-user here. Was expecting to see this thread up on Saturday, so the next Vikingr update isn't ready quite yet.

The good news is that it'll have basic Character Advancement, Loot Tables, and a rounded-out (if not complete) Weapons & Equipment section. If I make good time on all that shit, the 'Magic' chapter should be updated as well, meaning that Vikingr will be in its first playable state in a couple days.

Vikingr dev guy, a few questions about the rules:

The core attributes and skills take 1 point per level to raise right? So if I wanted to have a brand new character with 10 fitness, that would be possible, right?

Also some of the Finnish mage spell names are a bit wonky:
"Helvetti" comes from Hel, the Scandinavian god and does not really have anything to do with Finnish Mythology. I was able to find mentions of a spirit of fire called Panu but very little is known.

"Jäälehti" literally means iceleaf, so if that's what you were going for it's fine, but I'm sure we could find a some sort of air spirit to occupy this spot

"Kivi Terä" is perhaps the biggest offender being a very awkward way of saying "Stone Blade" I'll try to find a god or a spirit that corresponds with earth, but so far haven't found anything.

"Vihaisella Raekuurotuksella" means something in the ballpark of "With an angry shower of hail" if you tell me what you were going for I can perhaps mend this.

Also no bear related spells so that desperately needs fixing.

Sorry if I threw everyone's thread schedule off, am not the regular OP, though I don't even know if there is one

I really don't know anything about Finnish mythology, so I apologize for any awkward translations. It was my intention to give the Finnish spells names after their effects rather than the specific spirits they call upon.

It's my understanding that Finnish mythology is animistic, and that a Noita could call on generic spirits around them. Again, I apologize if this is not the case - this is a little outside my wheelhouse.

Regardless, I really appreciate the feedback, and hope to get more as Vikingr evolves.

>Sorry if I threw everyone's thread schedule off, am not the regular OP, though I don't even know if there is one
We decided on a Saturday thing, but am early thread is also pretty acceptable.

I'm liking the Emil and Lalli interactions.

Also /ssss/ is supposed to be on Saturday

Since it's here, I'll just post one of the newest pages. It seems Emil is taking this whole "Dreamscape magic" thing in stride.

Onni is the best. Despite being a coward and awful shit happening to him, he tries.

Yes, finnish pagan faith was animistic. Every environment has its resident spirits, or väki, like forest or a lake. You had to be respectful towards them, disrespect would anger them and cause them create misfortunes for you.

He may try, but he still decided to close himself off from everyone else along with Reynir when his sister died, despite *knowing* that bad shit was happening to them. He can be pretty dickish and vindictive when he wants to be.

It's not Saturday. You're early.

Also you still haven't put Vikingr in the OP.

I'm going to try and finish (heh) the Noita spell list tomorrow. Is there anything I should know about Finnish mythology, or specific ideas you have for spells/spirits/etc.?

Well, spells were usually rhyming incantations where you appealed to the spirits, either asking their help on something or appealing to avoid their anger. They dealt with rather normal issues like asking for a good catch when fishing, good weather or harvest, healing diseases, finding your way back home when lost, but there also were curses.

There were many types of spirits, some good-natured whose job was to tend to their domain, but also more ambivalent ones who would cause trouble just because. Many problems were also caused by spirits being misplaced from their element. For example when you went to water, some water spirits might attach to you and make you ill back on land. This was dealth with by sending them back to their proper place.

Part of maintaining good relations with the spirits were sacrificial gifts. So if you caught a good catch, you'd sacrifice some of the fish you caught to the spirits. Sacrifices would also be left at locales deemed holy, which were unusual or dominant natural features, such as springs, hilltops, groves, trees, rock formations, islands in a lake, and so on.

As how to use this with SSSS, I suppose the spells would mostly deal with appealing to the spirits. Note, for example, that it was believed fire burned stuff because the fire spirits were always angry. Something could be spared from burning by asking them to not direct their anger at it.

And, as the other poster points out, bears. They were considered the most sacred of all forest animals.

