Warhammer 40k general /40kg/

Celestine edition.

Previous >Warhammer Community news(Necromunda News from Spiel: Release Date, Gang War and More)
warhammer-community.com/2017/10/26/necromunda-news-from-spiel-release-date-gang-war-and-more-oct26gw-homepage-post-1/

>Daily Duncan Playlist
youtube.com/watch?v=D1ZNeqYRaS4&index=1&list=PLEaPE4sLDA7ucJ0dkiVZSW6ghZUNGFHIW

>GW FAQ (1.1):
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata#40k-errata

>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in properly converted pdf & epub, fully bookmarked and linked with in-line errata annotations
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
>Old Black Library Mega
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Thanks Chart-user!)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Leak that codex you lazy fucks!

i have a chimera that everyone tells me to put in the trash

should i make it into a hellhound or devil dog?
the devil dog is assault now, so is it worth taking?

Why a new thread at 300~

That's a bit early eh

Fires of Cyraxus better let Mechanicus players take Forge World Mechanicum models I swear to god

My Mechanicum army is now sitting on my shelf collecting dust because no one wants to play with last edition's rules and the Horus Heresy group around here has gone into hibernation until Angelus or next spring, whichever comes first.

Just purchased the CSM and DG Codexes for the ownership and sniffs (I already know that you can download them here)

Any tips for a beginner? How are each CSM chapters?

Admech are top tier tho you silly goose. Take Neutron crabs and Dakka Kastelans with Cawl. Win everything.

>Celestine edition

The Ecclesiarchy approves.

It's less so about army viability and more so about how I love my HH Mechanicum to bits and put lots of effort into them and want to use them with 40K pals.

Also because I want to know the joys of vomiting plasma shots into people's squads with plasma ejectors once more before my Thanatar explodes from failing enough Gets Hot! rolls to kill itself in one shooting phase.

You could try and do a homebrew for them if your friends are okay with it?

The images FW has shown off for FoC have had Thanatars in them so there will probably be at least some of the HH stuff coming to 40k.

so, what do I do with Magnus?

Is he just a distraction carnifex, am I supposed to cram him solo into combat? or should I be running around circle strafing with mind bullets? Should I use him as a support platform since he's the only source of combat rerolls in Thousand Sons?

Who wouldn't schlick for those cheekbones?

The Legion rules are super neat, though some are better than others, namely the "Dark Raiders" one letting you advance AND charge in the same turn.

Speaking of that is it possible to Deep Strike, run, and then charge with units with the Dark Raiders doctrine? Or with Deep Striking does it still count as your movement?

deepstriking is still considered movement.

In 7th

True, but-

YES
I LOVE MY THANATARS

Though my Thanatar Cynis and Arlatax are custom models, so I have the feeling that they won't get rules with the trend of how models without rules aren't being supported. Here's hoping at least all the models that exist will get some love. I'd love to bring my Vultarax and Castellax to play.

Is Eldar OP yet or do we have to wait for Chapter Approved?

You deepstrike at the end of your move, advancing is part of movement now so you can’t.

There are plenty of OP Eldar lists already. Tho they're all Ynnari. If you want pure OP craftworld, you have to wait.

Thanatars and Thallax are two that I'm pretty sure are confirmed, as well as Secutarii and Ordinatus. The focus for AdMech seems to mostly be on bringing 30k stuff to 40k so the sky is the limit.

Also someone on normiebook apparently emailed FW about Secutarii and Ordinatus and FW replied saying FoC isn't done yet but since Secutarii and Ordinatus had rules for 40k in 7th they're trying to release the rules for them early.

The game is kind of bland now

Everything feels pretty samey

in 8th

How to use Mortarion?

Put on field

move towards whatever you want to kill

good. special snowflakey shit is what was fucking up 40k for a long time.

This is such great news! Thanks user, I'm looking forward to it even more.

Oh and Ursurax too. So yea, seems like quite a bit will be coming to 40k.

Why do primaris characters have no options?

Does kitbashing not exist anymore?

how do I deal with guard/hordes as EC?

shoot twice

Wouldn't I need a huge unit to spend the 2CP on?

List so far

We need a leak of Fulgrim/ The lion, really fucking badly

I dont give a flying fuck about necromunda

Its just another fucking thing to bog down the release schedule and push back things I actually want

I didn't play in 7th, how was it different?

