Demon Hunter Veeky Forums

Hey, hunters. What are some critters you've put down recently? I'm trying to get this bestiary together but there are a bunch of Strigoi crawling around outside, staring in through the windows. Its making it hard to concentrate on research.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kOb8AkPV9og
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Allosaurus.

Had to deal with an infestation of Fomorians in one area. It was not an experience I would like to repeat any time soon.

>Fomorians
What did they look like? I keep getting conflicting info on their appearance. One guy said they had the head of a goat, and another that they had one arm, leg and eye. I guess they aren't mutually exclusive...

Everyone always talks about demons and lycanthropes. No one ever talks about the really insidious stuff. The stuff that is subtle. The stuff that ends nations a bit at a time.

Fomorians change forms even more than most humans change clothes user. The closest I got to seeing their "true" form, was a mass of ever expanding fractal tentacles that seemed to all link up with each other and expanded outwards for as far as the eye could see, before they snapped back into being various monsters and atrocities.

How did you purge them? I have some historical data of them being killed by blades.

Lured them away from the cave and river system they'd made into a "nest" of sorts, drew them into the forest and through a combination of shamanic rituals invoking the Tuatha De, as well as several detonation charges filled with holy water, managed to scatter them into the night with most of their 'physical' forms either greatly reduced or outright destroyed.

I suppose not everyone can be Cu Cuchulain. Still, drawing on the Sidhe is a desperate move even if they are natural enemies. Hope the price you paid wasn't too great.

>Still, drawing on the Sidhe is a desperate move even if they are natural enemies. Hope the price you paid wasn't too great.
Eh, don't worry bout it. Danu seemed to be in favor of new that night, judging by the vines and plant-life that seemed to come to my aid. The most I'll have to pay will probably be making some kind of offering to them as thanks for their assistance.

Succubi, annoying bastards.

My dear fellow Hunters.....I think we have bigger problems.

So I was recently contracted to deal with a Wendigo that has been recently preying on local townspeople. Unfortunately, there isn't just one Wendigo, there's three, and to make matters worse, I'm all out of firebombs. Any ideas?

Have you tried covering yourself in bees?

>implying I would ever bee without at least four layers of bees covering my skin

???

Wendigo don't like fire but I've heard Silver is actually more effective on them. Piercing the heart with a silver stake or blade is the generic thing I've heard but there are native myths about killing them via simple head trauma.

I'd say spike traps with gasoline at the bottom and a way to light them up. Use people as bait if you have to.

Find a way to trap them within the local area, Wendigo have a tendency to abandon their host bodies if they're too damaged, and you *don't* want them escaping whatsoever.

I know a lot of hunters these days like to use weapons and stuff, but I've been getting into some of the less demon-y forms of occult to handle a lot of the demonic shit in my neck of the woods, I've been using Hermetic elementalism to some pretty decent effect.
The only problem is binding salamanders. I live on-campus and the little guys give off so much smoke that the detectors go off and the RA thinks I'm hiding weed.
I get a lot of shit on some of the other hunter boards, most seem to think magic's the "Weenie method" but the way I see it, so long as I avoid the more demon-y stuff like Goethic summoning, and keep some of the harder incantations saved on my phone, I'm doing pretty good.
It's a different set of problems, I guess. But I prefer memorizing babylonian flame conjuring to having to explain why I have a trunk full of swords and shotguns.

God we had a Succubi hiding out in a local frathouse. We ended up having to lure her out by getting one of us shitfaced drunk, hiding in the closet, and pouncing on the bitch when she came in.

Crazy bitch almost threw me out a window.

