Colored artifacts edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=21268
twitter.com/AnonBabble

best one I got

Giving this a shot. I tried to make it 'better' than Callous Oppressor but worse than Sower of Temptation. Used the latter's wording instead of the Banisher Priest wording since it was the precedent I found.

This should be written like browbeat effects, where if the opponent doesn't do something, you steal their creature.

Changed it to "Target opponent may have you draw two cards. If he or she doesn’t, gain control of target creature that player controls for as long as RU01 Thrallcatcher remains on the battlefield." That wording does save some space and feel a bit more intuitive, thanks.

Guess everyone in these threads has a social life on the weekend. Savior bump.

lol, no. Got Super Mario Odyssey yesterday. Spoiler alert: It's fucking awesome.

> Guess everyone in these threads has a social life on the weekend.
> has a social life on the weekend
> has a social life
> social life
kek

dumping random red cards from my set

Seems you're aware that this is a cheaper Fold into Aether. But it's not
>If you do,
it's
>If that spell is countered this way,

>Yara
Mass Hysteria on a creature? Eh, wish it did more. And why is this not legendary?

>Gorrajian Dragon
Delve seems a bit out of place, not to mention what it's going to do to balance. Unsure.

>Intensify
Pretty cool, not sure on balance though.

Possibly underpowered imo. You pay 7 for this and it does nothing until your next turn. If he's the lord of lightning why not make it start with a counter or two?

I had another version that ETB with some counters on it before this, and combining the two abilities just eats up too much space. Oh wait, I'll just use different wording, duh.
>Whenever ~ enters the battlefield or attacks, put a lightning counter on it.
Or I guess I could just leave the attack trigger and give it Haste.

If it helps any, one of my other ideas was to give it a XX cost, and it ETB with X lightning counters on it.

> Yara
> Mass Hysteria on a creature?
plus side is that it hits for 3, downside is that it is easier to remove

> And why is this not legendary?
because I forgot (thanks for pointing it out)

> Gorrajian Dragon
> Delve seems a bit out of place
Why? Its a core mechanic of my set (pic related)

> not to mention what it's going to do to balance
This card strength lies on Delve, because you can play it cheaper so you can attack with the haste and still have mana to boost its firebreathing. That is the idea of the card

> Pretty cool, not sure on balance though.
I'm considering making it XRR, and have the effect do only X copies (instead of X+1). Also, special note to the fact it doesn't let you change the target of the copies (that is intentional)

I managed create some nice creature type combinations by rolling stuff out of this myself using the 6-7 mode. You people wanna see stuff?

Example combinations I got (& made):
>Snake - Kirin
>Skeleton - Knight
>Cephalid - Devil
>Atog - Rigger
>Sphinx - Cleric

(You can roll too this shit, remember.)

Some other combinations I got:
>Jackal - Aurochs
>Orc - Insect
>Nightmare - Reflection

>colored artifacts

Good stuff.

>Yara
I just wish it did something more, even something as simple as forcing an attack, maybe as an activated ability.

>Gorrajian Dragon
Knee-jerk reaction because I associate Delve with B in my head, but if Wizards made it GUB, I guess it could work in R.

>That is the idea of the card
Eh, guess I'm having trouble seeing it because it's an activated ability, which means it'll be used long after Delve.

> Also, special note to the fact it doesn't let you change the target of the copies (that is intentional)
Oh, didn't notice that. ...Yeah, not really liking it that much now. I guess it has uses, just seems really weird.

>cards
Was looking over them to give you feedback, but then I noticed that I don't really know how to judge Delve. Hopefully other anons can help you out.

You goobered the rules text on Logic Knot and Lush Compost needs a flavor tweek if only to fit better with the art that screams GB. Avenging Wrath seems undercost by 1 and you might consider knocking Gorrajian Dragon down in p/t by one point as well. Good stuff over all. Big fan of delve

Feels like it should be an R artifact, not a U artifact with an R-ability.

>Yara
>I just wish it did something more
This user said the same thing. Honestly what I wanted to do with this card is to make a decent legendary that has very simple mechanics. Flavor-wise, she is just a really hot chick, as in hot enough to make wars happen because of her.

