CRPG

Which cRPGs does Veeky Forums like?
Personally, I'm into Fallout, Realms of Arkania and Ultima series, especially Worlds of Ultima and VII.
Which ones do you think have a freedom of tabletop RPGs?
Which ones do you hate, and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw
crpgbook.wordpress.com/
ultimacodex.com/2012/10/ultima-7-exult-rotate/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Neverwinter Nights is my personal favorite. I haven't found a better RPG for user-made content, or one with such an accessible but powerful toolset. I didn't like Neverwinter Nights 2, though.

The only CRPGs I've enjoyed have been roguelikes, Fallout New Vegas and only New Vegas, and Geneforge.

KOTOR II is my jam

The Ultima series was dope until it died at U8.

Planescape TORMENT is my favorite. Wasteland and Fallout were top-notch too.

Hexen was fun.

For all the bitching about it, I thought Pillars of Eternity was a solid modern example, even if Tyranny was better.

Anvil of Dawn is neat

The only problem I had with Pillars is that combat felt a little too slow and it was kind of buggy on release (not to mention dealing with excessive balance patches in a single player game). I'd say it was a pretty good game otherwise

I prefer roguelikes.

What's a good CRPG for a first timer?

I like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Baldurs Gate and NWN were good too.

System Shock 2 if it partially counts

this too. Played a bit of ADOM and nethack for a while there, also Ivan and a few others.

SS13 too if that counts - its pretty RP heavy at times

>Morrowind
if you like wandering, and waggling your weapon at things,whilst hopeing for a good roll

>neverwinter nights
if you want to play DnD

>Planescape TORMENT
if you want a story

>The Masquerade Bloodlines
if you want to be eased in gently

Underrail and Avernum. I also had fun with Age of Decadence.

Tyranny had absolutely shit companions and parts of the story were lame.

>not sure if this topic is about computer games in general
>or isometric games like planescape

any RPG on a computer I think...

anything I can use to blot out reality
>morrowind
>Torment
>kotor
>arcanum
>vtm
anything like that
never got into NWN

try arcanum, It's a forgotten gem.
youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

There is so much stupid shit going on in Age of Decadence that I just can't enjoy it, no matter how much I try. It's bland, sexless and never seems to care what kind of character you made, it's clearly just what story-line you have triggered.

>posts German M&M
>doesn't mention Gothic 2 Die Nacht des Raben and Drakensang

I liked it, especially the parts where I got the Airship up and running again. Though the lack of impact it had on anything else was a bummer.

Puzzle Quest, Artificial Intelligence Machine, Mount&Blade, Lichdom Battlemage
>Which ones do you think have a freedom of tabletop RPGs?
zomgnone, only Divinity Original Sin 2 is said to have a GM mode to TTRPG with pretty stuff on screen

From what's mentioned here it seems most try to get their Veeky Forums fix from cRPGs.
why tho

What even makes something a CRPG? I have seen Dark Souls and New Vegas listed as some even though they are crappy console ports.

Icewind Dale. Literally "go here kill things" D&D.

Nowadays "customizable character build" is enough to get the RPG label. I've seen people talk about RPG elements in Cawaduty, because you level up and get to choose perks.

I really liked the series in your pic, Might and Magic. Not great writing, even silly at times, but it was a huge sandbox with a lot of things to do, but not too many as to not be able to go on. Plus I liked the skill system.

I didn't care much for either NWN. I guess I was expecting them to be 3D Baldur's Gate instead of the dungeon crawler they were.

Fallout 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, and the Baldur's Gate where you can create your own party.

The term CRPG specifically refers to games that are directly based on or heavily emulate a tabletop experience, the best examples being Infinity Engine games like Baldur's Gate and Torment. The RPG genre as it refers to video games is much broader, and includes stuff like Dark Souls and the Witcher, which have action-oriented gameplay to go with all the stats and levels. People will also say that any game with leveled progression has "RPG elements", while in actuality this should probably be used to refer to games that have choice-and-consequence based narratives (ie actual role-playing, instead of "roll"-playing).

some of the Wizardry games, though my favorite of them is for the Ps2.
I can't really remember a cRPG that I was really into. didn't really like Morrowing, Icewind dale and NWN that much, and I don't know why.
I've played quite a few, but I really can't find one that grabs my interest for long anymore.

