WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>The Bloody Hand will point the way!
youtube.com/watch?v=zXJ0pphsOkk

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tz1FjI3E_6I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I spent all week pinning and magnetizing a squadron of six jetbikes. I hate these models so much.

The riders are currently separate for painting, but I still need to finish straightening their lances.

Got a couple of Coronus, next.

that looks expensive user. Don't fuck it up

An orc weirdboy I cobbled together called the Voodoo Git. It was supposed to be for my undead army of Orks summoned by pure WAAAAGH! Manifesting this ghostly army.

Expensive is my middle name.

I meant to say Orks not Orcs!

nice, how much of a bitch was that thing to build?

Anyone got a tutorial on making sead nid bases? I dont know much about the Tyranid roster but I am looking for a head that can mostly fill a 40mm base for my chapter master to stand on.

Not very, as a matter of fact. The biggest challenge is pinning the wings, since those nacelles are so heavy, but I used a Dremel press to get my holes nice and straight them used the wings, themselves, as a jig to drill into the nacelles and fuselage. With a pair of 1/8" rods running all the way through to the cabin interior, it's sturdy enough to lift the whole thing.

The rest of it is actually pretty simple, most of the parts are detail appliques for the cabin interior, which conveniently cover up the pin holes I drilled all the way through. The furnace, itself, is four pieces (the top, bottom, and two bottom back corners), with the rear hatch, nose and cockpit all slotting into place; as well as some extraneous detail pieces like intakes and the like.

WIP leman russ dunecrawler

how adorable

Nice bases ... where did you get them?

They're Sanctuary bases from Dragon Forge Design. I really like his products, but waiting on him to fill an order is like waiting for Godot. At least he's super responsive to email.

Yay or nay for this as a Catachan Tzeentch.
Just a guardsman with a “lasbow”

Fuck huge pic cause I’m a filthy phone poster

>"Catachan" Tzeentch
No, it doesn't have enough of the jungle fighter aesthetic at the moment to justify that without being part of a larger unit that looks more like the catachans
>Tzeentch Guardsman with a lasbow
Neat idea and cool model. I dig it

>Just a guardsman with a “lasbow”

Huh. I guess.

Lictor I speed-painted in 2 hours. Im going to change the base and paint the eyes by the way. Comment & critics?

Working on tallyman. Not thrilled with how the face is turning out, but I really wanted to drive home the counting thing so I had painted it purple with a black hood.
Ah ah ah.

Looks rushed, as you might expect.

Better have a bright yellow Lord of Change on your shelf somewhere

So I found some old plastic catachans from the shelf and decided to give them a new life as tallarn/conscript/whatever im going to play them as. Still got few with missing weapons and stuff.

I may have to do a yellow MAGNUS, then

Post workstations
No cleaning allowed

How do you intend to make Morty into Oscar the Grouch?
If we're following this idea to its logical conclusion

Dude.
Fucking stop
Rethink your life
Repaint that shit.
Yes I am mad

Better than facing a grey tide, not bad for 2 hours if that’s all the time you can muster to paint.

I was already planning on greenstuffing his face, cause I don't like it. Might was well make it fussy and add some around his hands to bring it together. Maybe a bit of hair poking out of armor joints.
I never intended to go this far, but I was scraping for ideas on how to do morty's face, anyway

One tip, I would try and limit dry brushing on nids (I know you probably don’t have much choice with a speed paint) but it looks much less organic than proper layering etc

WIP look who arrived today! What coolers should I paint him?

>cooler
white and purple obviously.

Nah, I would love some yellow pus scheme, instead of the classic green.

Imagine how much better you could have done this, if you took your time and thinned your paints more, building up colours and blending them. This looks rushed, as everybody else has said. You do have nice ideas for colours though, so you've at least got that down. Is this a metal figure? If it is, go ahead and strip it right away.

>88
Mein Führer!
Go for a sickly yellow theme with loads of glistening red detailwork and orange veins.

Second go at the airbrushing.

colors are a little thick, but other than that I like it. meh work user.

I like the idea of yellow but I will be honest have yet to paint in that color and I hear it is not easy. Any points or guides you think would be helpful?

I like the shitstain colorscheme for Nurgle demons myself. Basically make it look like a turd decided that it was too sentient for the sewage system it used to inhabit and decided to travel to the surface world.

>"Strength lies not in defense but in attack." -Hitler

Example if you have one?

Looks like a toy that was thrown in campfire but then taken out.
Where did damage come from? No obvious points of impact and black and gradients too widespread for engine flame, if it was the idea.

Kind of like this. Only a little browner. But really just all kinds of different stains of poop. People like to focus on the pus or bile that is so characteristic of disease while really sick people shit themselves real bad aswell. It's an aspect of disease that gets overlooked I think.

Disclaimer: These are not my demons but a picture I found.

Really not sure what to do for Typhus's raised hand. I was thinking about a closed fist with magic and shit pouring forth and using a poxwalker on the base to burst open with flies but I'm stumped on what to do about the hand.

Yea that was the idea. So in this case less is more?

Make it so that he's flipping his opponent off. There's a lightning claw in the chaos terminator lord box with a giant middle finger made just for this

This

If you have the Plaguecaster from the starter I'd consider using the miasma-thing he's casting.

idontgetit

nevermind i got it.
FUCK

I'm making a Slaanesh titan inspired by an Angler Fish, and should I put a lighthouse or an Icon of Slaanesh on its head? A massive light would be a bit obvious, but I like the idea of this massive beacon drawing in the unwary.

Upper half of a space marine.
DP can hold it above a wall and gesture that his fellows join him behind said wall as it is safe from anything heretical

Should said upper-half be a Grey Knight for extra heresy?

