MTG legacy general

Veteran explorer edition!
i don't have the proper links but here's one to the meta for legacy according to MTGGoldfish
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy#paper

>thread q

Whats your favorite one drop? (besides DRS and delver)

id have to say pic related or llanowar elves

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy
tcdecks.net/format.php?format=Legacy
basiclandart.tumblr.com
docs.google.com/document/d/1me_bqX45Fh_auKaETDcE6GgxWq569qspmBk1VoOtBHU/edit?usp=sharing
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/
pastebin.com/44w1kkRZ
docs.google.com/document/d/1me_bqX45Fh_auKaETDcE6GgxWq569qspmBk1VoOtBHU/edit?pli=1#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love Stifle, I wish RUG was a better deck but DRS makes Stifle seem so bad in comparison in the way that it lets you develop your mana around it.

isnt DRS the format boogyman? i keep hearing that it might get banned but with all the old cards in here stuff sort of keeps it in check.

new art Delver

Holy shit that looks awsome.

i want a new playset of that Rn

>Whats your favorite one drop? (besides DRS and delver)

Come on OP, you can go into the archive and just copy/paste the links. Like so:

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy
tcdecks.net/format.php?format=Legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art, by sets, by artists, and more
basiclandart.tumblr.com

> Budget lists for newer players
docs.google.com/document/d/1me_bqX45Fh_auKaETDcE6GgxWq569qspmBk1VoOtBHU/edit?usp=sharing

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Deck Database
pastebin.com/44w1kkRZ

Budget Decks Version 5.0
docs.google.com/document/d/1me_bqX45Fh_auKaETDcE6GgxWq569qspmBk1VoOtBHU/edit?pli=1#

He doesn't know how to make OP's, he's done a couple for the Modern General just like this one.

:^)

>favorite 1-drop

But why

Nils Hamm's art is so good

>Whats your favorite one drop?
Christ there's so many. Almost a third of deck is 1-cost spells.

Probably Dark Ritual.

This and Aether Vial.

Dies to removal

So does your mom.

but ironically, not the card known as Mom (i.e. Mother of Runes, provided she has a turn to get over summoning sickness).

Also Veteran Explorer WANTS to die.

I don't think it's the boogyman; it's definitely the most-played creature, and likely the best creature in the game at the moment, but it's surprisingly low-impact. Its main advantage is its versatility, which explains why it's showing up everywhere.

I wouldn't read into ban enthusiasts' comments on the card too much. There's always a chance it'll get hit, but I don't think it's particularly oppressive or problematic. It's like Brainstorm in a way: both are extremely versatile and effective 1-drops that are showing up all over the place, but I think they're both beneficial because they open design space rather than closing it.

Delver, on the other hand, is more aggravating. I remember blue's chronically insufficient creature package to have been the color's major weakness until I picked up the game again after grad school and saw that suddenly, blue had the strongest attacker in the game. If people want a more interesting metagame, I think it's the major candidate for getting hammered, though I can't say I would like that.

I'm probably going to go with Cabal Therapy. Hitting doubles in the blind is quite satisfying. Triples are just . . . HGNNNNN—

I have a desperate urge to brew something crazy involving Breakthrough. Anyone tried brewing a Reanimator-style build with it? Been rocking the U/B lately, and I'm enjoying it. Having trouble with dedicated countermagic, though. Any Reanimans here with suggestions?

Dredge is probably the only real breakthrough deck out there?

One thing I don't understand is why doesn't every single reanimator player play full 4 set of collective brutality? The card does every single thing you want in that list.

Goblin Guide

Collective Brutality is very situationally useful. It's a great way to deal with DRS and singular counterspells on the part of the opponent, but you need to have a fatty to discard with it or it's an overcosted (and worse) Duress/Disfigure.

The short answer, really, is that two mana is a lot of mana. Pretty much necessitates running Dark Ritual or Chrome Mox, neither of which is typically considered optimal in U/B. (For the record, I've been running two Brutalities and three DRits in U/B, and I've found them to be fine-to-great.)

