/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
How do you feel about race-specific classes like the Bladesinger and Battlerager?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=kP8bqIgd5ro#t=1m07
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Those two are only race specific in forgotten realms.

>How do you feel about race-specific classes like the Bladesinger and Battlerager

The classes are fine, and you can flavor it as elf-only as much as you want, but never have hard requirements. That only encourages people to think that the fantasy races are only ever one kind of thing; that human cultures can be as varied as anything in your imagination, but elves are elves and dwarves are dwarves.

What kind of dicerolls would I need to cause piercing damage with an unsharpened fish?

as a DM I always work with my own setting and I lift those restrictions

>5e
>Having other settings

This is less system specific but this happened to me during D&D adventure day ago.
>be invited to new troupe by gm I am familiar with
>have a cool character concept I have been dying to play
>Chaotic Evil Crazy Archfey Warlock Tiefling "Goblin Woman"
>Check with the players and GM that they are cool with this
>They say it's ok since party is pretty CN and an evil overlord wannabe would add direction. Cool.
>Instant my character drops disguise after old customary "tieflings/warlocks hide their appearance" Paladin rushes to kill me until other player points out that Detect Evil doesn't ping and my Wanted Poster prowess that I am kind of a small fry.
>Cool for now.
>Later in the session adrenaline junkie Barbarian is about to refuse sneak and get party killed against overwhelming enemy. Check with the party ooc if I should use Charm Person to save our bacons and get Greenlit. Spend rest of the night with Barbarian player insisting that he is going to kill her.

Reposting from last thread for more advice. What could have I done better? What can I do to avoid this in the future? Anything else I could learn from this?
That said I did have great time it was just these two episodes that sucked.

>How do you feel about race-specific classes like the Bladesinger and Battlerager?
my group rules that that is stupid and we ignore it, so it doesn't bother me at all.

I have never played in or DM'd a game set in a premade setting

I made my own world user :^) no mystics allowed :^)

The only thing I fucking care about is the fact that there is a ton of spells in the wrong schools. Why haven't they changed that shit yet? There is no excuse but sheer laziness.

Give me an example?

I made my own world, mystics only.
No items, final destination.

>session cancelled again

The fun part is that it could be theoretically doable due to how varied Mystics are. At least on early levels.

I've got another hour and a half until my game is cancelled again.

Get on my level.
>Weekly session cancelled
>Again.
>For three months in a row
But my DM has no trouble showing up to MY games, of course.

Bladesinger I don't like as a whole, since it's basically a free AC boost for anyone worried about being too squishy as a Wizard. Battlerager is neat, and flavorwise putting spikes on your armor is something a lot more basic, so having it more widely available is fine by me.

Proficiency in improvised weapons (Tavern Brawler) and a swordfish.

Sending shouldn't be evocation.
Wall of sand shouldn't be evocation
Fabricate shouldn't be evocation
Vitriolic sphere shouldn't be evocation
Wall of stone shouldn't be evocation
Telepathy shouldn't be evocation

And this is just one school. Conjuration and Transmutation also has spells that should be in other schools.

Same thing here, though we did have a session a couple of weeks ago.
The worst part is I was about ready to write this campaign off for good and play Edge of the Empire with some friends at the same time. And then we get a session, and now it's cancelled and I have no idea what's going on or what to do.

I feel sad for you, user.

How would you scale space guns? With Dex?

Oh sweet Pelor how the HELL did I forget about swordfish? Thanks user!

>I feel sad for you, user.
I just wish he had the balls to actually say he doesn't want to DM the game, instead of finding some bullshit excuses like being busy, or "oh noes, two players out of SEVEN can't show up, and this is a very important session, I'll pospone it until everyone can make it"

Nigger, I don't care how important it is (and I bet it fucking isn't that important at all), you postponed it for THREE MONTHS

>scale space guns

Make them bigger? Magic or engineering.

By Jove you're right! How could sending even be mistaken for Evocation in the first place?

I feel you, user.
We had 3 weeks' sessions cancelled on us in a row, but luckily things lined up extra-perfectly last weekend and we ran a marathon 9 hours (plus breaks)

Why not sending and telepathy?

Wut. Sending has been evocation since forever.

d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm

I think we're in the same group.

Dex to hit, no modifier to damage

>future space guns
>needing human input to be aimed

What stat should add to damage like with great axes and STR

not that user, but I seem them more as invasive divination magic.

>How do you feel about race-specific classes like the Bladesinger and Battlerager?
I like them

We might be.

>implying human only setting

Dexterity Modifier. They are guns, so being able to point them in the right direction is useful.

Now, Longbows on the other hand should be str based....

What are some useful languages to have? My group's running ToA, so I assume this is the standard Forgotten Realms setting.

The point is that these guns should be so advanced that they fucking fly and point themselves and never miss. This ain't fucking Star Wars where no one has invented a fire control system and droids are no better at physics than humans.

Bring back race-as-class. Or at least subrace-as-class.

>Halfling only setting
>Everybody inherits the Lucky feat

No 1's for you you sadist.

>Str based
>Not using Con

Starting off? Draconic, Goblin, and Orcish. Those come up all the time for enemies, regardless of setting/adventure. Most friendlies will share the Common language.

Also, someone should look at the Anthropologist background.

>This ain't fucking Star Wars where no one has invented a fire control system and droids are no better at physics than humans.
It's not? I...need to remake a character...