>Be me, first hunt
>Some gang fight went down in a local park, enough blood gets shed that one of the saplings planted by the community center turns into a goddamn Jubokko.
>Thing's been draining cats and being a pain in the ass
>I'm stupid and decide Yokai needs to be killed with a katana. Buy some shitty mall sword.
>Wait till nightfall, try to cut down the tree with the sword
>Hit the tree
>Oh god why is it bleeding
>Oh god why is it spraying EVERYWHERE?
>Shit fuck okay keep chopping
>Sword breaks
>Jubokko starts trying to drink my blood, gets me good in the arm.
>Fucker is still a sapling so when I fall back, my fat as basically uproots the goddamn thing
>Have to walk to my car all casual and pretend I'm not covered in tree blood with a perfectly circular series of quarter-shaped wounds in my fucking arm

The moral of the story is, don't be a fucking weeaboo, and leave Yokai to the Onmoyouji.

>strigoi
at least you got some variety out there. most interesting thing I had out here in the past year was a man with rabies that could shape-shift into an entire pack of coyotes, ate some kids, and a LOT of house pets.

shitty part was that if one coyote got away it could form the dude back up and be a pack again inside of a week. had to one-shot drop him out of the blue from downwind, but at least regular bullets did the job.

I have an inside source, I invite over occasionally for the odd meal. I make a thing of it, fresh loaf of good crusty bread a good hearty stew or chili. buys me plenty of favor and info most of the time.

you might try that, cause good connections are worth their weight in gold sometimes...or silver as the case may be.

>phone
man, phones may be the new thing, but if you get a good tablet with a hand-hold like Car dealers tend to carry you have something that you can read better eve in the heat of the moment.

I have a waterproof zip-up black-book miniature binder I keep a set of "essential" shit in, and based on the job I trade out laminated pages from my research binders with cliffs-notes. a little pricey but cheaper than a smart device and it never runs out of battery.

research man, you should do more of it...

>Directly engaging Yokai.
>Ever.
Do you *want* to die, friend?

Eh, a lot of yokai are just pests. Them japs really over use the term. An oni and some little spirit whose only action is to trip you in tall grass are not in the same league.

So I guess these......*things* infesting this city I went to once don't count as "Yokai" then? Since almost all of them seem to enjoy eating people.

Listen man, all I'm saying is that a Abura sumashi or Akateko and an Oni or Tesso are pretty different in terms of the threat the present.

Its like calling a sling shot and a rocket launcher by the same name.

Oh yeah, I can understand that. The Japanese basically called everything a "Yokai". Even beings that would better be dubbed as minor gods got labeled as yokai.

New guy, on the topic of extremely low level deities, how do you deal with them?
I'm talking about one shrine that has gone unkempt and his blighting the area?
Do you just appease it and inform the local monks?

Just try to appease it, get it to calm down. Maybe get some local priests or monks to bless it and cleanse any gathered Impurity. If you can get people to start paying respect to it once more, that might also help.

So fellow hunters are you prepared?

The whole thing with the infectious spirals has cropped up in other places. Hate how that man mixed fact (we kept that spiral business suppressed, damn it!) with fiction. Mostly we ended up handling the spiral outbreaks with full scorched earth. Anyone know what actually caused those?

>Anyone know what actually caused those?
Apparently a titanic demonic Spiral City that was in fact *alive* was behind the whole mess. We've managed to suppress it's influence for now, but we don't know how long we can keep it dormant.

Still makes me wake up in the middle of the night and run to the bathroom to look in the mirror. Getting a reputation for handling that is a serious curse. When any of you hit something really, really nasty, don't let it get out that you took care of it. If it gets around, you might get calls because "we heard you dealt with this before, and everyone we contacted told us to contact you, can you.."

Several images/depictions of events within one of the main towns afflicted have also popped up.

How do you guys feel about halfbreeds?

If they aren't unholy demonspawn, then they're okay in my book. In fact;
I actually have a half-breed kid

Oh damn That's actually a good idea. See, I've been trying to modernize some of the basics and I've gotten mixed results. IT turns out if you take a hula hoop and fill it entirely with salt, you've got an instant circle of protection, and it's harder to break, too.

Circles can be made of most anything and function. I remember one guy who had a hoop of braided wire that he kept folded up. He could pull out and it would instantly snap out into a 5 foot diameter circle. Saved his skin a few times.