The main problem with Brutality is that it decreases your consistency if you don't support it, and doing so throws off the whole (U/B) deck's ratio of dead guys to business to mana to support/engine pieces. It doesn't pitch to Force, and drawing multiples is really bad. It's like Past in Flames in AnT: you really, really, really want two preboard, but you wouldn't ever want a third one.

I can't speak to how it works in BReanimator, but I think 3 Collective Brutality is the standard number.

Is belcher the best budget deck right now? I could build it under 300 euros and i saw it do well in legacy tournaments.

Is stifle strong enough to play mainboard? Does it hit anything good besides fetches in todays meta?

Just hitting fetches makes it strong enough to play mainboard.

I'm working on adapting my classic UBG reanimator for the current meta, and I'm seriously considering going full UB since Counterbalance no longer is a real issue.

Care to share your list? I'm considering DRits as the way to go, but I'm unsure about the correct shell for it.

Why did you use green? For Abrupt Decay?

Yes, and sometimes Golgari Charm depending on the expected meta.

When Miracles was still the deck to beat you needed the green splash to have a fighting chance. Also good against Cage, DRS, etc...

Now, the G is no longer as necessary as before, and can be a liability since your manabase is a little worse than straight UB.

Post deck pics. I need deck pics.

Sure thing mang.

LOOKS FUCKING FRESH F A M
How's it been doing for you in terms of competitiveness? I've been thinking of trying to convince a friend to build it since it's in the cheap side if you don't play moat.

Thanks! The pics a little out of date, but I'm not at home to snap a new one (MB: -1x O-Ring, -1x B2B, -1x Luminarch Ascension, +1x Swords, +1x D. Sphere, +1x Thopter Spy Network). I've been doing pretty decently with it, control and most aggro matchups feel pretty good. Scepter+Chant and Field+RIP have been really good, there's less AD out there than during the miracles era and you basically win when they resolve if they don't have it; Not many decks can remove enchantments G1. The main issue I've been having is against combo (Storm, Reanimator) and fast aggro w/ permission (UR Delver, Infect). I'm thinking about getting some Leylines of Sanctity in the SB to help, being untargetable by discard/burn/drills seems like it would help a lot in those matchups with the exception of Infect.

>How's it been doing for you in terms of competitiveness? I've been thinking of trying to convince a friend to build it
It's reasonably competitive, but the deck requires lots of tuning to the expected meta. There was a lot of getting my ass beat in the beginning until I got my mix of silver bullets in order. As long as your local meta isn't inundated with fast combo the deck should perform decently once you've tuned/got some reps in.

>don't play moat
You'd probably run Ghostly Prison #2 in it's place, but you'll give up some win % against BGx decks, Moat being Decay proof really messes with them.

Derp, Also forgot I'm running MB 1x 3Ball as my 61st in my current build.

Island sanctuary for moat.

If you had a lot of fast combo another silence effect or 2 main would probably gain you some percentage points without screwing up too much.

Voltaic Key is my favorite 1 drop.

Gonna dump a few deck pics I have saved.

It could be an option, it would work fine with Tax+Rack online, but it would make finding your wincons very hard without it. At that point you'd have to choose between stopping attacks and digging for a wincon.

True, the chants have been very good against storm when I could keep one in hand. The main issue against fast combo is mainly the discard shredding your hand and taking your interaction before it becomes relavent. I'm thinking getting 3-4x leylines in the SB should solve that problem and take G2 to a more favorable place in addition to having some good splash damage against a few other tough matchups.

So I actually had an opponent tell me it "was a good thing I had all non foil cards, since erasing a foil cards made the border silver, not white, and silver borders aren't legal". He told me he knew a guy with a foiled out white/silver bordered Affinity deck he can't play, because every judge would DQ him. After seeing the look on my face he insisted "it happened all the time with foils". Because apparently white bordered foil decks are super common.

