How do you feel about Harry Potter goblins as a race in other settings?

How do you feel about Harry Potter goblins as a race in other settings?

Other urls found in this thread:

kissmanga.com/Manga/Goblin-Slayer
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

breddy gud
as orcs are to elves, goblins are to gnomes
I like the idea of them having to compensate for their stature with magic and mechanical cunning, and being more neutral and self serving than outright evil

not jewish enough

If im going to use blatant Jewish stereotypes I'll just use the Ferengi.

>filename
kek

>inb4 goblin slayer

What's with this meme? I keep hearing it around Veeky Forums lately. Is it about that comic that brought us "I'M SAD"?

TBQH they would make a good gnome.

No, it's a japanese power fantasy manga.

Why not just use gnomes?

Mind bringing me up to speed on what makes it memeworthy?

You mean Yrth goblins of course

Whenever someone brings up Goblins there's always someone who starts posting Goblin Slayer

The name speaks for itself.

They are gnomes, that are a bit more ugly

Oy vey

We already have the Jews, they're called dwarves.

These are more overtly malicious.

Not enough characterization to even identify them as Goblins from Harry Potter if put in another setting.

They are on the level of folk tale creature with caricature human face number #9999.
No point in using them or giving them consideration on the level of a race.
If you invest that little you deal with singular fairy tale characters that just happen to do a thing and look like just another human drawn ugly.

Well, duergars, whatever.

the fuck is his problem? why does he hates goblins so much?

Saw his sisters get raped to death by goblins

This isn't a exageration, this is exactly what happened and its shown in detail

Along with the vast majority of his village

that makes me...SAD

The main character lives in a setting where two gods are basically playing a game of D&D or something. Goblin Slayer's goblin related autism is so powerful that it basically makes him immune to the gods dice rolls. In the greater scheme of this this doesn't really matter that much because all he wants to do is kill goblins.

Goblins x Goblin Slayer? Man, that would be an interesting crossover.

>he thinks the Ferengi are a Jewish stereotype
We can discuss this, but you'll soon notice that they're a stereotype for something else.

kissmanga.com/Manga/Goblin-Slayer
It's about a group playing D&D, but the manga drops all the scenes from the LN that make that obvious.
The titular character is that group's That Guy; who insists the group do nothing but genocide goblins.
>I'M SAD
No, that's a webcomic called Goblins. I've seen edits adding Goblin Slayer's helmet though.

Republicans can't recognise their own :^)

WE WUZ SPACE MANZ AND SHIEEEET!!!!

They're an immensely fun invention though

I prefer these goblins

why does /pol/ see Jews everywhere? Why are they so obsessed with Jews?

Autism

In harry potter it's pretty fucking obvious what the goblins are a parody of. They are described exactly how /pol/ describes Jews.

And given how Gringots Bank has a 6 pointed star on the floor in the films I'm pretty sure that the scenery teams for the films were in on it as well.

Isn't Rowling a massive SJW or something though?

Yes, which does not alter the fact that she made a race of /pol/Jews for a children's book.

HP goblins resemble Jewish stereotypes, I should mention my game has jews.

Well, she is now. The books were written years ago, before people really had Twitter from which to signal how righteous they are.

Mine too, but they're violent zealots not comfy bankers

SJWs absolutely despise her because of things like these Jewish stereotype goblins, declaring Dumbledore is gay post-series without letting her works make that abundantly clear but benefiting from this false display of inclusiveness nonetheless, saying that Native American folklore was really just another branch of her world's magic, etc.

Of course, there's plenty of shallow, self-congratulatory liberals like her who think she's a champion of justice. But once you start playing the SJW game, you will soon realize that there is no pleasing them.

The only real important thing that sets them apart is that they don't seem to understand or believe in the idea of a sale. If they make a thing, even on commission, they retain ownership of it and will eventually come to collect it (usually after the original "buyer" dies). This is obviously at odds with human ideas on ownership.

I've never heard 1 (one) SJW ever complaining that Jews are goblins. This is only something /pol/ spams, and this is something that usually only 1 jew-obsessed user on Veeky Forums spams in particular

Honestly could use one as the other, renaming and excluding the other as necessary depending on the tone of your campaign. There's enough crossover that picking a focus among 'small mischievous cunning feral backstabbing ugly jewish trickster magicians' could really depend on what flavour of world you're building.

Mercadian style goblins feral tribal gnomes. It's a spectrum.

In a sense. I'd say she's more like a proto-SJW from before the term really existed (e.g. most of her writing was done more than a decade before Tumblr came into being) and her views don't always mesh with the stereotypical SJW 100%.

For example, consider how Goblet of Fire has a C plot about Hermione trying to "liberate" the house elves. Standard SJW writing would've presented her as being absolutely in the right, with the house elves being oppressed and brainwashed and merely needing to be taught how much they dislike being enslaved. Rawlings, on the other hand, presented them as beings who genuinely enjoy slavery and Hermione as being misguided and even obnoxious for trying to force her system of beliefs on them.

