Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game

I've only ever played 40k and a friend of mine wants me to get into LOTR with him. No one at my LGS really plays LOTR and there are maybe two tournaments a year held for it.

Is it worth investing my time and money into? Is The Hobbit or LOTR or w/e it goes under now even a good game??

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!V2xRFIiL!vv7xwUAFnPFxLrmtrxiSXg
games-workshop.com/en-GB/White-Dwarf-November-2017-eng
youtube.com/watch?v=_zSxQnZ3TM8
warhammer-community.com/2017/10/28/save-money-on-your-middle-earth-army/
warhammer-community.com/2017/10/27/new-from-forge-world-arm-the-legions-of-gundabad/
collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Lord_of_the_Rings_-_2001_onwards
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

LOTR yes, Hobbit no

Were they not merged into one?

you don't need many models to play or even dice

buy some gondorians or goblins used and you'll have an army on your hands

The Hobbit is the "updated" version of LOTR, eveb though it is a whole lot worse.

They are two different game.
LOTR is the best game GW ever came up with, but was discontinued to make The Hobbit game, which sucks ass

How so

That's a shame. Guess I'll have to find the old rulebook then.

it's not worse. the rules are better

no. it's like saying 8th edition 40k sucks so i'll buy a 7th edition rulebook which nobody uses

Well shit.

?

Look. Read the rules and judge for yourself. Much of the hobbit anger is the model releases, prices of said models and the new movies

Welp. Thanks for the help :)

That's exactly what i did and still can play 6th regularly at my local lgs
Not my fault if you live in a shit place

don't forget the rules of the new models

got me convinced. it's good advice for a new player to stick to outdated rules :)

Don't bother, the game sheds more players by the year. It was awesome back in the day but now it's over. No point in joining a dead game

Yes it's worth investing in because it's a good game, nay, a great game.

It also does not need much investment. Armies are small, it's a real skirmish game.

It's growing again now that FW have taken over.

why are you being an asshole? the game is fine and growing and you can usually find weekly tournaments. hell, the 2nd annual con for it (called Ardacon) finished about a month ago with around 500 international players.

tfw sold my moria army because literally nobody ever plays this game in my store/city/country/probably region.

Just wait a bit. The Hobbit rules are fine, people just whine about special strikes (which there is nothing wrong with). A new rulebook is scheduled to come out soon which revamps magic and special strikes specifically and Battle Companies is due out next month. Grab that first and give it a go.

Probably and Age of Smeg player who can't bear to see a game do well while his really is shedding players like a leper sheds skin.

and where are you?

you don't be an asshole either. i play aos and sbg and we don't need eltism bullshit. the last lotr thread did fucking well without shitposting.

I used to have a Mordor army but nobody plays LOTR in my city. Actually basically nobody plays warhammer anymore, I'll need to go to the capital.

AoS and 40k are quite popular tho.

I feel like if I bought these models it would be more for the actual modeling hobby than the gaming hobby.

If your friend wants you to join, you could give it a try. The biggest possible problem you could have is like said, if you don't have players in your area. There are some places with a thriving LoTR community, and wastelands without any activity, If you have someone to play with, you are not helpless. You would have a regular opponent, and could even expand your community, if someone in the LGS is interested.

>Is it worth investing my time and money into?
Give it a try, and if you like it, join your friend. There are lots of used stuff on ebay, so the price is not a big issue.

>Is The Hobbit or LOTR or w/e it goes under now even a good game?
Yes, it's a pretty solid system. Those who claim it's the best of the GW rules are not far from the truth.

>Hobbit vs LoTR
The hobbit SBG is basically just the new edition of the decade-old LoTR SBG, the additions/new stuff were not welcomed by a lot of the people, but you could just stick to the base rules, which are unchanged since 2001. If you start with only your friend to play with, you can easily agree on which version to play

Also, link related. All the rules in a mega, so you can check them out
mega.nz/#F!V2xRFIiL!vv7xwUAFnPFxLrmtrxiSXg

In some ways. Shooting got nerfed to shit. Monsters are better.

This. Big battles takes ages. It shines as a skirmish battle.

it's good that shooting sucks imho. but it's still good enough to drop enemy horses/wargs before they charge you and get cavalry bonuses, especially if you're an elf

I was really happy with the shooting nerf, cause it was a weird sort of buff for my Watchers of Karna, backed up by the Betrayer. Their poison rule backed with the Betrayers poison buff means I hurt people far more than basically any other army, even Elves. I can outshoot an elite elf army that isn't running legolas.

They are some of the best models GW make, and are a delight to paint if you like the process of prepping white metal to paint. I personally find it relaxing.

Cheers for the link, I've been looking for the RotK journeybook for ages.

You're welcome user.

Nice pics.