I think most of these are from Veeky Forums, so y'all might have seen them all already

TEEF

>Delver, on the other hand, is more aggravating. I remember blue's chronically insufficient creature package to have been the color's major weakness until I picked up the game again after grad school and saw that suddenly, blue had the strongest attacker in the game. If people want a more interesting metagame, I think it's the major candidate for getting hammered, though I can't say I would like that.
And i thought namefags could not be more stupid after asking for a DRS ban

>sin título

Ay caramba

What kind of fucking clowns are they letting judge events? I've never had a problem and my deck is half foil.

I'm 98.36% sure the dude was talking out his ass.

>people actually like this brain dead shit

some people are just too stupid to play brainstorm

That makes a lot more sense. I have had judges suggest I get my deck approved by the head judge before events, since it's basically like my whole deck has altered cards. But it's never been an issue and usually I just run it.

What decks are good vs delver? What cards are good against delver decks? Will i do fine with supreme verdicts and plows in deck?

Decks running Grove+Punishing Fire, Pox, or Blood Moon+Chalice+Trinishpere tend to be very good against Delver decks. I'm sure I'm blanking on a few in that list, but there are actually quite a few decks out there that do decently against Delver based decks, just a matter of finding one that is acceptable against the rest of your expected meta.

This deck is fun as fuck. The only deck I've had more fun with was Dredge.

I've been playing Legacy for almost a decade now. I have owned and played:

Burn
Dredge
Sneak&Show
Omnitell
Turbo Depths
Pox
Cheerios
Ant
Tes
High Tide
Solidarity

And I'm sure there are other's I'm forgetting. I have resolved Brainstorm Bundreds of times. Brainstorm is boring. Blue is boring. Legacy is most fun when you make a minigame out of seeing just how salty you can make Brainstorm players.

There are no updates because no one has played Astral Slide in like 15 years.

The W/U control shell looks like a good start, 3 Flusterstorm mainboard is a lot. I would look at Stoneblade and new Miracles lists and juat cram Slide somewhere in there.

>brainstorm is boring

>fun as fuck
yeah if you are retarded

Does this deck win events ever? Or is it one of those "fun" decks that wins every now and then

No, it scoops to wasteland

Similar lists top16d the recent scg event and top8d the corresponding classic.

Posting with sadness

Help me improve this w/u astral slide deck. My local meta is supposed to be full of combo and show and tell and I have cards available for this.

Land (22)
4x Flooded Strand
4x Irrigated Farmland
1x Island
3x Lonely Sandbar
1x Plains
3x Secluded Steppe
3x Tundra
3x Wasteland
Instant (22)
4x Brainstorm
3x Complicate
1x Flusterstorm
4x Force of Will
3x Miscalculation
3x Stifle
4x Swords to Plowshares
Creature (9)
3x Ethersworn Canonist
3x Gilded Drake
3x Nimble Obstructionist
Enchantment (4)
3x Astral Slide
1x Drake Haven
Sorcery (3)
3x Supreme Verdict

I have so many mana sources IDGAF about Wasteland.

I don't expect to see the list crushing GP's anytime soon, especially with Miracles getting the punt.

I don't know about you, but dropping Chalice on 1 AND Trinisphere turn 1 is a grand ol' time. Same as dropping Ugin turn 2. Hell last event I played against BUG Control, ultimated Ugin, AND hit 2 Kozilek cast triggers on empty hands. You're gonna tell me that 3 "draw 7's" in 1 game isn't the shit?

The only decks that aren't boring as fuck that run Brainstorm are Storm decks.

>Every Delver deck
Claw-my-eyes-out boring.
>Miracles
There is a picture of counterbalance under "Boring" in the dictionary
>Stoneblade decks
Why even play Legacy if you're going to play such slow dull garbage?
>Grixis/BUG Control
There is a reason the Salt Mine guys call these decks Honda Civic decks
>Show&Tell decks
Legendary for how boring they are to play and play against

Brainstorm decks are boring.

>Brainstorm decks are boring

Fantastic counterargument, you make many good points.

