/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
How often do you roll a new character mid-campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane Shift Zendikar.pdf
d1bf78c87087c77d76ca-be4120a00702a7d33079a120750230c5.r45.cf1.rackcdn.com/Plane Shift Innistrad SFG_2.pdf
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/plane-shift_amonkhet.pdf
youtu.be/CCBfJBf-t2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=miomuSGoPzI&ab_channel=schmoyoho
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Rape edition?

Never, because the campaigns I'm in rarely ever reach mid-campaign.

When my faggot DM makes a DMPC to cockblock any rape. Then I reroll a character for the sole purpose of moulding him to take down the DMPC.

>How often do you roll a new character mid-campaign?
I never have. The other two players in my current campaign have each swapped out characters twice in the three years we've been playing. In each case it was a combination of desire to play a new character, and the current character's stake in the story being more or less resolved.

Your group sounds cancerous.

Where is Op's picture from?

A couple of times. Usually if i'm trying out something that turns out not to be fun. I did it recently when my character had an agenda that was clearly incompatible with the rest of the parties. They wanted to go on some big adventure from a Dragon God to go save the world, my character was the widow of a long dead hero, who wanted to become an Arch-Lich and make his OP Magic sword her phylactery to make sure it could never fall into evil hands.

I tried out a Gnome Mystic, found out that they were bullshit. My flaw was that I hit on every woman I met, regardless of race, then my GM decided to kill me via Snu-Snu with a pureblood Orc.

>How often do you roll a new character mid-campaign?

Never though the conclusion of my group's current arc next session may change that answer to once. My barbarian is fatigued and the town is being assaulted by at least three separate evil factions.

I am looking to try and run a Planeshift, has anyone got any experience with it?

media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane Shift Zendikar.pdf
d1bf78c87087c77d76ca-be4120a00702a7d33079a120750230c5.r45.cf1.rackcdn.com/Plane Shift Innistrad SFG_2.pdf
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/plane-shift_amonkhet.pdf

Where is the easiest plane to start and anything specifically I should not allow due to it being bullshit?

Shopped page from Goblin Slayer

How would you guys suggest doing the card reading for COS? I'm torn between prepping it beforehand or just doing it completely random.

Seconding

>Shopped
It's cropped, but not tampered.

I recommend rolling before hand just so you can change it if you get that one reading that is much harder for the players than the others

That's actually pretty funny.

That's what I was thinking. Roll it beforehand and fluff the reading when the players do it themselves

>Minotaurs use heavy bows and javelins, and take special delight in firing into the middle of enemy formations to sow as much chaos and confusion as possible.
>Has literally nothing in their rules to help them with bows.

Kaladesh and Amonkhet are both exotic, and Zendikar would be better suited for OSR style play.
Unless you're , Innistrad seems the best choice. Really though, read up on Kamigawa.

>Be a Warlock
>DM puts mages with Counterspell in every encounter
>Almost exclusively targets me with them, even for just Eldritch Blast, and ignore the paladin and druid

Get 65 feet away from the caster

Anyone else find DMing to be fun as fuck? You get to be really creative and spontaneous.

Buy loads of acid and start throwing.

Are there rules for mining in 5e?

No, it's largely up to the DM, like most things out of combat.

DMs, would you allow Arcane Archer (Fighter) class features to apply to the Gunsmith (Artificer)'s thunder cannon?

RAW, arcane shots only mention shortbows and longbows.

Who is your favorite celebrity DM? Mine is the ever lovely Satine Phoenix.

I'd be willing to houserule something potentially. It's not like either is overly amazing

I'm a fan of Matt Mercer, he's just a great human being in general.

>Slut
>Dude bro

I think we all know who is best DM

Also gonna go with matt mercer
honorable mentions to chris perkins - been my nigga for over 10 years and gradually worked his way up the company

matt colville is also cool and makes great videos but I'm not sure he counts as a celebrity

I'm trying to homebrew up a sci fi campaign any advice?
>inb4 don't or use a different system

>>>/Starfinder/

what kind of sci fi game are you thinking about?

>Mfw someone took my 5 minute GIMP edit and made it an OP
Feels good man.

I think if Griffin McElroy

a) didn't have to pander to a certain subset of people, and
b) didn't railroad so hard

he'd be a real fucking good DM. Of course, it would also help if more than one of the three players in his games actually gave a shit.

Space fantasy sort of a mix of spell jammer and borderlands, the PCs are fish out of water that find a starship

Play it like Stargate. Have the players venture from their low tech world and start encounting people with high tech wizardry. Hand out the Modern or futuristic firearms in a similar way to magic items. Start the players at around level 4 so they don't die to the first guy with a gun they meet.

That's what you get for playing the most OP class in the game
Just take Counterspell yourself and round it out.