Fucking Lalli
>I am unconscious and inside my buddy's dreamscape
>Welp, time to DOUBLE SLEEP

It's fucking Lalli, what did you expect?

what's most fucked is that in this dream the language barrier is finally gone, and he just doesn't give a fuck

I doubt he really WANTS to be vindictive right now. It's been, what, less than 24 hours since the incident? And it's not like he was just told second-hand she's dead, he was (meta-)physically trying and failing to catch up with her as her soul disappears into the horizon. Poor fucker is probably still in shock, no wonder he's being irrational.

He truly is a cat.

If this would shorten his coma then it is desired action.
If his presence can possibly disrupt Emil's dream into nightmare, then going to sleep and trying to become background is desired.

For the future, that system needs some kind of spirit world mechanics like cyberpunk has it's hacking.
With some kind of spell, known to mage of both rites, that can drag non-mages into dreamworld so rest of the party can participate in dreamworld

Finnish mages had something called "Loveenlankeaminen" which was the mage going to a trance like state to visit the underworld for guidance and spells from ancestors and other dead entities. Though you also had to trick the gatekeepers to let you in and out.

The team finds "gramophone" of a Swedish Chef.

Emil: I can't understand what he's saying
Sigrun: I think I like how this guy cooks!
Lalli: [He sounds Swedish]

It should be noted that, in my admittedly limited knowledge, there was no distinct, permanent dreamworld in the finnish mythos. Doubtlessly dreams were seen as having power and prohetic meanings, and I don't see any problem with a mage whisking a group into someone's dreaming, but that would be a transient place. There would be no Sandman-style Dreaming as a thing.

I feel bad for the dude. He was always right. And no one listened until it was too late. I give onni my sympathies. Plus the dude is the most valuable asset the team never had. He's the reason they even survived. TWICE.

Onni is the real MVP. His sister should have listened.

yeah, dreamspace wasn't a thing, but going to the underworld through a trance was a thing.
As far as I remember SSSS's mage dreamworld is an original idea.

VIkingr guy, could you upload the next patch to somewhere so it could be included in the OP?

>spirit world mechanics like cyberpunk has it's hacking

I will probably go more in depth into the Dreamworld in the future, but I need other stuff figured out first. Doing non-physical realm rules properly will be tough, because looking at Shadowrun's Matrix rules makes me explosively vomit blood.

Here's the latest version. It doesn't have all the stuff I've been working on this week, because I want to do a big update tomorrow afternoon.

Where should I upload this so it can be put in the OP? Github?

Don't forget that Reynir directly lied to him about his sister, and Onni had to find out in the worse way. I'd be pretty pissed at the icelandic twink too.

>Don't forget that Reynir directly lied to him about his sister, and Onni had to find out in the worse way.
Only because Tuuri told him to do so. She even comes to regret it by the time she heads off for Tuonela.

Reynir lied before she told him to lie.

So it's reynir fault amigo.

Magic is nice and all, but how are those flamethrowers coming along? Any special skills or abilities for those of us who want to burn shit to make use of?

Don't worry user, soon. Soon.

Github would work

Still going! Keep it rolling

Is this a waifu for ants?

KEK

You dick, she was the best

Vikingr guy, what kind of things were you thinking for the Qualities section?
And what bonuses would you get for not being immune, more points for Cores and Skills?

I miss her bros.

For Qualities, I'm still waffling between whether to make Qualities have both positive and negative aspects and limiting how many can be picked or making separate Positive and Negative Qualities that take up Quality Points, a la Shadowrun.

As for non-immune characters, that's exactly what I was thinking, the only debate is how many extra skill points and Core Attribute points. I was thinking 10 for any non-weapons Skill and 2 attribute points which I think would balance out them being near-useless in combat.

I'll try that if I get my group to play test this tonight.
I think starting with the Shadowrun style would be fine, then if it's too strong couple positives and negatives together.

Sorry if it's already in there, but how does one determine the number of wounds a character can take? Or how many wounds does for example a pistol shot do?

