Heaven vs the hells in d&d?

how do you pull off angels fighting demons the main conflict in your game? have you ever seen it in your games? two players in my new game are sorta associated with each side and i wanna use that in the story.

i have a tiefling warlock of Mephistopheles player who's obsessed with learning what happens if a tiefling and aasimar mate. and another female cleric aasimar player who seeks to revitalize her dying hometown in the desert/dust-bowl.
the tiefling does funny shit like deeply inhaling the clerics hair when she passes by or sleeps and of course he tries to hook up with her but she always tells him to fuck off, but i respect that he never tried to force her in anyway and keeps doing it just as a gag. for the first game the group just decided to hunt some bounties in waterdeep.

In D&D proper, angels are absolutely not allowed to just attack Hell. The Pact Primeval defends them from the aggression of the upper planes. Any celestial that goes against it will be smacked the fuck down.
Of course in the first place, Hell's armies are already committed to holding back the infinite horde of Demons that pour forth from the Abyss. The Blood War has to take up the bulk of the Devil's forces, else they'd be overrun and lose the entire war they were created to fight.
The war between the high planes and the low planes is not an overt one. The forces of evil are beaten back by mortals, who are aided and delivered by the good ones in secret. In the first place, Evil is far stronger on a multiversal scale than Good is. The Good gods may individually be more powerful than Evil gods, Archdevils, etc. but the amount of Devils outnumber Celestials by thousands to one, and Demons are quite infinite.

But it's your setting and do whatcha want. Basically, the angels should follow that pattern; stronger individually than demons (a Solar can take out a Pit Fiend with general ease), but terribly, terribly outnumbered, and being worn down in the long run exactly as Asmodeus planned it.

The question is, how do you make the conflict interesting for the players? I mean, it could be a nice touch in the background, but if I was playing in a game where I had to play spectator to high-level NPC fighting, I'd revolt. Ask yourself how the presence of this war can reach the material plane where the PCs are, and how it affects their characters.

lots of good info, thanks alot.
have you ever heard of this monster that i think comes from pathfinder judging by the art i saw a long time ago, it looked like a half demon half celestial holding a shortsword. cant find it on google

>tiefling warlock of Mephistopheles player who's obsessed with learning what happens if a tiefling and aasimar mate
As both of them are sterile half-breeds, nothing happens.

man that would be anticlimactic

Nah, with their bonuses to charisma and the magical effects you could bring to sex, it'd be pretty climactic.

not OP but I have been playing with the idea of heaven vs hell.
Are there any 3.x/PF sourcebooks/splash pdfs that can give me some stats on arch angels, demon overlords and such?
I have a group of level 16-18ish that want something epic

>As both of them are sterile half-breeds, nothing happens.

What?

well user.. sterile means that something is unable to reproduce aka give birth.
When you crossbreed two races it will sometimes (if not most of the time) end with a sterile being.
Look at ligers. Half tiger, half lion. Breed those suckers and you get a horse sized cat of war. Sadly (or luckily) they are not able to reproduce naturally. Otherwise you would have some sick warlord type with an army of ligers

>Thinks tiefling and Aasimar are half-breeds

This is wrong in every edition where these races exist.

It's 3.5e. MM3 or MM4 don't remember which or the name.

>Chart from the book so shit that WotC threw it out

It's also just wrong.
Elf x Ogre crossbreeds are a thing from Mystara.
Dwarf x Elf and Elf x Orc are both stated to exist in older Realms shit.
Minotaurs have to breed with humans since they don't have females.
And so on.

Fair.

I make it so in my homebrew setting b/c it makes more sense to me personally. So long as I don't run AL it hasn't been an issue.
Man, an army of liger sounds badass.

Come on we all know that human is the universal, end all middle race so when tieflings and aasimar mate it just cancels out both celestial and infernal just makes a regular human.

Gosh, it’s like you don’t even know that humans are the center of all things.

>army of liger
are there any stats/rules for creating halfbreeds?
I have an orc warlord who might want to have this

I recommend reskinning a high-CR beast. Large cat or dog most likely.

With 1-axis alignment, every fight between any Law aligned creature and any Chaos aligned creature is part of a grand cosmic struggle.

>what happens if a tiefling and aasimar mate
An apocalyptic event, as the offspring is such a special snowflake that the laws of reality break down around it.

Kek'd