System for Low Fantasy Campaign

What would be a good system for running a human only or a typical fantasy races/monsters campaign with little to no magic? Something like, Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.

Barbarians of Lemuria could work, if you're into Conan-style swords & sorcery. It'd be easy enough to skimp on the magic by tossing out a couple of the careers (like the magician), or at least limiting access to them. Unlike D&D, where removing casters dramatically fucks with the game, it really shouldn't be an issue in BoL.

Burning wheel for something like Game of Thrones.

Harnmaster, if you don't mind amputation rolls.It uses a handful of charts though, so if you're allergic to that, it's not for you. It's nowhere near Rolemaster-levels though.
Other than that, WFRP 1E/2E.

Song of Swords soon, my friend

GURPS with Low-Tech, Martial Arts, Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic and possibly some cherry-picked stuff from the Dungeon Fantasy line like streamlined play rules/guidelines, monsters, treasure/artifacts, and wilderness exploration.

If you wanted to get 'really' into it, you could also use Lord of the Manor/City Stats/Social Engineering/Boardroom and Curia/Mass Combat to get the most out of the GoT side of things like raising armies, expanding and maintaining your keep, politics and conniving/social maneuvering, raising armies and laying siege to cities, etc.

If you don't like GURPS you could try Burning Wheel for LotR (also crunchy but more narrative), ACKS for GoT (light OSR), or Fate (for either in a more narrative rules-medium flavor). Riddle of Steel, Song of Swords or the like would also do well for the GoT-alike.

Fantasy Craft (if you're a D20-head) or Legend or Mythras would also be pretty decent choices for either.

Isn't it terribly complex for newcomers though? There's been a general on Veeky Forums since forever but can you give a summary of the mechanics, classes and gameplay?

GURPS is the correct answer.

Gurps.
Also works for high fantasy too.

>Classes
None

>Mechanics
Have a dicepool that renews every round, allocate dice from it to attack and defence maneuvers (like The Riddle of Steel).

>Gameplay
Very deadly combat. Also groinstabbing.

What happened to SoS general, by the way? I can't even remember when I've last seen it.

exalted
use mortals

Can someone explain why LotR/GoT are referenced as 'little to no magic'?
I always thought of that genre (little to no magic) being where magic was so rare/strange that people wouldn't believe you if you said you saw some fantastical beast or wizard. But in GoT/LotR they just seem to accept that shit readily and acknowledge/plan around the existence of it. I feel like magic being usable by only a small population is a far cry from there being little to no magic in a setting.

That all being said, to the OP:
Honestly [insert your favorite system here] and just ban magic classes/abilities/whatevers from players, and make NPCs with them as (un)common as you want.

Blade of the Iron Throne

Try RuneQuest/Myhtras, you can easily ignore the magic.

OP here, my point was that magic might be real but PCs most likely would not be able to access it

Mythras

no updates, nothing new to say, drawfag killed himself, no new fechts. The usual

gurps

Zweihander

sell me on it, user

Because they are all aware of gods and shit, but very, very few can use any magic.
One of the great elfs who has a ring of power can barely make a river change course.

Barbarians of Lemuria is excellent. One of the best fantasy systems out there and entirely focused toward low fantasy. It does, for some strange reason, also have airships, but you can just not use those.

If you like rules, and I mean like the pimp my ride level of liking something, where you want rules inside your other rules, you can try Burning Wheel. Does what you're talking about and it's an interesting game, but it has a lot of bookkeeping, and probably the most overwritten combat system I've ever seen in my life.

That's not true. 2.0 came out some time during summer, the Ishkaldin were revealed, and just this week Thaumaturgy and a slightly reworked Orredin made their debut.

The real reason is that most of the discussion is on the Discord, the OP always says 1.9.9 is the latest version erroneously, and I don't think the Mega has been kept to date.

FFG is releasing Genesys soon, which is most likely going to be a huge overall conversion of EotE into any setting you might like, including low fantasy (just ignore the magic rules like people ignore the force rules in star wars). It's supposed to be coming in the 4th quarter, and here we are in the 4th quarter still waiting. So... soon. Hopefully.

Or just find a conversion of EotE out there that someone else has already done. Really it's one of the better systems for keeping things low key (but you have the options to go crazy if you allow it).

Both of those are high fantasy though.

Lord of the rings has a supplement for 5e which replaces all the classes with it's own and all the monsters. It has no magic, but due to the fact that it is mostly self contained, it should not become unbalanced unlike regular 5e without magic.

low fantasy =/= low magic
high fantasy =/= high magic

Lord of the Rings is low magic high fantasy.
Song of Ice and Fire is low magic... swords and sorcery? political speculative fiction?

ASOIAF at first appears to be low magic low fantasy but it's actually all a ruse and is high fantasy high magic in disguise as the dragons grow older.

Is edge of the empire a good system?

Not him but I find it genuinely fun, the only downside is that you need to get special snowflake dice, but at least there's websites and apps for that.

>low fantasy
Oh. Right. The world is vaguely earth-like.