I've banned PCs from being humans

>I've banned PCs from being humans
How do you react?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iMSfKiAOyow
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I roll a gypsy.

this is an inhuman thing to do

I'm okay with it as long as I can play a snakeman or something and not just boring elves and dwarves and shit.

Totally fine with it as long as the non-human races are actually interesting.

I normally play humans because most worldbuilders do a terrible job of making the non-human races at all interesting or unique.

That'd be nice, especially if it's a game where humans get a bonus feat or equivalent. That always tempts me more than other racial benefits, so removing it would be rather freeing

Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, here I come.

What if you can only be AD&D style short elves, halflings, gnomes, dwarves or other small races in a world where humans used to be the dominant race many years ago but have since died out?

This. I usually play humans because there are more than two personalities a human can have, whereas every dwarf is Gimli and every elf is Legolas or Elrond.

Lamia with big titties.

Wrong choice. You need to strictly enforce a 2/3rds human policy.

I can see that with Dwarves, but really what other way would Dwarves be done? I suppose you could go kind of Byzantine with them and have them be pseudo-Romans that live underground or something maybe? Just an idea.

But elves I've seen done with a very large range of personality across various types of media.

So I rolled up a giant halfling, he's like a halfling, but twice as tall. Definitely not a human, it says right there on the character sheet, 'halfling'.

I wasn't planning on making a Human anyway.

Motherfucker, put your dwarves ON the mountains and have them raise goats. It's not that fucking hard to keep them above ground. Do they need to be called gnomes to not be a race made up entirely of the stereotype?

Warcraft gets a lot of shit for its writing, much of it deserved. But I give it a lot of credit for giving players a wide option of unique non-human races with distinct visual personalities without feeling like caricatures of themselves. Trolls and Tauren are awesome and are the main reason I'm still a diehard Hordefag despite quitting years ago. If more GMs put as much effort in giving their non-humans personality then I would play them more often.

(Not the guy you're replying to)
There's a problem with non-human PCs being played as their race and not as individuals. It's too hard for most people to sympathise enough to make non-human characters that aren't just humans with pointy ears. So people lean on Legolas and Elrond as a crutch.

Dibs on slav drow

Why are my players banning anything?
>implying I’ll ever get to not GM

>having this little imagination
>only ripping off other shit, never creating
I feel bad for you, and for your group for having you in it. You are That Guy who always has a boring stereotype character.

>"What's the worst that could happen?"

>tfw I thought that was Hawkeye

Time to conspire with the other players. Sounds like it's time for that super fighting robot party I've been wanting.

Play a half-elf.

Count me in.

I play a half-elf raised by goblins

No, I'm the guy who plays a human because everyone else is just humans but even less interesting.

> no humans
> only the other dozen humanoids

I'd leave the game. It's a shitty double-standard that doesn't even make sense in-lore.

Does if humans are extinct.

You know what's a shitty double-standard?
>make Dwarves basically extinct in my setting
"Okay cool that's a neat idea, makes for some interesting lore"
>make humans basically extinct
"Whoa, whoa, whoa, you can't do that!"

>humans are extinct, as are orcs and elves
>dwarves are so rare as to be practically extinct
>goblins don't even have the limited intelligence they used to anymore
>civilization consists of half-elves, half-orcs, and halflings (who haven't progressed much in the ages following the fall of the other civilized races, but are the only ones who were there)

Why would there be half elves and half orcs if elves humans and orcs are extinct? Did they just interbreed until both populated ceased to exist and only the mixed offspring were left?

I quit the campaign.

I mean anything typically given to Gnomes could just be given to Dwarves, but then you're Dwarves would just be rip off Gnomes.

>"There are no humans, dwarves, elves, or halflings in my setting. They've been dead so long that their existence is only campfire rumours to spook the young ones."

>"The world is a primeval wasteland dotted with massive ruined cities, the bones of dead beasts miles long, and craters scoured in the earth from battles long forgotten."