> but if Wizards made it GUB, I guess it could work in R.
Wizard made it GUB to fit that tarkir clan. The flavor I usually go on red for delve on my set is cards that burn wasted things and use it as energy, such as Funeral Pyre (on )

> Eh, guess I'm having trouble seeing it because it's an activated ability, which means it'll be used long after Delve.
If you use Delve, you reduce its mana cost, so you can play it cheaper. This might leaves you some mana left after playing it to use the fire-breathing ability. For instance, if you have 6 mountains and 6 cards in your graveyard, you can play it for RR (and exile 6 cards), then pay RRRR to give it +4/+0 and already hits for 10, because it has haste.

> I guess it has uses, just seems really weird.
It is indeed a specific ability. Its likely to be worse than the average 2-mana-copy-a-spell card.

>then I noticed that I don't really know how to judge Delve.
What I try to do is to only add Delve on cards with some flavor around it:

>Archaic Lore
You "dig" through old crap in order to find something useful.

>Avenging Wrath
A wrath that is fueled by the fact you have lost things, such as dead friends.

>Burrowed Wurm
Again, just some burrowing/tunneling flavor.

>Cadaverous Watcher
Cost less if you have a "body" to turn into a zombie. (in which case, it is a "exile 1 card and pay B to make a 2/2 zombie")

>Lush Compost
Basically, creating a compost out of dead shit.

>Pack of Jackals
They are scavengers.

>Recursive Paranoia
The idea is that you use bad memories (like on Conscience Feeder, graveyard is representing bad memories) to create additional bad memories.

> You goobered the rules text on Logic Knot
Thanks for pointing that out

> Lush Compost needs a flavor tweek if only to fit better with the art that screams GB
I actually think the flavor for Lush Compost is pretty clear. Using dead shit to flourish is very green on its own, if its not done on an evil or corrupted way.

> Avenging Wrath seems undercost by 1
You might be right, though I'm afraid it might be too weak for 4R. What if a throw first strike on it? Either go for 4R -> +5/+0 and first strike, or 3R -> +4/+0 and first strike. Does any of these options sounds good?

> Gorrajian Dragon down in p/t by one point as well
I sort of already did. Realized 6/6 was pushing it too far.

> Good stuff over all.
Thanks, and thanks again for the feedback.

> Good stuff.
Much appreciated.

Rolled 39 (1d238)

>This user (You) said the same thing.
Well, that's because it's me. It would be poor form for me to jump into a discussion other anons were having and not mention that I'm not either of them. Which unfortunately seems to happen a lot, especially when one user decided to white knight for another.

Well Constructs aren't too color defined, but I'd say RU is the closest. Felt G would be the right shift.

I might expand the check to Wizard or Druid, sense I'm going to be putting these in Sultai, and G wizards feels a little wonky. Any objections?

Anyone has any ideas for the wording of this? Basically I'm doing a cycle of rare enchantments that work if you have no cards in your graveyard, and the green one is protection from spells and activated abilities during your turn. But the wording feel a bit off.

> Well, that's because it's me
Oh, tricked me haha

Non-basic land hate is red. I think this card should check for any type of land, as in "~ costs 1 less for each noncreature, nonland permanent..."

Simple, but nice. Though I feel like there might be a better art out there for this.

Green can't get creature destruction.

Gotta print that token hate for all those witches.

Pretend the toad said enchantment instead of creature.

>Pretend the toad said enchantment instead of creature.
Is it a talking toad?!

> Estar

>Estar

Yeah he has a Jamaican accent and really likes the word bodacious.

Has anyone ever done gatewatch planeswalkers turned evil?

There's one obnoxious guy who keeps spamming his UB Jace. And I did once see a Nissa that worked with Eldrazi, which was kinda cool. I'd like to see a BG version of her. But aside from that, no. The closest I did was a WB version of Elspeth (idea was she was resurrected), but she wasn't evil, just kinda corrupted. Imagine the flavor text of Zealous Persecution, but it's Ajani talking about Elspeth.

...Holy shit that sounds cool, why didn't I do that before? BRB.

Hi

Wipe your hard drive and never post again.

>Colored artifacts edition!

I made this card to benefit from
"creatures of the X color have..."
"spells of the X color cant be countered"
things like that, opinions?

Based on the Overlord (light novel) spell.
Creating additional tokens based on the number killed is part of the flavor of the spell which is supposed to make it hard to get additional dark young.

>colored artifacts
Some old ones I created

Seems kinda interesting as a curiosity, but I honestly think it would be a lot better to just use the "choose a color" format. Maybe something that affects artifacts in other zones too? Something like
>As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a color.
>Artifacts you control are the chosen color in addition to their other colors. The same is true for artifact spells you control and artifact cards you own that aren't on the battlefield.
Wording taken from Arcane Adaptation.