Greetings, well mets and salutations, dear hunters. I have returned, and with me, my traveling shop of wonders. A spectacle of oddities both benign and beneficial are ready for you, assuming you have something to barter in return.

The japs think their demons are worth something, being nothing more than tough drunks and assholes at worst. Part of living on a island I suppose.

Things that do things only out of malice and could doom your eternal being to endless torment is a pretty far fetched concept for them.

Yes, I would like to trade this (pic related) for some of your finest wares my good man/thing. I will also throw in my inter-temporal locator if you so desire.

Da, hello my friend ! Look, I have to hunt down some weird blood-drinking dog-things in the woods of Ukraine, but those "polite people" and damn separatists just won't let me pass checkpoints to get to the damn buggers. Not that I'm complaining, at least I am not dealing with Chechens !
You have something like false papers to help a hunter in need ? I can give you this stolen AK and one grenade for it.
This Xorosho ?

Well I mean have you read about the Ama-no-jaku? It killed a princess, flayed her, and wore her skin to pose as her during her wedding before eating the groom.

Then there's Juraikumo, who just straight up eat people.

Kuchisake onna won't kill you but they'll fuck up your face really bad...

Anyone here knows how to protect myself from the Evil eye? A Southern-European hunter I met told me that if I think someone is cursing me I should grab my genitals, but I'm not sure if he was being serious.

Your lack of faith is... disturbing, hunter.

>Met two trolls and killed one werewolf
>Basically newfag af.
>Live in the good part of the peninsula, there's almost nothing here.

Do I fullfil my duty of going further up into the north? No doubt there's a shit ton there, but right now, it seams that I'm unironically out of demons to hunt in this part of the country.

I don't want to abandon my home.

There's always others to save dear Hunter. You should continue moving on, if only to save and guard those few who can't protect themselves, and to clear your mind and soul of all the Sorrow regarding those who you might have been unable to save.

Stay around. It might seem like the coast is clear, but the things that go bump in the night are always around. Always waiting or plotting. Always at your throat when you expect it the less.

Don't let the depression sink in. Eat some fish soup, don't drink too much, and always stay frosty. Action will come to you soon enough.

Fuck, damn tricksters spirits are infiltrating the chans again !

Ahhh, that is quite a lovely specimen, a perfect addition to my collection of wares. The locator as well. Lets see, I can give you this Box of Dreaded Horrors in exchange for the suit, do not let the name turn you away, the horrors are harmless...as long as you are in possession of the box, that is, but I can guarantee you that such things will help out in a terrible situation...as for the locator...let me see...could I interest you in this rolex watch? It looks like a normal rolex, of course, but when the hands meet, it will reveal secret doors that are littered across the world, these doors are quite helpful at rapid transportation.

An AK you? Stolen you say? And a single grenade, oh delightful truly, weapons are always a hot commodity. Lets see, lets see, identity problems...ah, here, this notebook, very special you see. If you write down a specific kind of document, and tear the paper from the notebook, it will appear to be that document for a time. Write down a passport, with specific details, tear the page out and fold it, like a passport, and you get a passport, works the same with badges, or tickets, or what have you. There are one hundred sheets, so keep track of them, very rare item and hard to reacquire.

What else can there be? I live in a region that's just wide, flat farmland. There's no trolls, like you probably think, here. There might be a Näcken, but that's just a maybe.

And the Trolls there are aren't like Troll Hunter or whatever you think. They're southern Trolls, used to be as far down as Saxony, people tell me, but now only found here in Scania and Denmark. They're squat and roughly the size of a human, and while I know I should kill them, they do not strike me as malevolent beings. I really should, and in fact I know where they are, but there hasn't been any case that even comes close to a troll swapping in dozens of years.

A troll swap, for the information of any aspiring Scandinavian hunter, is when a Troll kidnaps a human baby and leaves their own spawn behind. It's quite easy to recognise since they're usually all kinds of fucked up.

