Kamigakari Thread

New start day edition

So due to the poll, Threads will go up on friday around this time, give or take a couple hours. Hopefully that means we'll get more discussion early in thread.

So the poll this time will be "Have you played a game of Kamigakari" and the choices are split between yes, no, and whether as a player or GM.

strawpoll.me/14253485

Baseline stuff
mediafire.com/file/183vmgy8b3w1uj3/Kamigakari.rar

Expansions and errata
pastebin.com/u/RoyalTeaRed

Google Docs Character sheet (for if you play online)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xY5uiJleOpnlh93SGLq2_iKteOFZnlMH1X-MtEDsWsw/edit#gid=0

Mononoke homebrew Guide, FAQ, And quick rules cheatsheet
pastebin.com/u/HomebrewAnon

Hopefully, now that we start on busier days for Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums in general, threads will be more active or stay up longer. Either way would make me happy.

That aside, i'm quite interested to see what the disparity on the poll will be.

I didn't add a "No, what is this game" option more because that would be the clearcut winner. We're a small thread with relatively few active people, so anyone that sees it in the OP While scrolling by would probably just answer that.

Hopefully, We can get some discussion going about groups and such, maybe even help people find some players.

Its a pipe dream, i know, but thats the hope.

on the other hand, if you have played, please tell some stories.

Isekai user's stories are great but it would be awesome to hear from some others. I've told about my all of 2 stories as a kamen rider screaming about justice, and i remember one user talking about doing the sample scenario's, albeit a bit differently, But it would be neat to get some fresh blood in here so far as stories go.

Yeah that option woukd be pretty redundant huh

I hope we dont get swept off the board by faster moving threads though

More images please.

>No, I can't find a GM
there's actually a game i know is going on right now, but i'm not in it, because i have other games
>No I can't find enough players
also false, i'm not in the mood to GM it

please notice me, senpai

Art looks cool. What is the game about.

Mostly its monster of the week type stuff with a modern fantasy setting with things like gods, demons, and basically anything inbetween

Only did the 1st sample episode with my brothers. After that, we kinda just stopped.

Any particular reason for that?

Has Kamigakari user shown up at all lately?

Unfortunately not, but thread has been sporadic for the last 2 weeks in and of itself. If we don't see him this time, i'll see about contacting him somehow. I don't have terribly many leads on that, but i'll give it a shot.

Well, thats a set of extraneous circumstances.

All i can say is, maybe some of those games will end and you can join a kamigakari one, but thats both good and bad depending on if you like doing said games.

I can spam a few images, sure.

Just got lazy, I guess. There's also real life.

Mecha bunny hat!

Well, i can't help with personal stuff. If it was the game or its systems, there was the off chance i coulda done something, but if its all you, then i can't do much about that.

Still, you gave it a shot at least, and i appreciate that.

I do plan to pick it back up, just waiting on Kamigakari user for the new translation.

That could be a while.

Indeed. Frankly, i'm not quite sure where he buggered off too. He was the one that started this whole thing, so you'd think he'd show up more often.

Still, real life is real life, so he may be preoccupied.

I know this system's got rules for Heroic Spirits somewhere.
How are they? Could you run a not-Fate game with them?

In the expansions and errata pastebin, its the first expansion.

Most of the races are pretty solidly balanced, with cyborg being a min-maxing outlier. Heroic spirits come with more well-rounded stats, but have 5's in their main ones, with the exception of the utility set of stats which is mostly 3's and 4's. They have a good array of talents and some neater unique ones, but are generally multi-purpose.

As for running a non-fate game, easily. Rather, you would need to actually try and recreate those rules for yourself to do such a thing. The system doesn't natively account for that, so to speak.

For a change of pace, Military girl!

wait, i'm dumb. i missed what you meant by "Not-Fate".

Still, its not terribly difficult. Both heroic spirits and noble phantasms are sort of accounted for in the system, so servants aren't hard. Its just hashing out grail war rules that would be a hassle.

Is that a kel-tec gun?

Saved!
Thank you much.

Thanks user

Something very similar to it, at least. I'm not a gun dude, so i can't really say.

No problem. Happy to help

I decided not to vote but my answer would have been "no because Kamigakari is new to me".

This game looks stylish as hell and the class options look cool, but does it actually have RPG elements or is it just a dumb MMO combat board game.

Yeah, i assumed the overwhelming majority would be in that camp, so i didn't put it as an option for the sake of brevity.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

RPG elements such as? Technically speaking, even an MMO Combat board game is an "RPG" Because you are playing the role of someone fighting stuff. Gotta be more specific than that.

you know what i mean. like story elements, non-combat challenges, NPC interactions. basically the reasons people play rpgs and not videogames.

Yup, kamigakari has that.