I know that there was vehicle armour and things like formations which gave big bonuses for playing a specific way.

I know the gist of it, but how did that all mesh together? What was the overall game like?

If you're gonna be fighting Imperials get Icons of Excess, if not do the double shot stratagem with Noise Marines.
Maybe a Hellforged Scorpius or Chaos Knight Titan?

7th was a massive clusterfuck where a few armies were overpowered if they used a certain cookie cutter list, and the rest of the armies were utter shit unless they had something overpowered too. And they usually didn't. Admech had a formation that gave free wargear. All of it.

And that only wasn't even top tier.

I dont have any big fancy models like that lol

Cultists.

Convert a loyalist whirlwind, or buy a chinaforge knight

is it better for me to make an IG detatchment and a seperate tempestus detetchment?
or should i go with a single large detatchment for more CP?
i have more scions if thats a consideration

Imo the Scions do better in their own detachment so they can get their doctrine.

Always separate Scions. Their Doctrine is worth it.

You're Guard, so you can easily fill out a Brigade, and then run a separate Scion force(probably a Battalion)

Here's a question:

Did Miriel Sabathiel (stupid name btw) really "plan" on joining chaos from day one? or is that just the Ecclesiarchy dismissing the possibility that their soldiers can just willingly get-up and decide to go chaos.?

If it's the latter then how many times is this happening when the imperium just says: "They were born evil." instead of admitting they have a problem,

Is anyone actually going around studying reasons for desertion?

So what do you think about 3 deimos predators each with heavy flamers and infernus cannon rolling together with killshot

So apparantly negative modifiers happen after rerolls, so if I have a space marine firing at a unit that is -1 to hit, and he rerolls misses, then a roll of a 3 would count as hitting, therefore I couldnt reroll, but then it would miss because of the -1?

Is that right?

Who the fuck thought this was a good way to do things

alright, my normal guys are probably going to be tallarn since i want them to move around a lot, and i like tanks

im just starting out, so i can only go with 2 vanguards or a battalion for now

It's a balancing thing, so re-rolls don't get out of hand.

In what way? big blob of melee with an apostle?

The other option is for modifiers to happen before re-rolls, in which case

>Have squad of Marines next to Captain
>Captain lets you re-roll 1s
>Shoot at Raven Guard from more than 12" away
>Raven Guard give -1 to to hit rolls at that distance
>Roll a bunch of 2s, which would normally miss
>-1 makes them into 1s
>Reroll because Captain
>Get a shitload of hits

If you're the Raven Guard player, wouldn't that piss you off?

Admitting they have a problem means they have to come up with a solution and that's a lot of hard work, it's better and easier to just say they were evil all along for PR purposes.

Well considering she was in like one short story, we can only guess.

My assumption is that she was exposed to the teachings of chaos somehow Maybe she was part of a group that studied chaos to find its weakness like that order in the Daemonfuge graphic novel

After that she liked the whole Slannesh thing and decided she wanted to get involved with that and ditched the order.

I actually like her character and am in the process of kitbashing a model of her just for fun

That sounds rad, but unfortunately they don't have the right keywords. I'd love to do it with a Hellforged Predator, but alas.

Well, what do you imagine the captain does in the "fluff"?

Does he

A) Make the bullets that would normally miss curve into their targets sometimes?

B) Make the marines aim better

The only keyword they need is "predator" and they've got it.

how about instead of -1 to hit, its -1 to attackers bs characteristic

That would clear things up

I don't think fluff is really important here. The designers wanted the captain to make you shoot(and stab, since it works in melee) better by a bit, and these are the two ways of doing it. Which do you think is more intuitive? Apply modifiers after rerolls or before?

Either, as long as it's stated.

I think it's currently inconsistent because 1 auto misses, but doesn't auto gets hot, while a 6 isn't an auto hit.

Rerolling misses should reroll all misses, modifiers or no.

Rerolling 1s should only reroll natural 1s. Overheating on 1s should happen only on natural 1s.

I like how this guy thinks

You could solve that issue by specifying re-roll 1s as only natural 1s.

It's very clearly stated that rerolls happen before modification. the situation presented cannot happen.

Rerolls before modifiers retard.

Rolling a natural 6 and missing can absolutely happen.

He's presenting a hypothetical you idiot.

