/5eg/ - D&D 5th Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous session
Druids, what is your favourite wildshape?

My life is going downhill and I am using D&D to obsess as a form of escapism.

send help

Horse, help out the cavalier a lot.

Thread was only on page 8 you fucking Mong

My character is a Dwarven (melee) Hunter Ranger that comes from a long line of monster hunters and giant slayers. However, his family are tremendously embarrassing and are essentially laughing stocks outside their wheelhouse of monster hunting. So this dwarf leaves his family to try and carve out his own reputation as a hunter, using the skills his family taught him but (for better and worse) refusing to leverage his family's reputation or make his heritage known at all.

Tell me, /5eg/, what is a humiliating last name for this Ranger to keep suppressed and buried? My best idea right now is that he hails from the Bazinga clan.

Also, sword and board or dual handaxes for a melee ranger?

Reposting from last thread: Looking for advice-

Half-elf (drow)
Paladin of Redemption
BS: his father (Drow) fled from House Duskryn during a raid, traveled far away and became a farm hand. Married the farmer's daughter, had a kid (me). Raiding party came to kill pops, he died, mother died, most of the farm hands died, raiding party died, I survived. Became a thief in a big town, met a girl, got caught. worked for a church instead of jail time, and from there decided to be a paladin for redemption. Looking to protect those that have turned away from evil.

My motto is if you decline my offer of redemption, you'll not get any mercy from me. And help me Eldath, if you threaten someone on the path of redemption.

I'm having a hard time finding the balance between the criminal mindset, and the paladin who's a shining star of good.

My dm will let me know if im heading down the "wring" path by telling me "I feel a twinge on my soul." Which happens a lot.

Any thoughts? Thanks

I've never played a druid before, are they fun?

Easily the least fun of all casters.

It's a dwarf so dual hammers or axes.

how so?

Tiefling come in many shape and form, so would you let me play as a four armed tiefling. I won't brother you about the tail being use to hold an additional weapon again.

>bladelocks have to wait 12 levels for CHA to damage when blastlocks get it at level 1

fucking WHY

Because fuck you. Gishfags deserve to suffer.

Probably not

Because of one level dips by melee classes.

But it's level 2 :3

Dumb frogposter.

Giant Spider.

Same

Same

laughing at your suffering

Take one week off to do the thing you are avoiding.

Your party will understand that sometimes the true sidequest is within.

We're running a one shot soon and everyone is allowed to build any level five character he wants.

Turns out that every player in the party has somehow build or at least multiclassed as a rogue. All except one, who doesn't yet have a character.
He's however open to the idea of multiclassing a rogue.

Are there any interesting options for him, considering UA is fair game?

xth for having a cosy time making prep for next session

Ain't gonna lie to you, dual wielding is some of the least fun shit in 5e, especially as a ranger cause you have a lot of shit that uses bonus actions and if your DM is hard on spell components actually mattering, dual wielding sucks unless you take warcaster and ranger has fuck all that's useful if you pump strength instead of wisdom for the cast of opportunity. Really what I'm saying is that every good 5e ranger uses a two handed weapon when a bow becomes less than useful.

Rogue party best party.

What is everyone else doing?

>I'm an unathletic nerd and therefore you don't get to have both brains and brawn

same

shoulda picked a le epin arcana cleric that that one user wont shut up about

>Not GOD SQUAD of all clerics or paladins.

All rogue sounds like the DM better have everything mapped out, and have an idea of patrol patterns. Could be very fun, or not at all.

Var. Human with the Healer feat. Healer's Kits qualify for Use an Object. Take soldier background and Thief Archetype, you are now a battlefield medic that sells supplies for extra cash.

>Yfw this is true and 2wf feels neutered.

We've got a Shadow Monk/Assassin, a Arcane Trickster and a Inquisitive Rogue/Knowledge Cleric.

What's your current character?

I've been seriously tempted to have offhand attacks count as part of your attack action mostly for all the issues there are with making it a bonus.

All three classes that used to be the heaviest into dual wielding have enough bonus actions to make it a pointless decision to ever dual wield except for like, maybe rogue on the off chance they miss with their main attack.

Paladins and clerics are powerful and effective, but going all rogue changes the gameplay itself.

