EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Back from Exile (And I Didn't Forget the Subject Line This Time!) Edition

Previous Thread: →

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
How would you design Commander 2018?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/28-10-17-gdb-deck-paste/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sad-machine/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I would make more four color support honestly.

I really don't like forecasting future sets because I'm always disappointed.

I feel like if you really want to support four colors, all that needs to be done is do what should have been done in Commander 2016: reprint all of the Nephilim and retroactively make them Legendary.

When was the last time such a functional change was made? Aside from "we fucked up" day 1 erratas such as with Hostage Taker or system-wide changes such as planeswalkers becoming legendary.

The retroactive Dinosaurs we got with Ixalan?

>How would you design Commander 2018?
decks as well built as c2016 aka decent ramp and card draw in all decks
two color decks all with enter the battlefield ablilites

4 colors is awful and doesn't need any support.

If I was doing commander 2018 I would make more interesting monocolored commanders with cards that flavorfully gave red and white some more balanced draw.

I agree with this man mono color all the way

What are some ways to spice up 3 person commander? We cant find a consistent 4th

>balanced draw

>How would you design Commander 2018?

I would definately include a colorless commander centered around atrifacts

Either monocolored or I would give bizarre tribes way more support. Basically like c2017 except every deck will be like the cat deck.

Scarecrows, barbarians, berserker, rebel, scarecrows, faeries, scarecrows, giants, assassin, Drake, shaman, druid, illusion...etc
Something like that. Obscure but cool tribes that people forget about and give them more flavor.

Still think spirits and fairies should have been tribes in c17 instead of wizards and cats

They should stop wanking vampirefags and dragonfags and finally release a hydra deck, some hydras are hard as fuck to get.

>Thread Question
Villain-based decks.
>UBR Nicol Bolas deck
Good old Bolas, doing bolas stuff, temporary mana with ultimatums.
>WG Phyrexia deck
Growing Phyrexia, lots of ramp and artifact matters, artifact token generation, alternate win cons.
>Colorless Eldrazi deck
Colorless matters, destroy all the colored ones, and colorless ramp.
>MonoB Yawgmoth deck
Black enchantments, curses.

2 colour allied pairs, ignore tribal because it's boring, absolutely none of them have any abilities that give you free value from the command zone aka eminence/oloro

>MonoB Yawgmoth deck
It would be a nice oportunity to actually release a Yawgmoth card.

Reject the sins of the LGS!

heres a dumb question i should know the answer to but don't. if i have something that happens at the beginning of upkeep, can i cast shit in response to it so that shit happens first?

You can respond to that trigger on the stack yes.

Anyone have the Tividar feels good meme? The anti goblin one where hes touching his face?

How do you guys usually run your control decks? Lots of permanents to keep people locked up with static effects or just lots of draw/wipe/counter?

I'm leaning toward the latter but I'm not sure if it's more effective.

I'd count that as "system-wide" in a way. Dinosaur was added as a creature type and creatures that should be affected by that were.

The thing to do is make them keep playing like they would, but mostly ignore you because it's too much work/too costly. Then save the counter/removal for the crucial moments. Complete lockdown effects tend to get everyone to gang up on you and it's evry difficult to keep everyone locked down forever.

So he's saying that the Nephilim will never be Legendary because reasons?

It's important that you can only do it after the trigger has been put onto the stack. No tossing stuff into your graveyard by discarding at cost and then targeting it that way or anything.

Generally lota of "pay x more to do stuff" spells with clones/steal effects along with above average amoubt of wipes

Pretty much. It's been asked for a lot and he's said "we can't/won't" every time.

Except Yawgmoth is like Urza in that no card could come close to capturing his true power. The guy beat an oldwalker, created armies of zombies and horrors, built up a plane almost from scratch, and nearly defeated every single hero in Dominaria, along with many of the villains too. And we sure as hell do not want another O-Kagachi or Ludevic.

I'd like to but the problem is I'm usually the target. Even if I have nothing on the board. Between one guy knowing my playstyle and the other two being pretty random or clueless, I get a lot of the hits when others have a more dangerous boardstate growing.

How valid of a choice is she for a kitchentable Group?
To strong, to weak, totally alright?

MaRo has said there's a good chance we'll see an Urza card eventually, but the fact he'd need to be a four or five color planeswalker is a big challenge to actually printing him. Luckily, with Planeswalkers, you get to handwave some of the discrepancy between lore and mechanical power by way of the whole arrangement with planeswalkers being "this is how much they're willing to help you at the moment".

What's wrong with Ludevic? Was it how underwhelming he was?

I'm a big fan of having all my permanents being mana/card advantage engines, while playing tons of card draw/counterspells/wraths. Once I'm secure in my power/position I drop the lock pieces (Winter Orb mainly) and mop up with random dorks.