>"The political landscape is divided by orc and goblinoid clans at constant war. Your clan allegiance is at least as important as your race."

>"Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, and other monstrous humanoids are your only racial options."

How do you react?

Why wouldn't the world be overrun by the goblin master race if they have no limits

Do human skeletons count?

>how high can my intelligence be?

>did they just interbreed until only the mixed offspring were left?

Yes exactly.

user, I was using "don't even have" to indicate that they had regressed.

Aight.
My character is an animal from the feywild, I'll just reskin this sea elf druid as "actually a shark that can take the form of a human for socialization"

Plot hooks: might be mistaken for wereshark, trying to get back to feywild after wacky misadventure, understands elf and high elf culture but not human so always seems weirdly foreign to everybody

We good?

No. You are free to play as a skeleton.

I stand up and walk away from the group, never speaking to the DM again.

I play a CN Kitsune Bard, the "Fuck you, DM" of PCs

I ask which expansion books are allowed, depending on system, and then once I get the list look up every single monstrous humanoid from that list, and THEN?

Then the interrogations begin. With any luck, I get to play a sasquatch.

>"As high as vanilla allows, user, but if you're really set to play an orc without their usual intelligence deficit, we could swap their racial scores around. Maybe even make a related clan, if you're interested in that..."

>GM makes up a story about how sasquatches are actually a half-ogre orc tribe living secluded in the mountains

I ask why. If he has a story in mind where being non-human is a plot point, I'll go along with it. If he's just being an ass, then I'm out

Well, that's a weird setting choice.
Dwarf it is then.

Pretty sure dwarves are still "short scottish bearded dudes with axes and also they're good at building." Aside from that yeah, warcraft isn't too bad.

You know what I'll take it, but the big feet, massive amounts of hair, and love of beef jerky are a must.

Not him, but I would accept literally any explanation if it mean playable sasquatches were a thing.

My main point was how Horde handled non-humans. Alliance did very little for me; only race they had I liked was draenei.

As a rule, I gravitate towards races which have a lot of personality. GMs are often really bad at giving non-humans much of that. You either get races which are just humans with rubber foreheads, or you get really weird, outthere races like thri-keen which are just *too* different, if that makes any sense.

what the points thenm?

Humans have died out due to a changing environment of apocalyptic scale, you instead play as human-animal hybrids created as successor species meant to inherit this flooded world and keep some semblance of the human spark alive after their demise.

>love of beef jerky

I would think squatches would hate beef jerky since it apparently compels humans to fuck with them.

Small characters in a world meant for people of a much bigger stature, left to pick through the ruins of their dead civilization.

But if they hated it, the bait wouldn't work.

This is actually kinda interesting despite the furry shit

I remember CAT. Been a while, huh?

IIRC they never once actually offered the sasquatch the beef jerky. The very first one they did offer him a liberally-shaken can of beer though.

Depends on how well i know the dm. I'd give strangers thw benefit of he doubt, but it's a red flag. Creative people might get more leeway.

Just as an example- run a game where PCs can't be human, there's no humans around, push it as intrigue and warfare focus. Around the sixth-seventh session, when they've gotten established, reached 3-4th level, suddenly reveal that they're on north america and the humans are europe. Fucking sky boats, guns, massive armies and huge empires come sailing into their land and declaring war.

This actually sounds like it could be cool.

>cats playing in water
what

You know, big cats do like water? It's more of a medium to small cat thing to not.

If this was for a short game, then sure, I'm in.

If this was the pitch for a long-term affair, I would leave. A GM who doesn't involve the players in worldbuilding doesn't deserve players.

It's specifically cats from relatively arid areas. There's small cats snd even breeds if domestic cat that love water.

In and of itself it's not a dealbreaker, but it's an odd enough choice (without a stated reason) that I'd consider it a red flag and keep an eye out for other reasons to get out while I can.

What would you rather the successor be then?

