/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Jewel of Tamriel Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
[UESRPG new link] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
No waifus or husbandos period
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.
To keep this from becoming /tesg/ minus waifus, don't post memes unless you are also posting quality discussion. Especially if it's not even Elder Scrolls related.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_1st_Edition/Cyrodiil
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

To start things off, are console-accessed locations and Lord Cluttermonkey considered canon, if not at least part of the Dreamsleave?

We will never see Daggerfall in a 3d vidya?

but original daggerfall was 3d, senpai

flat 3d, and I'm talking about the city

Nothing in the games is canon. Only MK lore is canon.

Why does Telvanni have no honor, and is extremely rude?

Anything I don't like isn't canon.

Question for the thread. What kind of mer do you think founded the Thalmor party? Was it a reaction to something? Did it always exist as a fringe group? Does the head run the Dominion now?

such autistic bait...

>someone jokes about a fantasy setting going to the moon on another board
>immediately think of the Khajiit's teamwork-tower to the moons
>lol a 'Khajiit Tower' that no-one knows exists since it's hiding in plain sight & can be built at anytime
>when everyone else has a house the cat-gypsies have a caravan haha wouldn't that be silly
>Find a discussion of Words of Clan Mother Ahnissi just earlier today
>"And Fadomai said, "To you, my favored daughter, Fadomai leaves her greatest gift. To you Fadomai leaves her secrets."
>"And Fadomai said, "The Khajiit must be the best climbers, for if Masser and Secunda fail, they must climb Khenarthi's breath to set the moons back in their courses."
>"And Azurah bound the new Khajiit to the Lunar Lattice, as is proper for NIRNI'S SECRET DEFENDERS."
...uh, guys?
GUYS

What does that make you for biting? :^)

They're ancient magelords. You pretty much have to be an asshole to rise high in the House, and the older and crazier they get the less they remember about how to interact with people. There's a reason they have the whole "Mouth" system. It's not just so they can hide in their hobbit-holes and make daughter-waifus without having any real responsibility, it's also so when they DO need to get something done politically, there's a competent underling there to do it.

And yet you took it. Stay mad, r/teslore.

>Question for the thread. What kind of mer do you think founded the Thalmor party? Was it a reaction to something? Did it always exist as a fringe group? Does the head run the Dominion now?
In Oblivion there were rumours about increased Daedra worship among the Altmer. There was also that crazy group of extremists who were destroying objects of art in the Summerset Isles. I don't think those thing are directly linked, but they do suggest a kind of breakdown in order among the Altmeri. That seems like something the Thalmor could be a reaction to, a kind of ultranationalist group that took advantage of disorder and moved in to Make Altmeri Great Again.

Is that why the Thalmor fucked with Khajiit birth rates? Because the race itself is a tower that needs to be destroyed?

AGAIN
>The Thalmor are Secret Jyggalag Cultists, the Khajiit is a affront to the Order and its miscegenation represents chaos in his eyes.

I think the Mane is the tower of Elsweyr if I'm recalling correctly.

Worthless shroom wizards, they can't even be bothered to help defend Morrowind from invaders. Only House Redoran has honor, and only Redoran can lead the Dunmer people in difficult times. Except Ashlanders, fuck those guys.

For UESRPG 3e:

There are two shehai techniques that refer to attackers and defenders tying, and the core book doesn't make it terribly clear (at least to me) whether tying involves both parties succeeding on their rolls, or both parties succeeding *and* achieving the same DoS. Any clarification on this?

Am still confused on how, after attacks/defense are declared, what determines if it succeed or not?

No, no, I get that. What it boils down to is that if one person succeeds and the other fails, the winner gets advantage, and if they both succeed there is no advantage, while the specific outcome boils down to the type of attack and defense utilized.

That stuff is pretty clear, but for the purpose of these techniques I'm trying to figure out whether a "tie" refers to both parties succeeding at their tests, or both parties succeeding at their tests as well as rolling the same effective degrees of success. Mostly so I can figure out whether my dreams of forgoing armor as my defensive option would work.

