/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
How do you design boss fights?

>How do you design boss fights?

Multiple turns per round.

Focusing on D&D is escapism that lets me ignore my deteriorating and unsatisfying real life.

Why do people even bother becoming liches if they can just repeatedly cast Clone (or wish to simulate clone to bypass the material requirement)?

I had a couple where they had multiple attacks but they weren't as strong, however anyone hit at least once took extra damage. Lends itself to being a threat against the group without bumrushing one character at a time, without having to hold back or metagame the encounter.

Every time my Pc's make an action my bosses gets an action. Makes them far deadlier and helps stop my Pc's from just buffing their fighters/barbarians and nuking my boss

Clone is still weak against things that steal or destroy your soul before it can transfer.

Multi Staged that alter the environment a bit with each new form.
Final form of the boss fight is a puzzle where they need to navigate the altered map environment to press the big glowing "Fuck off already!" button.

Do you guys have anxiety when you 99% know you're gonna kill a PC on your next session?

Like you stopped on a cliffhanger moment but you're pretty sure they won't do one of the ~5 things they could do, because they've underestimated how dangerous a monster is?

'Cause I do.

less "anxiety" and more "quivering with joy"

Large or bigger boss that attack terrain dealing aoe damage and create obstacle, blocking range attack and hindering melee hero speed.

Dying from stupidity is exactly what makes P&P great. They'll learn from their mistakes.

That's funny, my life is deteriorating and unsatisfying because I have no social outlets outside of my family and work, and some group escapism through DnD would almost certainly help me in real life.

my dm had his first almost TPK a couple months back, it was kinda rough on him because it was basically 1 person trying to keep everyone from dying and the other 3 people doing everything in their power to die, sadly it was only one of the people trying their hardest to die that survived.

Hey, anyone got pdf of the new Critical Role comic?

I guess my question to you guys is: what should a DM say once he's killed a PC ?
I'm banking on "nothing," since it's usually the best course of action for a DM.

I'll definitely detail the death as much as I can, to make it cinematic/epic, but any suggestion otherwise?

Thoughts? Search name on google if you want to see a pic of what it looks like.

Silent pause after informing they're dead. Ask them to hand over their character sheet. Give it one more look over to make sure they had nothing that would have made them survive that final blow (like advantage on a roll). If not, tear the sheet in half.

Why not just give them Legendary Actions?

Heh. Sadly we've recently moved to playing online, but I like your style.

>Godslayer
>CR8

Is the Sentinel feat worth it as a VHuman if you use a reach weapon primarily? In this case a whip.

Super worth it for a rogue. You can sneak attack more often with it.

>tear the sheet in half

Yes, any more would be excessive.

at level 1, is the average adventurer still more potent and capable with regards to combat than the average bloke?

Two problems: Their stuff may be recovered, and resurrection may be possible. Also, the player may like holding onto it for personal reasons. Also also, RUDE.

Yes. Averages blokes have 4 HP and no proficiency bonus.

If you use the stats for a commoner as your "average bloke", then... yes. By a significant margin.
But they're also squishy. Less, but still squishy.

I think user is memeing

>Their stuff may be recovered
The sheet still exists. It's not hard to read when it's only in half.
>resurrection may be possible.
They can put it back together with clear tape.
>Also, the player may like holding onto it for personal reasons.
Of course. They get the sheet back, naturally.
>Also also, RUDE.
Maybe if you're autistic

Basically a group of bandits kidnaps commoners for live target pratice/training dummies. Turns out the captured the PCs, too. Would it be reasonable for them to not have counted on random commoners being able to fight out of there if they got their hands on some weapons?

That's not true

>They can put it back together with clear tape.
But you can't really write over the taped over sections. Might as well fill out a new copy.

It would be reasonable for goblins to be stupid.

Sneak attack is once per turn, not once per round

The fact the sheet is kinda broken up is a constant reminder that you fucking died and came back to life. It's not supposed to be convenient.