Oh, da, da ! This is exactly the sort of thing that I need ! Spasiba my friend !

Hu ho, here come the Russ... I mean, the polite ones. Back to adventure again !

A trickster we are not. Merely a traveller of the furthest spheres and helper towards those who need it.

>Ahhh, that is quite a lovely specimen, a perfect addition to my collection of wares. The locator as well. Lets see, I can give you this Box of Dreaded Horrors in exchange for the suit, do not let the name turn you away, the horrors are harmless...as long as you are in possession of the box, that is, but I can guarantee you that such things will help out in a terrible situation...as for the locator...let me see...could I interest you in this rolex watch? It looks like a normal rolex, of course, but when the hands meet, it will reveal secret doors that are littered across the world, these doors are quite helpful at rapid transportation.
Yes, that Box Of Horrors will be most useful later on, and that watch sounds most impressive. I would also like to trade away pic related if you don't mind. Perhaps you can find a use for it elsewhere?

An old colleague of mine said the sure fire way to protect from an Evil eye is to carry around a slice of lemon, coated in salt with a sewing needle thats been consecrated in a mixture of holy water, the fluids from goat eyes, and, as weird as it sounds, cat piss. You carry it on your person, the sewing needle inside the lemon, and if someone is cursing you with an Evil eye, the needle will give you a little prick, then all you gotta do it pull the needle out and crush the lemon slice in your hand. It should turn away the Evil eye and also blind whoever is cursing you in one eye.

I put down a huge, four-armed monstrosity with a head covered in laser-spewing eyes that's invisible unless you're aware of it. Bastard and a half to deal with, I tell ya what.

Hmmmm, could this beast pictured be what you are referring to dear Hunter? A great terror to be sure.

Gonna assume you don't have easy access to incendiary rounds, so you could always make some homebrewed napalm shotgun rounds or something.

Not him but... what, is that supposed to be a lone man standing in a cavern ? I don't get it.

That's it, yeah. Still gives me the heebie-jeebies just looking at it.

You have to trap them and then tie them down. I'd suggest recruiting a few of the hardiest and most trustworthy of the locals and setting traps for them in the woods. Once you've got them pour boiling fat down their throats to melt the ice around their hearts. If they aren't to far gone you can actually cure them like this, but if not you'll at least be able to put them out of their misery.

>19 hours and 20 minutes ago
... he's probably already dead.

A lone "hunter" rather. Though the things he faces aren't Demons, and are not *quite* as sanity-shattering as they are. Nor do they possess the same level of malevolence.

Ohohoho! What a delightful gizmo you have acquired! Oh yes, this is a most wondrous find, worthy of only the best of my wares... Aha! How does this sound, you can have this. This is a valuable item that took me a great deal of trouble to acquire. I affectionately refer to it as a pocket angel. Should you encounter a demon, or some fiendish entity of particular strength that you cannot best, simply draw this from your pocket and hold it close to your heart. If you believe in it, an angel shall appear to you, and protect you from the threat. Try not to overuse it, though, or they may take it back, angels aren't too keen on being bothered by every little threat.

Caw! Caw caw! Caaaaaaa!

youtube.com/watch?v=kOb8AkPV9og

>killing wendigo
>ever

Oh how utterly delightful! A direct connection towards the Higher Heavens, truly a marvelous little thing. It shall certainly come in handy when dealing with things too powerful for any lone Hunter to best. I thank you good sir. Mat many blessings come upon you and yours.

Hi, me again, with a serious question. Do demons cross-contaminate countries based on immigration? Absolute newfag, but I'm just saying, there's a shit ton of immigrants in Malmö, and we all know this, no political subtext to it.

Do they bring middle eastern demons as well? What should I be worried about?

They are the demons

Wrong answer

>Not having a curse jar to trap the Wendigo curse inside after you kill one
I got like six full jars of Wendigos, one day I'll find out what to do with all of them

You betcha mind you while demons seem to really like moving with people, cross contamination can also occur without actual people. Items that have been moved from their native lands can also carry or simply attract demons from their point of origin.