Decided that if I'm going to run mixed Eldar (not Ynnari) I might as well build some models that fit thematically with my primary DE army. Wraithblades/Wraithguard as Vect's Castigators.

So I kitbashed an Autarch. I know there are mold lines, ran out of cleanup time for now. How does it look overall?

What's the base for the back right model?

I like the idea and the posing, but I'm not a fan of those fuckhuge shuriken pistols, but that's just a matter of taste I reckon. I'd love to see the rest of the converted Eldar you come up for that army.

Considering the time spent it looks pretty good.
Considering the money spent on the mini I'd spend more time on painting though.

But yeah, I'm with this guy

I plan on give this guy the care he deserves but I have a game tomorrow.
Good advice user, thanks!
Actually is very old, heavily dipped lictor from when I was like 12. I´ll strip him and will post him If I find the time.
Also
>remove flash
>Reduce resolution
>Now it looks 2 times better

Well, they're not shuriken pistols. Autarchs can take twin Avenger shuriken catapults. 18" range, and with appropriate warlord trait, they're sniper weapons. The catapults are the official part for modeling twin catapult Autarchs, so I figured they were suitable enough.

looks like a quantum gothic turret

Still working on his arms. Its arms day today.

got the forearms up to this stage, once they harden, I can do the ribbing and the rest of the gnarly details

Oh, those are supposed to be compact Avengers? Well that explains their size. Still don't like their aesthetics personally, but its a good way to get WYSIWYG on a converted model.

I might do that for another termi lord if I make one for sure but not yet for big T.
I'll see how it looks in comparison to his other hand but that sounds good to me thank you.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tz1FjI3E_6I

R8

The bone parts look really rough. That's something you need to work on.
The purple looks much better.

Nice scheme btw.

bone looks T H I C C

carpaint/10

strip it and start over

Nasty flash and mold lines as well

Just need to base this guy and I’m 1 model down into my skavenblight scramblers

Why is he so angry?

Beatiful, tell me you will base him with green grass.

Definitely, i can’t stand all that warp stone bollocks for bloodbowl bases

No exaggeration, I've seen about five variations of this based on the artwork.

Finished celestine and the rest of the raptor squad. The wings don't show up that nicely and I'm not that happy with the flowers, they appear a bit to bright for the rest of the mini, which is the result of me just messing up yesterday and ending up with darker cloth than I wanted. Faces turned out a bit better than the last one. I do notice that I'm rushing these a bit, the daemonettes suffering worse under it. I should do my mask of slaanesh tomorrow, and probably won't manage to finish every model, even though I have till the 4th.

You know I originally thought the Gaunt body on the arm looked dumb but i think I'm coming around to it.
Looking good pal, excited to see it finished.

What's the best way to commit suicide? Was painting a mini, pretty far along with it, when I realized I missed a now GLARINGLY obvious seam line on the miniature.

These fuckin' Dark Souls minis, I know they are for plebs to play outta the box, but holy fuck they have seam lines in the weirdest goddamn places just to make them all mostly one piece casts.

Thank you This is a good reference im hoping I can prime him tonight

Hopefully my last venom ever done.
I promise next post won't be a raider or a kabalite or a venom. I got scourges in line and then a talos, which I'm pretty excited to paint.

Hey! I just painted mine. I wanted to give him more of a "human that transformed into a horrific daemon" look, so i went with skin tones instead of the generic "GUO green".

If i remember correctly, Mamon Transfigured was a Deacon that "turned his homeworld into a charnel pit of death and decay" in return for daemon-princedom. He was fused with a Great Unclean One i believe. Have fun painting user!

Looks good, user. Enjoy the Talos, it's a great kit

it's a mess, streaky paint with bits of undercoat still showing though

I saw your typhus a few threads ago, and the way a few people were respondin to your paintjobs. Honestly, dont let them get to you. Though your paint is very thick, and there appears to be a graininess to some areas (treads) that may be a result of poor priming.

Watch a few vids on how to thin your paints. Other than that, lovin the color scheme. Is this for world eaters?

Very gritty. I like it.

Great stuff, ITS ALIVE

>Really not sure what to do for Typhus's raised hand.
You need a little fat nurgling with a bicorne hat doing the Napoleon pose in there, obviously.

That's one hell of a weird cat.

So I'm working on a few HQ units for my friend's various armies and stuff because they're getting into 40k. I'm trying to make them special by doing conversions here and there. Starting small, but going to move to more complicated things.

Starting out with the Archon for my friend's DE army. any suggestions on what I could add?

>webms on /wip/
>what a time to be alive
Looks nice, but the "spike thing" on the head is way too big.

"That thing was too big to be called a horn. Too big, too thick, too heavy and too rough. It was more like a large hunk of Iron".

My painting group has like 30 or so empty Citadel paint pots. Is there any way to recycle them for terrain or other projects.

Tried using google to find ideas but its come up with nothing.

Prime and paint them, put them on the battlefield as a form of storage container. Pop a few open, maybe fill with gravel or something.

If you got some of the old hex pots with screw tops you can use the caps. I've seen some pretty nice Ork Roks that used the caps as exhausts.

For the modern ones I'm drawing a blank. The pots got a lot of softeners in them so they may not really be ideal. But I could see the pots being used for tanks in all sorts of industrial scenery or maybe as the base around a pillar of some sort.
If you want to get creative you could maybe even do some kind of Tau style fuel barrel of some sort.

The issue is that your dirt and stuff isn't to scale. It looks like a dirty model, not like a tank with dirt on it.

Good job painting the inside. A lot of people aren't that dedicated

I live in a shack.

Not bad user, catachans are unsightly fucking miniatures, that may improve them.

I'm still not a good painter, but I got one Grey Knight (of eleven) done. I like this scheme and subtle highlights, even if it doesn't photograph well.