Hey, you're not me

But yeah, your soul's connection to this world is meant to weaken each death. So the next time you die, you rip it horizontally instead of vertically. The more tape your sheet has, the more you "came back wrong"

And in case he doesn't get it, reactions take place on other characters turns.

Symbolism is nice and all, but I'd rather be able to fill out my hit points in the relevant fields.

Ranger in this case, Monster Slayer specifically.

Just be careful of where you tape it up / tape it up on the back, I guess.

You can not use 2 bonus action but you can attack with extra attack as a bonus action.

It'd be less trouble to draw little skulls in the corner or something.

Extra attacks and attacks you get as bonus actions are two different things.

That's only a tally counter. It doesn't have the same impact.

You need to remind players that they can't rely 100% on ressurection.

Yes it is, you mongoloid

But you aren't making it unreliable, you're making it annoying.

Why is the OP image Nissa from MtG?

Then don't die.

Why not? It's just a mage.

Is the Paladin's Divine Sense basically useless?
I can only really think of very niche times it may be useful.
I want to provide some times in which it would be useful for one of my player's paladins to use i but im drawing blanks. Any advice?

It sees through magical disguises.
>Hey, that old woman is not an old woman! It's a night hag!

>If a spell you cast is below the maximum spell level you have access to, you may instead cast it at the maximum spell level. If the spell you cast is at the maximum spell level, you may cast it one level above that. Once you use this feature, you suffer one level of exhaustion.

how can I clean up this wording?

Sure, avoid the dumb consequence instead of just not having the dumb consequence.

>hey is this guy a vampire
>hey is that skull an undead
>hey is this altar an unholy place

That’s gay af. I keep all my sheets. If the PC died I mark the page with Red marker and move on. Don’t be so dickish

>You may cast any spell as if it were cast at your maximum spell level. If the Spell is at the maximum spell level, you may cast it one level above that....

You do know I would just fill in a new sheet, if your autistic ass decides to take it from me and rip it up, right?

You are making it lightly inconvenient. Nothing else.

Especially since all permanent notes are already on an electronic pdf, so background, all of the personality traits, race, attributes, class, class features updates to my level, are all there. I only need to update the latest changes + gear and whatever I have in my backpack.

Now that I think of it, getting an entirely fresh character sheet after dying seems fitting. Like changing bedsheets, out with the old, in with the new and fresh.

Why no DCC modules in the trove?

Notice all the features that lets you cast spells at a higher level than possible? Copy those.

Is it just me, or are hobgoblin wizards some of the best wizards?

>Con +2; Int +1
>Armor proficiency so you don't waste spell slots on mage armor.
>Saving Face for clutch Concentration checks

It's not a consequence, just an aesthetic that doesn't really affect anything.

You can still keep the sheet, it doesn't go anywhere. It's just a single tear.

You're making a big deal out of something small.
Though for reincarnation a new sheet would make more sense.

wrong general?

>When the final boss has 4 Legendary Actions and the players are freaking out.
>But also has a weakness that removes two of them if taken advantage of.

Still it’s autistic to rip up someone’s work. I draw on all my sheets. Elaborate pictures, on the back of every sheet different images of my character so people can see the different sides of them. I would hit you desu.

If it doesn't affect anything then why bother doing it?

I find the 250 days to learn a feat prohibitively cumbersome, is there a better way to do this? Not enough to make it cheap, but something that narratively can happen sometimes.

Well I mean there's AD&D, OD&D, Pathfinder, Shadowrun... might as well add another

>You're making a big deal out of something small.
Not really? I just have a backup.

I am shit at keeping track of my papers, so always having a backup is very useful to me.

So if I got a super autistic GM who decided to steal away my character sheet to rip it up, I can just recreate it no problem. Let him have his... "fun", I guess. Wouldn't hurt me much.

>10 workweeks - IntMod if you spend money
>Godly boon for a completed quest

DRAMA YOU FUCKING BLOCKHEAD

You're supposed to take a few weeks off between every big adventure.