>"creatures of the X color have..."
Pretty sure your wording wouldn't alter the cards after they become permanents. I think for that you'd have to use something like
>Whenever you cast an artifact spell, it becomes the colors spent to cast it.
Or something similar. Which unfortunately kinda gets in the way of cards that care about
>Whenever you cast a [color] spell, [...]

Are there enchantments that transform creatures into other creatures?

Infinite Reflection?

This is pretty cool. I dunno what the name is a reference to but it'd be a fun card to play around with. Might even be Standard playable?

I'm not a huge fan of do-nothing counters like this. Maybe you could actually just nix that and have it gain the ping ability whenever it attacks, and give it Haste? Could put a limiter of 'activate this ability only twice per turn' or something to emulate what you have right now.

close enough
interesting that that card doesn't just change tokens. I wonder what rule prevents it from doing that, or if it's like that to prevent you from stacking up weak tokens and turning giants

This gave me a horrible, horrible idea.

Mirrortrap UB
Enchantment- Aura
Enchant Creature
4UB: Exile enchanted creature and attach ~ to target creature.
1U: Enchanted creature becomes a copy of a creature card exiled with ~ until end of turn.

Too much investment for not enough payoff?

Radiant Prism 3
Artifact
Whenever you cast a spell, ~ is that spell's colors until end of turn.
Spells you cast cost 1 less to play if they share a color with ~. (Colorless isn't a color.)

Shining Spear WW
Artifact- Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and has first strike.
2WW: Create a 1/1 white Soldier creature token and attach ~ to it. Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn. Play this ability only once each turn.

Auras and Equipment translate pretty well to power-ups and equipment, right?

>This is pretty cool.
Thanks!

>I dunno what the name is a reference to but it'd be a fun card to play around with.
I decided to do a few cards based on Super Mario Bros. since I got Odyssey recently. It's awesome, BTW. But the Gaddbrush was a giant paintbrush used by Bowser Jr. in Sunshine, which he used to disguise himself as Mario, among other things. The other card, Lord of Lightning, is also a Mario reference, it's a new boss from Odyssey. A GIANT dragon that shoots lightning.

>I'm not a huge fan of do-nothing counters like this.
Eh, I like how it works with the counters right now. I'll try some designs that don't use counters though.

>card
Should be at least uncommon, going by all the other instant-speed Treason effects I can find. I'm also not entirely sure what the "1 damage" part means. When it attacks, it pings that player 1? If it would deal damage to that player, it hits for 1 instead? It seems like you tried to make it the former, but you accidentally said "If" which makes it sound like it could be a replacement ability.

Mirror trap is really weird. I was gonna recommend changes, but after reading it I kind of like its weirdness. Maybe reduced costs and make it "Enchant Creature you control" to start out with so you can justify low exile creature costs on the first ability.

Reading it made me think this up
>Form Refraction [2U]
>Enchantment
>When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target creature you control.
>1U: Target creature becomes a copy of the exiled creature until end of turn.

Radiant Prism probably needs some rewording, but I like it. Make you cast things in a certain order. My only concern is that it's basically "spells after the first spell cost 1 less" and I wonder what the cost of an artifact with "spells you cast cost 1 less" would be. That's what I would compare it to.

While I know equipments without Equip are pretty much a no-go, I kinda like the idea of a weapon that's like a "Stand up and fight" style weapon that makes a little guy inspire the rest of your creatures to be stronger.

Not sure if this causes them to revert after it's destroyed

Totem armor is probably too much for it anyway

>close enough
Er, I don't really understand why you asked the question in the first place. Am I missing something?

>interesting that that card doesn't just change tokens. I wonder what rule prevents it from doing that, or if it's like that to prevent you from stacking up weak tokens and turning giants
Probably the later. I don't know of any rule that makes it hard to make token copies, especially since Wizards has made cards the create token copies.

>card
Ah, I made a Necrodancer card a while ago. Interesting card, seems fair, but I'd have to see it in action to be sure.

>Er, I don't really understand why you asked the question in the first place. Am I missing something?
I was thinking something like that straight up turns 1 creature into another creature on the battlefield

>Interesting card, seems fair
Since it doesn't enter with any counters, it's essentially tapped, except for activate abilities of 0 cost cards. From there it's basically any 2 colors for 1-2 cost cards which is pretty strong, but I don't really care since these cards if ever played would be in a custom environment.

