/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Get your costumes ready, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-10-24 - Still getting worked on & now has 20208 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-09-16!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Ave, true to Caesar.

>Royal retcons are also a pain in the ass to deal with. Royals are an idea that make sense in a vacuum, but if you slow down for ten seconds to consider the impacts of them on fluff consistency you realise how badly they bork continuity.
They work, but the records should have never been saved. Essentially, they should have been the absolute best of the SLDF, saved for Royal Divisions, and all but unheard of outside of those units, and mostly destroyed during the Coup and subsequent Liberation campaigns. The rest would have been destroyed in the Pentagon Worlds, and the Clans only had fragmentary records of what they were.

That reminds me, I need to bug Muninn again.

I hate Halloween, because everyone tries to make my birthday into a shitty Halloween party.

Happy birthday!

gib perseus variants

Happy Bday. If you trick or treated in my neighborhood... KING SIZE SNICKER BARS FOR YOU, MY SON. KING SIZE.

You got it buddy. My birthday isn't until the 30th, but I'll appease the crowd

>This is why I despise the fluff of the Golden Century omnis, and thus the Hellfire. When you have clans like the Blood Spirits still using Royal tech in frontline clusters, it makes no sense to have those omnis mothballed.

I think the thing is that CGL didn't do their homework on other stuff that might look wonky when they introduced Royal variants.

The whole introduction of the Royal mechs seems bit half-assed in all sorts of reasons like when there is some fluff about them being produced in some plants but then they just seem to dissapear alltogether after Jihad. And it seems odd that Clans of all people wouldn't use alot more of Royals instead of going with the Star League variants.

>I mean not that it really matters, just saying.

Don't say it doesn't matter user, because it does! The Word made the Battle Armor facility that the Ravager would eventually be made out of, so assuming the Word would help with making another plant is not strange at all.

>The whole introduction of the Royal mechs seems bit half-assed
I think my whole problem can be summed up at this exact point lol

Man, the Fire Scorpion is not very good but I do love me a totem quad. And a UAC/20. Well played, Goliath Scorpions.

At least it comes with powerful headlights I guess.

On that note if you wanted to impress a Goliath Scorpion chick, what piece of Star League tech would you gift to her?

Post your trick or treating mechs.

Alex Kerensky's personal noteputer.

A NullSig and Chameleon Executioner. She can go exploring for Star League tech in stealthy style now.

Do the Clans have any religious beliefs?

I was just wondering since the writers retconned Blakism from being a religion or whatever.

well practice some furfag shit, not really religious but definitely spiritual.

He wanted to dress up as his dad for Halloween. He went as a Rubbermaid Waste Bin last year.

Technically no.

In practice, yes. Clans Cloud Cobra, Coyote, Nova Cat and Goliath Scorpion all have inherent religious beliefs, and Clan Cloud Cobra spread their religious beliefs to any clan they were allied with, particularly Burrock and then Star Adder.

Religion is implied to be pretty common among the lower castes regardless and is allowed as long as it doesn't get in the way of them doing their job and probably isn't too uncommon among the warriors as long as they still do their work - sort of like how many warriors pick up artistic or other hobbies.

Also some clanners tend to get a religious regarding the Kerenskys.

Unfortunately, apart from those four mentioned clans, especially Cloud Cobra, exactly what religions are common in what clans is left vague. It would also be assumed that the clans in the Inner Sphere get more religious injection into them just be being around it more - at least the ones that are more open with interacting with Spheroids.

Where do you store the candy?

That's the joke.

I like to picture it being painted green and having massively oversized "arms" to hold those guns, with something like a big angry face painted on it, and of course it'll leap a little farther than you'd expect.

Inspired design, sir. And viable, no less.

So a Goliath Scorpion Seeker can take Bondsmen with them right? And those bondsmen have mechs? How many mechs would a group of seekers normally have?

Just wondering what they'd need transport wise and how they get around.

This one thought the Warhammer was always a cool looking 'Mech.

IIRC there's fluff mention of Broadswords hauling Seekers/teams around going Full Dr. Jones; one assumes small teams would be best to go rooting around. Think prospectors.

Here's a question, what kind of bondsman would accept such treatment of being turned into luggage-bitch for the lunatic looking for ancient artifacts?

Do VTOL get external hardpoints like conventional fighters? Do they get the same number? Seems like a warrior h7c would be an absolute steal for a planet looking for a budget defense force

It actually made me want to make a 2/3/2 "pocket heavy" 35 tonner along similar lines.

That's adorable. All we need is a FlashUrb and we'll really be cookin'.

Aha - a star of mechs is about what I'd thought. But would Seekers be allowed to take valuable Omnimechs or would they be stuck with just battlemechs?

As for their teams, Seekers also take members of the other castes, right? I figure they just shanghai some poor labourers. Or maybe some Elementals.