>Gothic 2 Die Nacht des Raben
Original Gothic was a better game. More focused at least

Age of Decadence
Baldur's Gate
Bloodlines
Darklands
Dominions Series
Dragon Age 1
Fallout 1 & 2
Planescape
Underrail
Wizardry 7

What's the opinion on torment tides of numenera here? I prepurchased it on steam loong times ago, but during the prerelease it was unplayable.

To add to the recommendations, I'd say guild series, even if it's not an actual rpg. Also vampire the masquerade redemption and the czho games are valid mentions.

Good and interesting companions, shit ton of side quests, a story that's interesting but not necessarily good. The battles are built to be interesting and allow for player choice, but the actual combat is a bit slow and clunky, and there arent very many battles in general.

I'd recommend it, but most of that recommendation is based on the novelty of the setting and the ideas in the writing, as opposed to actual game quality.

>What's the opinion on torment tides of numenera here?
I'm a huge fan of the original and I enjoyed Tides a lot, but it does feel flawed and a bit unfinished. The writing is good overall, but not quite at the level of the original, and sometimes feels like it's trying a bit too hard to be intellectual. The story feels rushed but it's interesting and actually gives your actions major consequences in the world, where in Planescape, it was almost the opposite; the damage was already done, and you just had to come to terms with your responsibility in it. Most of the really emotional moments come from side quests/meres or interactions with your companions, though.

>never seems to care what kind of character you made

There are very distinct paths for being a lore master, a noble (the only one which has to be selected from the start), a "prophet" or a warrior (get ready to die a lot).

I hate almost every new cRPG, they all suck.

Honestly, pillars was the biggest disappointment of the decade for me. It was so Terrible I'm starting to feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I can't even imagine why people would like it.

nothings beat wiz 1 yet

Obviously Grimoire stands far above the rest of the trash itt. Don't know how accessible it is to sapes tho.

Morrowind because as an archival worker it feels like I am doing my job but in a magical setting.

I don't recognise this. Is it Dark Sun or Al-Qadim?

Has anyone ever done a campaign based on the Might and Magic setting? Not the new lame one with the Elemental Dragons, but the wacky shit with angels being robots and devils being aliens.

King of Dragon Pass is seriously underrated.

Have you tried the new Divinity? I had no chance to test it myself (potato computer etc.) both the single player and GM mode look promising to me.

Pillars is great but I wish the system felt more pen and paper-y. Like, everything was like +15.4 frost damage for the next 3.6 seconds in a 6.9m radius. Kind of bugged me.

There are people who will defend anything Obsidian does.

I haven't played any Divinity games, actually, though I intend to. I got all of them in GOG sales except for the new one.

Ballers Gate, Might and Magic 4 and A Bards Tale

No it isn't.

Dark Sun

It's a great game.

Nvm nights
V:tmb
Divinity: original sin (haven't played 2nd yet)
Pool of radiance (?) This one got shit by vidya board, but personally I really liked it

Oh, and Arcanum. Shit is great

>Pool of radiance
Do you mean Pillars of Eternity? Pool of radiance is great, but it's hardly a good cRPG for a newcomer.

crpgbook.wordpress.com/

Crpg are the most tabletop vidya of them all. Some may argue about things like wesnoth, but personally I introduced my gaming circle into TT thanks to RPG, they don't like wargames tho,so it may be different on with who you talk to

Dominions 5 soon,brother

How is it nowadays? I learned english from it, hated when they streamlined talking to npc, and dropped it back then

Geneforge was my first cRPG, and it will forever hold a place in my heart. I played it with my little brother back during the days we were home alone for a dozen hours a day playing pirated games together on computers older than we were. Nowadays we don't even speak to each other anymore. What I would give to go back.