I don't think he's the blockhead here, you autist.

>Why do you care it doesn't mean anything
Why do it then?
>BECAUSE IT MEANS SOMETHING!
Yeah, I'm the blockhead here.

Sounds to me like you have more fun killing the PCs then being a good GM and letting them experience a world.

GMs who get there power trip from the BBEG make me sick. Play them, don’t personify them. No one wants to hear how there character was turned to paste, people play the game to be hero’s and sometimes more, let them have it.

I thought tearing the character sheet in half was some old-ass grognard neckbeard shit.

I imagine it would be fun to indulge that tradition if you were playing a module from TYP or Tomb of Annihilation or something where everyone at the table knows the stakes are high and it's assumed you'll go through multiple characters before the campaign is over.

But if everyone wants to do some slow-burn worldbuilding RP sort of campaign then by the time someone dies they're probably pretty attached to that character.

Just let it be useful.

>But if everyone wants to do some slow-burn worldbuilding RP sort of campaign then by the time someone dies they're probably pretty attached to that character.
So? Then death SHOULD sting. It SHOULD be shocking.

While i like the idea of tearing the sheet, but i can see how it might bother someone.

>boss fights
I don't

it's gonna sting either way, doesn't mean you need to get a stiffy from tearing their sheet in half

You can spend 250 days to learn a feat? Because i don't think so. Only language or tool proficiency

You don't do boss fights? Why not?

Friend is running a couple dif campaigns, one involving an extremely indecisive player who makes use of mass summons. Any suggestions for him?

Not him.
I think it is more of symbolic act. Like when real person die, their friends and family gather and watch the coffin descend to grave.
It is to seal the end. After the sheet was torn, noone can say "wait, i forgot to add +1 here, it would totally save me!" or hope the DM will give him last chance.

>tear the sheet
Why would you do that?

Because it would cause autists to argue on the internet for an hour obviously.

First time playing DnD but not unfamiliar with table top games and Rpg's. Group of friends are doing an all dwarf campaign and I'm rolling a rogue, how to best aid my party as dwarf rogue?

Thanks for the assistance:
(Not you )

You could just not fuck with other peoples shit.

Your idea would be cool if you let everyone know at the beginning of the game that you planned that, then let THEM pick if they where okay with that.

Just leave peoples stuff alone m8, and stop trying to get a body count

Different user but even when I have players take on one tough monster in a long/longish encounter I don't even think of them as boss fights. I try to entirely avoid videogame logic.

Which kind of dwarf are you?

>homebrew world
>all resurrection is relatively rare, as even low level casters are not common to the world.
>All over the place, churches have been built atop of sacred points, called Soul Wells. Anyone who is revived, is reincarnated at the nearest soul well, the soul taking off from the body, visibly flying straight towards the closest well.
>Reincarnation is a fickle thing, and will never be entirely the same as before.
>any time you die, roll a d20. On a 6+, your gender remains the same, on a 1-5, your gender is switched permanently.
>Additionally, roll a d6. On a 5+, your race remains the same. On a 1-4, you roll on the race table for a new race. Replace youe racial features with that of your new race (except for any attribute changes).
>You will never look the same as your previous self. Even if you remain the same gender and race, you will never convince anyone through appearance alone, that you are the same person you used to be.
>Kings have tried and failed to reclaim their throne after being reincarnated, as nothing, neither blood nor appearance, will match.

Yes/no? Anything you would want to change if you had to play with this?

Obviously designed with the idea that PCs will be getting revivify and better spells later on. The player characters are intended to be way more exceptional than anybody else in the world by the end. I just want death to have a very real and powerful impact on the character.

You've converted me to sheet tearing.

magical realm

Fair enough But videogames especially rpgs are sort of based on D&D so is it really videogame logic?

No thanks

I would legitimately laugh in your face if you explained this to me at a table. Like, what? Why all of these rules for zero spectacle?

What?

What would you change?

Or do you Just want easy and hassle free revives? It just seems a bit too easy and lame to me.