Ok, this may be a bit unsual, but this is my "belief":

I don't believe in a God, not in the Judeo-Christian sense. But I believe that life of earth does appear to be something special and unique.

I believe that since it is so special, if humans are to worship anything it should be Gaia and Sol, the Earth and Sun respectively.
Gaia, Mother Earth, gave birth to all life on earth. Gives us water, land, and that circle of life deal where dead matter can give rise to new lifeforms.
Sol, the father figure, shines light that allows life to be sparked and gives us warmth.

Now I don't really think Sol is sentient. I more just appreciate what it does for us.
And as for Gaia, I'm not sure. Common sense would say the Earth is just the Earth. But we may be limited in our understanding.
If I picked up an ant, then put it down again and it was asked by another ant, "What was that?", how would it explain? Perhaps it is outside out realm of understanding.

But maybe life on Earth is special, is a gift from Gaia. "All life is born of Gaia, and each life has a spirit. Each new spirit is housed in a physical body. Through their experiences on earth, each spirit matures and grows. When the physical body dies, the mature spirit, enriched by its life on earth, returns to Gaia. Bringing with it the experiences… enabling Gaia to live and grow."

Like I said, maybe my appreciation of Sol and deep love of Gaia is silly. But it makes more sense to me than any worship of invisible or mythic people and creatures.

I must caution you that my engineers have completed an advanced Resonance Deathmobile prototype (8-3r-2). The first units are entering service now, rendering my forces practically invincible.

Hm. This one probably goes around with a permanent sunburn. Also, no vehicle flamer ammo because he's too little to be trusted with open flame like that.

...I think you're looking for a different thread, dude. Or a different site entirely.

Pretty sure it's the latter.

It's a joke, man. That pic is from Alpha Centauri (IIRC) which is long established as being Veeky Forums as fuck. The writing is all about that character's religious beliefs which are crazy asf. user is making a joke that Clanners are crazy, like that chick is.

Admittedly, it wasn't that funny a joke, but there you have it.

This one's parents were far less responsible.

Considering the weird shit that gets posted on Veeky Forums, that was well out there. So noted, no worries, and
enjoy your pasta good sir, don't let me stop ya.
Yeah, they'll drag along whoever they want - remember, it's Warriors First, Everyone Else Go Fuck Themselves (until the Warrior says stop) so grab some bondsmen, some technicians, maybe a laborer or twelve, and a scientist or two to *gasp* actually research and find things that the Warrior can say they discovered and pose for selfies with.

No, but you can carry bombs as cargo (1 bomb per 2 tons of cargo space, 2 bombs max).

pfffthahaha nice.

I guess this one is legitimately awesome. Did have to go with experimental tech.

Has anyone tried to make scopedogs or the like as BA?

Either 2ton BA or mid-tier Protos, more likely. They've got the whole 'center torso cockpit' thing going, and protomech autocannons are a thing. Same with the missiles; I'd say 6-8 ton protomech with heelies and see what you can get out of it

Anyone give their mechs paintjobs that reference mechs from anime?

>catch references to mech factories being built or having been completed and now producing mechs in slightly older sourcebooks (not Periphery 1E old, mind you)
>ask about it on the forum, if they're still around
>"Um, not published information, deal with it."

Does CGL just not know their stuff or are they deliberately out to be dicks?

Captcha>>> LACE CALLE

>Ryosuke Takahashi, director of Dourgram and VOTOMS, when asked about the unseen etc in an interview
>As for BattleTech and MechWarrior, I wasn't really aware of the fact that they used the mecha designs and story setting from Dougram. Personally, I don't tend to think about my own copyrights all that much. As long as people are happy with something I've made then that's OK with me. Of course, if Sunrise finds legal problems with copyrights and asks for me to do something about it, then I will consider that. As an individual though, I don't follow those things. In addition, I am not interested in gaming and don't work in that either. Naturally, as a creator I am happy that people in gaming reference my work a lot. I really like that.

>deliberately out to be dicks
Bingo, mate.

He needs a BattleTech Christmas present. They like fried chicken from KFC over there, don't they?

Thoughts on this BA?

>Ravager
Futuristic Deviant Art rape machine

Is that Soltic being piloted by another, tinier Soltic?

Periphery stronk as fuck.

Which of the various BT RPGs do you prefer/think sucks the least?

divingsuit/10

MechWarrior 3rd.

TacOps has rules for it, but normally no.

Is MW online anygood or should I not even bother starting?

>Does CGL just not know their stuff or are they deliberately out to be dicks?

Their fact-checking is so shit that they literally crowd-source it, and if you aren't part of their in-club circle-jerk over there they'll shit on you at every opportunity. Especially if you question things the in-club circle-jerk is or should be doing, like fact-checking.