Gentlemen, guess what's in the next White Dwarf.

games-workshop.com/en-GB/White-Dwarf-November-2017-eng

Hey, that's pretty nice!

Yeah, I always loved Battle Companies. I am curious of what they will come up with in the new version.

>not posting the cover.

i said that about six hours ago.

Not enough highlight/10

Also, did the wd team heard of AoS?

Forgot pic, damnit

Here' a (you), and eternal glory for your deed.
The other contributors probably missed your post at first.

No one noticed that collumn, because of the

Didn't catch that, just entered the thread.

The game hardly changed don't listen to these salty fucks. Middle earth is by far the best game GW has produced, you should definitely get into it if you have someone to play it with.

> Skirmish games inside skirmish games.

Can they hurry up and just release the new edition... that's all I'm waiting for.

It is planned to the summer of 2018, IIRC.

>still a long wait

Battle Companies was always very well loved in the games history. It's not surprising it's coming first.

> Skirmish games inside skirmish games.
kek, thanks for reminding me of this masterpiece
youtube.com/watch?v=_zSxQnZ3TM8

warhammer-community.com/2017/10/28/save-money-on-your-middle-earth-army/
>save-money
>30% discount for certain items
What sort of bizarro world have we entered?

Wow, GW decreases prices? We haven't seen such a thing since.. I fucking don't know, it's a really rare occasion.
>what a time to be alive

a world where they realise where £60 for a full warband in fucking absurd, even for them. £40 is still extreme, but at least it's managable and there's an even split of troops now.

>warhammer-community.com/2017/10/28/save-money-on-your-middle-earth-army/
It's still finecast, so its shit.

I miss this game. I would love it if they tried to bring it back, like maybe release a few small starter sets. it could be great if they did say a Rohan Vs Isenguard set with Eomer and 6 horsemen Vs 12 uruk hai (or maybe larger with some foot troops for rohan and crossbowmen for Isenguard). and maybe a Gondor Mordor set with Gondorian Warriors and archers and a hero like Beregond Vs a horde of mordor orcs backed up by a troll

it would be a good way to get people back in and start an army off easy. hell just rerelease the Moria starter so people can get the fellowship!

>The Lake-town Guard Warband and Lake-town Militia Warband boxed sets each contain 4 Spearmen, Bowmen and Swordsmen, for a total of 12 models but for far less than you’d pay buying them separately – on average, you’ll be saving around 30%!
Nice try GW, but if I buy nothing I save 100%!

In theory, it's not finecast but Forgeworld resin, which is free from the flaws of FC.
>still overpriced

It would be really nice. Something like the old movie-era starters. I don't know the chance of them, but GW slowly started to care about LOTR again. The forgeworld support, the return of some OOP minis, and the new rules are a promising beginning.

>GW vs user the buisness mastermind
Maybe they will be better next time.

Also
New release

warhammer-community.com/2017/10/27/new-from-forge-world-arm-the-legions-of-gundabad/

15 bong-bucks for an upgrade spure is not my league, but it at least looks cool. If they do a rohan/isengard one, I might think it again.

You sure? When did they change to FW resin? I'm pretty sure all resin sold at the GW site is finecast resin.

I like some of the heads and the banner.

I might buy it and convert up some plastic uruk hai I already own. Sure, they will look smaller, but I think it will look ok. The shields can be insta moulded if I need more.

I'm not being an asshole. The game is dead. The loss of the moves has pushed it out of mainstream. I'm not saying you can't find tournaments but where I live that's dropped from monthly tournaments to yearly tournaments.

Casual players don't play it because it isn't stocked in games workshop or most FLGS' anymore.

Also 500 players means nothing unless you have the stats for 40k and AoS tournaments too

It ain't dead, it got an active community in Britain, Australia and Germany. Other places too, I bet.

what does the stats for 40k or aos have to do with anything? the fact that it has a massive dedicated con that people travel internationally for is proof enough it has a thriving community. to call it dead is to call any game that isn't 40k or aos dead. that's a retarded statement to make.

It's not dead. If I said to my local club 'You want to play LoTR?' I'd get three or four people agreeing to do so. Stop having the comic book shop/vidya attitude to wargames. As long as you have the rules, you can play any edition you want

Any tips on Harad and Umbar list? I don't want to use any expensive OOP models, so Serpent riders and Watchers of Karna are out.
Are the Abrakhan guard good?

Abrakhan are really good if you can ambush people. They are really good in melee, but are a little glass tanky. The Golden King is also really fun, but plays very differently to most heroes. Watchers are still being made, but kitbashing serpent riders is really easy. i used some Easterling kataphracts for the horses, then some haradrim warriors. Don't be scared by a model being OOP, most LOTR people will be happy to play.

