EDH/Commander General

Poopy edition

Previously: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Have you purposefully avoided building a deck, and for what reason?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/surrak-bearclaw-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-08-17-bug-self-mill/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-10-17-ghoulcaller-gisa/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/saskias-big-balls/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Have you purposefully avoided building a deck, and for what reason?
Literally any commander that was released within the past year. Why? Because everyone else in the entire universe will be building anyone halfway interesting and will run them into the ground, ruining my enjoyment of the commander. After a year, most "flavor of the week" players have moved on, leaving only the truly dedicated players. This opens up a place for me to finally experiment with the ones I found interesting, without being accused of bandwagoning.

No one teaches you how to make a thread dude. But thank you for doing it.

>Thread Question
I've avoided several decks I've wanted because they were either exspensive, Too reliant on comander, or some combo of both.

>Help Question
Does anyone run BUG Sidisi and would be willing to post a decklist/tech. I need tech to generate value off milling my shit incase Sidisi herself is removed and need Creatures w/ Abilities that function like Counterspells/Removal/ramp/general toolbox so I can up creature count/lower non-creature count. Will post list tomorrow.

Oh big time. I kept telling myself I'd build Alesha once I opened a foil one in a draft, and I didn't actually do it for 2 years. I actually traded her away to a friend for some jank at one point, then traded back earlier this year and built the deck.

I have a couple others that I keep putting off too, but not for nearly as long.

>No one teaches you how to make a thread dude
?

Atraxa. I've always had a thing for Bant, Abzan, and counter shenanigans. But then by the time I was able to put her together, everybody had already brewed every variation from infect to superfriends to energy. And also every table had decided that she was degenerate and deserved to be hated out of every game.

I've recently been considering an Atraxa "Shit Counters" deck, where I use all sorts of esoteric polyp counters and whatnot. The popularity of Atraxa and the issues that come with 4 colours kinda makes me not want to though.

Hapatra, because I already have a B/G deck that I refuse to take apart, and, while I know they won't play the same, it still feels the same to me

>tfw I'm the only player I know with a commander that's pre-modern.

I feel so alone.

I play two Invasion dragons, one person in my playgroup plays Sisay, and someone else plays Karn.

Anyone having issues with tappedout today? It's been sluggish as hell.

Aside from that, any spicy tech ideas for Gruul elves? I haven't been feeling my Edgar deck and I'm going to be putting the black and white goodstuff into a Zur the Enchanter, while I feel there's some fun red like Disrupt Decorum and Kindred Charge which make me want to stick it in with my old '14 green precon stuff to make angry, savage elves. I figure the usual elfball/finisher stuff but with some impact tremors, goblin bombardment, fervor. Maybe some X damage spells so all my little dudes can tap for a lot of mana?

Oh good, it's not just me. Yeah, Tappedout is being slow as a dead sloth in molasses.

I need to make a few cuts. Any suggestions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/surrak-bearclaw-1/

yep, there's problems with the site right now. Most of my decklists are broken, images wont load and other web site problems.

Hapatra creates tokens on a per-creature basis, right? So if you -1/-1 your snakes you create new snakes?

Yes. Blowfly Infestation.

>infinitely kill and recreate snakes allowing you to infinitely trigger effects involving death and -1/-1 counters
yoooo

Atraxa because I don't want to do infect or superfriends and I already have newzuri for creature counters, Chainer because I don't have urborg or cabal coffers and am too much of a cheap ass to get them. And I hated the 2017 decks

I play Crosis, the Purger, with a pack foil. You aren't alone, friend.

What blue deck should I build? I've narrowed it down to Kami of the Crescent Moon, Talrand, or Thassa merfolk tribal.

I like Kami. He's fun and usually flies under the radar.

Thassa SEA MONSTER Tribal
You may use Merfolk to round out your curve if you so choose.

Is your playgroup big enough that you run the risk of bumping elbows with other people playing the same commander? If it's just "people" out in the abstract, you shouldn't be so hung up on it,

>not going full Vorthos with Geist of Saint Traft at the helm

It is. My playgroup is about 30 people, about 12-15 of which bandwagon pretty hard. For example, we have 4 Edgar Markov players right now. None of them had vamps before C17 was released nor had they shown any interest.