I'd be more likely to have similar features be learned or discovered or developed. Like, something happens which enables them to piece it together during downtime; or, they do a favor for an Arcane Archer sort of character who shares certain techniques.
That sort of thing

If I was worried about feature strength I might tie it to a somewhat limited resource that can be further gated should it prove to be a problem--like pic related.

Damn, ah well, I'll try to find something.

Matt Mercer. He makes even the worst parts of Critical Role entertaining.

>Mercer
>Dudebro

Nah it seems like he is a recovering emo kid/hippie probably slight SJW but he really doesn't force it. Just listen to parts of his Q&A

youtu.be/CCBfJBf-t2Y

>That part at 1:20:00 that ends with him sobbing

The first time I heard she had gone into D&D I was sure she was going to be a dumb bimbo who was keeping it as a facade

Watching some of her work on Geek and Sundry and some of her DM work confirms I was wrong, she seems to genuinely enjoy these things

>Your group
No, user. Tell it like it is. That other user sounds cancerous. Super-AIDS, really.

Or I could use a good system that my group and I are comfortable with.

>b) didn't railroad so hard
I didn't mind that as an observer and I don't think his family cared overmuch, because most of what really mattered and made things interesting was done in the margins between the railroad bits.
But I did have to laugh at how his whole "no-railroad sandbox" time loop arc was the most railroaded of any of them because he didn't think about how it would effectively just be him saying "that doesn't work" until they find a singular solution.

Easily Chris Perkins, if he counts as a celebrity.

What's wrong with Starfinder?

This is the most important paragraph in Spelljammer.
Don't lose sight of it. And keep away from planar travel.

I don't like Pathfinder

>lafiel

Probably that it's based on PF (and by extension, 3.5) so it's not that great if you aren't into Algebra: The Game

A friends says 5e is the beginner rpg and once you get good you move onto Pathfinder. He's pretty smart but in this he's fucking retarded.

Once you get good you stay with 5e because it's objectively the better designed rpg and it's actually fun.

Thanks I'll keep it in mind

Yeah. Any time spent trying to learn Pathfinder after 5e would be far better put to use playing or prepping for a 5e game.

Holy shit I think I fapped to her a couple days ago

next time one of my players asks me if they can play Matt Mercerâ„¢'s Gunslingerâ„¢ they're getting pistolwhipped

Or just learning a more-different RPG. There are all sorts of interesting games, no reason to limit your self to a family of bastard siblings.

How many grit points does that cost?

I can't even get my friends to learn Call of Cthulu for a Halloween one-shot

>mfw "can't we just run a horror campaign using 5e instead"

You can get EK's range up to stupid levels and ignore cover with a feat and an invocation, I think.

>Say yes to this
>Their turns start taking 20minutes each
>Tries to skip reloads
>Have to hear bitching when they break their gun
>Throws a fit when I call him out of not having ammo left

It's a fine class balance wise but I never want to play with one

Damn straight bro!

>the most OP class in the game

nigga you fucking high? Warlock is not even that strong.

What's your favorite school of magic to specialize in as a wizard? What makes it particularly fun and/or powerful?

Transmutation. Fun gimmicks without being overpowered. Home to a number of the most iconic and powerful spells in the game like Haste, Polymorph, and Time Stop. Free con save proficiency is nice too.

Illusion is my favorite high-risk-high-reward power gaming school though.

>None of my friends want to play D&D even after I offer to set up a one-shot, told to drop it
>Group Finder Thread/Reddit LFG are dead
>No one that I know of plays it in my area
>The only local game shop within 30miles has it one day a week, and apparently its one campaign that is while I am at work (1pm-4pm)
>They are the only people who show any interest in D&D, they tried signups and shit and got zero responses

HELP ME. I just want to learn to play DnD and play a few campaigns. Watching AI/Crit Role made me interested, and I would love to experience it for myself since I am VERY AWARE of the fact what I have watched is not standard

How do I optimize for butchering and cooking gnomes?

I've had good luck with /r/LFG in the past. It's slow but if you keep checking on it you could easily have a spot in a convenient timeslot for you by the end of the week.

>high-risk-high-reward
I feel like high-risk-high-reward should mean sometimes its really good and sometimes it's really bad, not it depends how my DM is feeling today

Pheonix Sorcerer, Protector Aasimar lore wizard undying light warlock multiclass. Turn Eldritch blasts into Fire blasts. Or go fiend, Kiss of Mestopheles and maximize Fireball with your zeal cleric levels.
Or some dumb scorching ray build. Either way leave the butchering to your dumb fighter friend.