I think Wizards hasn't really done this because there's not much difference between something like this and a card that either copies the creature directly like Clone, or a spell that makes a token copy.

>Mirrortrap
Don't see that first ability every day. An interesting concept but slow.
>Prism
It seems to me like "Spells you cast that aren't the first spell you cast each turn cost 1 less to cast." or something similar would be a little less fiddly than this, and achieve a similar effect. Though your version can 'get bigger' as it were.
>Spear
I like this. I think it's a better version of Living Weapon. I'd make the token a Spirit Soldier, and anthem other Soldiers, but that's just me.

Ah, so you're the user earlier that talked about getting Mario Odyssey. It looked pretty fun when I watched Mike and Ryan take a crack at it.
>Toad
Seems fine to me. He could probably be 1/2 without much worry.
>Incite Instinct
I can move it to uncommon. And yeah, good catch on the wording. It's supposed to be an on-attack ping, not a replacement effect. I'm just getting back into cards after a hiatus so I'm rusty as all hell.

Technically you could use it to disable an opponent's creature

It's not really worth is to copy your own exiled creatures, though. Right now it's repeatable removal at a cost, but it's also hella vulnerable unless you manage to have six mana up at all times?
A good variation...

Deathmask 1UB
Enchantment- Aura
Enchant Creature
As an additional cost to play ~, exile a creature card from a graveyard.
Enchanted creature is a copy of exiled creature.

Prism is a little fucky with the wording, but it's not that far off from Cloud Key, and it never boosts the first spell of the turn.

I know no-equip equipment isn't kosher, but it's so fun...

Giant's Bracer 3
Artifact- Equipment
Enchanted creature gains Trample and Menace.
Whenever ~ becomes attached to a creature, put three +1/+1 counters on that creature.
Equip 5

I want to say this should be
"Enchant creature
Totem Armor
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a creature.
Enchanted creature is a copy of the chosen creature."

>Mike and Ryan
I'm not familiar with them. It's actually kinda funny, I have five or six different people I'm subscribed to on YouTube all start streaming Odyssey, but by the time they did I already finished the main story missions.

>Toad
Cool, thanks.

>Incite Instinct
Just feels like a really odd thing to tack on, might as well just ping the player anyway, or give the creature +1/+0. If it were me, I think I'd make it sorcery and change it to
>When that creature attacks its owner this turn, it gains double strike until end of turn.
Might be hard to balance, but could be fun.

>Envoy of Dominance
"greatest" for power and toughness, not "highest". Honestly, I'm not a fan of this wording, I'd prefer the version that checks if it has power greater than all other creatures. Or... maybe make it greater than opponents' creatures? Anyway, for this I think it would be
>[...] under your control, if it has the greatest power or is tired for the greatest power among creatures on the battlefield, [...]

>I'm just getting back into cards after a hiatus so I'm rusty as all hell.
Ah, have you posted here before?

>Deathmask
I really like that one

For whatever reason, I was inspired to make this based on Giant's Bracers. I thought, "What about a negative effect when unequipped?"

>Mike and Ryan
Two guys from Cinemassacre. I like to watch their reviews because they tend to not be sponsored by anyone and so they're usually pretty honest.
>Instinct
Would it be "when" not "whenever" in this case? I mainly did the ping so the damage couldn't be blocked, and I wanted it as a 'reward' for using it on your turn instead of as an Instant to get rid of a potential attacker. Your idea is pretty cool though, hm. I sort of want to keep it simple but we'll see.
>Envoy
Yeah okay that explains why I wasn't seeing any cards with 'highest' in Gatherer. Fucking thank you. I could alter it to be "greater than opponents' creatures"; that's plenty along the lines of the design philosophy. Pic related is the ability word the Envoy is referring to. I'm just showing it to you as it currently is; I'm gonna reword it to check opponents' creatures only. Should still be okay at this cost I think.
>have you posted here before?
Yeah.

I'm less worried about it being slow, and more about too good of repeated removal.

The only no-restrictions cost 1 less I can find costs 5, though the restricted ones are anywhere from 2-3 with no other shenanigans. I'm not seeing where it gets bigger, since it's a one-time check (Does the spell share a color yes/no)

This is good. I like these changes.

Forgot to comment on Koopa. I dunno if I like the last ability; I'm an oldfag and would love for him to have some kind of analog for his fire breath here instead of token gen.

>I'm not seeing where it gets bigger, since it's a one-time check (Does the spell share a color yes/no)
Oops, I read it as "in addition to its other types". That's my bad.