Wounds are based on Fitness. Every character starts with 3, then increases by one per level of Fitness until they reach 8 at Fitness level 5, at which point it plateaus. Adding more Fitness points will still be beneficial, since it'll increase your melee capability and Defense rolls, but it won't add any more wounds. I might adjust this later, but I think this will work for now - humans in the SSSS universe are pretty squishy, and shouldn't be able to tank the kind of damage PCs do in other games.

Wound calculation right now is pretty simple, it's just a rolled attack vs. a rolled defense. Every 'hit' for the defense subtracts one 'hit' from the attack. If there are more attacking hits, that many wounds are applied to the target (unless it's wearing armor). If there are more defense hits, the attack fails.

Also, by what time tonight (EST) will you need the updated version? I'm pretty behind on what I wanted to have done, so I might post it later.

A bit unsure about if we are playing today, but in 2-4 hours probably.
I don't think we Need the updated version, so just take your time. If not tonight, I'll probably get the for sure together for next weekend.

>come together and discuss the comic

Huh, sounds like you're on the wrong board mr. viral marketer-san. Consult the sages and they shall tell you the right board. I know, I just did.

Also I see that the accuracy scores for the weapons are missing. Do you have some general scores in mind like 1 for pistols, 1 for assault rifles and 1 for marksman rifles?

Probably won't get an update out in time, sorry. Introduce them to the lore or maybe just have them do character concepts for tonight.

I do, some of them will be in the next update. Basically, pistols and submachine guns have lower scores (mostly 1s), assault rifles and battle rifles have medium scores (2-4), while Marksman rifles have much higher accuracy. It should be noted that accuracy is only added when actually taking your time with your shots (using both actions).

"This is my Finn. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

In hindsight, where the cracks in the picture a spoiler of things to come?

She'll be back. Onni and Reynir will double team that swan bitch. Dark souls style.

The cracks spiral down to right over her shoulder (where she was bitten), so it was probably heavy foreshadowing.

>Doing research on what kind of firearms to include in Vikingr
>Iceland currently has 212 in their entire Coast Guard
>Only 92 are in active use

It's a fucking miracle their quarantine worked, otherwise they would have been up shit fjord without a longboat.

Probably got NATO aid

Alright everyone, sorry it took so long. Didn't get nearly as much as I wanted done, but at least it's all starting to look a bit more fleshed out. Really need to focus on getting CharGen up and running.

Changelog:

Character Advancement Guidelines
MORE WEAPONS
MORE /k/ SHIT. GET TACTICOOL

Turns out that the Core Rulebook is now officially too large for Veeky Forums, so expect a GitHub link in the near future. For now, have the update GM Handbook.

>gay shit
>not Lalli and Emil

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Calm thyself. Here, have some more Lalli.

And here's the updated version of Vikingr. No idea if I'm doing GitHub right, this shit is totally new to me.

github.com/GunmetalStuG/Vikingr/blob/master/Vikingr Core Rulebook Draft 8.pdf

THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT

I'm liking the progress you've made with the guns and combat. If you want more inspiration for the tactical side of things, I'd suggest reading GURPS Tactical Shooting.

There are a few inaccuracies in the gun section. The AK section should list them using either 7.62x39mm (which you correctly mentioned in the SKS and RPK sections), or the smaller 5.45x39mm (used by the AK-74 and its derivatives).

Also, it should be Barrett M82, not Barret M52.

Pic related, shows 7.62x51 NATO, 5.56x45 NATO, 5.45x39 AK, and 7.62x39 AK.

I want based reynir to bring a bee from the Finnish gods to her ashes so they can fix her. I want him to take her back to his farm and fuck her silly. Then they can raise cute Fenno-Icelandic babies on his farm after his family dies to 'it'.

>I want him to take her back to his farm and fuck her silly. Then they can raise cute Fenno-Icelandic babies on his farm after his family dies to 'it'.
No stop user, what are you doing. HNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG.

Fuck, why'd you have to make me realize how cute this is after it's too late?