Yeah, the situation was presented as "this is the other possibility", not "this is what we have now"

lrn2comprehension

>studying reasons for desertion?
Sounds like heresy.

It's an example of what would happen if rerolls were after modifiers, you fucking mongoloid. Learn context.

I wonder if any subfaction will ever get an inversion of the whole '-1 to be hit beyond 12' and get '-1 to be hit within 12' or '-1 to be hit in melee'.

If Tyranids get this it will be insane.

No, then it does nothing to penalize special rules that cause things to proc on a 6+ to hit.

Isn't that a nurgle psychic power

It'd be especially scary if it was "-1 to hit within one inch" so it applied to point blank pistol shots too

oh no, not those scary bolt pistols you might shoot once per game if you're lucky

When was the last time you saw a unit survive to melee on its next turn without either having killed the opponent when it charged, was killed by the opponent's charge, or had one party fall back

I'd be fine with that, having your special rules not work sucks ass.

That's the fucking point of a penalty. It's intentional. All of the modifier/re-roll mechanics are completely intentional.

It shouldn't, Tau has already proven that a "nuh uh you can't" army is the fastest way to be universally hated.

If I wanted to play permission I'd go over to the MTGfatties.

I'm trying to make an army of CSM/Daemons and am curious about casting powers / auras.

Do auras/powers that effect X daemons work on X marked daemonic CSM units?

Aura abilities specify who they work on and what keywords are required. Do the target units have the correct keyword? If so, then yes the ability works on them. No? Then they don't.

It's a penalty that effects some far more than others.

Yes, it's a good thing rerolling hasn't gotten out of hand with Gulliman being in every Imperial list. Boy am I happy that rerolling is being kept under control and not being abused across the board to alpha strike half your opponent's army off the table.

Ok so hysterical frenzy targets a slaanesh daemon, and an EC mutilator has the Daemon keyword, and becomes slaanesh, so it is a valid target for it.

This is what I thought before, just wanted to be sure.

Yep, that's correct.

Neat.

I'd like to get a slaaneshi psyker into my EC army for that ability, is it best to just leave some empty points to summon it, or try to actually make a detachment for the CPs?

They do have options, just bot as many. Part of the deal was to streamline unit options, both in fluff and crunch. Hell an in universe character (Captain Felix) even laments this fact in Dark Imperium

Damn that Primarch and his 'Reliable Supply Lines' and 'Replacement Parts' ideas!

Rules question for the group. My sisters versus enemy nids. Celestine and her Geminae retinue get overwhelmed by hormagaunts, which completely surround them, and are in base to base contact with every model. Celestine is the first to die. I move to deep strike her out of that shithole. My friend says no, I can't do that.

I thought it was impossible to place her back into it, because she can't be placed within 1 inch of enemy models. But looking now, the rule doesn't say that. But surely there's a general rule against placing your dudes within 1 inch of enemy models.

If you don't have access to transports, and you have to footslog toward shooty armies, what are the best way to keep your good units from going splat?

Wrapping stuff in cultists works against melee and for characters, but doesn't seem to do much for expensive posessed or daemonettes.

what's the latest news on this?

Did GW break the mold of it or something, or are they going to drop it first in a DG Start Collecting box?

It depends if you've got any other daemons you want to take. If not a Herald on Steed is only 4PL so you can summon reliably. If you've got a character that's no going to be moving much there's not much risk in summoning it (probably just roll 2d6 to reduce risk of mortals).

If you want a unit of daemonettes you could run a patrol. If you want heralds for +1S to daemons you could take a supreme command pretty cheaply. Otherwise you're moving into mixed army territory rather than EC+friends.

If her friends are still alive she respawns within 2" of them so it reads like she has to stay where she is to maintain squad integrity. If Ellie and Genie were dead, you'd be allowed to put her anywhere.

40k Blood Bowl when?

so as long as her friends are still alive, you can place her within 1 inch of enemy models?

>set up Celestine's model within 2" of a Geminae Superia. If this is impossible, place Celestine anywhere on the battlefield more than 9" of enemy models.
If she could fit in the mess of Hormagaunts, she rezzes there. If not, she rezzes anywhere using normal Deep Strike rules.

No news.
#ASKGW

That's the impression I get from reading her rules. If you couldn't place her near an enemy I think they'd say that. Sucks but I think she and her buddies have to stick together as long as they're alive.