It's great, just remember to get Exult, makes things much easier and better.
Also, they streamlined a lot of things in VII, but it's still one of the best Ultima games.

>you just had to come to terms with your responsibility in it
That wasn't even intentional. They had to cut out all endings other than "you evil asshole" due to time and budget constraints, but then people started saying "wow, you have to atone for all the shit past lives did, how deep".

That perspective is vertigo-inducing.

What game is this?

A be never played PoE.
Radiance was my first crpg,back when I was 8 years old, so it could be my nostalgia speaking,but I really loved it

Thanks

I have*
Fuck I'm tired

>Nvm nights
Is that a game where the sun doesn't go down?

You get used to it quickly, if not, there's this:
ultimacodex.com/2012/10/ultima-7-exult-rotate/
Divine Divinity

>Divine Divinity
A tale of redundant redundancy.

It's supposed to be funny.

Ah, so it's comedic comedy, then.

Neither of those games are CRPGs
CRPGs rely on character skill a lot more, whereas most games nowadays has player skill as the key decider

Nah, I didn't like it either. A lot of the time it felt like they were just writing to make words, because what they wrote wasn't really good, just long.

Might & Magic 6, 7, and 8 are some of my favorites.

I think she's saying she wants the Dich?

>you thought this is a nice fantasy
>it was sci-fi all long, here's your guns
every time

>lol le duks killed u all!!!!!

New Vegas is, it's pretty close to original Fallouts.

Pic related was one of the first videogames I ever played, so that one. As a side effect I detest the Heroes Of games because they were so completely different from the interface of 6-8.
I have used the staff in this pic for more dnd characters than I can count.

That's was Might and Magic from like day 1, retard.

And Fantasy and Sci-Fi being separate things is a fairly recent and utterly arbitrary phenomenon.

Those were... A completely different genre? And also took place more or less in between chapters of Might&Magic.

>And Fantasy and Sci-Fi being separate things is a fairly recent and utterly arbitrary phenomenon.
Doesn't mean it's not a good decision. I don't like my fantasy games to suddenly have starfighters and machine guns.

"Videogame rpgs" are shit and tabletop rpgs will always be better

Just because you have shitty taste, doesn't make it a bad decision either.

Try posting again without your mom's dick in your ass.

Larian originally wanted to just call it Divinity, but their publisher didn't like it, and it was their first game, so they had to change it. They chose Divine Divinity partly as a "fuck you" to their publisher.

That's why it's always Divinity 2 or Divinity: Something Else, the "Divine" part is literally just tacked on for appeasement.

KOTOR

this

Morrowind is fun for the world building and making OP spells/potions.

Fallout New Vegas has great quests.

I always found the party based CRPGs like baldurs gate and pillars of eternity too much effort because I can't be bothered speccing, kitting out and contriolling 4+ characters constantly. I've never been able to finish those games as I get exhausted from the micromanagement.

In table top you're only controlling one character why do they make you have 4+ in CRPGS???

Can anyone suggest a good modern CRPG that's focused on a single player character while at the same time not being super casual like skyrim and fallout 4?

>He doesn't control a fistful of characters at the same time
That is pretty much the way D&D Basic is meant to be played, as having retainers as meatshields is very useful.
To answer your question Age of Decadence is pretty thorough. The game is really tough though.

I should have been clearer I suppose., Henchmen/Minions/Meatshields are fine. Summoning too.

I'm not opposed to big parties but I'm only really interested in roleplaying and speccing my character. I get real tired of doing 4 skill trees, inventory management for 4 characters, stat distribution for 4 characters etc. I'm not against parties, but I only want to roleplay/manage one character, the others just feel like a chore to me because I don't care that much about them.

Thanks for the suggestion, looks interesting, and hard is good.

Most of the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale) have a multiplayer mode where you and some lads can make a character or two each and play through the game. No idea how well it works, because if I wanted to do that sort of thing I'd just play actual AD&D, but it's there.

It works fine, I've played them 3 player.