Aside from the damage system, I like MW 2nd Edition. You'd also need to write rules for a lot of BA, other modern gear, and Protos to work with it though.

MW 3rd Ed and AtoW make a lot of design and layout decisions that annoy me. MW2nd Ed is like the BMR to their Total Warfare; does the same job without the waste of space, much more clearly and easily.

Opinions on that differ. Give it a twirl, keep in mind it's a slow shooter instead of turn-based strategy, and don't give PGI money until you've played for at leayt half a year.

Do we know what was being built at the Blakist mech factory on Baltazar III?

As long as you don't get your hopes up its fine for a free game.

But its really a game that kind of relies on you having a buddy or two to play with to get the most out of it.

Fact
mechs with "hawk" in their name are the best mechs

3E is my favorite, though there's something to be said for 2E's simplicity, especially if you want to whip up characters for a boardgame campaign in just a couple minutes. Also the random campaign event tables in 2E are great, though they could be used with any edition or even other games.

I like AToW on paper, except that it's character creation feels like someone went out of their way to make it three times as complex as it needed to be.

>mor facility that the Ravager would eventually be made out of, so assuming the Word would help with making another plant is not strange at

Remember, if you are not the MoC, you get nothing in the periphery.

Objective truth.

I disagree; other places do get things, like fucked

Never stated as far i know, but probably some TRO:PP model. The probable suspects are the Wasp -3L, PHawk -4L, Ostroc -3C (best candidate), Warhammer -9S, Marauder -5L(source of the Balthazer reference) and Goliath -2H (probably a refit).

But i do not think the CGL guys remember about that factory, or the Lindassa one, or the news that are mentioned in the FM:3145 in the Hegemony.

>Remember, if you are not the MoC, you get nothing in the periphery.

Be fair. Taurians get fully functional Warships and get to drop WMDs on a fullly-fledged Inner Sphere power without any meaningful consequnce, plus they get factories for Mechs (Hatchetman, commando) that are made all the way across the Inner Sphere, for no reason.

And the Outworlds get a pet Clan.

And the Marians get to exist, jumped-up little pirates that they are.

Those are all undeserved things that other Periphery factions get. Maybe if the Taurians hadn't gotten stupid and pulled out of the Trinity alliance, they would have gotten the benefits of being allied to an IS power the way the Magistry did.

You're forgetting the Rim Collection which starts with nothing, gets nothing, and does nothing.

How do we fix the 3025/39 factory situation to be not retarded?
Shitposters need not apply

9.5/10 bait.

I've always said the best bait has some truth built into it.

>Taurians get [a] Warship and get to drop WMDs on a fullly-fledged Inner Sphere power without any meaningful consequnce
>Maybe if the Taurians hadn't gotten stupid and pulled out of the Trinity alliance, they would have gotten the benefits of being allied to an IS power the way the Magistry did.

Those are both outright true, and people should remember them more often when it comes time to accuse Periphery powers of benefitting from fiat. Especially the very first point. Under no circumstances, ever, is it acceptable for a Periphery power to manage to field a Warship when real Inner Sphere powers can barely field them. Sure, they can have some in the Star League era, that's not the shit I'm talking about. Whatever. Any Periphery nation whatsoever having access to Warships in the modern era of Battletech is outright unacceptable fiat bullshit, and it's stupid that nobody ever shits on the Taurians for it.

Mad Max "Hesperus II is just a gigantic warehouse", Low Production or "We totally forgot we had all these 2750 mechs in production" settings?

>Shitposters need not apply

You're in the wrong thread, then

>serious answer: you can't. It's almost 25 years beyond saving. Or however long ago Objective Raids was published.

>100 tons
fucking fatty.

Better?

Ah, the dual-level bait in action, pretty good

I actually have a few ideas, but they kinda need larger armies and still extant primitive-tech stuff to work

I mean, he isn't wrong though. The Taurians getting a fully operational WarShip during the Jihad is pretty absurd and it's something that, as a Taurian fan, I can't approve of.

It will never stop bugging me that the Pixie IIC is 80 tons.

Which of those greentext points is wrong, user?

Because the Taurians did get a Warship, which is bullshit. And the Taurians did get into a nuke fight with a real faction and came out of it still intact (which is a lot like NATO losing to Ethiopia in a straight up formal military engagement). And if the Taurians had stayed allied with the CapCon, they would have gotten to get used as meatshields in exchange for the technical expertise that is the justification for catapulting the MOC's tech level up so high.

So I don't see how that can be bait, unless simply saying something that is verifiably true counts as bait because you don't like it.

I mean, it was literally a WoB ship with a Taurian crew, the wobblies could have given it to a random pirate gang and the results would have been similar

Though honestly the TC randomly going full WoB when literally all info before xon shong described them as being unfriendly to and (justifiably) paranoid of pre-reform C* and solidly pro fochntstar after the split was retarded as fuck
Hell, canonically the MoC was a hotbed of blakism and WoB schemes in the 50s, and that was completely ignored when it came time for the jihad plot to be written

>something... counts as bait because you don't like it
This is *exactly* what people seem to believe these days. Once you understand that, you'll be happier since you can avoid shitty arguments.

