/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread
What's your favorite monster from Tomb of Annihilation?

I'm that user who had a three month long hiatus.
Finally had a session today. It was pretty underwhelming. A lot of combat, but no plot advancements, no interesting events, and barely any XP.

I think I like DMing my own campaign better.

casters>martials

Ok guys, are there any homebrew races that you use? My DM came up with a homebrew Shardmind, and it's not that bad.

Anyone got any resources on how to DM better from a storytelling perspective? I've got mechanics down pat and I'm reasonably good at plotting things out and coming up with things on the fly, but I want to get better at weaving my words together in an engaging way.

Humans

Assassin vines. My party got TPK'd by them on an ambush and didn't even get a chance to do anything.

There are no real humans in Chult

>Group of 6 friends playing casually every sunday evening
>One of our friends wants to join in
>I help him make his characther, a human rogue, and explains how a rogue works
>he gets introduced as a guy the group helped cure earlier, and he has no items at all
(Thought that would make the most sense with his background)
>Players in the group gives him some armour and gear, including a shield they've been carrying that noone has worn yet
>It was a cursed item and completly fucked up his first session

I designed the item a while ago and figured he should get the curse even though it would mess up his character.
Now he's a rogue with a shield he cant remove for atleast another session.

Was I too harsh on him? I tried explaining that he shouldn't wear it, but he did anyways.

As I remember you're running your own anyway right? Just make yours super special, show the faggots how it should be done and FIND A NEW GROUP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

We've already established this in the last 5,000 threads, can we talk about something else for once?

Wait really?

Is it possible to segue into CoS with a party full of native Barovians?

it's helpful to repeat so potential players know that mixed parties are a bad idea.

A) Why did you have it still be cursed? It would have changed nothing to not have it be
B) Why did they give a Rogue a shield? He isn't proficient with them.

People there are black and user here is being /pol/.

Rogues don't even have proficiency with shields so it wouldn't benefit him in any case

Sure, no reason why not.

No

Even, say, if you were running a separate game with separate people on separate nights? Seems to me that would be fine?

But what would the hook be? Isn't the premise you've been zapped into Barovia and have to find a way out?

A) Because they found the item in a crypt, on top of a grave. Not having it be cursed would make it just another shield.
Removing the curse is quite easy tho, it works as another plot hook.

B) No idea.

>But what would the hook be?
The hook would be YOUR COUNTRY IS RUN BY A GOD DAMN VAMPIRE AND YOU'RE SICK OF HIS SHIT

Two quick questions:

What is the carry capacity of a Goliath Barbarian, Totem Warrior 6? I've seen people say that it's additive and some say multiplicative.

Secondly, if this Barbarian wanted to use doors as shields, how would that even work?

How do you even get out anyway?

>How do you even get out anyway?
Ask the Vistani.

You're not trying to be that shield-door guy from League are you? Simon?

Oh...I thought it was a Barovia type deal that I missed

>Secondly, if this Barbarian wanted to use doors as shields, how would that even work?
+2 AC, one hand occupied.

Flying monkey minions for a hag made for an excellent encounter.

>Not having it be cursed would make it just another shield.

Yeah, which would be a good thing in this case, since as you said it being cursed rather than a normal shield ruined things. If you wanted, you could have just as easily made it some fancy Masterwork shield that could turn a critical hit into a normal hit once per day or something.

And of course, you should have just said 'oh, yeah. your guy can't use shields anyway, so you wouldn't have put it on'

It's like you went out of your way to punish him but are still trying to pretend like it isn't your fault. I suggest you remove it and then apologize for being dumb.

Who has a fucking game going on.

pic related: its got me wanting to adventure

as long as you don't have caster characters commingling with martial characters and stealing all the thunder, you're good.

>What is the carry capacity of a Goliath Barbarian, Totem Warrior 6?
What's its str? what's its totem?
Goliath is x2, Bear Totem another x2. So x4
>I've seen people say that it's additive and some say multiplicative.
I've seen people say they can fly, doesn't make it true though
>if this Barbarian wanted to use doors as shields, how would that even work?
It wouldn't. Rules wise and devs words even if you could lift 5 billion tons easily, you can't use anything above your size without penalties

A lot of combat and no XP how does that work ?

Likewise if you don't like lots of combat..don't fight things ?

THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A CASTER VS MARTIAL THREAD
IT IS NOT

Set your scenes. Don't be afraid to get into the weeds a bit as far as your descriptions go; more detail helps get your players engaged and helps your world feel even more real, even if the fundamentals of it are still the same. It's like decorating a room: even if it's functional, the experience of being in it is better with the right level of ornamentation.

Consider more than just sight. Hearing, smell, and even touch (like temperature and wind, for example) can be important senses to describe in setting a scene.

That's tough call, but i think you did the right thing. Of course, i enjoy my games slightly more simulationist and i hate when DM fudges rolls or cheats on what enemies do.

Say the player you are sorry it ended like this and try to make it up for him next time.

>As I remember you're running your own anyway right
Yes, with all the same players. DM is also playing in my campaign.

Can you climb a 30feet high flat wall?

my dm ruled it you can roll for it but that makes no fucking sense, we aren't spiderman up in here
everyone else of course argued we should be able to because it would help us but to me it felt dumb as fuck even with a roll

I use a lot of music and background noises for my games, and I've found that using the same music for a character or group helps define that character.

Yeah you're probably right. Ill make sure they have an easy time removing the curse next game and explain to the player that I fucked up.

They're already on their way to remove the curse so I won't just remove it all together now, but ill try to make it up to him.

>Can you climb a 30feet high flat wall?
Me? no, a dude with max climb and str 20? why wouldn't he? there're dudes out there who climb without gear modern glass and steel buildings.

Can you cast spells? I think not, that doesn't mean 5e characters couldn't either

I think in situations like that, the character "found" crevices and shit other people wouldnt find

Depends. I wonder what was your DM's reasoning for such ruling.

Maybe "flat wall" is not THAT flat.
Or maybe he's running mythic-levels campaign.

I'd certainly rule that perfectly smooth surface can't be climbed without help of magic or other tools.

CoS tokens when?

There are lots of enemies, but they are weak as fuck and barely give us experience. We got like 200 each for the boss.

>party is full of League of Legends players
Kill me now

How do I teach the basics of the game to someone moderately interested, but who doesn't want to read the whole book before trying it at least once?

when you get off your ass and make them

either he reads the basic rules or he doesn't play

Just kicked a person after months of trying to help them not be a shitcunt, the rest of the group was done. Players want to give another problem player one more session before deciding whether we want to bother teaching them how to not be a shitter. Feels good to know my players will actually speak up and talk to me about issues they have with others in the group.

what was he doing?

Put him to read Chapter 7 to Chapter 9 of the Basic Rules, otherwise, don't waste your time on people that can't read 30 pages.

The party line-up! Session 0 and session 1 are complete.

How much fun do you think they'll be having?
>Divine Soul Sorcerer Aasimar (Scourge)
>Oath of Ancients Paladin Half-Elf (Wood Elf Descent)
>Hunter (Revised) Ranger Half-Elf (Wood Elf Descent)
>College of Whispers Bard Half-Elf (Drow Descent)

Did you ban variant human or something?

Connection would keep dropping so his voice was a robot 9/10. Would say he couldn't make it 1 to 3 hours before hand. Would complain no one would talk to NPCs when he was the fucking bard yet refused to do any social situations even when engaged by me or another player holy fuck why are you playing a god damn bard if you're not going to do anything noncombat.

The current potential problem player is trying to get some incharacter favours and emotional reactions when he has given zero reasons for the characters to trust them or be emotionally invested at all. Of course all the PCs have a certain level of trust and cooperation by virtue of being the PCs, but we gotta get them to understand they need to still give reason to trust this shifty combative druid before running off to fight a dragon so they can fuck a dryad.

Just started that today, actually. We've only seen a few enemies up to this point, but the giant plant with 3d8 psychic tendrils that killed our paladin was pretty neat

Powergame/10

Wooden doors have like, 18 hp? Let's say he has 16 AC, door as shield gives +2 = 18AC. If the attack rolls 16 or below it misses. If the attack rolls 19 or higher it hits him. If the attack rolls 17 or 18 then it does damage to the door. When the door is reduced to 0 hp it breaks and any leftover damage transfers to the player.

>door as shield gives +2
Why?
A big longsword gives you disadvantage, a big shild would also give you the disadvantage version of AC, which is a -5 (like in passive rolls), so your AC is 11 if you use a door as a shield.

>player wants a harmless fluff item that's functionally a shield but is the size of a door
>lets punish him for it

Cursed item the PC has no proficiency in his first game has probably ruined RPGs for him. Good job making the game fun, DM.

