What would an average Space Marines's 5e Challenge Rating be? Is there already a monster that's roughly analogous?

What would an average Space Marines's 5e Challenge Rating be? Is there already a monster that's roughly analogous?

Without gear, a space marine is the equivalent of a 5th level fighter. With guns and armor, the equivalent of a 12th level fighter (who has magical gear).

Depends on the setting

No, seriously, it does. DnD doesn't have consistent power rating through the settings, so there's no way to etablish a baseline.
There was an adventure about a basic Darksun creature causing havok in the forgotten realms, and in the same way we aren't sure that 40k humans aren't massively superior to the current people due to natural selection and bioengineering.

>There was an adventure about a basic Darksun creature causing havok in the forgotten realms
sauce?

This is the first I've ever heard of this. Power levels may be different in different parts of different settings, but the Challenge Rating business is supposed to be universal.

I'm also curious about this.

Best comic

Astartes D&D Stats? Haven't played D&D since 3.5 but I imagine it would look something like this:

STR: 20+
DEX: 18
CON: 20+
WIS: 12
INT: 10
CHA: 6

I feel like you are underestimating the mental capabilities of a space marine. They are fast thinkers and great strategists/tacticians (INT), have great willpower thanks to their training (WIS), and their ability to inspire through leadership is not to be underestimated (CHA). I'd probably rate them around 16 or so, CHA maybe a bit less since the are quite post-human already.

They're probably smart for the 40k universe, which makes them borderline retarded in any other universe.

These are the people who put cathedrals on the outside of their space ships and are outmanuevered by sentient mushrooms.

Don't forget the indoctrination and hypnotherapies either.
Advantage vs frightened
Then there's the implants:
Secondary heart - no penalty for low oxygen envirnoments, ignore first critical hit to heart
Ossmodula - immune to critical damage to its ribs as they are a singular bone plate
Biscopea - Brawny feat due to increased muscle mass
In case of Primaris Marine:
Sinew coils - +1AC from metal reinforced sinew
Magnificat - +2 to STR, DEX and CON from further amplification of implants
Belisarian furnace - On dropping to 0 hp, instead drop to 1 hp and heal X, 1/rest
Haemastamen - see secondary heart, better oxygen transmission
Larraman's organ - immune to bleeding damage
Catalepsean node - needs only 4 hours of sleep, fully aware of surrounding while sleeping, no penalty for going without sleep until 14 days
Preomnor - Advantage on saves and resistance against ingested poison
Omophagea - Can read memories by eating creature's flesh
Multilung - Can breathe underwater, advantage on saves and resistance against inhaled poison
Occulobe - Advantage on visual perception, no penalty for dim light, long darkvision
Lyman's ear - Advantage on audible perception at will (not passive), immune to dizziness
Sus-an membrane - As an action, or upon dropping to 0 hp, stabilize and remain unconscious until proper treatment
Melanchromic organ - Advantage on saves vs radiation effects
Oolitic kidney - As a reaction when taking poison damage or becoming poisoned, gain immunity to poison, roll DC? CON save or go unconscious
Neuroglottis - Advantage on checks relying on taste (useable for tracking)
Mucranoid - If treated beforehand, immune to cold or hot environment's hazards
Betcher's gland - Short range poisonous acid spit attack, ignores hardness
Progenoids - By harvesting this implant, a new space marine can be created
Black carapace - Proficiency in power armor, tactical dreadnought armor and imperial vehicles

This guy has a body count.
Very few settings really have the room to criticize other people's intelligence.

From lexicanum:
"Just as their bodies receive 19 separate implants, so their minds are altered to release the latent powers within. These mental powers are, if anything, more extraordinary than even the physical powers described above. For example, a Marine can control his senses and nervous system to a remarkable degree, and can consequently endure pain that would kill an ordinary man. A Marine can also think and react at lightning speeds. Memory training is an important part of the indoctrination too. Some Marines develop photographic memories. Obviously, Marines vary in intelligence as do other men, and their individual mental abilities vary in degree."
I don't think this sounds very much like "borderline retarded".

Adventurers are not all geniuses.

Not even fucking slightly

To be fair, it's at the end of a passageway and looks just large enough to crawl into. It's very much meant to be a trap for the uninformed.

I'm guessing they'd be about CR 13 individually, most likely equivalent to a Storm Giant, replacing the Boulder Throw with Bolter shots and the Lightning Strike with some manner of heavy weapon like a missile.

Now that's just not fair. That module came out in the 80ies or some shit. There was no internet, least not much of one, so D&D information wasn't quite so wide spread. Hardly anyone who ran that back in the day would have known about the trap, hell the whole culture of paranoia and DM dickery comes from that very dungeon. Hell thats where "rocks fall, everyone dies" comes from.

I mean seriously, if you hadn't read the DM's guide would you have even known about the Sphere of Ahnihilation at that point? Where would such an absurd item have even appeared in game?

Sauce?

aren't bolters automatic weapons? I mean the damage might be the same but that shit would probably call for a dex save to avoid getting hit, not armor class.

Also, which marine chapter? Don't the specializations of each chapter make a pretty big difference?

>aren't bolters automatic weapons? I mean the damage might be the same but that shit would probably call for a dex save to avoid getting hit, not armor class.
Sure, make it a 10 foot cube that gets riddled with fire if you prefer it that way.

If a guy is going to be autistically pedantic enough to refer to Orks as 'sentient mushrooms', I think I'm fully entitled to pull out the Green Devil Face.
Fight stupid butthurt with stupid butthurt.

I can't see them besting a storm giant. These are guys who have trouble with orks, who are about as impressive as D&D ogres. And, ogres have a whopping CR of 2.

Even with their technology, they're still not up to snuff against some of the magic that is being thrown around. Their armor, while obviously better than a simple suit of full plate, is not quite up to par with the near-artifact level of +3 armor in 5e. Generously statting it as +2 armor doesn't quite make them impervious and in fact quite vulnerable to creatures far weaker than a storm giant. It also doesn't increase their strength to ludicrous levels, and in fact only increases it by a factor of 20%, making a space marine strong, but not quite as strong as a monster like a hill giant, who can uproot trees with one hand.

Their weapons can be outmatched by the eldritch blasts of a warlock, and their package of neat little tricks is likewise outmatched even by low level characters thanks to the utility of magic.

CR 8 would be generous for your average Space Marine. Their are certainly stronger Space Marines who would qualify for stronger CRs, but very likely most Space Marines would actually fall into the CR 6 range. I'd see them being able to be able to handle a Hill Giant (CR 5) with some effort, but a Stone Giant (CR7) may be too much for a single Space Marine to handle.

Wrong place to ask that question really. On one hand you have the people who will wank 40K all day long, and on the other hand you've the people who don't particularly care for it and will probably lowball it.

All I know is that a gun could probably fuck some guys up. that shit tends to be tougher than a generic bow+arrows

Guns are statted in D&D. They're neat, but they're actually comparable to crossbows. Stronger, but not significantly, because they're both ultimately rather low on the D&D damage scale.

The main reasoning is that the average person has about 4 HP. Guns, crossbows, and the like are easily capable of slaying an ordinary person, but the threats and challenges that high-level adventurers deal with make even siege weapons seem insufficient.

A 40k Bolter is much more than just a simple pistol, but it's still classified as an anti-infantry weapon, even the heavier varieties. Compared to siege weapons they don't really compare, and there's plenty of D&D creatures that can outstrip the damage of a catapult just by strength alone, and can withstand a full siege bombardment better than a castle would.