Homebrew Race Rogue Swashbuckler(-ish) who wields a sentient greatsword that can deliver SA.

TWF works fine on very specifically barbarogues, low levelled characters and low levelled barbarians

because ranged > melee faggot

Saurok a level 10 champion fighter mercenary veteran Lizardfolk.

Ẃhich seems pretty limiting all told.

Like sword and board ranger is okay but I feel like Ranger has been a dual wielder since 2e, and Thief and Bard since 2.5, so it's a bit jarring to make it useless now.

Why go champion?

Well, there isn't really any reason to use melee unless you're a barbarian, monk or paladin.

That's what I don't get, why didn't they just make it so the trade off of TWF vs a two handed weapon is that you roll twice for each hit while dual wielding, crits do less and you can miss with one or both attacks. Just take out the part of dual wielder where you can use non-light weapons, the defensive part is more than enough to be worth a feat. Shit even with 2 d8's, there's GWM to compete. Seems like an easy fix without invalidating sword and board or any other weapon choices.

Kentucky "Kenty" Smith, a Goblin Ranger with the Archaeologist background.
Loosely inspired on Indiana Jones, except he doesn't has the stats to back it up because I rolled

It was my first character. I didn't know any better.

Sword and Board also gets the advantage of duelist on top of better inherent AC without blowing a feat.

I'd still restrict to a light offhand without feat if I was to be rewriting 5e's dual wielding.

maybe he likes that rush you get from rolling a critical

Same

I'm not saying let people get non-light weapons off the bat for dual wielding, I'm just saying if the worry of making it so dual wielding doesn't use a bonus action is that it can get to 2d8's then just take that bit out of dual wielder, but there are stronger feats for currently stronger weapon choices anyway.

Are you me, my first character is a Mountain Dwarf Champion fighter, still going strong in barovia but I wanna retire the character soonish because fuck me I have other ideas I wanna play, especially with a bunch of xanathar's stuff giving me more ideas than I'll ever realistically be able to play with only one group.

Nothing wrong with a straight up thief, but what is he considering multiclassing with?

Oh, definitely, even with style (especially with style) GWM and PAM are significantly better currently than dual wielding except at one thing (AC) and people who build for either of those are probably either rolling barbarians or saving up the dosh for a plate harness.

A fighter who is based on the Count of Monte Cristo.

What's the most versitile class fluff wise?

Wizard

>versitile
I meant versatile

Probably fighter.

Fighter just because all they are is 'get a load of feats and gete some more attacks'

However you can pick a wide range of abilities as wizard and refluff it while using the many archetypes

>except at one thing (AC)

i'd still rather play a class that has the dueling fighting style and use a shield for that.

You could even make it so that when TWF when you attack you have to make both your mainhand and offhand attack against the same target, and if the target dies with the mainhand attack the offhand attack simply doesn't happen, perhaps adding something to dual wielder to allow you to carry over that offhand attack

Rogue and Bard
>wizard
Have fun begging for scrolls

Fluff wise? Sorcerer, I suppose. You can be the CHOSEN ONE of a god, or you can have your magic come from dragon blood in your veins, or you can be born during a storm, or you can be a psyker, or...

Arcane Trickster does whatever an Arcane Trickster does, all utility cantrips.
Shadow Monk/Assassin is all about sneak and stab.
Inquisitive / Knowledge Cleric is based on Hercule Poirot, has extreme Insight and Perception and almost ever Knowledge Skill in the game.

Not much yet, he's new to 5e and open for everything.

Warlock. The why and how of pacts are all over the place, and each type has different possibilities. Any one of them may introduce direct interaction on the part of the patron as well.

A Drow Land Druid (Underdark) with the Hermit background.

Would an attunement item for the Druid that lets him use his WIS modifier to Primal Savagery (and only Primal Savagery)? He's more or less just using it as his main form of attack.

Why are stealth rules so shit?

What's wrong with them?

Because weapon attacks already add a stat bonus to damage.

Everything.

They don't exist.

Swashbuckler/Hexblade
Bladesinger/Arcane Trickster
Assassin/Fighter
Thief/Artificer
Rogue/Redemption Paladin
Scout/Ranger
Inquisitive/Diviner

Only one offhand attack would keep limiting this (even if the fighting style could have been set to match extra attacks, or the feat idk).