Question, I see you're using some name prefix
What do you do or plan to do with the cards you make?
Do you make sets that can be played with? Or do you just make them for fun?

I see a lot of posts in these threads with similar prefixes and wondered if the cards are being posted anywhere

I'm making a set right now, very slowly. It's the first time in a while. I usually do on-offs. I don't really have a plan per se; just doing it for fun. And yeah, the prefixes are set-related; they are discussed in the Nuts and Bolts articles on setbuilding linked in the OP. In the pastebin, I think.

And Dominance gives me an even stupider idea.

Scarless Alpha 4GG
Creature- Beast
Dominance -- As long as ~ has the greatest power or is tied for greatest power among creatures, it gets +4/+4.
4/4

>token gen
What? I rather like the ability, even if you're never gonna have a hand that late. Put token gen on the clowncopter.

>Cinemassacre
Guess I'll have to check them out then.

>Would it be "when" not "whenever" in this case?
I suppose you could use either.

>I mainly did the ping so the damage couldn't be blocked, and I wanted it as a 'reward' for using it on your turn
You could just hard-code a reward for it in that case. Wizards did a cycle of cards like this for Time Spiral. One of them is Sulfurous Blast, you can use that wording as a template. Maybe pump for sorc-speed?

>Dominance
If this is going to be a recurring mechanic, I'm actually not sure on it being triggered for each creature. Maybe end step, check if you control all the creatures with the greatest power? You can see something similar with Might Makes Right.

>Yeah.
Er, anything I'd recognize? Did you make a set?

I can do firebreathing no problem since I was wondering how I'd handle his kid anyway. God I love divergent design with multiple characters.

>token gen
??? Bowser doesn't generate tokens, the trigger says "Hey, if you have any Goomba or Koopa cards on your hand, you can put them onto the battlefield if you like." Bowser Jr. here is the same, just his doesn't scale and works more like Warren Instigator.

>Scarless Alpha

People are going to be super confused about whether or not to include the dominance bonus when determining if this has dominance.

>Koopa
I am having a bad reading night. I'm reading things how I EXPECT them to be worded not how they are. Ugh. Still, yeah, putting out creatures isn't as Bowser-y to me as breathing fire. Again, that's just me though.
>Alpha
Well, I reworded Dominance as "greater power than each other creature your opponents control" so it'd need to be altered to fit, but I do like that concept. I dunno if I'd do +4/+4 though; I think something like +2/+2 would be a bit more surmountable. Though I guess green is supposed to be in the business of having the highest power around. I do have to ask though; do you think it's a better ability checking against all creatures or just against opponents'? I want to make it fun to play with but also decent, and the original concept was honestly more concerned with what your opponents' boards looked like, but I'm open to compromise.

That was the joke, yes. A clearer version...

Scarless Alpha 2: Alpha Harder 4GG
Creature- Beast
Dominance-- As long as ~ has the greatest power or is tied for greatest power among creatures, it has base power and toughness 8/8.
4/4

For more silliness

Gap Widener G
Creature- Elf Shaman
At the beginning of each upkeep, target creature with the greatest power or tied for greatest power gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

Is Minion still a type or was it removed and people just like to use it again? Because that would be perfect for what you're going for

>Put token gen on the clowncopter.
Sounds like a good idea. Still trying to figure out how exactly these tribes should work. All I have for now is a bog-standard 1/1 for 1 Goomba and a Dry Bones that's a near-identical reprint to Reassembling Skeleton. My dark Mario secret is that I've never actually played enough of Super Mario World to beat it.

Yeah the ping on Incite Instinct is supposed to be unexpected damage from your creature turning on you, if you're looking at it from the opponent's perspective. I'll look at Sulfurous Blast though.
>Dominance
The mechanic isn't as useful if it's not ETB though. If I check at end of turn I lose a lot of design space. Or are you just talking about changing the Envoy?
>Koopa
Yeah see ; I'm having a really bad time actually reading things and not just filling them in with expectations. My bad on that. Another thing I just thought of; doesn't red usually prefer to put creatures from your hand onto the battlefield in a temporary way? Dash, "sacrifice at end of turn", etc.?

Does base power and toughness overwrite until end of turn bonuses? Does it happen continually prevent increases and +1/+1 effects? What happens to counters when something like Turn to Frog is cast?

OK, last one for tonight. Boo is hard to reflect in Magic, so here's a very dirty rough draft. Idea is the opponent is "looking" for Boo on his turn, so Boo turns invisible. Unfortunately, this also means Boo won't block then either. Please let me know if you have any other concepts, I honestly doubt I'll keep this design.

