/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/...
What's your favorite wizard subclass?

Other urls found in this thread:

anagrammatically.com/2010/03/08/the-book-of-sand-el-libro-de-arena-by-borges-translated/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What's your favorite wizard subclass?
None of them. I hate wizards and wizard players.

Illusionist because I get to pretend to have all the actually useful stuff that all the other wizards actually have.

Divination nigga

yee boi

I usually have hard time thinking of motivations/personalities for wizards so I play other classes. Often the "I had to study fuckloads for this" seems to come with motivations of power, which is boring to me.

I might play a war wizard though.

I kinda want to be a Bladesinger and pick spells that I can refluff to look like giant conjured swords, that would fly around mimicing the movement of my own sword.(which would basically be a glorified focus)

Loremaster because I love to hear the autistic screaming of sorcerers.

>-YO MOM DEAD
>-YO DAD A DICK
>-YO BRO A ROBOT
>+IRONWOOD

Every time

Repost from last thread.

Does anyone know of any good one shots with a horror or Halloween theme? I'm thinking about adapting not-Innsmouth (Ashenport) for 5e but I wanted to know if theres other cool ones out there.

Another picture from my inspiration collection.

classic Tomb of Horrors

everybody will die

it's very spooky

will have to do some converting, unfortunately

Have yet to play a Wizard and have only had a single one at our table in 4 years and 4 campaigns.

it was a lore wizard and we had the character go away for a while

>Often the "I had to study fuckloads for this" seems to come with motivations of power, which is boring to me.
I usually play wizards as not giving a shit about power, that's just a side effect of the juicy arcane knowledge that they can't get enough of.

Transmutation.

But as a ForeverGM, I detest the average Wizard player, so I would always prefer to have none in my campaigns.

One of my friends is going away for military service next week. He plays the Bard in our CoS game, and the Barbarian in our HotDQ/RoT game.

How do I gracefully send him off? I don't want to just kill his character, but I don't want to play them either. Either NPC in a safe place, or death.

How can I use Strahd for this? How can I use the Cult of the Dragon for this?

shit that new thread hit right after I posted.
What sort of creature would guard a powerful divine relic/artifact? Would it be a Sphinx? What have you used for situations like this?

The average wizard player is fine as long as you can handle going off the rails occasionally.
Fuck Cleric1/WizardX players though

The character accidentally falls into a magic portal and gets lost in the piss forest forever.
Also he gets transformed into an immortal little girl with cat ears, somehow.

There you go, no need to say thanks

>What sort of creature would guard a powerful divine relic/artifact?
How the fuck would I know? What's the artifact? Where is it located? Who set up the guard?

>+ALL NATURAL
>-ALL NATURAL
idgaf

So I'm thinking arcane trickster or swashbuckler for my rogue. Thinking trickster because I just went through the way of shadows novels.

>The average wizard player is fine as long as you can handle going off the rails occasionally.
This ride has no rails.

The problem is the attitude. The average Wizard player in my experience has been
>Disruptive among the players, both in game and out of character, constantly trying to start shot with other players in game or trying to fuck them over somehow.
>Constantly tries to abuse their spells in not only unintended ways, but also in ways that are clearly against RAW.
>Pays no attention to story or any social interactions the other players engage in, until he either gets bored of waiting, and tries to somehow mind control his way through the "boringness", or does some other stupid shit to the detriment of the rest of the party.
>Keeps trying to be funny by asking if he can invent bombs or modern energy generators because of his 20 Int.
>Keeps starting completely off-topic conversations mid game about how awesome wizards are and how some spells can do insane shit (which they often can't, RAW)
This isnt even 1 player. This is 9 different players. Any time someone new shows up, and wants to play a Wizard as his first character, I instantly know how this will play out. And it doesn't fail. My party actively discourages wizards for newcomers, after the last guy joined, and I accurately predicted, before the first session, that his Illusionist wizard would
>Steal from the party at some point
>Try to abuse illusion spells in ways that isnt possible by the rules
>Try to use illusion magic on the party to fuck them over
>Interrupt us mid-game to tell us something "amazing" an illusionist wizard can do.

And he managed to strike all those within 3 sessions. My players and I agreed to kick him, and now new players wont be allowed to play a Wizard, period. They can earn that right after a campaign has been finished, and they haven't acted like retarded autists.

Yeah I don't blame you at all for that opinion.

I am not even the one who is banning wizards. It is the 3 core players of the group who did.

Guys I need a memorable magic book

Possibly one a level 4 necromancer will have to trade his entire spell book for.

The Book of Sand
The Book of Vile Darkness
The Demonomicon of Iggwilv
The Necronomicon
The Testament of Carnamagos

So is wizard the new CN?

Book of Sand intrigues me. What is it?

