Has anyone actually played this thing?

Has anyone actually played this thing?
From what I've read it's gurps but streamlined for non-autists.
Also pdfs when.

Retarded crap which ruined sole point where GURPS was really good just for get on hypetrain about yet another OSR thing

It's not bad. Most of the stuff is already in the Dungeon Fantasy PDFs that you've seen before, save for the adventure and some of the condensed and abridged "Exploits" book that gives you what amounts to a lite Campaign book.

Most of the materials are of relatively high quality. The paper miniatures and maps are good enough for general use.

The maps have the annotations right on them.
The stands for the miniatures are a 1 inch hex, meaning you can't have two characters stand on a single space.

I feel like it simplifies a lot of the wrong things (stuff that I like about GURPS) and leaves the parts that honestly could have been improved untouched, and sometimes actually makes it less usable.

I have a paranoid feeling that if this was playtested at all, it was done sparingly, and with GURPS veterans who didn't have to learn the system.

I honestly don't know if I would recommend this to someone brand new that wanted to play Dungeon Fantasy, even if it's cheaper than GURPS Basic Set + Magic + DF 1-3,11, and Monsters 1 and 2; the source of most of the material.

I hope this doesn't come across as a grognard opinion, but I think they threw out the baby with the bathwater.

>reddit spacing

Dude, it's just fucking new line paragraphs. What the shit.

From a gurps vet this is a pretty good product and should make getting into gurps more accessible to the 5e market base. Core competition is the DND crowd who wanna play something that doesn't suck. Now they have a nice product to put on the shelf alongside Pathfinder and wizards bullshit

What didn't they simplify and what should they have simplified?

Throwing is still a janky mess of calculate BL, find ratio of weight of thrown object to BL and determine distance and damage bonus based on that ratio.
On the other hand, slam damage has been "simplified" so instead of (HP x velocity)/100, it's now "look things up on the speed range table, use thrust-2 crushing + bonus" which, yes is *less math,* but a table lookup is more work than multiplying and dividing in practice.
The templates don't tell the relative skill levels, and only tell the relative skill levels, for the sake of simplicity. There are *less numbers* but now you better have memorized all the attributes those skills are associated with, or you will need to look it up if you decide to spend any of your extra points on some bonus levels of IQ or DX.
Extra effort combat options are removed because, Kromm Quote, melee players don't like tracking FP, and several FP damaging effects were removed, so now you have a big pool of points that are next to superfluous. Guess you can just stay awake 24/7 and/or go without meals longer instead.
ST bonuses for SM have been simplified out of the system, and so have all armor modifications for alternate sizes because "small things take less material but more skill, bigger things require more material but less skill," so now tiny races are objectively better and large races are objectively inferior... though admittedly, the calculations for downsizing/upsizing equipment were a bit of a pain.
The magic list for Druids and Clerics has no cross referencing (neither did the original) and so the spells are just a dump of text, "good luck figuring out what page the thing you want is on."
It just seems like missed opportunity on top of missed opportunity to do something better with a clean slate. These might all sound trivial to a veteran, but I think a lot of these actually make the game harder for a novice, or at least, fail to cater to them, the absolute objective of the DFRPG.

So basically, just use the gurps books we already have, unless you're playing with people in real life.

Probably.
If you already own GURPS, it's very hard to justify the new books because they don't add much new.
If you don't own GURPS, the DFRPG is fine if you are absolutely sure you won't ever want to play "GURPS Proper," but as a stepping stone to GURPS, the problem is that the book has a lot of what you would need from basic set, but enough missing that GURPS Basic Set is still mandatory to play GURPS in any setting that isn't TL Undefined Dungeon Fantasy, and even to use some of the original DF supplements.

In shorter short, the people that would most benefit from this seem like people who haven't played GURPS because they believe it is too complicated, and don't realize that this is basically GURPS with a lot of the tailoring and customization already done.

>In shorter short, the people that would most benefit from this seem like people who haven't played GURPS because they believe it is too complicated, and don't realize that this is basically GURPS with a lot of the tailoring and customization already done.

IMO, the complicated math meme tends to be THE thing that scares away new players, so anything that assuages that is a win in my book.

Haven't played it, but it seems like a great idea to get new players into GURPS.