I suspect it's better to read the rules on adventuring and combat before the rules on character building and spells anyway.

>hide behind giant piece of wood
>become worse at not getting hit
Makes perfect sense

1d4+Str and that's it

Attack rolls equaling AC are a hit

Seriously, just call it a Shield. If you want to be autistic about it, have it slow his movement speed by 5/10 feet and not fit through most doorways with the condition that he could also use it to block off most doorways.

>Knight standing next to a door he just kicked in
>circle around so he's on the opposite side of the door
>Knight is now using the door as a shield, easier to hit

>hide
No, you're wielding a cumbersome large piece of wood not made to be used as a shield. Same way if you use a chair as a nunchuk it wont do what you want it to do.

>can barely move
>skilled fighter takes advantage of it

woah

>table is bigger than knife therefore table is better weapon and I should have bonuses to wielding it

>cart is bigger than bow therefore if I put a string on cart is better bow than bow

has anyone tried darkness+devil's sight with a melee warlock? i'm considering picking up the combo next level, but i don't want to generally fuck my team up.
this is a west marches so it's not like i have one specific team comp to build around.
also don't want to be an attention hog, since there's usually like 5-6 people in a party

To be fair, getting hit with a table would probably do more damage than being stabbed

Whoops, I erased half the sentence and retyped it and forgot to correct that. Yeah 15 and below would be miss, 16-17 damage to shield, 18+ hits player.

I was answering under the assumption that the player wanted to literally rip a door out of its hinges and use it as a makeshift shield, not fluff a special made iron door worked until it's usable as a shield.

What? This is 5e. You can have a 2H weapon in each hand and not have a penalty to AC. You wouldn't be able to attack too, of course.

This, maybe remove the movespeed penalty if he gets tavern brawler feat.

I'd say it's not very good if you're the only one that can see through the darkness.

wow. you are one dumb ass nigga

you know what? You're absolutely right, so instead of giving a shield bonus, let's just call it...oh let's say half cover for holding a door in front of you...let's see that happens to be...+2 AC, OH and +2 to dex saving throws.

To be fair being hit by a Trex would do more damage than being stabbed, that doesn't mean Trex is a better, versatile and easy to wield weapon than a knife

well, as i understand it, my team gets disadvantage from the darkness, but advantage because the enemy cant seem them, so it cancels out, while i get advantage on all attacks and enemies get disadvantage of all attacks against me
the main thing it hinders is spells that require a visual, but there aren't too many pure casters, it's mostly shit like moon druids and paladins

Yeah. I'd personally only have the speed penalty at all if he expected to create cover with it in some fashion, since it'd need to be pretty sizable to block things off so completely. Still, no sense giving the guy with hulking strength a massive penalty to using the thing.

Assuming a knife is a dagger, that's 1d4
A table would be a large, blunt weapon - probably a 1d6 at the very least

>that doesn't mean Trex is a better, versatile and easy to wield weapon than a knife
says you

It's also a disadvantage to your party if you go up against any of the enemies that can also see through darkness or ignore it. Like bats and snakes.

You aren't using the door as a shield.

right, I'm using it as cover, which gives +2 to ac and dex saves.

that's true. i'll probably pick up darkness but not use it all the time, i don't want the dm to get annoyed at me anyway. i'm gonna get devil's sight regardless because i'm a dirty human who needs darkvision

And if you use the hitting cover variant rules with that, you end up with (with fixed hit #s).

Only if you leave it in one place and don't move around with it

user, tell me. Would you rather someone throw table at you, or stabbed you with dagger?

This is giving me an idea, I'm going to use my backpack as a cover, it's bigger than a shield and it goes in my back so always with me. Thanks /5eg/

Same looking for a game. Almost got into a Tal'dorei setting game, which might've been interesting, until they changed the time.

On that note, has anyone played with fans of Critical Role? I've watched a few episodes of it, wasn't a fan (liked it fine, looked like they were having fun, but I just can't watch other people play D&D, I just don't get it) so I moved on, but it seems like fans of that would either be super into the RP and shit, and/or they'd be tryhard and clueless.

By rules an entire planet wielded by a PC deals 1d4+Str, so I doubt it.

you haven't actually read the improvised weapon rules have you?

And the monster can easily move to one side and hit you

Okay. You're going to need a new one after it takes ~10 slashing damage though.

1d4+Str

critical role fans are mostly tumblr super positive retards who try to emulate the show and fail because they're not voice actors
i love the show but i'd be wary of their general fans