Is there any sort of precedent for a fighting style combining a sword and a chain? Like...

Is there any sort of precedent for a fighting style combining a sword and a chain? Like, hooking an opponent to draw them in, or their weapon, and swacking them with a sword?
Would I be a huge faggot for wanting to make a character who uses this combo?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U4iiJmZZtOs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sword-chucks, yo.

/thread

>Is there any sort of precedent for a fighting style combining a sword and a chain?
Sort of.
Historic ninjas in Japan would have a weight attached to a chain they would tangle up opponents in before running in to shank them and run away.

Toe to toe fighting? Historically? Not that I know of. Chains are hard weapons to control at the best of times.

>Would I be a huge faggot for wanting to make a character who uses this combo?
Not really, its a cool idea. Its just not historically accurate

I can't help but think of maybe some gladiator doing it. I swear it's right on the front of my brain but I can't place the exact time I saw it.

the logistics of pulling someone in with a chain would require you to be very strong. As in a fight where you're using a lot of energy you'd want to do this quickly and probably to more than one enemy. This would be suitable for a large heavy-type character than it would be for a ninja/sword fighter

Historically speaking chains weren't used for this, but whips occasionally were. Its a neat idea

>throw chain past enemy
>drag it back hooking them
>hack them with your sword
Then what? Once your hook gets stuck you're fucked.

Rip it out like a cool guy.

There was a fierce Maori warrior who used this combo. He wore the face of a pig to put fear into his enemies. He was exiled for the great devastation he caused, though, and wandered the world spreading mayhem with his companion, a mythical fire beast.

Gyrspike.

You almost got me, you tricky...man

The Kusarigama are kinda what you are describing.

The Japanese loved chain weapons.

They often used a chain in one hand and a war sickle in the other, which is what led to the development of the kusarigami. Using a chain and a sword wasn't really done, but it's not too much of a stretch.

First thing that came to mind when I saw this thread, 10/0

>The Japanese loved chain weapons.
As did the Chinese, particularly monks

seems more useful to just have a longer sword instead of using a chain to draw the enemy closer
>Would I be a huge faggot for wanting to make a character who uses this combo?
being a bit fantastical in your weapon choice is like the smallest sin you can commit in fantasy roleplay

I can think of Kurapika and Kratos from the top of my head as chain fighters

You know what you gotta do.

I don't get it.

Chains are two-handed weapons, user. Like the ones in Swords on a chain are a terrible idea. It'd be just about impossible to get the edge alignment on a hit right. That's why flails use balls.

>Chains are two-handed weapons, user. Like the ones in
It depends on the kusarigama.

Some kusarigama needed both hands to effectively use the chain while some could use the chain with one hand.

roadhog you goon

Gladiators wore shitty armors so the audience would see more gore, shitty decorated helmets that hindered vision so they'd be more amusing to watch, ans shitty weapons so they'd resemble animals or look "cool".

This net only works because the other guy's helmet is designed to get tangled in it. It's the classic Retiarius vs Murmillo (Fisherman vs Fish) gladiator combo.

Gladiators were exceptional athletes and performers because they had to fight with really bad equipment designed on purpose to fuck with them.

None of it is meant to work in the real world.

Chinese had chain whips. They didn't hook + pull, though, they just cut on their own.

>Gladiators
>Gore
Get that Hollywood fag shit out of here

>Gore
A little bit of blood really gets the crowd going
And a shallow, very survivable slash with a poorly sharpened sword will produce a lot of blood

Well what the fuck do YOU think haopens when a bare midsection is deeply lacerated with a fucking gladius? Let me guess: you think confetti comes out? Get REEAL kiddo. Top kek. Holy fucking lel

Are you a fucking stupid?

>deeply
And that's the problem.
Gladiators were basically professional wrestlers. They choreographed the shit out of their shows, and hit each other with very shallow hits.
There's a historical record of a guy who went 0-8 in the arena. Never won, never died.

Basically, any sharp edges or points were either dulled or too wide to cause deep cuts or punctures.
The people running the show wanted blood but not deep grievous wounds

So a ragged shallow tear is the best kind of cut. Low chance of actual injury, nice blood flow to get the crowd going

This guy is right. Gladiatorial matches were often non-lethal performances outside of venator (man vs beast) matches and even those rarely resulted in the venator being killed. Gladiators even had special diets to build up extra fat to prevent shallow cuts from hitting organs.

I know the japs have/had a thing for chain fighting

I've seen chains used as a improvised weapon(s) but they're pretty shit for "real" fighting.

That said, fuck those guy's, go rule of cool
youtube.com/watch?v=U4iiJmZZtOs

Hold on, what's the arguments here?

I think it depended on the local customs.
Certainly you don't just kill off a professional showman that costs millions to maintain, but if you need to show off how brutal a champion is you can sacrifice a few rookies.
I think some local battles in smaller towns might have been deadlier too, the empire was big.

...Plus, even if the intent was to just wound, you can imagine the safety measures and healthcare the shittier gladiators got.
I'm sure it was a dangerous job (in some places more than others).

Plus, when they pit you against a bull or a crocodile in a venatio, certainly it's harder to fix a match.

See, the trick is to tie something hard and heavy at the end of the chain. This way you could spin it up so it hits like a motherfucker.

Think a flail but more chain and less stick.

The Chinese actually liked using chain weapons as a backup weapon. The idea was that you could wrap it around your arm or waist for easy, low profile carry.

It depends on how you define "real" fighting.

It wasn't a battlefield weapon, but pretty popular for street use.

Not sure if it's helpful, but Stitches from warcraft, who's also a playable 'hero' in heroes of the storm uses a hooked chain and a cleaver like sword

First battle in Gladiator in the arena when the gladiators are all paired up in twos with chains and the enemies are camping the opening gate.

Actually I rewatched it and misremembered it. The opposing gladiator has a flail, but the Germanian does use that scholar's hand on the chain as a chain weapon after he's killed.

pudge from dota used to use a meat cleaver until blizzard sued and made valve change it to a pizza cutter

Well, Pudge WAS based exactly on the WC3 Abomination model (Since that's what he was in the original dota)

yeah, he was a direct ripoff of Blizzard's intellectual property until they made them change it

>meat cleaver changed to a pizza cutter
>guts spilling out changed to an apron with spilled tomato sauce on it
I am surprised they didn't replace the hook with some pizza dough or something

>also replaced skeleton king because blizzard owns all skeletal kings
>windrunner made to gay marry drow ranger because blizzard owns "Windrunner" too, despite there being some film from the 1970s with the title "Windrunner"
not sure how they got away with not changing her ability from "Windrun" to "Windrange" though

>because blizzard owns "Windrunner" too, despite there being some film from the 1970s with the title "Windrunner"
Blizzard shouting infringement over any use of "Windrunner" and Blizzard shouting infringement in the context of slutty elven vidya archers wearing hoods named "Windrunner" are two very different things.

she has round ears, different hair, and doesn't wear a hood, although I understand how the confusion could come about