Basically I'm not even sure why the pressure to nerf dual wielding. Certainly not versimilitude since they still use the same garbage economics since 1e

I have never once seen someone play a paladin in a way that was unique or interesting. You either get the stereotypical good guy stick in the mud paladin, or some edgelord who thinks he's being unique by playing some carbon copy judge dredd monstrosity. It seems like every paladin I see fits into one of those two categories and every paladin in each category is totally interchangeable with every other paladin in that category.

Are people just bad at roleplaying, or is the paladin class just that limiting?What are some unconventional ways you can play a paladin?

Please prove me wrong.

How very specific

Just read this.

Any other issues, talk to your DM.

>What are some unconventional ways you can play a paladin?
The first paladin I played was originally a bandit, who did something so horrible, it made him realize he's a bad guy and have a change of heart. His drive to atone for his sins made him into a paladin.
The thing is, he still looks and fights like a bandit.

Well faggot what are your own ideas for making them interesting? Finger pointing is easy.

Evelyn from Dice, Camera, Action is a redneck paladin who is a genuinely good person but is not a stick in the mud. She loves to have fun with her friends and is always making fun of the tiefling sorcerer Strix.

I feel like TWF needs to scale up at some point to give two extra attacks instead, almost regardless of class. It drops off sharply once it becomes a third of your damage rather than half, and it only gets worse from there.

Devotion/oldladin encouraged this shit far too much in general (like, a silly village drinking game makes you fall in TOEE ffs).

I wish Vengeance attracted people who were more interested in playing Inigo Montoya than the fucking Punisher.

The only way to play a remotely interesting paladin in older editions was to have a DM who didn't treat the alignment descriptions in the book like holy writ.

paladins are only fun for the person playing them

>What's wrong with them?
people not realizing that stealth IS arbitrary, and they don't want to have to actually think about stuff like line of sight, light levels, or ambient sound.

I love having them when there's undead around. I love cheering them on when it's time to smite some motherfucker.

t. chaotic stupid rogue player

From last thread

>I'm a Devotion Paladin 8 / Undying Warlock 1 Gravedigger, who uses a glaive reskinned as a shovel to do battle.
>I come from a line of xerif like guards to a graveyard in the middle of the country tasked with the job of watching over the grounds, but alas, do to my Wisdom 8, I didn't pay a lot of attention one day and countless bodies escaped as undead.
>I chase them now across the lands with me shovel to put them back where they belong
>My patrons are the ethereal hallucination of the ghost of my foreberers by whom I constantly watched and criticized (like a damned millenial) but at the same time protected by.
>When I cast guardian of faith or use the among the dead feature, that reflects them and their undead presence having my back
>Also, Sacred Weapon on my shovel is pretty rock and roll

We're all in the same team user, this isn't wow, where everyone bitches about "muh face rollers"

rogues are just as bad if not worse

>when people realise the edgy gimmick doesn't really work if there's no reason to talk to them
>here open this lock
>... heh this is bene-
>yeah thanks, anyway whats inside?

Fighting style could be to add half your proficiency bonus to the offhand attacks, so it doesn't crazily beat duelist or two handed weapons. but scales well enough to be worth it

what's the best cleric domain?

Forge

Depends on what you want to do. I personally like Forge

The one thing I hate about this concept is how awful the visual looks in my mind with heavy armor

I'd run it again with a Tortle if I didn't hate scallies so hard

Best for what? You want to be rock and roll you go tempest, you want to be Chernobyl you go light, you want to be the only Caster your party will ever need, you go arcana

How would I make an Intelligence-based healer? Like a white mage or a super doctor.

I had a ton of fun playing a Knowledge cleric.

Theurgy Tradition

Pick any healer type
Go high Int
Take Medicine and Healer's kit as profs.

Guides to Rangers in earlier editions suggested the same thing.

Thief rogue. Take Healer feat. You can now use healing kit in combat as a bonus action to immediately restore an ally from dying and give him hit points, immediately sending him back into the fight.

You can take Medic feat from UA as well if you feel like it. As a Thief, you'll be having a lot of feats.

Question about Compelled Duel.

What stop's the person who failed the save to not continuously try and run away on their turn until they succeed? Nothing on the spell seems to stop them from doing this if I'm reading this correctly.