Favourite System

So, Veeky Forums, out of all the systems you played, which ones are your favourites? ( Per genre, in general, etc.)
Mine is pic related due to the pure insanity and easy adaptability.
Feel like a kid making my own 80s cartoon when I GM it
80s cartoon with horrible violence and LISA references

Probably Fate. I'm a faggot for narratives, and the game works on mechanisms that are familiar to me, it resonates with the way I run games.
I don't disdain the occasional dive in crunchy systems though, as long as it's contained. I really like 4e

GURPS. Tight, well-designed rules coupled with extreme flexibility letting me go from ultra-detailed fechts to high-action cyberpunk to lighthearted fantasy romp.

Runners up are D&D 4e, DRYH, and M&M.

>DRYH

I really liked reading the book and the solutions they found for the game, but it always felt too intimidating to actually try to run a game in it. It seems to me that if you have more than two players you risk drifting too far off the intended setting. Any experiences?

The intended setting is a nightmare dreamscape drawn from the fears of the player characters. The canon locations and entities are just there as inspiration. Follow dream logic down the hole your players dig for themselves, constantly tempting them with success even as they risk becoming their own nightmares.

I love DRYH. It's such a fascinating twist on the horror genre. Your players have all the power, but the more they use it, the more they lose, the more they need the power to get by, trapping them in a cycle of self-destruction where the only hope is to win before you hit rock bottom.

Most likely Call of Cthulhu. Mostly because Lovecraftian horror is one of my favorite things to read. The other contender is probably Paranoia because of the sheer fun of controlling the vic... uh... Troubleshooters and watching the beautiful chaos unfold before you.

Legends of the Wulin, although as much as I adore it It's not a good game. I've got a post I wrote up explaining why, but it's a bit long and I feel like I've posted it one too many times. Still, if anyone wants a summary of why it's great and why it sucks, I've got it on tap.

Honourable mention to D&D 4e.

4E really needed a revision or more time in the oven. essentials did nothing but made things worse muddling up the idea and message not really focusing on 4E strengths

It was pretty good before Essentials, and if they got the few more books they planned I honestly think it could have been an utterly fantastic game. But sadly Mearls couldn't stop fucking with it.

I'm working on an attempt at a rework of it with a few friends, we'll see how that goes long term.

mearls wasn't really at fault they were thinking they could sell them like board games and magic cards and not how RPG's work there wasn't any depth given to how the game was expanding

unlike pathfinder or others at the time which gotten deeper mechanically broadening its complexity

but each expansion book read and played like a add on to a board game or a alterant magic deck from the season rather than proper rpg books

...They did?

I mean, you're not the only person to say that, but it was never my personal experience. 4e books were amazing for me, they were very clear and direct and easy to understand, and as both a player and a GM they were excellent at giving me ideas for how I could use the new content they were providing.

Then again, 4e is the game where I've referenced the books the absolute least. I'd skim them once and then just use the character builder and compendium (later replaced with cbloader and funin.space).

yeah i like the books too

i'm talking about market strategy and overall design. those thing were decided by other than the guy's directly put in control of the rules.

supposedly the board game and card game marketers were in charge of overall design templates.
when you look at any of the subtypes controllers, strikers, healers and tanks they all pretty much looked the same mechanically
they were only flavoured differently by the power source given. primal, marital, arcane really

The important phrase there is 'looked'. In practical terms they were all completely different, they just used standardised formatting to make things easier to understand.

>The important phrase there is 'looked'. In practical terms they were all completely different, they just used standardised formatting to make things easier to understand.

totally agree all good and more game need to take this approach

it just sucks we never got any the book they promised about things like expanded crafting and buncha other stuff they promised when they released essentials

imma gonna go now getting late need go to sleep at some point nice chatting with ya

I have not found a game yet that fits my tastes as well as Strike!

Still looking, though.

Gamma World for pure gonzo post-apoc craziness.
White Box Adventure Game for absolute hackability and old school dungeon crawling.
Mini Six / D6 System for cinematic and pulpy adventures.
Risus (Evens Up variant) for extremely casual comedy and story-oriented games.
Barbarians of Lemuria for running D&D-style adventures.

Blades in the Dark has probably been my favorite so far. It's very light and flexible but there's some nice crunchy bits for the characters and crew that just really work well for me.

Mage the Ascension.
Talislanta.
Risus.
Cyberpunk 2020.

I wanna fug dat squid.

Call me basic, but my go-to system is Pathfinder. I like lots of rules that lend towards lots of creativity, so hence that's why I like it. It also helps that I can find lots of players for it.

For my true favorite system, however, I'd say that I love BESM 3e, probably because I'm a filthy weeaboo.

Mythras is the best game system I can think of to suit my personal tastes.

As an aside though, anyone know of scans of the gamma world cards? The game looks fun but without those it would be impossible to run.

There are links in the second pdf in Da Archive thread

You can have complexity without depth; you can have depth without complexity.
I don't see how anything in is inherently bad. Maybe take your point a few steps farther?

Zweihander

Burning Wheel
Delta Green
Unknown Armies
Legend of the 5 Rings

I tend to like systems that skew a bit more traditional, but have roleplaying centered mechanics that encourage players to act in accordance to the rules and tropes of the genre the game is trying to emulate.

>liking two of the worst RPGs of all time

>Being this much of a cunt about your personal preferences

RIFTS. It's a literal meme game that's been memed so hard that everyone has very strong unfounded criticisms of a system that's not very complex.

Aside a lengthy combat turn, it's pure percentile with a lot of optional tables.