It is still a thing. That's actually a pretty good idea, thanks. It would help differentiate enemy Goombas/Koopas/etc. from friendly ones. It would take me a while to get to the friendly ones, but still.

>Dominance
I was talking in general. IDK, I'd have to see more of your set to have an idea what I'm working with.

>doesn't red usually prefer to put creatures from your hand onto the battlefield in a temporary way?
Yes. Guess I was thinking of Warren Instigator and Goblin Lackey too much. Suppose it would work better in RW.

Not him, but base P/T goes "underneath" all other P/T modifiers, so it will be affected by Auras, Equipment, counters, buffs, etc. like normal. This is actually why Wizards came up with the "base" terminology in the first place.

I could see either. Making it care about every creature forces you to think and play in a specific order, but also severely limits what you can do with it. If you draw Boughbreaker after playing something bigger, then it's just vanilla.
On the other hand, just "Bigger than opponent's creatures" is a lot simpler to deal with. I'd go with this way, and toss in a few more Fights than usual to knock down big creatures.
I could also see it templating with "If YOU control the creature with the highest power or tied among highest then effect"
Either way, I'd be wary of putting too much fun behind the gates of being bigger in case you end up with a mirror match or something.

>I'd have to see more of your set to have an idea what I'm working with.
Well when I have more I'll be posting it. I learned a lot of lessons about burnout working on other failed sets so I'm taking this one VERY slowly.
>Boo
Hm. I actually kind of like this.

>Making it care about every creature forces you to think and play in a specific order
Not him, but what about Evolve?

Well, part of the reason I went with Dominance over say, something like the Naya mechanic is that you can put it on a 2/2 and have it work. It just cares if the creature its on is the biggest, and that's why it always checks on ETB and only the one time to keep it playable that way. I don't see myself putting it on anything lower than power 3 but you never know. I also like the wording that compares it to opponents' creatures as well, both from a flavor and design perspective. Current wording:
>Dominance — When ~ enters the battlefield, if it has power greater than each other creature your opponents control,
Does this seem right? There isn't really anything for me to compare it to; at least nothing that I can readily dig up. Stuff like Might Makes Right and Evolve were all I could really find.

Fuuuck I'm too tired to give advice. But going ahead anyway
>When ~ enters the battlefield, if its power is greater than the power of each creatures your opponents control, [...]
or
>[...] power is greater than the greatest power among creatures your opponents control, [...]
I'm so sorry I gave you this idea.

Heh, put this on removal.
>You have a creature more powerful than all of mine? Not anymore.
Fuck I'm too tired for this

Evolve checks once, with the ETB, which solves a lot of the problems. My problem with it is that it would actually lay out your curve for you and punish you for screwing it up.
>Get lucky and draw into ramp to play a sexy 4/4 you want to play
>But you can't, because for other reasons you need to play this 3/3 first
>God forbid you get nothing but ramp and your finisher 6/6 out early

Or

>Play a duder with dominance that draws you cards or something quite worthwhile
>Opponent uses a Giant Growth on another one of your fatties to 'counter' the effect

Any creature punishes you for not playing up your curve, just opponents could neuter whoever's slowest on the draw in a mirror match.

Just ETB Scarless Alpha isn't nearly as funny, sadly.

>You may have ~ enter the battlefield as a copy of any Equipment on the battlefield, except it's an enchantment in addition to its other types. If you do, you may attach it to a creature you control.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=21268
Oh look, the work's already been done.

That said, I love the idea of doing mirror mechanics, or one-off wrong color bits.

First King 4BB
Creature- Zombie Beast
Dominance- When ~ enters the battlefield, if it has the greatest power or is tied for greatest, put a Fate counter on it and it gains "Each other creature gets -2/-2."
6/6

Thanks, edited and added "If you don't, exile ~."

Too weak

>Oh look, the work's already been done.
That checks against all creatures. He wants his to check against creatures opponents control.

I went with option #2. Shorter is better, and it reads better too.
>removal
Yeah, that was going to be part of the plan.
Yeah all that's why I went with Dominance being ETB only, and why I like it checking against your opponents' boards, not yours better. I think it's in a good spot now, so I can start doing more with it.

That'll probably be for another night though, unless I can't sleep. Thanks for all the help all; getting me back into the swing of things.

An essentially 4/2 haste isn't too bad for 3