>one person succeeds and the other fails
What determines THIS though. Me and my friend can't seem to find it in the rule book.

Ah, okay I misunderstood your question. Page 67 defines the flow for attacking and defending, in this case the test works like every other test in the game using the relevant skill (usually combat style or a spellcasting school). If both characters succeed at rolling at or under their target number, then usually the one with the most degrees of success comes out on top of the situation (blocking is special).

I am an idiot I meant this
>at rolling at or under their target number ]
What determines the target number for my attack to succeed, not gain an advantage but just to succeed.

Times like these am glad I am anonymous

Strength or agility plus combat style is your to hit %, before modifiers like the targets size, making an all out attack for another +20%, or any other circumstance that can affect a hit.

You're probably just overthinking the fuck out of it. If you're making a combat style test, then you take the relevant attribute (Strength / Agility) and adding your combat style modifier to it.

So let's say you have 40 strength and are trained to journeyman (+20) in combat style, this means your target number is 60. If you're casting a spell, it would be Willpower + the spellcasting skill's modifier. Certain things might affect this number for better or worse, in which case your GM will let you know what to add/subtract from this target number, but otherwise this is the norm.

I'd suggest re-reading the book as that setup is pretty much the core mechanic of the entire system.

Wow what page was this becuase I did not know how I missed this. Friend thought it was this but we wanted to make sure. And yea ill read it again. Its fun being a Highborn Breton Mage hunter. Tes fits very well with pen and paper.

If you want to learn more about The Elder Scrolls™, you should really buy The Elder Scrolls™ 5 Skyrim™ and all its DLC plus all the mods on the Creation Club™

Daggerfall and really everything before Morrowind was utter shit

literally exact opposite. anything not from the Bethesda games is non-canon

>anything not from the Bethesda games is non-canon

That's not really true. Short of going full Zahakaron and saying WHAT YOU PREFER IS CANON, everything is pretty much loosely canon. Little things like Heimskr quoting Imperial Library texts despite them not existing in any of the games and so on give credit to the fact that they use what they feel like using and everything's fair game.

And the teachings of lord kirkbride allow you to have that preference.

bump

As far as pre-made classes go, what do you guys prefer to go with and why? Any role play reason for it?

Did you ever try recreating a class from an RPG not covered, or mimic a character from a book or movie?

Pre-made classes always sucked honestly. Too many redundant weapon skills when TES games are geared towards specializing in one weapon skill, especially III and IV.

As far as making classes I've done everything from total Sam Fisher sneaks, to Hulk SMASH Orcs, and even a Slum Lord/Merchant playthrough in Skyrim where I never travelled without at minimum 3 followers and never actually engaged in combat.

My go-to is a gentleman duelist class, speed based long blade fighter who tries to talk his way out of things first. It's a great way to play, and let's me dress up in fancy clothes while I adventure.

I also forgot to mention my other go-to, heavy armor wearing, mace wielding longbowman. No pansy sneaking about, I like em to see me before I bury an arrow in their neck. It's also a lot of fun just to go big game hunting in the wild with just a bow and your wits. I have a standing Skyrim install where I just hunt and fish, sell meat and pelts to pay my bar tab.

Nah m8. The mane is the STONE.

OH SHIT AN ECHMER

>The Khajiit are the tower of Elsweyr
>A part of the Thalmor master plan is to genocide the Khajiit

well, that would explain why they're amongst three, and then two surviving races

I hate Ashlanders so much.