>Extra effort combat options are removed because, Kromm Quote, melee players don't like tracking FP, and several FP damaging effects were removed, so now you have a big pool of points that are next to superfluous. Guess you can just stay awake 24/7 and/or go without meals longer instead.
The fuck, Kromm? Not simplifying throwing sounds bad, too. Didn't Action already do that?

As far as I know only backers of the kickstarter have the Dungeon Fantasy books so far.

I pre-ordered mine 'regular' but they haven't arrived yet; PDFs should be available shortly after Dungeon Fantasy is available at retail (which should be soon; I believe they began pre-order and retail shipments very recently).

As a long-time GURPS player/GM of around 15 years, I most likely will not use the DF books as-is; rather, I'll pick the few things out of it I want to reverse-engineer back into 'regular' GURPS, like the new Slam rules. DF is really just a trimmed, specialized, pre-built GURPS game with little additional unique content (at launch, at least) that has not already been in the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy line (DF as non-standalone). However, it will be fantastic to be able to hand someone my DF books and have them "get" it without walking them through things.

Not that I mind adjudication and helping players/building stuff; I enjoy that stuff. But a hands-free approach when it comes to GURPS will be a great change of pace in terms of introducing new people to the system.

It's really not hard.

>Throwing is still a janky mess

Throwing is one of the few things that I just offhand lazily because of how bad it is, same as slam. I just count slam as an unarmed attack based on ST and for throwing I guesstimate damage based off the item and their strength.

My solution was to ignore FP totally and have people have a Energy Reserve/Manna pool if they have spells. Otherwise rather then FP you get negative conditions like Hungry, Thirsty, Tired, Starving, Exhausted, ect if you push yourself and fail HT rolls.

It keeps people from haveing a 'manna bar' they don't need, and I find that condtions are more useful then FP for showing that going without sleep and food is bad, as it is weird that mages lose the ability to recover energy when they lose an FP from hunger.

>for non-autists
This meme has to die, and you contribute to its endless propagation while not having a single clue about the damn game. GURPS is less complex than fucking PF.

Looking at doesn't seem so.

GURPS only has anything to offer as a game if you're the sort who insists on needing every single aspect of a character modelled. The mechanical underpinnings are a basically functional, slightly clunky 80s RPG that is wholly unremarkable.

I want to see this game given the touhou treatment. I want to see how a GURPS game trying to be a cohesive RPG actually holds up to stress testing.

> The mechanical underpinnings are a basically functional, slightly clunky 80s RPG that is wholly unremarkable.
The system is consistent while Pathfinder/DnD 3.5 are an ad hoc galore. In that case, I will gladly trade your progressive systems for my clunky 80s.

Not him, but those are the the only two things that require math in any real capacity and every game I've played in forgoed them in favor of simple house rules. I DM gurps games successfully and I have a mild form of dyscalculia.

You need to level specific criticisms instead of vague statements like that. As someone who DM's a lot of FATE and GURPS, I have no idea what you're even talking about.

This is and for the record, I do agree that GURPS and DFRPG are simpler than pathfinder. I got the books for pathfinder in a recent humble bundle, and the feeling I get is that while in gamey GURPS/DFRPG campaigns, your character develops to be better inside the system, while in Pathfinder, you are developing a character that is capable of breaking more and more rules. This might be a totally incorrect and naive assessment, but it is the feeling that I got from reading the book. D&D5e, on the other hand, I do think is simpler than DFRPG, but to an unsatisfying extreme.

Anecdote, I was talking to a friend that enjoys pathfinder, and was lamenting how long it takes to make a character in GURPS (about a half hour) but that once the character is built, everything is really fast, an upgrade takes all of minutes to spend points; I said this without mentioning those time spans.
The friend unironically chimes in that yeah, Pathfinder is much simpler, it only takes 30 minutes *for every single level up.*

To be fair it's not an equal comparison. Consider how much shit you get every time you level up in Pathfinder versus what you get with a handful of points in GURPS.

Sure, it's why I call it an anecdote. I'm also sure that 30 minutes for making a character is pretty fast in GURPS, but that's where I am with a bit of practice and experience.

It's a great entry option for the system, and you don't need anything else to run a fantasy campaign with it. It gets rid of GURPS's only real downside, that being the frontloading. Templates make character creation a 10 minute affair.

I'll take GURPS' grappling rules over 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder's grappling rules any day of the week. This is coming from a guy that still likes 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder, mind you.

this