Playing my first game of DnD as the DM today with 4 friends who have never touched RPGs before (I have a little bit of experience in PTF and RT as a player though), knowing us it'll probably still be fun despite how horribly it will go.

My Wild West setting has Dex-based guns and Str-based crossbows / longbows.

>Also onlyavailable class is Divination Wizard
We are all memes on this blessed day :^)

Draconic and giant are ancient languages and show up in a lot of games at some point. Goblin is often relevant and fun in early parts of games.

is there ANYTHING an all-Mystic party couldn't do that any other party composition could?

Be AL legal.

>play once a week, sometimes once in two weeks, sometimes twice in one week
>only 3 players + DM though
>could really use a fourth to round out the party, but the group is pretty tight and don't want to bring in an acquaintance from one of our oneshots/other groups

>Str-based crossbows

Just get a lever or a winch to help pull it back.

Not be faggots?

Wear full plate.
Make two attacks per round forever.

I know it has and it's been wrong forever. How is sending an evocation spell? It's mental based and belongs to shit like divination, and enchantment. Even illusion is a better fit

Teleport the whole group. Summon. Cross planes.

Survive an anti-magic zone?

Disgusting

I chuckled sensibly.

STR-based crossbows makes a lot less sense than STR-based longbows? Their draw force is constant, accuracy is what makes a difference

These are crossbows on crack. They have PARITY with guns. We're talking such high tension and draw weight that you need rippling muscles WITH the lever and winch.

Like a longbow, you can always make a crossbow with higher and higher draw weight.

Psionics isn't magic and thus not subject to a silly anti-magic field.

Portable arbalests? I like it!

What are peoples' opinions about the Hexblade video? Did they drop the sentient weapon thing and just make it the Shadowfell itself?

Embrace it user no ones the best or even good on their first go ahead

And gastraphetes.
>the Fighter cocks his bow by shoving it into your chest

>Like a longbow, you can always make a crossbow with higher and higher draw weight.
So if you have +2 STR and pick up a crossbow off a creature that had +4 STR, do you get +4 on rolls with it? Or are you unable to reload it because you're not strong enough?

Doesn't anyone else have any advice?

No, because your writing is incoherent as fuck and I don't care about your bullshit enough to try to decipher it

Odds are you're all thatguys

You just don't draw it back as far. They all have sequential ratcheting systems so those who are stronger can draw them back further before firing.
>could someone stronger load the gun for someone weaker
That falls under the "don't be a cheeselord" rule we run on.

Ah, the old psionic-switcheroo. I'm sorry, I thought this was /5eg/ where it is magic.

>survive an anti-psionic zone.

Wouldn't he need to be behind you to cock it like that?
Nothin personnel, kid

Even in settings where it's not magic, there's often magic-psionic transparency which means anti-magic fields do affect psionics (and vice versa).

>Psionics isn't magic and thus not subject to a silly anti-magic field.
Hasn't it been, like, a year since you last started this shit?
Yes, it is magic, and it is affected by anti-magic and counterspell. It literally says so in the Psionics UA.

And if you start the "It's not CANON, previous editions said differently, FUCK MERALS AND FUCK 5E PEOPLE" shit again, I'll know for sure you're the same autist.

Your crossbow mechanics seem too complicated. Whatever happened to Roll+Mod+Prof vs AC/DC?

>was
>Anti-psionic zone
Can you imagine the amount of autistic screeching that would create?

>It's not CANON
Fuck, I remember this guy too. This thread was pretty wild.

Gotta bring back a taste of 3.pf to spice things up. Then keep doing it until the game is completely ruined.

Patron is a powerful smith who makes weapons channeling power from the shadowfell. It's a mix of Raven Queen and Hexblade from the UA.

>Whatever happened to Roll+Mod+Prof vs AC/DC?
only TNT and Night-prowlers work like that.

No one cares about your shitty homebrew. The UA says that anti-magic and counterspell work on psionics.

That's how it works. The whole ratching stuff is just the in-universe explanation for these crossbows' construction and using Str instead of Dex. There's no special rules beyond "uses Str, if you want".

Nah. Gastraphetes are "belly bows". You brace the stock against your gut and shove the beam into the ground to force it (and the bolt loaded into it) back onto the string.
youtube.com/watch?v=kP8bqIgd5ro#t=1m07

What 5e lacks is 20,000 different weapons with individual combat rules that nobody can be bothered to memorize

And penalties for sleeping in ar-oh wait...

why are you arguing angrily with someone who agrees

Do we know if those are going to be immediate penalties? Or just bedsores after a couple days without taking off and washing your full-plate?

Ah yeah I see now, I was looking at it wrong. That said it would be pretty fun to grapple an enemy from behind and load a crossbow with his stomach like DeCaprio in The Titanic

missed a do/don't

Where are the more complicated rules?

The ability to create specters is awesome

We don't know any specifics yet, beyond there being a section of the new book referencing sleeping in armor.

Frankly, i am not entirely sure what is your problem. Is it IC party conflict? Are other players pissed on you OoC? You want us to help you outmunchking them if it comes to PvP?

It seems like you're still in the awkward phase of getting to know each other. If i were better socially adjusted, i might have something to say about that, but i do not. Maybe talking with them?

Never change /5eg/

There aren't any, he's just bad at reading.

Can someone post Tortle Package?