That's the thing: what if the Thalmor don't even know?
Yeah, it makes sense that they would. But It also makes sense that they were simply experimenting with the Khajiit's alleged merishness. Or had The Mane assassinated for political power. Or just wanted them all dead in itself because fuck cats right?
Maybe Khajiit are just that good at keeping secrets. Maybe they've taken it for granted as centuries passed & life got comfier. And if they can trust-pyramid themselves a Tower at will, maybe the Void Nights were a wake-up call that'll spur them into action once the next Mane comes around.
>the Thalmor might've unwittingly fucked themselves long-term

?
I don't follow. Surviving from what? The Dawn Era? The future C0da starts from? Who are the others?

Jygglag is free to do whatever the fuck he wants, and Summerset isles is full of Daedric worshipers, and the thalmor now sees the aedra as traitors who robbed their immortality

Jygg coming out of nowhere and offering them boons as long as they serve him makes a lot of sense, since NIRN is perfect to be his new realm, but since has no powers to do it so, the thalmor fits it on the same way as Dagon and Mankar Camoran did with the Mythic Dawn

In c0da humans were eradicated by the Thalmor, only Altmer, Dunmer and Khajit lived, and then Altmer got stomped by Numidium, and the rest escaped to the moon.

I was just referring to your Thalmor mention but hey that's pretty cool. I presumed Jyg would stay MIA until the next kalpa freed up a slot for him, this is much more interesting.
Funnily enough, I saw Jygglag's name a lot yesterday as well. Specifically as an analogy in Trinimac discussion. There's a theory that Auri-El/the Aldmer pantheon orchestrated his downfall to Boethiah, because he was absorbing their spheres of influence & getting too powerful for their liking. He was 3 times as OP as any other god because he was drawing from 3 oversouls instead of one, so they cut him down to size. If there's any legitimacy to that, it'd be pretty ironic if the Thalmor sold out to the same kind of trouble-maker.

lel
So the lizards had no secret plot of their own?

Why? I'm curious.

Are Ayleids Veeky Forums the race?

Are people just now reading Khajiiti lore?
Words of Clan Mother Ahnissi is great.

>humans were eradicated by the Thalmo
It's implied that the Numidium destroyed humanity on Landfall.

Are Orsimer jews?

No, that would be the Dunmer

I'd read it and re-read it and re-read it again. First time was before I was even into lore talk and saw TES as another standard fantasy setting, found a copy when playing Skyrim.
I just never noticed the significance of those lines before. Or maybe did, but couldn't make sense of them & quickly forgot. This time I had PGE2's quasi-canon tomfoolery fresh in my mind to anchor a reference point.
Hot damn it doesn't even mess with the numerology of The Eight. 8 + 1. They're the "Missing Tower" like Lorkhan's the "Missing God".

/teslore/ is Anuic. /tgesg/ is Padomaic.

Y/N?

Can somebody point me in the direction of where I can find pre-Oblivion lore on Cyrodiil, mostly on what the whole Colovian vs Nibinese thing was?

You know, before Bethesda handwaved all the little stuff and said "dude Talos (pbuh) just waved his hand and made everything generic fantasy lmao"

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_1st_Edition/Cyrodiil

Name one famous bard, I challenge you.

Off the top of my head, Jorunn.

Is Suran a den of filth? I mean its got a slave market and whore house, and its Hlaalu

>catching up on old threads
>"The Godhead is ANU"
...Wait what the FUCK?
I thought the Godhead was Amaranth? And that Anu was the basis of their dream?
Someone fill me in pls

>I thought the Godhead was Amaranth
Amaranth is what comes out.
C0DA ends with the Amaranth being born.

Yeah.

I don't get what exactly happens- who exactly becomes Amaranth, who moves to the new kalpa, and what happens to the rest?

I was expecting something bigger

That screenshot is only showing the market area. I can't say for certain, but Daggerfall in TESO feels much bigger than any of the cities in TESIV or V.

As long as its bigger, and grander than Wayrest.

Has anyone made a topography map of pre-Oblivion Cyrodiil in the same vein as the Hammerfell one?

>who exactly becomes Amaranth
The son of c0da's MC and Vivec boipucci

Well what about the current Godhead? Is it Anu or a separate entity entirely?