I play a Divination wizard and I'm PETRIFIED of being That Guy. I'd never consider stealing from the party, I wait for plans to form before suggesting useful spells and I never, NEVER discuss class features. Nobody even knew I had Fireball until last session. I'm not That Guy, right? ...Right?

anagrammatically.com/2010/03/08/the-book-of-sand-el-libro-de-arena-by-borges-translated/

A book written in an unknown language with occasional illustrations. It has neither beginning nor end, and its pages are infinite, "growing" new ones when you near the end (or front) of the book. Reading it creates an obsession.
>but what's it about
idk probably India or Hinduism or some shit

For my group, more or less. It is the "we need to know you won't fuck this up before we allow it" class.

Same with Mystic. One of my players plays it now, and the UA we printed is just full of sticky notes, overwritten text passages, markings and additions, that we really need to make a clean pdf of it at some point. It is actually a pretty fun concept to play with, but I will wouldn't trust anyone else to play it right now. I only let this guy, because he is extremely good at reigning himself in, and coming up with reasonable changes both buffs and nerfs, that makes the class function better and more fluidly, so it better matches the rest of the classes.

Wizards aren't bad in itself. And if you ever think "I hope I am not a That Guy" and consciously make an effort to avoid it, you czn pretty much never be a That Guy. A that Guy is an autistic human failure, who has no concept of how to act in a social gathering.

If you're that afraid of offending people why not go healing domain cleric and leave the cool classes to the adults?

Guys, help a GM out.

I want my Booklock to have more rituals. He has them all. All of them.

What spells, that doesn't have the ritual tag, is reasonable to allow a Warlock to copy as a Ritual? List any you can think of, and I'll sort through them.

>And if you ever think "I hope I am not a That Guy" and consciously make an effort to avoid it, you czn pretty much never be a That Guy.
Never thought of it like that, thanks user!

>t. That Guy

You, I like you.

...as a GM, I always make it clear to everyone involved, that I do not want any talking behind the backs of people.

If you have a problem with someone, speak up. What is the problem, is there something that should be changed, or something anyone should try to avoid doing.

We are adults. Act like one, take responsibility for your own actions and emotions, and speak up. 90% of the time we resolve it in 2 minutes, the last 10% requores a bit more work, but is generally solved in a friendly and calm manner.

Why is this so hard for people to do? I have had games with a severely autistic guy, who had a support group, couldn't work a normal 9-17 job, and a support person from the government visits him 3 times a week because of his crippling autism, and we were still able to solve our problems by talking about it like normal people do.

You have no excuses.

Abjuration and Evocation are my favorites

There's options beyond Divination?

Arcane lock for sure.

Never made sense to me why this isn't possible to cast as a ritual.

Yes, Divination is overrated

>Divination die
You sure about that lil' buddy?

Yes

>Darkvision
You SURE about that sonny jim sport bucko?

The idea behind an infinite book might be on key, but coming up with infinite content might in time tire it out

Animate Dead

>Called The Neverending Story
>Ends

But user, it can't be read.
>Tongues / Decipher Language
Doesn't work. It's just a spooky book that someone will eventually glean maddening knowledge from, even if they can't understand it.

Why do ettercaps and chitines/choldriths both exist? How many different kinds of evil spider people does D&D need?

War Magic because Harry Dresden is a guilty pleasure

>Getting more spells for casting spells
Is he really really sure?

the true neverending story was the friendships we made along the way

As many as it takes to get the Aranea from Mystara back.

Is there anything in D&D content that discusses the offspring of a half-elf and a full human or full elf?

Transmutation is the true nut specialization.
>buffing yourself and allies passively
>everyone wants to touch your rocks
>bringing the dead back to life
>environmental / mercantile manipulation without resource costs
>learn Polymorph for free
>turn into a bird
>eternal beauty
>loli creation
Now, I know you're never going to hit level 14, but HOLY SHIT IMAGINE IF YOU DID. Every day, you can walk up to a wealthy but aging socialite and say, "Hey, for 10,000 gold I'll turn the clock back on your beauty by 3-30 years. Won't stop until you're satisfied or 13."
FREE FUCKING MONEY

Yes

Quadrelfs.

You could dodge that problem by making the PC go insane after spending X number of hours studying it.

Aah, I'll just have to keep thinking about it. Or maybe one of those other books

How good is Arcane Trickster? I know its good because its fun and vertically versatile, but how good is it?

Like an autist's definition of minmaxy good. I feel Im not seeing its true power.

>Like an autist's definition of minmaxy good. I feel Im not seeing its true power.
Clearly, you aren't an autist. Autists loves minmax AT.

It ain't fighter + sorc + warlock + bard goblin though....

I mean all Im seeing is the ability many things in various situations, but thats just what rogues do. Or is it 3.5e wizard tier that shutscdown all encounters?

It's like the most common racial ability, what's supposed to be so special about it?

It really depends a lot on how the GM handles illusions, what he lets you get away with and so on.
Rogue skills + illusions is a very powerful combination, not so much if the GM is anal about how the npcs interact with them.