>Hell, canonically the MoC was a hotbed of blakism and WoB schemes in the 50s,
That at least would explain the ebin magistrate appearing out of nowhere in the 60s; they're just a bunch of MDs 'on vacation'

I don't know why it doesn't show it, but it has 5 tons of gauss ammo. How big an asshole am I for building this monstrosity?

Go look up the Gausszilla and regret your life choices. And the reason it's not showing up is because MML has a shit output.

>monarcucks
I'd rather die a free man than live as a slave to a noble. FWL for life.

Gausszilla is clantech, has way less armor, and is pathetically slow

>Connection Problems
>Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Oh god, here we go again.

Don't be a slave to a noble, be a noble to slaves!

So am I the only one sitting there going "will they or won't they, just fucking sack Tharkad already so we can start the backup government" in 3150?

>without any meaningful consequnce

What was Matador, then?

Agreed on them staying in the Trinity Alliance, though. That could have helped them a lot, but would have not been a very Taurian thing to do.

I'm not sure there's a way to unless you are willing to do a full slash and burn on fluff that will have the grogs in full REEEEEE mode from here to eternity. It's one of the things where you could fuck around as long as you like but you'll always miss something and as a result always piss someone off.

Dude, I'm purple burd as all fuck, but who the hell do you think rules each state in the FWL?

would you a clanner?

CGS is pretty resource poor for Omnis on Seeker missions before 3067 FM:Updates. You would think too much time seeking visions and treasuries damaged their martial capability, but seeker rights are one of the few freedoms for Warriors from a highly micromanaged command structure. Poor strategy has also taken its toll.

As of FM:WC, Many Seekers are Warriors in Gamma Galaxy, but Gamma is all conventional BattleMechs like CRB-27 Crabs or Glass Spiders. No Omnis.

FM:Updates expanded this to Chi Galaxy, and improved the tech to "Front Line", perhaps from gains due to the Annihilation of CSJ, so their RAT includes Omnis and BattleMechs like the Stormcrow or the Vapor Eagle.

The Touman has a lot of Aerospace (heavier ground-support) and Battle Armor, which coordinates within trinaries or even individual stars.

If you want the common sense answer, how important a Seeker's treasury probably influences what assets are available.

I would befriend and cuddle a tiny protomech pilot who is sad that her life is shit and she has to pilot a protomech I guess.

One thing I'm wondering regarding the CGS RATs - I think the most recent one I saw was in Interstellar Expeditions for the Escorpion Imperio - and what the hell? Did they really lose that many of their omnis? They still seem to have a decent chunk of galaxies left.

Sorry for typos, tired...

tl;dr?
My guess is only the most important Seeker missions would get any front line Omni allocation. The better question may be how many Elementals, how many conventional infantry, armor, or Aerospace fighter-bombers or even a small assault Dropship.

do they make proto mech pilots or are they freebirth people?

CGS really survived the Wars of Reaving, they did not thrive like the Star Adders. Then they had to evacuate from the Clan Homeworlds in a hurry before they could really consolidate their gains. The other Clans... er, frowned upon a certain experiment. I suggest reading about it.

And she isn't the craziest zealot in the game either. Try living next to Sister Miriam Godwinson

>Agreed on them staying in the Trinity Alliance, though. That could have helped them a lot, but would have not been a very Taurian thing to do.

That would have resulted Taurians becoming yet another suburb of the CapCom and you know it. MoC pretty much lost all of it's character due to Trininy Alliance and became just a big Commonality of CapCom. Hell it is so obvious that even characters in novels comment on it.

>That would have resulted Taurians becoming yet another suburb of the CapCom and you know it.

Xin Sheng Xin Sheng.

Seriously though the Taurians were between a rock and a hard place. They could either sign up to the CapCon or reap the whirlwind. They went with reaping the whirlwind, which kept their individuality but not their strength.

The Imperio is where the remnants of the Scorpions fled to and took over.

That said, if I were a Seeker I would be of two minds with using an Omni. On the one hand, sure, they're more flexible. On the other hand, they're more demanding to maintain and if you're off on a solo mission the space you're allocating to parts could be used for supplies. I'd just requisition a Guillotine IIC. Marauder IIC, or Warhammer IIC (preferably the Guillotine, it jumps) and call it a day.

For warming up.

Nightsky 5T, or 4S?

You spoil us, sir.

Protomechs are piloted by aerospace phenotypes. Have to be extra small to fit inside.

They were, until they changed that because haha fuck consistency, late-model Protos can fit Elementals.

>filthy clanners