There's one of the whole of Tamriel.

OK, and then the kalpa ends and everyone dies? What happens to Vivec and Jubal? What happens to Ayem and Seht? What happens to et'Ada? If Molag Bal could survive from past kalpa, will other deities also transfer there, with changed domains? Does it mean Chimsters will become et'Ada in the next kalpa? And how the fuck a newborn will be able to create a world if he doesn't know shit?

No Entity in the Dream is separate of the Godhead.
The Godhead is Anu, and from Godhead-Anu comes Dream-Anu. Almost like when you dream, there's Dreamer-user lying in his bed, and inside his mind is Dream-user, a figment of the Dream.

Thanks, just wondering how Cyrodiil's jungle changes throughout it.

By being Hlaalu it is automatically a den of filth. The whore house and slave market just further steep it in the squalor.

>Ayem and Seht
>Et'Ada
They're already dead.

What vows would there be in a Cult of Jyggalag?

Why not Godhead-Padomay?

Extreme order and properness. The exact opposites of Sheogorath?

Why not Godhead-Fargoth?

It's only a model

Relevant
Fargoth achieved Chim. It's canon.

Why is Fargoth such a, and I hate using this word, a meme?

Because his name sounds like a hateful epithet. No other reason. Begs the question of whether or not it was intentional, I'd bet money it was.

He was the first non-imperial you meet and is generally hated by the public of Seyda Neen. Hilariously, Fargoth is a lovable character.

I admit I once modded Fargoth to be no pushover. Hrisskar was found in his home dead, murdered by Fargoth whom was a pimp kitted in full Daedric Armor and had two Golden Saint concubine hookers as followers.

Best Daedric Prince?

>Enantiomorphic bait
I ain't being no observer. I know what happens to those types.

For the same reason why Jiub is a fan favorite character despite appearing for a grand total of 15 seconds in the intro before disappearing for the rest of the game.

Bruh there's this fucking cat that isn't even mine that keeps climbing my tree, and now all I can think of is that it's a secret agent cat protecting the moon(s).

So what is he up to in Akavir?

Why is there so little information on Tiber Septim's brother, the whole reason the Septim dynasty survived one generation.

I find it funny that litterally from the start the dunasty was not direct, but the dragonfires did not care.

Indeed, why would the Imperial political establishment be so secretive about someone who allowed them to maintain the image of legitimate power over the Provinces after the death of the actual symbol of that power. Everyone knows that since the Elder Council never lies, the Septim dynasty are actually directly related to Talos Stormcrown and NOT a convenient political fabrication.

>Septim dynasty are actually directly related to Talos Stormcrown and NOT a convenient political fabrication
The dragon fires are a thing, it's not like there are a tone of other dragonborns laying around.

ESO is going to Summerset proper next

Khajiit moon landing was faked.

I'll wait until the trailer. There's old datamined content that made it out to be appropriately weird and magical, but it's super old and might not be accurate anymore. They're at least willing now to tackle the esoteric stuff, so who knows.

Jew analogues in the northeast, pompous faux Romans in the mid-padomaic, alligator people in the southeast, golden skinned elitists in the far west, and a people utterly devoid of culture (Colovians) in the heartland. How come it took me this long to figure out that Tamriel was the USA bros?

> Implying the power of the Dragonborn, the Dragonfires, and Chim el-Adabal (which has been used by several ruling dynasties) are all hereditary and not based on the royal will of their users/dominion over the star magick of White Gold
> Forgetting that the powers of the Dragonborn come from the once-Aedra-now-mantled-by-Alessian-men who are the pawns of the Elder Council.

Convenient assumptions fed to you by faceless masters.

You all need to wake up, funny how you all accept history given to you by the most secretive and powerful body in Tamriel as the "truth" because they're the "good guys".

>the most secretive and powerful body in Tamriel
I thought that was the Psijic Order.