Basically while (most) demons tend to be a bit sedentary in where they range they will migrate with people and things moving out of that range.

Demons. Sanity shattering? They're practically our scond cousins, cosmologically speaking. Humans have been dealing with their kind for so long that your man on the street wouldn't even think twice noticing one. Think it was some kid in a costume.
The real trouble is the existances from much less contiguous planes of existence. Not because of active malevolence, but because often as not they are simply anathema to our very matter. You ever wonder why their shapes are twisted, blatantly alien things? The very structure of their forms requires elements that don't even exist in our dimension. Least that's what a scientist I pulled out of a disused salt mine told me. He was a bit worse for wear, but his long winded rambling put some things together for me. Apparently half the "cosmic unspeakable horror" types are here by falling down their dimensional equivilent of an open manhole. Lost, confused, and angry. Also antithetical to our very existence.
Give me some soul sucker who follows our dimensional rules any day.
Funny thing that white coat mentioned, though he refused to go into detail, was to do with crop circles. Apparently there's a kind that looks ordinary, just a small circle. They should be watched and avoided. Said something about soap bubbles.

Demons are like masses of flowing chaos my friend. They gather and cluster around and within things that have the potential to sow discord and unrest. The mass movement of unthinking hordes, along with any material possessions or inherently flawed and backwards belief systems (especially ones that act as little more than means to worship and attract said malignant forces) will *always* carry demonic forces along with them.

Most of the "demons" we deal with have had their essences *heavily* diluted by mass inbreeding with humans in days of old. The original progenitors of most of the Demonic lineages today, the ones you might label as being "True Demons", are either locked away in nigh-impossible to reach dimensional planes, or slumber in long-forgotten, dead universes, awaiting the day when they can awaken to ravage Creation once more. In fact, I would dare say that most of our cosmic horror friends, fled from their realms of non-existence and impossible physics just to *escape* the Original Demons in times of old.

What is a demon?

No, I'm not dead. Far from it in fact, I got two of the bastards using a dust explosion, and the third is trapped in a pit similar to what described. Gonna try this once I find a few of the locals willing to help. The fat is boiling as I type.

Back to being dead, O' King of Night.

Demon is a heavily overused term. The definition I prefer is: "they are agents of a malevolent God, Sovereign, or Ascended entity, generally either created by it or of its ilk."

Here's a question Veeky Forums how can I give demons a more chaotic feel, other than just randomly changing the colors of established demons and giving them random resistances?

What do you mean by chaotic, exactly?

i should have specified, demons in D&D, where demons are chaotic evil. In the 3.5 fiendish codex they justify demons reverting to the same types of creature all the time by saying that the Abyss itself wants to spread chaos and destruction and some creations are just better suited to that, than a blind mass of limbs.
But i still think it feels a little silly for demons to all effectively look the same with the same abilities. How would you spice them up?

Reminder, never use shotguns, no matter how cool, or how effective you may think they are, they just aren't fucking worth it. I find much better usage out of a good old school lever action. But preferably you have a handgun of sorts.

Depends on the demon, but for the most part you just need to emphasize their key aspects.
For a wendigo like , you play up the fact that wendigos are gigantic, nigh-indestructible, spirits of cannibalism who will single-mindlessly hunt for and consume human flesh, and can only be truly destroyed by shattering their hearts of ice with a silver stake, storing the pieces in a silver box buried in holy soil, and then cutting their corpse apart and either salting an burning the pieces, or scattering the pieces in remote locations.
If you had a succubus, you don't make it a sexy seductress, you make it a hideous creatures with claws and serpentine tails who collect semen from recently deceased men and use it to impregnate women with demonic children.

Also, here's an important tip from a vet demon hunter. Despite common belief, you can, in fact, consecrate entire magazines of ammunition. Many old school hunters believe not consecrating individual bullets weakens the effects, but that is an old wives tale, save time. Also hand grenades can be consecrated as well, they just don't have the stopping power of a holy bullet, but the sheer destructive power of a grenade makes up for the lack of holy influence.