I'm not sure how wise it would be to kill the swan of afterlife. Especially since if you kill it, you die too

Thanks for the feedback! I'll make sure to fix it up in the next version. Really hoping to have CharGen up and running first though.

I imagine the Danes would have started off with only NATO gear.

Long term it makes sense for weapons descended from the AK-47 to become more of a standard. The 7.62x39 seems like it would be an ideal round for fighting these things.

Glad you're liking the updates! I really wanted to splurge on the Weapon Attachment section, but I feel like too much would be getting too far from the spirit of the comic.

>reynir and tuuri lying in bed after a good fuck
>she giggles into his chest and he kisses her on the top of her head
>"what happens next to us Rey Rey?"
>"we settle down and have a good life. But first, let us have rest a while shall we? We've been through a lot and I think we deserve to lay here a while longer and enjoy each others company."
>"That we do reynir. That we do."
>they both cuddle in a bed before falling asleep
This is how this comic needs to end.

>not Sigrun and Mikkel

>Implying that they can't also fuck like rabbits

Vikingr guy, what does CQCF mean in the weapons section? I assume it's something along the lines of "Close Quarters..." but I am making a simple character sheet for my players and I'd maybe like to put an asterisk next to that

I can't remember if I made all the correct changes, my bad. 'CQCF' is an acronym for "Close Quarters Combat Firearms". It used to just be "Pistols", but I thought that submachine gun skills really shouldn't be under the 'Rifles' skill, so I expanded it a bit. Sorry for the confusion!

No problem man, loving it so far.
Do you have any estimates how much ammo a person should receive per let's say 2 days of an expedition? I'm thinking of quick expeditions to get the players on their feet since the combat and skill system will be new to them, but I'm having trouble estimating ammo numbers.

Also let's say I had a fitness of 0 and a melee skill of 0 ,could I then not use any melee weapons, since I wouldn't have any dice at all?

>ammo estimates

I think I mentioned in the Game Master's Handbook that vikingr really shouldn't plan to kill everything they meet - monsters are way too tanky, and ammo takes up way too much space. If you're just running some test Expeditions, give them 3-4 boxes of 7.62x39mm per run. 400 rounds should be more than enough. I'm developing rules for how shooting works, but a stopgap measure will be fine for now.

>0 dice rolls

Yeah, I honestly don't have a fix for this at the moment. I don't want characters to be completely helpless, because even the most helpless viking can figure out how a knife works. I'm open to suggestions.

There could be a minimum dice pool of 1, so everything after that still increased your dice pool.

>vikingr really shouldn't plan to kill everything they meet
If it's a small expedition, I'd suggest shooting to kill any small ones that could give chase and aiming to disable big ones long enough to run the hell away.

If they're already past the point of stabbing it.

I was thinking that, but that makes investing Experience into making a Core Attribute from 0 -> 1 feel kinda pointless, since you don't get any bonus dice. For now, it might be the best option, unless I can think of something better.

There are other systems where investing in attributes doesn't immediately make your character stronger, if I recall correctly in DnD 5e, the bonus only comes every other Core Attribute number, so 10-11 are functionally the same. It's just that further investing is now possible

I might also start all characters with 1s in all Core Attributes, then decrease available starting Attibute points (10) by 1.

D&D's attributes are fine and all, but I'd like to divorce myself from the system more.

That seems like a fine fix.

Also do all wounds count together for the max wounds thing. So if I had a max wounds of 6, it could 1 stunning, 2 mental and 3 Physical. Does recovery take an x amount of time for every wound or just the max amount of time and the wounds heal simultaneously

All wounds heal separately, which means that the total healing time for 1 Stunning, 2 Mental, and 3 Physical Wounds would be additive. They heal in order of increasing severity, meaning that Stunning Wounds heal first, followed by Mental Wounds, then Physical Wounds.

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll make sure to put this all in the next version.

Np , am currently filling out a sheet to see if I'm missing anything, will post it later and a filled version for critique

Awesome! Once I finish Vikingr 1.0, I'll revise my current character sheet, which is totally out of date.

Would like to see what other people come up with.