With one exception, I feel ya.
I just couldn't help myself with Gishath, though.

i assume they are running maintenance or something. it's a total loss atm.

surprised this link even works. this deck is hilarious

>harrow
not worth the small synnergy
>lignify
there are better options imo
>fires of yavimaya
eh
>elemental bond
you have a lot of 2/2 creatures to be running this...you can just play rhystic study?
>shamanic revelation
>harmonize
again not sure why you would run green card draw in a deck with blue
>dragon throne
>mirage mirror
eh
>overwhelming stampede
>overrun
drop these for 1 craterhoof?
>evolutionary escalation
neat but constricting

with a green base and plenty of ramp spells you can go down a land or two

I started building a Mardu Ad Nauseam deck and the only card being counted for price right now is Oros. I fucking actually thought for a second that Academy Rector, AN, Kaervek's Spite and Phyrexian Unlife were 41 cents all together.

Been thinking about brewing Vela. Has /edhg/ seen her be more successful based off usage of intimidate, flicker drain, or some kinda mixture of both?

her main usage is ninja tribal. Some say that there are better ninja commanders though

The guy who made the general was complaining in the old thread that he's the only one who makes the general thread.

Pure flicker/ltb based, never combat. I've seen people try "rogue/assassin/ninja" tribal decks use her but they are always fairly weak and low powered, but fun.

Vela often wins through token generation. Stuff like Abhorrent Overlord generating a shitload of tokens and then sacrificing all of it with a Blood Artist in play.

The strongest Vela decks focus on infinitely casting/bouncing a creature over and over, like Palinchron.

lol that was me

I made this thread too

I've seen a lot of that in decklists and whatnot and while it sounds fun
all that seems to be more the style I tend to play. I appreciate the insight, though.

Whaddya mean successful? Spikey-ness? Flicker is better for that. Fun? I reccomend ninja-tribal.

Guess that was kinda vague of me, my bad lol. Shoulda asked for a split between what tends to be more fun and what's more Spike-y.

>human wizard

Like FUCK that's human. God I wish they had never added "human" as a type, she'd work so much better as just "wizard."

You worried about Zombie Apocalypse? The subtype is gonna help more than hurt 98% of the time.

Angel of sanctions vs angel of condemnation. Which is better in derevi?

how many one drops are good for consistency?

Angel of Condemnation, seems to me having a tap effect in Derevi would be more useful than an ETB effect.

What about outside of derevi? How would you compare the two in a vacuum?

All of them

Play Sidisi

Probably still Condemnation. More useful in general, same size for better cost and with vigilance. If you're set up to populate tokens or clone I might go with Sanctions.

>Tappedout is broken
How the FUCK do I goldfish my shitty theorycrafted decks now

How do I get over feeling unoriginal for simply playing the commanders I want, even though they're completely spoon fed?

I'd run Sisay if it wasn't comically expensive.

There's such a thing as too much flavor, sometimes it's nice to just have a scry engine and combat enabler

Unesh or Feldon?

i meant the amount of cards to draw one on turn one

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-08-17-bug-self-mill/

Here's my Sidisi list, it's got some goofy stuff in it cause I love dumb cards like Mortal Combat. Quick and easy path to upgrade from this is getting the better Entomb effect and reanimation cards. Spells with flashback and creatures that care about being in the graveyard are your best friends.

Thanks, gonna pick up a few cards and wondering if i should grab sanctions as well when im already happy with condemnation

do tokens count? they technically hit the graveyard before ceasing to exist right?

ye

>snek lady grave storm

i might have to make this happen

Has anyone here tried Shirei Apostles? Is it any fun? I feel like games would end up feeling very samey given your main objective is to tutor the same value demons every game.

Mail call!

>dat Seal

If only. I might just go full Chinaman next time I order.

Someone really likes their gitfrog deck lmao

>vampiric tutor for rich(er) people

for some reason i thought it put it in your hand making it better then VT. Nevermind now, thats a retarded price for sorcery speed VT.

Portal was meant to be a simpler, introductory set, so it had only creatures and sorceries. None of the cards were tournament legal at the time, which was a contributing factor to it being regarded as a near complete failure.

Anyone have any experience with pic related? Any spicy tech for him short of Sundial of the Infinite?

Dead-Eye Navigator
If you exile/Blink/Flicker an unearthed creature, you get to keep it afterwards

never built Azami wizard tribal cause my green player friend says i play too much blue.
I switched to black.

