What would be the best way to run a comfy campaign?

what would be the best way to run a comfy campaign?

in a fishing village?

in a lovecraftian fishing village?

Definitely not in Hinamizawa

>in a lovecraftian fishing village?
It is said that in Ulthar, which lies beyond the river Skai, no man may kill a cat,

Make an old god desperate for followers because he's lonely and lazy. And he thinks eating everyone us too much work.

It is said the men in Ulthar grow to be several centuries old! Sure, they might sprout a fin or two and some scales, but that never stopped anyone from fishin'

You know what would be pretty creepy comfy?

An scp game where you play as scientists doing the day to day stuff around the facility.

Sounds fun.

You are playing as young cultists of Dagon living in this village, each of them has some minor weird trait from hybridization (fish scales covering part of their body, amphibian eyes, blue or green hair, etc). There are three families which moved in here last year. Your goal is to convince them to join the Family in without blowing your cover. Bonus GBP from the village elders if you manage to convince passing NPC travelers to spend more time in the village or even settle here. Max out your baking skill.

The great old ones are so old that they've gone senile and don't put out the same reality bending and mind shattering psychic energies they used to. People often mistake them for funny looking rocks and geographical locations, rather than abominations from beyond the stars.

Comfiest campaign I played was in the DM's bed.

Not memeing, she made a blanket tent pillow fort on her bed, we were in pajamas and had hot drinks and snacks nearby (but no eating in the fort), she had some nice smelling candles, and a warm light to play by.

The actual game itself wasn't comfy at all, but playing it IRL was.

Nope, no lewdness or relationships. There was snuggling though.

I would find that profoundly uncomfortable, and I've been the middle spoon in cold weather camping trips.

>snuggling
>no relationship
My heart suffered a minor breakage just from reading that

Has anyone here actually read the Shadow over Innsmouth? Zadok Allen talks about the Pacific Islanders worshiping the Deep Ones and things aren’t actually that bad.

Basically, Deep Ones and Humans would fuck and produce Hybrids, which start human but turn into Deep Ones as they grew older until they can eventually take to the sea. Those who join their kin in the sea become immortal, and can take residence within gorgeous cities on the ocean floor where they may live forevermore. Consequently, most of the Islanders, and Innsmouth residents, has an extremely apathetic view of the in-between as humans, seeing it as just a transiatory thing they want to get over with so they can become immortal awesome fish things.

The Deep Ones are described as ultimately genocidal towards Humanity, but this is apparently due to their alliance with the Great Old Ones and not some natural hatred of Humanity, who live on different terrains and thus pose no distinct threat to them, and vice versa. Deep Ones, in exchange for sacrifices and mating, provide their human communities with significant quantities of fish and gold trinkets, which are described as alloyed with some whitish metal and perfectly formed.

This means the best way to make this setting comfy is to get rid of the sinister undertones, and perhaps make the fish monsters a little prettier as to make he implied fish-fucking and eventual transformation as being something pleasant, even desirable. Aside from those two things, the deal the Deep Ones offer their human companions is pretty solid. Gold, fish, and immortality.

Almost forgot to mention because I’m tired and about to pass out, but a cute consequence of the immortality - and something explicitly brought up in The Shadow Over Innsmouth - is that one could meet their great-great-great grandmother, and she’s every bit as spry and lively as she was when she first took the dip.

Family reunions in this community would be gigantic affairs.

I was kind of weirded out but she acted like it was no big deal and/or was natural and so like, I didn't want to be the weird one for being weirded out so went along with it and it ended up being pretty comfy. The other player was kind of the middle ground between us on that but she similarly went along with it.

Yeah well, I wouldn't have any luck there.

>Has anyone here actually read the Shadow over Innsmouth?
Yeah, I read the shit out of it. I want to see the village with more friendly approach towards outsiders. They bake a huge fish pie for a fair and hold wet T-shirt contest on the beach.

>no eating in the fort
then what's the fucking point

>wet T-shirt contest
>giant pie

make it so they are "just passing through" to get to the real adventure (which should be more mundane than an eldritch fishing village or else you will make them bored and make them restless to get to the "real" adventure) but they have to stop and stay longer for some reason. Things are comfy at first but after a bit, they realize something is weird and attempt to investigate which leads to basically the same thing that happens in lovecrafts short story.
It'd be a sick story for anyone who is unfamiliar with the book and the players who are familiar with it will still think it's cool how you managed to pull it off without them realizing at first

Literally remove the Great Old Ones from it and the fish people can be viable allies, enemies, or even friends on their own merits. I want to see the kind of political intrigue that gets going in a fish king court when he and all his courtiers are millennia old

>players move into city
>cosy for a few days
>hints of something weird happening behind the scenes
>election month comes round
>fish people get out of the water and start running for mayor and city counsel
>whole city is political battleground

I’d play it.