>drooling retard shouting "look mom i play da big creature"
go away

apologies, i'll save this to a text doc

Then post your shit. Do you even play legacy? And I don't mean on Xmage or some poorfag shit.

is there a legacy zombie deck?

Like zombie aggro? No. But Dredge makes lots of zombie tokens, I've had 30+ out before.

>Someone saved my mono green garbage pile
Im flattered. My favorite one drop is banned

>only brainstorm decks that aren't boring as fuck are Storm decks
I always knew mudbros had good taste.

Im not storm. Although arguably not a deck either.

How good is the green storm? Do you still play it

>teeth as tokens
I though that's Jyhad thing.

Does anyone actually play this? It is spicy as fuck and I am deeply intrigued.

I never actually played it outside some kitchen table matches. The deck is hot garbage against anything with FoW, anything with tax effects, anything that wins before turn 4 or anything with mainboard enchantment removal.

Who? Googling doesnt bring up anyone

what's up with all these autists coloring in white borders on their decks..

>Coloring in
Oh lawdy son i dont think youre ready for the truth

Jyhad is unsuccessful abandoned WotC card game set in World of Darkness. It's also knows as Vampire the Eternal Struggle (VtES).

A E S T H E T I C

To trigger the real autists
>you

In Legacy, Delver *just is* a vanilla 1cc 3/2 since you'd run the cantrip cartel+Force+supporting blue cards regardless.

Would you consider this deck good? Looks cheap and kinda fun>

Mono Black Reanimator is a solid deck. It's not tier 1 by any means, but it will win lots of games. It also has an upgrade path to B/R and U/B Reanimator, both tier 1 decks

>br ub reanimator
>t1
lmaooooooooooo

UB has fallen a bit by the wayside thanks to Deathrite everywhere, but both flavors are still putting up lots of results. BR just topped a MTGO Comp League last month. Just because Reanimator ian't flavor of the month like it was 6 months ago doesn't mean it's not just as good.

based on the pic Smasher should be 16/16 HUEG

crap desu

Anyone?

Yeah, completely ignoring your opponent until you can count to 10 and jack off on the table is really fun, interactive, and a great way to spend my free time.

Dude this deck is rad, everytime I see it I want to make it work

Judge here, the rules used to say all cards had to have a black or white border, essentially saying un-sets were illegal, but nobody gave a fuck if you painted them bright purple. They've since been amended (as under those rules invocations are illegal) to something more generic. I guess this could have happened if the judge was pedantic.

I mean, it looks interesting, it's just that Astral Slide is a bit of a weird gimmicky combo that doesn't when the game, but it does help you control the board. I feel like as Astral Slide/Drake Haven is so important, and you are running white, you might want to think about Enlightened Tutor or Argivian Find.

You are either:

1. Trying to convince people the most complex combo deck in Legacy is boring to play

2. A scrub who cannot into storm

Either way, maybe Standard is more your speed. I here they banned the scary non interactive combo deck there.

complex =/= fun

My favourite one drop is Goblin Lackey.

On that note, can anyone suggest some good ways to get cards into your hand in a mono-red goblin deck? I've already got Matron and skull clamp, and Goblin recuiter ombos wiyh clamp to put the next two creatures i want in my hand, but i still often suffer for lack of draw.

My curreny engine is lackey into either tunneler or the two drop that makes target creature unblockable this turn, with Chieftain and Warchief to give my gobbos haste and Krenko for a win condition, anf Chirugen to keep the important ones on the field. Are there any cards I'm overlooking? I'd love to mix it to add a decent but of burn, but i have difficulty getting the gobs i need as it is.

Are you drunk? Also Recruiter and Clamp are banned

>Goblin recuiter
>skull clamp

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think they've always said this, but at least currently they say "all cards must, UNALTERED, meet the following conditions" and then they lay out the conditions including border color. So basically artificially white borders fall under alters.

storm == interactive unless you're bad and/or don't know what legacy is