I know that everything has to be political nowadays, but I honestly think that a lot of JKR's supposed political statements were made in almost complete ignorance and only "expanded on" once zealous fans started pestering her about them. That's why only the very latest works actually have signs of political pandering (e.g. all the minorities in the Fantastic Beasts movie, which also incidentally made about half the cast Jews).

Buddy, there are people on Tumblr who think green-skinned witches are Jews and shit their pants when you give spellcasters green skin. I wish I were you.

Of all the things Jews are, I'm pretty sure green isn't one. Why the connection?

There's some long-winded historical context for it that I don't recall, and I'm pretty sure it was proven to be bullshit in the end anyway.

Dollars

Violent expansionist warlike old testament jews are best jews.

Rowling has recently been attacked for her depiction of the H.P. Goblins as they have been labeled by various Jewish groups as anti-semitic due to their point for point of a "Racist" stereotypical attributes. It's not just "muh /pol/" who sees it.

I don't believe she designed those characters while ringing her hands together and rambling to herself in German, but anyone can see why the association has been made.

...I can sorta see it. I mean, they basically ARE the stereotypes made manifest, like the Ferengi.

Might have been helped if they were ever depicted doing anything other than holding onto dosh.

Not a bad idea actually.

Obviously she never meant for them to be seen as a racist caricature but she clearly envisioned the Goblins as a stand-in for the Jewish people. However I doubt most people would actually care what her reasons are as they won't really make the connection in their minds. Those who shout against her for this are looking to be offended in some manner, imo.

They also did other stuff. They backstab like champions

Well they are actually better magicians than human wizards and the only reason they are not more powerful than them is because wizards don't want them to have wands.

The setting is really, really, really, really shit.
Goblins only survive on rape and murder and feel no shame about it.

It's also a Seinan manga which apparently are known to have more "adult" themes in them. I do agree that the setting is pretty bad, it'd be less insufferable if rape wasn't so fucking common in the series. It'd be great if they spent more time world building and less time jerking it to goblin rape.

While it's not dwelt upon, the books do make clear that they have it rough in certain ways. Like the other sentient magical creatures (centaurs, house elves, etc.) they aren't recognized as "people", don't have citizenship and can't own wands, and the wizards treat them like absolute garbage. There were also over a dozen "goblin rebellions" of varying sizes throughout history, and the expanded universe offers details implying not all were just them being unruly (e.g. one started because wizards lynched some goblins for something completely unrelated during a time of racial tension).

Holy shit that was fucking dumb.

It is mentioned by a goblin that as crap as things are for them now under Vodermort things were so much worse.

He then acknowledges that Harry is probably the only one that can stop Voldermort.

The goblin then tries to kill them all for very minor personal profit.

I don't remember the book very well, but IIRC it was about the sword? Goblins are explained to have a weird cultural thing about goblin made objects being in the hand of humans. They see it as absolute blasphemy, even if they were originally bought for money (since goblins don't believe in automatic inheritance, the item should've been returned to its maker after the buyer's death, not transferred to someone else). It's like with Warhammer dwarfs and their grudges. They've been known to hound the DESCENDANTS of people who bought things and never returned them in time.

Which is all nice and good but if it comes to

Let dude run off with stolen knife

vs

Definitely end up in a death camp

I would let the D E S I G N A T E D wizards have the sword. Especially as Harry had already promised to hand it back afterwards. He might keep his word, he might not, either way death and possible genocide of my people by autistic REEEEE is undignified.

Captcha ate my pic

Like I said, the closest example is dwarf grudges from Warhammer. Be thankful they didn't declare war over this.

HP goblins basically are just scrawny, gnarly dwarves. In any other setting, people who get to know them would assume they're some sort of demi-dwarf.

Plus the inherent magic part. Goblins, like house elves, have extremely powerful inherent magic. That's why wizards are so terrified of them getting their hands on wands: with the power boost of a wand, they'd be a major threat to wizardkind.

>Goblins x Goblin Slayer? Man, that would be an interesting crossover.

Wasn't the evil dwarven paladin essentially Goblin Slayer?

Is Harry Potter a secret grim dark?

It's shit like this that forces you to remember JKR isn't writing for a cohesive world. She was a very depressed person writing whatever made her giggle at the time and put little to no thought into how it played into the bigger picture.

It's barely a secret.
The way the school nurse is depicted makes it seem like students are exposed to a pretty constant stream of body horror accidents.

Needs more jew

>She was a very depressed person writing whatever made her giggle at the time and put little to no thought into how it played into the bigger picture
She was writing children's stories to be fair, the first few books have various gross-out jokes (booger-flavoured jelly beans, hilarious!)

>Is Harry Potter a secret grim dark?
It's really not a secret, there's any number of explicit portrayals of how shit things are if you piss off senior wizards, how arbitrary their justice system is and how much it sucks to be non-human.

You'd be doing them a big-time favor by helping them to escape from one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Nice pasta