As a faction, remember, you have an auto win against Dwarves. Cavalry archers, with a 50% number of archers. My list is
Suladan
6 Serpent riders (Kitbashed)
6 Haradrim Raiders with bows and War Lances
The Betrayer
6 Venomblade Knights
6 Watchers of Karna

However, running them with a large number of cheap models works as well. If you want to use Abrakan Guard, I'd say run a bunch of warriors, screening your Guard. Then when the enemy hits your ranks, your guard move forward and begin cutting heads off, while the Golden King stops their heroes from interfering.

>Is it worth investing my time and money into?

It's the best GW game with the best miniatures (by the Perry brothers)

It's worth it also if you love Tolkien and Jackson's Middle Earth, since they also expand on characters not on the movies (and they do it better than Jackson did in The Hobbit)

The miniatures are well proportioned and scaled unlike Warhammer, they have movement trays to ease your life and the game is tons of fun both in skirmishes and big battles.

Also, on the models, they are made with the Weta Workshop designs, so there is a cohesive design philosophy about the models. So you don't get what happens in 40k and AoS where older models look goofy or out of place next to newer models. If you put a Warrior of Harad next to a Lake Town soldier, they look like they are from the same universe, unlike (for example) Stormcast and Freeguild, or Wulfen next to older Marine models

Does the Harad bow limit increase still apply if you take allied contingents from other armies?

Rule says "If one of your contingents (or allied contingents) contains (list of harad soldiers) you can have 1/2 of your warriors with bows instead of 1/3" So the 1/2 would only apply to the contingent which fitted the Harad requirements.

I really wish they had made more plastic troops before they basically stopped supporting the game.

Thank god someone created a thread about LOTR! It's my favorite citadel game!

I wish they would release start collecting boxes of them, would encourage people to get into the game. If you are interested you should e-mail them and ask them to pass the message to Kevin Rountree, perhaps he gives it a shot?

Anyways, posting my easterlings vs my friends mordor army. He just started it out.

>warhammer-community.com/2017/10/28/save-money-on-your-middle-earth-army/
hobbit models are shit.

Very cool game, still have my minis from around the time it was current. 28mm is a hassle to paint and I have no one to play it with though.

Second best game and minis. Epic is better. Fortunately I have loads of both. I particularly like how LotR functions both as a herohammer fellowship versus mooks game or as a battle between good and evil (or evil vs. evil) soldiers with low level heroes.

>we don't need eltism bullshit
Having the satndarts doesn't mean elitism.

I hope they do a made to order sometime. There are aome magnificent lotr figures that are OOP. Like Eomer from the pelennor fields.

No it isn't proof that it isn't dead. 500 people means nothing in terms of population. Without the support of games workshop the product will fall into obscurity. Look at fantasy. Yes people still play it but it doesn't mean it isn't dead. It's not updating anymore. It is stuck.
Lotr is the same it is stuck. They released all the movies they could unless they start with the simarillian or the adventures of Tom bombadill.

Look I love the game, I have a 1000 pts mirkwood list. No one is left to play it.

Cool well if I go to my local store and ask for a game no one will play because no one else has an army.

Fuck me that's ages away. It feels like they've been building momentum as of late, they should release as soon as possible to capture it.

The lake town guys are good, so are the Dwarfs.

We got lots, and I'm happy with that. Which ones do you miss?

I really like the dwarves. Also thank fuck for FW.

Then get off your ass and build a community. Set up some demo games, teach people. You want some games? Put the effort in.

No one at my club plays Battletech or Heavy Gear and I'm the only one with models for them.Yet I've played a dozen games of each. You know why? because I'll say 'Who wants to play BT or HG?' and someone will go 'Yeah I want to!'

Anyway, people here still play LOTR because it's widely recognised as one of the best wargames GW ever wrote. People play all kinds of old wargames, some are no longer supported, a fair few are made by companies that are no longe allowed. As long as someone has models (AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE TO BE THE MODELS MADE FOR THE GAME ITSELF, SHOCK HORROR) and the rules, you can play the game.

>No longer allowed

I meant no longer around. Sorry I just woke up.

Any sites that show off the complete range of Lotr stuff, including OOP? Rohan stuff in particular.

This image triggers me.

Strangely I did this and it IS working. I got two new players and a possible 3rd one to join. I just hope they could release start collecting sets of lotr.

your best bet are the old armybooks or WD catalogs.
I don't know of any page that collected LotR info like that.

there is this collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Lord_of_the_Rings_-_2001_onwards

There's a complete collection pdf a group put together. i'll try and find it.

Superb, well done good sir. This is the point that any game can get a community going if someone is will to put the effort in.

I still have the Return of the King Hardcover Rulebook. There's no need for the Fellowship or Two Towers unless I want the scenarios, right?

the return of the king didn't have a hardback. you mean the one ring edition? blue with the ring on it? but no, you don't need the previous books. that's not the most up to date book, but you can certainly play games with it.