Ludevic is the necro-alchemist, a mad scientist who all the other mad scientists on Innistrad aspire to even work with. And he was a shitty draw engine.

I was pretty disappointed, yeah

Not only how underwhelming he is, but how his ability has absolutely fuckall to do with his actual character.

Completely scalable, depending if you go big derpy legends or Gaddock Teeg and friends. People who play competitively might try to kill you since she's pretty scary, but it's really up to you how powerful you want her to be.

Depends on how you build her. She's top tier competitive in her "True form", what with the ability to vomit her entire library onto the table in one go (Particularly with her first tutor being Paradox Engine) but if you don't go full Paradox Storm and make it just legend tribal with shit like Reki, the History of Kamigawa instead of Paradox Engine, bands-with-other-legends lands and Day of Destiny she'll still be fairly strong (Tap to tutor does that) but probably kitchen-table valid.

If you go full flavortown and restrict yourself to Weatherlight Saga legendaries (tutoring Skyship Weatherlight to tutor nonlegendaries) no one could fairly tell you she's too strong, and you'd still probably have fun with all those abilities.

Is there any way to make a Hellboy & BPRD deck?
I was thinking of doing one for hallowen but i don't know what commander or colors to even use.

Rakdos, lord of riots.

Any other good artifact ramp like Solemn Simulacrum? I plan on not having my artifacts stick around but I need to ramp so I'd prefer if they translated into lands that hit the table instead of Armillary Sphere that just goes to my hand, even though that's great fixing.

last time I ask for tips for this deck
how does it look? I'm a bit concerned about the mana base but i'm not very rich.

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/28-10-17-gdb-deck-paste/

The latter is the route i'm going for.
Restricted myself to not put in my Cradle and also so far refrained from getting a Paradox Engine.
I'm going a bit for the mediator role, by making that Parley Elf my main search target and derping a bit around with silly stuff like Dark Depths.

While we've had those two high-profile failures, we've also had a good deal of win out of the commander teams: Feldon, Teferi PW, Freyalise, Ramos, Mairsil, the Taigams, Titania, Gisa and Geralf's first runs, and to a lesser extent Wasitora, Ur Dragon, and Edgar have all been flavor hits for pre-existing characters AND totally legit commanders. I'd be more comfortable with Thran-Era Yawgmoth than God of Death Yawgmoth, though maybe he could transform. That would be a kind of neat theme for main commanders -- commanders that enter transformed if X or more mana was spent to cast them so once you're on the second round of commander tax you get the stronger side.

Also, Really unpopular opinion here: O-Kagachi was fine from a design and creative PoV, only its development needed work. OK, it's a weak POS but its abilities still read as something the O-Kagachi would do. There's a connection between the flavor and the mechanics. I could have done with him being a little bigger so he'd stand up ok next to the Myojin but it's a quibble at worst. Would I have liked a stronger O-Kagachi? Hell yes. I would want something that could wreak truly terrible vengeance. But I can accept what we got.

Ludevic is a true abomination, though.

Zombie Horde

was meant for
and

Wayfarer's bauble, Burnished Heart.

Wayfarer's Bauble might fit the bill. Don't know why it sees so little play.

renegade map seems dece

Not sure either.

The heart! That's the one I couldn't remember, thanks.

Im finally got the cards to start piecing together keiga. It doesnt fit too well now that im doing it physically. Can i get some advice here? Is mercurial pretender and identity thief good clones? They seem to be more for etb synergy or protection but im mostly planning to clone and sac them for keiga's graveyard trigger. I guess a better way to ask is are their utility worth using them as standalone clones? My next question is what is a good mana rock package for mono blue? Dreamstone hedron worth using over thran dynamo?

I have no problem being the archenemy but I don't like locking people out of the game, so permission based control and lots of card draw for me. I wan't to feel the pressure of fucking up.

Mail call! I've got ideas for a super friends deck running less good planeswalkers to keep the cost down and a group hug deck running gay Kings. Super excited to get building on those

Same here. We don't play competitively enough to warrant locking the board down. It's the same reason I took all the discard out of my decks. I knew they weren't packing enough draw so a Mind Twist left an opponent topdecking for the rest of the game. Effective, but not fun. Even if the guy I'm doing it to has no qualms with spending a bunch of money and using the most powerful strategies he possibly can.

I think heavy counters and lots of boardwipes with draw is the way to go for me.

gay king seems like a sweet dick

Type 1: Prison. Lots of cards to insulate myself, specifically from the table.
Type 2: Stax. Lots of cards to deny resources globally. Comes in a lot of flavors, the most traditional would be to package tapdown-tax-forced sacrifice so that people can't cast spells because their lands are bleeding away to Smokestack under a Winter Orb, but you can also pull a more hatebears-y "Can't let you do that" or go for something other than the mana base like hand with heavy discard. Traditional stax and hatebears are core packages, hand stax or "Tax your life instead of mana" variants (Spellshock, manabarbs) are more modules to make other decks fuck with people.

we wuz gay kangs panders so hard. i usually dont care about this shit but god damn, theyre not even trying to conceal it.