Most of what an episode consists of is non-combat encounters, usually talking with people, investigating the current incident, searching for clues, and stuff like that.

The combat portions are largely concentrated near the end of any given episode, once the party has more or less assembled, though i've seen some people do the opposite and have the end split the party up.

Also remember that you don't absolutely have to use the monster of the week format the book suggests.

true, but I'd rather give the book information first, then tell the guy that he can experiment. Its a bit more genuine, I think.

Sure, sure. Have a cybermaid.

user, i'm the guy that originally grabbed those.

Also, minigun maid.

The book's format looks like a good base, but it feels a little limited, in the way that it's always an Aramitama as the boss

The game encourages you to use a mononoke as the base, then beef it up using the boss and/or aramitama templates.

You don't need it to be an aramitama. God hunters, regular mononoke with the boss template, completely original creations, all of them are possible. Its just that the main enemies of the game are aramitama, so more often than not an aramitama will be the episode boss.

Legit, that's what I wanted to hear. If we do a roll 20 on the chan the episode format would be great so that people could come and go.

Yeah, its pretty good for stuff like that. Then again, its a game that assumes japanese schedules, and those are so fucked up that its necessary for things to work like that.

So yeah, go japan, i guess.

So why can't you dual wield switch-hand weapons?

Well, if i had to say, because the rules say you can't.

If you want a more solid answer though, i would say its because then one handed weapons would be completely useless. As it is, switch-hand weapons have some niche usability, but if they couldd be dual wielded then one-hand weapons would be utterly obsolete in terms of usability.

how useful are movement techs like combat leap?

It seriously depends on the map and the circumstances. Things like Shadow Gate or other moves that let you teleport/swap places with people are nice, though.

Like said, its all in the circumstances.

However, most movement based abilities will have some amount of usage on a general level. i've found that to be true about 80% of the time

Is that the girl from yume nikki as a madoka magical girl?

That is a terrifying thought.

>Is that the girl from yume nikki as a madoka magical girl?

Yes.

>That is a terrifying thought.

Also yes.

>Platform shoes
>Same height.

Why...

So what is this game actually about? All I know is there's a bunch if fanart.

Y'know, normally it wouldn't bother me, but you are right, that is pretty dumb.

Its a bit sad. Every time i see an image of a witch, i always check to see if there's a moon on the hat.

optical illusion. platform shoe version is taller. you can break the illusion by opening the image in GIMP or photoshop and making a straight horizontal tine that touches the top of the head of the one with the platform shoes.

platform shoe version is also titling her head forward. which is helping the illusion.

Even accounting for that, the height is still somewhat off. The ball of the left foot on the platform version is a fair amount higher than the ball of the foot on the lefthand version. That should put her more noticably above the lefthand side, even with the head tilted.

Even taking those small inconsistencies into account, there's still a fair amount of leeway in the height.

Cinderella huh?

got more to share?

guess the artist flubbed it then. or maybe the transformation is affected by a complex she has about height. wishing she wasn't so tall but at the same time liking the view it gives her.

I was hoping someone would get it, but apparently not.

Rather than images i don't have saved, i'll just give the sauce. They are from a recent PSVita title called "Mary Skelter:Nightmares"

Its a neat etrian odyssey style dungeon crawler thing with a horror based Fairy tale setting. Sort of. Its weird, i'll be honest.

being meguca is suffering.

you have a strange assortment of images, image dumping user.

well if you collect images that you think might possibly be useful inspiration later for long enough and that happens.

That was just the right shade of pink to make me think that was Louise from Zero no tsukaima for a hot second.

Give me a quick rundown of what this is in 20 words or less.

Here's one with 23

That sounds boring as fuck, but to everyone their own.

Eh, whatever floats your boat dude.

So long as someone likes it, then i've done my job. Even if you don't, you at least asked and gave it the minimum courtesy, and i appreciate that.

Can someone briefly explain to me what Kamigakari is? Can't download rulebook right now.

Man really? From the top, i guess.

Kamigakari is a system that focus's on a monster of the week episodic format with a setting thats modern japanese fantasy with anything from demons to gods, and anything conceivable in between. It particularly focus' on the japanese mythos, but can include pretty much anything.

The general basis is that a party of godhunters starts out doing their own thing, investigating an incident separately, eventually coming together after coming to their own conclusions and reasons, and culminating in a fight with a big bad. You don't have to follow this format, but it is the one the book usually uses.

So... God Eater with more mythologic elements?

Thats a good way of putting it, yeah.

Not so post apocolyptic though. I'd say its closer to a mix of God eater and shakugan no shana, without the torch thing. The main baddies, Aramitama, run under the same principle as Aragami anyways.

Ok, then why/how the hell in this setting teenagers/highschoolers can kick kami-level supernaturals' ass? Divine boon? bloodline?