Is it possible to shove an enemy's dancing weapon into my bag of holding?

Why are warlocks so fun to play?

Divination for those fuck you to the DM.

Because they're reliable in and out of combat, balanced, flavorful, have loads of builds that make them unique and interesting, and let the player always have something to do.

Its thematic, the powers are fun and frequent, the patrons arent proper gods with definite domains so you have the free pass to fluff your own, it multiclasses into anything with tons of interaction, and the paths are so widely different that aside from tiefling fiendlocks, no two warlocks are the same.

Because the world is in your book and your fingertips. On the basis you manage to survive long enough.

My party is level 7 and a new guy who's never played before wants to join in on the fun. Just to stop him from getting overwhelmed I've decided to have him "wash ashore" on the island they're on and have him start level 1, and with every long rest, "regain his strength" a level until he's equal footing. Is this fair or bullshit?

Fair, but be careful of getting him easily killed.

Invocations and pact boons are a parallel power source that are much much more frequent or permanent than spells. A spell is a thing you fire and forget, but a warlock invocation due to its scarcity and frequency, is part of your identity as a warlock.

Plus they dont lock you out of a possible avenue for fluff without refluffing. A wolf barb must be a wolf, but a feypact lock can be a forest knight, or the agent of the Dark Heart of the Wood, or a woodland trickster. The numbrr of combinations you can get with patron x pact is just magnificently diverse.

Is war cleric a good dip for a barbarian?

>Dipping

Disgusting.

mmm, I'll have a mook with the next few encounters and they can sort of monkey knife fight to get into the swing of things

My light cleric who's married to a smoking tiefling sorceress with 2 children and another adopted one would like a word with "can't fuck no hoes."

>He doesn't dip cleric
absolutely disgusting

>racemixing with a tiefling

If you want to absolutely guarantee he won't die but don't want to overwhelm him you can give him his level 7 HP but only his level 1 features and have him regain them over time

So long as he understands that isn't how it normally works

Abjuration is my favorite, because it feels like you're more capable at Wizard-duel type situations, like Gandalf or Dumbledore, and it also lets you be a Wizard tank who can protect your party.

Transmutation is very cool, too.

Still on my gallant/half-bard bullshit and I want 5eg's thoughts on one feature

- Battle Inspiration: You can now expend an inspiration and attack as part of the same bonus action.
This is intended to be a lower level variant of Valor's Battle Magic meant to plug a feature hole at level 10 from shifting shit around. Is it too much?

So, I asked this yesterday and got an exact 50/50 split in response: for a melee Fighter/Abjurer with Warcaster and 14 Con, should I take Tough or +2Con for my next ASI? Are non-concentration Con saves important enough to forgo the extra HP?

To clarify this is meant for off-hand attack, which I guess might railroad too much towards dual wielding

How about regaining a use of inspiration on a crit?

Ask the player "what does your character want to do while you're gone? He needs to leave the party for the duration. Does he go on another adventure somewhere or is he doing less sternous activity?"

That could work especially since I want the class to be Inspiration first, spells second; I was thinking of an alternative with "Attack and Inspire" as an alternative attack action.

That's a good choice.

I dont think so, but I'd think half breeds would be sterile like in real life

If it's just for offhand, then no.
I like my skalds with shield in hand.

Half-elves breed no problem. They either remain halfbreeds (If breeding with other half elves), or slow get closer to their parent species (a half elf with a human gets a half elf, but at some point it is diluted enough that it is now just plain human again. Same vice versa)

not D&D but the Witcher has quadroons (iirc it's a common suspicion about Jaskier since even in the books he's described as always looking about half his age)

OTOH how D&D worlds deal with it varies a lot depending on how much the author wants to use old cinematic cliches like the tragic mulatto or not.

Yeah that makes sense. I think I'm liking the inspiration recovery idea from user better on second thought.

>Are non-concentration Con saves important enough to forgo the extra HP?
Depends. How much does this list of spells scare you?

I remember some old rules that mentioned this. If there's too little elven blood in the off spring it'll just be human. Unless both parents are pure blooded elves, you wont qualify as an elf.

This may vary in your own setting, of course.

Break off from the regular campaign for 2-3 sessions and do a one shot with him at level 2, then level them up to 4.

if you make a clean pdf can you post it on 5eg? Me and my DM are looking to make mystic available to the group be we're both inexperienced and didn't know what to do other than ban Noman and Nomadic Mind.

Hmmm, that would make it feel less contrived, might be the way to go here, cheers mate
These are more casual players and they're weirdly keen on the campaign so I think while it's not a bad idea it probably wouldn't work in this specific scenario

Need a bit of help
In the latest session our group all went to the local blacksmith for new weapons and gear and I rolled a natural 20 on persuasion so that the greatsword I was getting made would get a good bonus which it did if I role a 12 on a d12 I will do double damage cause "blood loss" all I need is a name can you guys help ?