Are gay kings actually gay? Im pretty bothered that their nickname didnt default to the Gaylords

Replace seed of the land with oath of druids. The advocate cycle is good as well. Flag bearer creatures are good too.

My camera a shit but I got the finishing touches for Space Baby's Seismic Ass today.
Includes:
>ftv beseech the queen
>Bringer of the Black Dawn
>Bringer of the Blue Dawn
>Baleful Force
>Horizon Chimera
>Sheltered Thicket
>Alms Collector
>Notion Thief
>Decree of Pain
>Scattered Groves
Deck is super fun but holy fuck does it take a beating if I can't find Seismic Assault. Apparently drawing like 10+ cards a turn draws a lot of aggro who'd have thought /sarcasm

This one?

>i wish my skin colour wasn't red.deck

I feel you, altough I tought of building a mean Nath of Gilt leaf deck, just to step away from blue,

Every time I actually manage to recover a crucial piece using it, trading post feels indespebsible, but, most commonly, it feels so slow it's nearly a dead draw. I kinda want to swap it out for a trusty machete for more HIHG SPEED DAMAGE.

Deck in question: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sad-machine/

Input is greatly appreciated.

Gay and forgotten.

thanks for the recs

>Are gay kings actually gay?

The big reason I'm looking forward to it is every other deck I play regularly is some flavor of aggro. Omnath (mono g), gw Mirri, Freyalise, even Ertai, they're all about getting to a point where I turn my dudes sideways and crush your skull while laughing maniacally. Building something with no wincon and just trying to come in second and structure my plays to maximize everyone's bonus seems like a nice challenge

Just zoom in and you'll have the answer.

Just realized you can see the statues in the background of that card

I never noticed that hand.

Is new Mirri actually fun to play or is she just another legend to windmill slam into every deck running the colors?

>i usually dont care about this shit
Yeah, sure.

Seems fun for 1v1

>LGS decides to host commander night with prize support
>everyone shows up with either FCTazri, Zur, or Arcum Daggson decked out with kaladesh masterpieces, invocations, expeditions
>after seeing this all decks are given a lookover to identify fakes
>40 people are caught using fakes and are DQ'd from future commander nights
Does prize support of some shitty standard pack really entice people that much?

Outclassed by Arahbo because of the passive buff he grants every combat putting a clock on the opponent. Consistently came in second or third every time it showed up on mtgtop8.

How does one determine if its a fake card? Im none too savvy about this

believe what you want

I've no doubt. Still seems like fun

There are multiple tests, some fakes are so bad that you can identify just by looking at it.

One problem I've found with this game are the people who play it. There are a lot of walking streotypes at your LGS. When you only have one thing, you want to win so badly you'll make it shit for everyone around you. That includes pulling this kind of crap for a pack or some other worthless BS. Instead of going to play and have fun with friends, it's about winning just so they can say they won.

Does anyone have Feline Ferocity? Is it as fun as it looks?

Seems like it'd be a different game every time and I've been looking for a new commander that isn't control or voltron.

What do you with Radha? Is she just a dork? Is that her only purpose?

Those people are likely just retarded and got ripped off when buying expensive shit for their deck.

>Caring about a couple of booster packs from a shitty standard set
>Not using your based chinamen fakes with your buds to play comfy vintage-lite where the only prize is the last slice of pizza

Reject the sins of the LGS

Still waiting on some shit I ordered a week ago but got these

Meanwhile, they massively change (buff) the types of planeswalkers. Fucking planeswalker double standards!

How do I Chinaman?

anyone else?
oath of druids are in for sure now that i've been thinking about it. it also works well if i wanna mill someone in the end

>Aliexpress or similiar chinkbays

I didn't care about the prize packs especially because it was Aether Revolt. I did it for fun and there isn't normally cancerous faggots at my LGS since the owner is mostly carefree and any creeps are usually kicked out. I also have a group but most are out of town and I don't fancy 1v1 EDH

my friend has a LD_duel.dek with her, it's terrifying, you'll never pass 3 lands against it.

how good is non-gitrog landfall?

I wanna build Gishath because smacking people with big dumb idiot dinosaurs sounds fun. How does the deck fare vs. a pretty casual meta?

I would assume it would do fairly well so long as you have decent support cards. I have personally found Furnace of Rath-type effects to be pretty fun in the deck.

You can do ok with omnath, Mina, and titania. They all work in different ways though, despite the fact that they share certain cards and strategies.

titania seems sweet indeed. what do you think about karametra?