Alignment Thread

Alignment Thread

What are you Veeky Forums?
wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20001222b

So we all agree that chaotic law is the best alignment right?

I'm the FAGGOT alignment

Law Neutral Chaos or gtfo

Be Lawful or Good, or better yet be both. Avoid the pitfalls of chaos and evil.

Chaotic neutral. I just want to have a comfortable life on my own terms. Morality only concerns me by coincidence, if I didn't have biological reactions to other people's suffering I wouldn't give even half of a shit.

im lawful bazinga.

>dnd
stay on reddit.

Rejection of my trashy drug addicted family to focus on building my own life rather than wallow in their misery is enough to bias my results in that test toward CE.

I dunno tho, maybe I am awful after everything. Who knows?

If you still play using alignments, you are a fucking retard.
Here's the thing: no writer ever sat down and thought, "hmmm I wonder if my protagonist should be lawful neutral, or chaotic good." None. Zero. Nada.
Why?
Because alignment is a shitty character descriptor. It's shallow and meaningless and is not a realistic representation of human motivations.
Now, before you fucking autistics start braying about "realism" (I know that that's a trigger word for D&D fanboys), let me explain: all games should have realistic characters. Why? Because realistic characters are engaging. They remind us of the real world, without being as boring. If you describe your character as Lawful Neutral, you have told me nothing. Except one thing: you do not know how to roleplay. Period. End of story. Alignment is not a character. It contributes nothing to a character. Using it as a primary character descriptor is so fucking wrong it's hilarious, and given most D&D players' idea of "roleplaying", which is a few quirks and a sidequest / backstory motivation at best (usually full of edgy shit), I guess it shouldn't be much of a surprise. This pedestrian bullshit is part of why D&D is a containment RPG. Because when you get D&D players into other systems, they start using these gay-ass alignments and trying to fit things to them. No, you fucking moron, alignment isn't real. You can break real laws, subscribe to your own strict moral code, be good hearted but capable of doing evil things, or just plain be a normal goddamn person motivated by what's important to them, instead of some lofty ideals. No one gives a shit about alignment. It means nothing. It is the worst descriptor for a character ever. Personally, I make all of my characters neutral, and anyone who argues about alignment, gets attacked first by the next monster when I DM.

It was made just to act as a simple moral compass originally.

Dat edge.

Yeah, even when I play D&D I have my players write a paragraph about their characters' senses of morality instead of bothering with alignment.

I'm Awful Good; I mean well, but I also completely fucking suck.

>there are people this mad about a simple pair of words on the character sheet
Lol

I am quite often a dapper fellow, but I have been known to be both a dapper hooligan and a unassuming fellow.
The scruffy ways are both a mystery and nonsensical to me, yet I have at rare times found myself being a scruffy gentleman to my surprise.
>cigars are a better topic than OP anyway

Somewhere between Unassuming Gentleman and Scruffy Gentleman

user, how do you gentleman?
It seems needlessly contrived and forced, unnatural methods compared to the ease of the dapper hooligan and scruffy fellow.

It just feels natural to let the fingers hang over or under the cigar without much conscious thought on the actual holding of the cigar. The fingers do the work for you while you focus on your other gentlemanly duties.

I find some good hooliganism allows me to clench the stogie firmly between knuckles, allowing me to gesticulate as needed, or hold a pint of beer or tumbler of whiskey as needed.

Apathetic Fatalistic. No matter who wins, I lose. Why fight?

Because it's trash.
I once had to spend 2 hours arguing with my autistic friends about the way a deity behaved.
Because, while acting evil, apparently did not act LAWFUL EVIL
I wasn't even the DM here.
What the DM did, made for a more interesting story, and actual fucking character development.
Which is goddamn rare in an RPG, especially D&D where the standard for "character development" involves multiclassing or some shit.
But, no, since the deity didn't do something LAWFUL, that means the DM did it wrong.
They used this as proof that he doesn't "understand" the system.
I used it as proof they didn't understand roleplaying.
Fuck alignment. People who use it should be forced out of the hobby.

On whose authority?

dapper gentleman master race

I'm neutral good and I always DM with alignments, because that determines the flavor of magic fire I can use on you. Anyone here ever play an all-evil party? It's pretty fun.

I've literally never gotten anything other than true neutral in one of these quizzes. Ditto for any political quiz, always come up nearly exactly centrist.
>inb4 hurr durr you don't have any strong opinions
I do feel strongly about some things, but most of the time there's too many mitigating factors to account for.

Lawful Good- I am stubborn and self center, but ultimately I respect lawful authority and other people. Be kind to others so they may be kind unto you, until they prove themselves cruel.

According to that chart, I'm definitely unassuming but wander between Hooligan and Gentleman, as those are my preferred cigar holds.

What's your favorite sort? My first smoke was an Eastern Standard Robusto, and my favorite currently is their Torpedoes.

>Chaotic Good

>A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what others expect of him. He makes his own way, but he’s kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not agree with that of society. Chaotic good is the best alignment you can be because it combines a good heart with a free spirit.

So what did this deity do that wasn't lawful?

SHIT Dapper Hooligan

Choose wisely

What if I think that both ice cream sandwich and sub are sandwiches, but not hot dog?

A sandwich needs to be sandwiched between two articles, and it needs its ingredients to have a firm top and bottom.

A sub is a sandwich, and so is an ice cream sandwich, but a hotdog is not.

>What are you Veeky Forums?
You tell me.

Tomato salad or open-faced sandwich?

Flatbreads are a class of their own

> Chaotic Neutral
... so I would do a few dickass things with magic and deny my dickassery, so what?

Is it bad that I always ban 'That guy' alignments from my games?

I've even one time banned everything that's not LG or NG

It's fine if you run combat heavy games where RP doesn't matter.

What is your alignment Veeky Forums?

I think I want to vomit.

Round characters should have a deep motivation (I'm afraid of monsters) that drives them to fulfill a purpose or goal (I will become a knight of the realm to fight monsters), they should employ a defined method to fulfill such purpose, and a certain way to judge how close they are to achieve his goal.

Lolful neutral, literally the most boring alignment ever.

Fuck this gay earth.

Every line that you say, every act that you do should do multiple things that tells you something about the character in the way they interact with the world:

-Their past (desert nomad: "someone is going to steal that water!")
-Relationship with others: "They sat down in front of each other with one on top of a book to be higher"
-Social obligations they follow: "Talk to people you dislike with respect"
-Motivations: "why do they care?"
-Sensibilities: "One pencil is in the wrong way"

>NE
>literally the realist alignment
>"My goals are better served with you, helping you helps me and any crime is acceptable- so long as it minimises risk and maximises reward over a lawful approach"

is CE FLL?

My go to when balancing economy and taste is the Obsidian Black Churchill or Robusto, I have an exceptional preference for maduro wraps, and it was recommended to me by a good friend.
My secret enjoyment are the Kentucky fire cured tobacco cigars, they taste like literal barbecue in your mouth in addition to be very fairly priced, but can be startlingly difficult to find in my neck of the woods.