Well, if we're gonna stick close to reality, then do it like this. Demons are purpose made flesh, creations of some absurdly powerful being that are sent out into the world with a distinct purpose. That purpose dictates their form. A demon sent to this plane to create fires would embody that purpose. Maybe they'd be something akin to a fire elemental or a Balrog. A demon sent to torture children would embody that purpose. They might be a shape shifter that looks like a child's parents but has a body of razorblades under their skin.

Whatever the demon is supposed to do, just make its body reflect that purpose in the most depraved yet efficient way possible.

>Also hand grenades can be consecrated as well, they just don't have the stopping power of a holy bullet, but the sheer destructive power of a grenade makes up for the lack of holy influence.
Fairly certain most knew this because the Holy Hand Grenade is an *actual* thing. Of course, none of those consecrated grenades have the kick to annihilate a continent when thrown, but still.

I'm not going to say don't use a chainsaw, but if you do use a chainsaw, make sure you're using the right kind of chain. Don't just grab something from the hardware store and expect it to cut through demons.

You'd be surprised. I've had my share of arguments with old goats who refuse to believe a normal grenade can be consecrated. Then again some of these folks also still use goat bones to track down targets instead of the tracking chips I try to pass onto them. Kind of the deal, I suppose, when I'm this deep in the south.

Hell, if you can get your hands on an old transistor radio, they work about as well as geiger counters for demonic entities and locations of incursions. Something about their energies plays merry hob with the old transistors, on the AM spectrum. Why else do you think all those religious stations still broadcast on the AM?
My mentor was one who decided to move with the times while the others still played with the goat bones. Granted the times kept moving and his progress ended in the late 70s, technology-wise. Old bastard has some of the damnedest surplus military equipment from back then.
Magazines aint all. Any continous linkage is viable, same as a blessed chain used in binding and banishing. The sulphurous bastards jaws dropped (and mine along with 'em) when the old boy pulled the tarp off the back of his truck and opened up with an M60. Turns out he kept in touch with the chaplain from his time in service.

I still don't know what the hell he does with that old radar unit with all the sigils painted on it, and the silver pentacle welded to the broadcast unit. At this point, I'm afraid to ask.

I think it's what makes a good team to have multiple resurce pools and accepting them.
If somebody want's to use goat bones that's fine, eben more so if it lines up with the GPS signal and local rumors.
Also local rumors are amaizing.
And so is german engineering, not saying old grandad knive is bad or anything. But you need to keep an open mind in this line of work or your mind won't be yours for long.

Remember Hunters, when dealing with little girls who are recovering from their encounters with the Demonic, *always* consult the dogs. Those little creatures know more than you'd think, sometimes more than some experienced Hunters.

What's with the cat?

Okay, so first things first.
the usual tip, be in a group of people who know their shit. does not matter if you are three mages, thee hunters or whatever your local group calls themselve, just don't bee three of those limp-wrtisted, esoteric book nerds.

Well as the handy man of my group i would try to lure them out. Most likely there is already some guy they set their beady eyes on, and trust me they will stay on him till they are done.
Use that fucker as bait.
Also buy claymores and replace the load with a mixture of 4 pieces silver pieces like coins or balls and 2 pieces chunky rock salt.
It WILL NOT kill the wendigo, (thats's what the magic nerd behind me says anyway) but that mixture will guck up about 70% of monsters with a body you will meet in this line of work, i call it "white lightning" or "This months rent".
When the beast is wounded you move in for the kill, if you can't afford silver bullets you should at least get a silver plated blade and start chopping it up. salt those pieces and burn them.
If you manage all that.
Get buddys
Locate
Contain
Kill
Then it's dead.

If that's a picture of your kid; i'm not sure if i want to know what his mother looked like... or what your browsing history looks like.