Also
>he thinks kemonomimi is furry

Not the game for me, maybe some other time

>I've banned all non-human races from being PCs
How do you respond?

Players who insist on being able to determine the setting and tone don't deserve GMs. If it ain't for you go somewhere else, no one's going to get upset it's not what you're into.

Cool. What races do you suggest?
If a GM says we have to play humans, we play humans. If a GM says no humans, we're not playing humans. I'd like to hear the basic idea of a story or a genre through. If we could all be aliens in a sci-fi game that would be pretty dope.

An all goblinoid campaign sounds fun.

Joke's on you, I'm a foreverGM and I live in a Utopia of players who are invested in the settings we create together.

Lizard people. They make more sense to survive in a flooded world and rebuilding wouldn't be a problem since they're already running the current world anyway

Welp, time to break out the pitchforks, user.

Wouldn't mind it either as long as the human society presented is actually interesting. Personally though I'd probably get pretty bored because I've played and run in a lot of Humans Only settings.

CAT?

>I've banned all non-white races from being PCs
How do you respond?

I roll something that's not a human. Not that hard. I don't see anything wrong as long as there's a reason and it fits the campaign.

I roll a half orc and use a nigger miniature

I also collaborate with my group on settings, but that is neither reasonable nor wise in the world of pick up games, where I was before getting a permanent group of friends together, and where many GMs are, especially ones in remote areas who need to play online.

Nothing changes from our normal games.

>he doesn't want to play Arthurian fantasy, Greco-Roman epics or Edas style legendary heroes

Is that fantasy MegaMan?

youtube.com/watch?v=iMSfKiAOyow

Try to ignore the utterly obnoxious music.

The issue is going into a game with the expectation of being able to change parts of it. If your dm lets you give input then there's no problem with that, but if you join a game then complain and try to get your way when you are told how a setting is, then neck yourself.

>You know the writing on your GM screen is backwards, right?

Doesn't change very much honestly

>DO NOT QUESTION ME

>How do you react?
1-Create a dwarf.
2-Get dsadvantages that remove the advantages they have over humans.
3-Play with a dwarf like if I was playing with a small people human

Sorry user, there's no cure for being a manlet.

Coming from a kemonomimi fan: kemonomimi are furry lite. Don't pretend there's no connection to the appeal of cutesy animalistic humans with animal ears and tails and the appeal of cutesy animalistic humans with fur and snouts too.

>Without being caricatures

Literally every race is a caricature of some human culture or stereotype

Tauren - native americans
Trolls - vaguely Jamaican/Cajun voodoo worshipers
Pandaran - Does anything need to be said here?
Dwarves - typical fantasy dwarves
Elves - pretty much the same Tolkien esque
Humans - generic fantasy humanity with a monoculture (means one culture)

I'd go on but its not even worth the effort. You're either baiting or a fucking ignorant moron too blinded by your fanboy goggles to see what should be obvious

The comparison is incredibly shallow though. Kemonomimi's lack of full body fur and snout make them far more relatable to base human sexuality, to say "that's the only difference" as though those are small differences is disingenuous.

I roll an african american.

All of this is literally only true in WoW, and the elf part is not true at all. The only substantive comparison you can make between Warcraft and Tolkien elves is that they were super powerful once but are on the decline now. Maybe you can argue night elf architecture is pretty Tolkein, but high elves are nothing like Tolkien.

Are humans common in the setting?
If so I walk away

Aesthetically speaking, you're right. It's like the difference between a butt fetish and a fart fetish. But the appeal of furry is not limited to the physical appearance of an anthropomorphic animal. The fantasy of being a catgirl and acting like a kitty ("look I'm a kitty nyaaa~" *scents you and curls up in your lap*) or the fantasy of doting upon a catgirl like that ("Whosagoodkitty? You are! Yesyouare!" *gives you all of the scritches*) is pretty fucking furry.

Again, this is coming from someone who likes kemonomimi. I'm planning to be running a kemonomimi game a week from today.

I play a half-human.