Oh yeah, I knew about that too. Is it worth putting more flicker effects in than Deadeye or is he enough?

Conjurer's Closet, Voidwalk and Nephalia Smuggler works as 1-per-turn blink.
Endless Sands, pic related and Helvault are creature-storages you could consider.

Graf Rats+Midnight Scavengers is fun and Flameshadow's Conjuring is very spicy

I play a starke of rath chaos list that my group loves. Only won a few games with it but everyone has a good time so I don't worry

>Remove it from the game at end of turn or if it would leave play

Google "unearth + flicker", then come back to me

Saskia. Always procrastinated on building her and now I have to cut like six cards and shits too hard

ty based cat daddy

Here's the thing. The secondary exile clause is a replacement effect, you see. It's not an additional triggered ability or anything, it just tries to insert itself into any event that falls under the banner of "leaving the battlefield". So, you see Conjurer's Closet saying "Exile this creature, then return it to the battlefield". and the replacement effect would change it to "Exile this creature, then return it to the battlefield". You might be surprised to realize just how little that subtle change matters.

You stop caring about what people on Veeky Forums say about your decks

Teferi's Veil
Mirror-mad phantasm

>pissed somebody off in my playgroup because I had a boardstate he couldnt beat
>took all the fun out of winning or even playing
>he does this every time he loses
the fuck do I do, talking doesnt work and making new decks doesnt work.

Is the problem that has a bad deck, he's a bad player, or he's just a whiny little bitch? Helping with a deck is easiest, teaching people to play better is doable although a bit harder, but being a whiny little bitch is all but terminal.

Hes been playing longer than me by several years and he used to be a judge. Usually he either gets mad about reiterate or new cards, which is any card printed after 2010

Elemental Bond + Any anthem + Words of Wilding + Ashnod's Altar is infinite bears.

How does one Chinaman these days?

it reminds me of a person who whine and bitch everytime he get's focused when he plays his Narset "when it attacks, 85% of the times wins the match"

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-10-17-ghoulcaller-gisa/

Man, what would I cut for an extra land and the Erebos on the maybe-board?

Yeah, there's a guy exactly like this in my LGS

He will whine and cry like crazy every fucking time you target him for anything.
Then after you kill him he will go "I would have won next turn if you didn't kill me!"
Well maybe that's why we were fucking targeting you, idiot.

that is a 4 card combo. and it doesn't get you infinite bears, it only gets you as many as you have cards in your deck.

why not just run skullclamp + words of wilding + ashnods altar? you clamp, you sac, you draw TWO, you pay 2, you repeat. that gets you infinite mana if you want it, a shit ton of bears, or actual card advantage. it doesn't require an anthem and skullclamp is actually a good card outside of the full combo.

Don't have any pics cause I got home late but what I got

>Krark-Clan Ironworks
>Artifact Mutation
>Harmonize
>Hordeling Outburst
>Pyromancer's Goggles
>Primal Command
>Hull Breach
>Temple of Abandon
>Parallel Lives
>Crucible of Worlds
>Temple of the False God
>Paradox Engine

my friend dack showed up yesterday.

Respect for the Gruul stuff.

What should I build next between Ghave and Marath? I have Inalla right now who's pretty much full combo + some wizardball.

Not a fan of either. They end up being very samey. Of the two, I’d pick Marath as Naya is a little less good stuffy even if Marath himself is more.

I play Kamahl, fist of Krosa.

Have you rejected the sins of the LGS today?

Not enough gold legends in old timey magic that don’t suck and are budget.

>never played in LGS for anything beyond prereleases

Was I chad the entire time?

I feel like this deck is short on beatdown creatures, help

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/saskias-big-balls/

As an LGS Virgin I can confirm
>store full of obese SJW women

Doesn't cost money to play at an LGS though.

Dowsing or spine? Just gave it a once over

i just realized that words of wilding is a replacement effect. so yes you do get infinite bears. my method is still better tho.

Only for EDH. I still have to go because none of them play Legacy and my store has a surprisingly vibrant Legacy scene

>Naya is a little less good stuffy even if Marath himself is more
I disagree when it comes to Marath, there's so much more goodstuff that is enabled by having a sac outlet in the command zone than there is goodstuff that's enabled by the ability to ping.