But obviously the draw to RIFTS is the crazy number of expansion and setting books. It's just enjoyable to read through a setting, like a worldbuilding exercise with no actual plot. Kevin has really pushed out an intelligent model where he contracts random nobodies to shit out super cheap game books at a feverish pace, loading them with black and white illustration, borderline unformatted text, wildly unbalanced rules and one nice piece of fantasy cover art. The fact that they do so many of these means that Palladium is willing to let some fucking crazy coked up ideas get greenlit.

Wormwood, Splicers, you name it. It's fun to imagine playing all this but RIFTS alone is more than one can fit in a lifetime. Wild huh?

I fucking love RIFTS, but boy is it hard to pitch to new players

I've played about 20 systems so far and, well, as much as this may be seen as a bit of a meme answer, I'm most fond of D&D 4e. That's not to say it has issues (mostly the fact everyone should get a free weapon focus feat and that the math early on was a little off) but by and large it has been the one I've had the most fun playing and played the most (had a 2 year long campaign with it from 2010 to 2012). That said, I haven't played it since sadly. In recent years I've been drawn to DtD40K (balls-to-the-walls crazy science-fantasy games), 5e (classic high adventure), LotFP (gritty and dangerous overall low-level play) and BCG/Z (mecha, nuff said).

Conan 2d20

Found them, now I could actually run this online. That’s pretty exciting.

>Stop liking what I don't like!

pitch it to me

Been enjoying Anima Prima recently. Easy pickup. Only had experience on homebrewed DnD 5e.

Currently preparing a Holy Grail War using its system. It really works great for me.

Slightly off topic, but where does everyone get the extended Origin options from?

More so to the topic, D&D 4e I guess.

I've really been liking DtD. I only ever played it for spacey adventures up to now, but I've been toying with it a bit. Once you have a group of people who know how it works, it's a surprisingly casual system that works well enough to not feel cheap.

It's even harder to pitch to older players.

>Because it's shit.

Exalted 3e lets me run the stories my players want to play in

GURPS. It lets me run everything.

>classic high adventure
What's that even supposed to mean?

>all these people saying 4e
>4e is by far the worst D&D
Holy shit you have bad taste.

Right now Dungeon World and Shadow of the Demon Lord are my jam.

Shit you see in movies - heroes setting out to stop a great evil in a high magic high fantasy setting.

That genre is called Swashbuckler and, at least will respect to fantasy, it's not classic.
Swashbuckler got into fantasy by piggy-backing off Swords & Sorcery.

Swords & Sorcery is the 'classic fantasy' pre-1984 RPGs emulate.

He didn't say classic fantasy, he said classic high adventure.

Oh, unless you meant Epic Fantasy.

That is a sort of classic fantasy, but RPGs only started motorboating its tits around 1984.

DtD?

>I will make up random definitions to invalidate user's preferences

But why

I don't know how you got "swashbuckler" from user's post
Also I don't see what do your strict genre definitions have to do with what the other guy was saying.

Not him, but "the sort of high adventure you see in movies" makes me think swashbuckling as well. Without the "in movies" bit I was assuming chivalric or post-chivalric adventure literature. Which has a ton of crossover with swashbuckling anyways, because that's a pretty broad segment of fiction and includes things like The Three Musketeers, many Robin Hood stories, and Captain Blood.

>unbalanced rules

And therein lies the problem. It's hard to make players feel like they aren't getting fucked over at times. Yep, that's 1 point of damage. MEGA-damage. Re-roll. Speaking of, exploding d6 means that one character may be a savant and the other is a drolling retard. No, having a "high" IQ isn't enough for a bonus, even if it requires an uncommon statistical derivation. No bonus to PP or beauty either unless you are pretty high...

Don't get me wrong, I really like the dodge/parry/attack mechanics. The different types of brawling skills is pretty fun. Even the natural armor and armor class system, while initially wonky, work out pretty well. But with batshit insanity comes bat... well, shit too. And if they could update it with a much cleaner edit, tighter rules, less meta-jokes (there's like a 10% chance that a near death experience will cause your character to pursue a career in Psychiatry) I think it'd be a great system. Savage Worlds came out with a RIFTS setting, I hear that's pretty good.

Really, Kevin just needs to tone down his autism. It feels like a homebrew system that escaped from the "garage" to the wider world, with minimal effort made to actually make it appeal to a wider audience.

Do want to play a drug-addled raider with a small laser pistol that can obliterate cars and stores like the Noisey Cricket from Men in Black? This is for you.

If you want to fight magic vampire overlords in Mexico with power armor mechs loaded with rail guns, this is for you.

If you want to do more than "they didn't beat my AC" and want to dodge/parry their attacks, this is for you.

If you want to do an absolute assload of damage when you mag-dump into something, spending all your actions on a single devastating attack for x10 damage, this is for you.

If you want to be willing to re-roll characters because some thug with a plasma cannon gets through your armor once, this is for you, because you aren't shrugging off 400 points of damage.

If you want to feel like He-man, GI Joe, Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, and Transformers had a baby that had aspergers, this is for you. If you want to do some multiplication and realize you are doing literally 1400 points of damage from a Glitterboy powersuit shotgun-rail cannon, this is for you.

Hey guys, sup

What system will help me run a game similar to Dynasty Warriors

Maybe Legends of the Wulin, if you're willing to get through the learning curve and decipher the bizarre kung fu manual that is the rulebook?

D&D 4e with minions and swarms.

Exalted.

WuShu could work for that pretty well.

thanks guys.