>Bard Cast Conjour Animals!
youtube.com/watch?v=miomuSGoPzI&ab_channel=schmoyoho

I take it back, that was a good way to blast all that meat to an inedible crisp, and not a particularly optimized one. To kill gnomes, you must find gnomes and grant them a swift kill so as not to release stress hormones into the meat (not good for you, assuming you intend to eat them). Assassin with the gourmet feat background is an option. Unrevised Ranger would allow you to choose gnomes as a favored enemy, which seems thematic. You would eventually pick up Flame Arrows which would solve both of your problems with one stone's throw.

Lizardfolk Ranger (favoured enemy: gnomes, more gnomes), any background that gives you cooking tools proficiency, Gourmand feat. Use any kind of slashing weapon (refluffed as a large meat cleaver), and maybe take magic initiate for Create Bonfire, Produce Flame and Burning Hands.

I like Abjuration. The ability to soak damage away from team-mates might not be the strongest thing, but I like being a team player

Got a wizard player that bemoans that summoning is so much lamer in this edition than it used to be. How's this sound?

Summon Monster
casting time: 1 action
range: 60 feet
duration: concentration, up to 1 minute

Summon a monster of a CR no greater than the level of spell slot used to cast this spell at a chosen point in range. It moves on the turn it is summoned on its own initiative. If you lose concentration on the spell then the monster is no longer under your control and may become hostile.

Certainly too good as a first level spell, but I think it'll work fine at level 2 and up. There's also probably a few specific monsters that should be banned.

As long as the DM chooses it. Otherwise that seems like far too much utility for a single spell.

Zeal Cleric looks fun. What's the best way to cheese it up?

Just don't get so carried away with Fireballs that you forget your job

I literally used all my slots to kill big groups of enemies in a game, only for someone to fucking die...and I couldn't revivify...

Odd, that exact scenario happened to a zeal cleric I played with in a oneshot.

What's wrong with that? If God wants my cohorts to live, they'll live. I'm here to purge evil.

Yeah, well, don't forget to remind them that they're bad at games. There's no excuse!

What's the best class and build for someone who wears heavy armor and is super pissed off and has a greatsword?

Then you're bad at games, too! This is the perfect thread for you!

Vengeance Paladin checks all those boxes very nicely.

It's too versatile/broad. There's different spells for that reason, limit it to a certain monster type.

Also, wait for XGE for demon summoning spells.

That's kinda rude, user

Oh, right. Sorry, /5eg/.

He's right to say it's a gateway RPG, he's wrong to recommend Pathfinder.

So they say an adventuring day is supposed to have 6-8 medium encounters. I don't think I've ever had more than three encounters in a day. Hell as a DM I usually aim for one or two more difficult ones when not in a dungeon, and even when inside a dungeon its never more than four a day.

Does anyone here actually do this 6-8 stuff?

Best thing about 5e is that it is extremely modular once you know the rules. Makes every campaign a little different since I change a lot of shit for the party.

I tried it using the princes of apocalypses many tables of madness, but it just turned into a drinking game where if you dont act on your madness you take a swig.

Fun as it was, it was anything but horror.

Do you carry a lot of salt when fighting unholy creature?

Encounters aren't combat-only. Social encounters and traps count too.
Anything that gets them to spend resources (spell slots, potions, etc)

That pit trap that seems as stupid? You got the healer to spend a spell slot, the paladin to use lay on hands, the fighter to spend indomitable or second wind, or the PC to drink a potion.

Evocation.
I'm a simple guy, I just want to render all creation to ashes.

Abjuration is my second favorite because I also like to play the magic police and kill all wicked wizards.

Really hope War Wizard is good in Xanathar's, abjurstion + evocation is my dream.

>Summon a monster of a CR no greater than the level of spell slot used to cast this spell
No. Look up what CR the "Conjure X" spells call forth at what level and keep to that or go under.

Oh okay, now that makes more sense. Someone else told me it was combat encounters, good to know he's a fool.

CR maps to 4 PCs of that level

So I rolled once to see what if I liked what I got:

Tome: Abby of the saint
Symbol: Eva's encampment
Sword: Blue water inn
Stradh's enemy: vallakovich
Stradh's location: his tomb

This seems pretty bad, can any DM's confirm?

Besides, Druids are the top summoners of this edition. It's the one thing they are truly best at, having the most and lowest-level conjuration spells. Practically the entire rest of their rather limited spell list is shared with the Wizard or Cleric.

If your player wants to summon shit, he picked the wrong class. Wizards already get lots and lots and lots of other goodies.

I got sword in the inn, and honestly it made things a lot easier for the PCs since they picked it up super fast. Symbol in the camp also seems pretty good.

>conjure minor elementals summons 1 CR 2 monster, level 4 spell
>conjure elemental summons 1 CR 5 monster, level 5 spell

I'm not certain they know what they're doing.