How do I get into table top and traditional games when the people that play them now are they kind that go to clubs...

How do I get into table top and traditional games when the people that play them now are they kind that go to clubs, parties and use social media while ostracizing others for not doing those kind of stuff?

Go to clubs, parties and use social media.

They dont ostracize others for not doing that stuff, they just forget you exist because you never want to hang out, Nick.

Do they actually ostracize you or are you just insecure?

To be perfectly honest, ostracizing socially retarded neckbeards can only mean good things for the hobby as a whole.

>Be me
>Happily enthralled in six-year long Pathfinder game
>Suddenly, GM says we can't play anymore because the FBI found all the CP on his hard drive
>One of the other players steps up to GM
>In the first minute of the first session, he has a massive panic attack and shits his pants
>Kicks us out of his mother's house
>Group dissolves
>Look at L4G postings at FLGS
>D&D 5e group needs a new player because a player needed to drop out to move across the country for his new career as a professional football player
>Sit down at table
>Everyone is a perfectly groomed 10/10 with years of experience in improv theater
>While waiting for their turn, they all pump iron and make out with their girlfriends while looking at their phones
>My turn comes around
>They notice my moment of hesitation and instantly detect my insecurity
>Immediately, everyone begins mocking my small penis
>Chased out of the FLGS to the sound of the furious orgy they initiate atop the table to mock me
>Never come back

Fucking normies

I lost friends because of Social media and I didn't like using Facebook because I'm a private person.
people in college didn't like hanging our with me because I didn't know about the cool party of club they went to over the weekend and I wasn't in the know

Not exactly tabletop but you could try finding a group on social media and use Discord. If you can even find a group in your local area, even better.

Also check at the game store. They'll maybe have fliers and shit for associations and gaming communities. Ask the employees too, they're usually into the hobby.

If you honestly believe that people stopped hanging out with you because you werent "in the know" then that explains a lot of your problem.

How do I communicate with other human beings without ever talking to them either IRL or online?

I didn't have a Facebook account and asked them to email the assignments to me instead of discussing over Facebook. They had a group Facebook chat and didn't include me because I never used Facebook

Just dont post anything on facebook then, Mr. Private. I have one that I never post jack shit on. Its useful for organizing parties and keeping up with folks. You cant expect people to go out of their way to accommodate your BS. Thats not ostracism, thats you being a dinosaur.

fuck you that was a few years ago

Piss off, Fuckerberg.

>be nerd in my late 40s
>old time narrative-simulationist who likes wargames too
>got breddy gud game of Shadowrun that lasted for 8 years
>some players came and went, only me and forever GMbro still in it from the starting group
>last few years got some younger players in
>younger, trendier millenials
>things soon start to go downhill
>"user, turns out Shadowrun isn't *quite* what we're into, but we saw this great Actual Play on youtube called Critical Role..."
>they want to switch to DnD 5e, I figure it might be OK
>forever GMbro joins me as a player, millenial normie is new DM
>games are garbage-tier dungeon crawls full of meme characters
>older players start to flake
>millenials bring in their friends
>DnD 5e is too complex for them so we're now playing Dungeon World, by popular fiat
>games basically become a hang out session where we get maybe 20mins of play done
>millenials are babbling about their social lives, how they love apple spritzers and Cards Against Humanity
>they give me those ''''''polite'''''' invitations to hang out where it's clear they don't expect me to accept
>eventually do accept a party invite, just out of bloody-mindedness
>it's a bunch of 'ironic' 20 somethings drinking novelty craft beers
>there's a Cards Against Humanity box on the table
>the young normies exchange cruel glances as they see I notice it
>"Welcome. We've been waiting for you."
>they rush me and bend me over the table, pulling down my pants
>anus lubed with choco-chilli craft beer, they start ramming the Cards Against Humanity box up my ass
>I'm screaming blue murder about the downfall of my beloved hobby scene
>they just laugh at my tears and rape me harder
>hours later I'm dumped on the street
>crawl home
>log onto internet, see a new Shadowrun book has been released
>soul shatters
>I crawl into the little cupboard beneath the stairs and lie their for days before my kids find me

Fucking Normies.

same

>Be me
>Expert in all things D&D
>Running my favorite 3.5 homebrew campaign
>Last Thursday my mother says that my younger cousin wants to play
>Cousin looks clean shaven
>Wears a disgusting hipster suit and tie
>Not even a single flake of dandruff on his hair
>"Oh, you play 3.5? Could we change to 5th?"
>I lose it
>Throw him out of the basement while lecturing him on his shit taste
>Next week he is back
>Wants to run a game for me with his normie friends at some hipster cafe
>Mother says she needs to vent the air in the room again so I accept
>Go to the cafe
>Bunch of 6/10 women on the table along with some queers with bowties
>They start assigning their stat rolls instead of applying them in order
>Demand my cousin to right this faggotry
>"Jeez user, why are you so mad? It's just a game."
>I lose it again
>Decide it is time to establish dominance over the disgusting millenials
>Shove the d4 up my dickhole
>Jack off my anger induced boner furiously with one hand and down their coffees one by one with the other
>They try to stop me but no force can stop my fap
>Ejaculate and piss at the same time
>The force of the jizzpissing throws the d4 straight into my normie cousin's eyes at 400mph and comes out the back of his skull
>I roll up all the character sheets and start shoving them up his ass before he has the chance to die
>As a last measure, I shit on the board and shove his head wound-first on it
>Return home victorious and resume my campaign my my wizard friends

Fucking normies

Shit that never happened.

>$current_year
>there are ACTUAL, GENUINE, REAL HUMAN BEINGS that play tabletop games with bumfuck randoms instead of playing them with their actual friends
shiggy

Hold on to your hats boys, we have a regular internet detective here.
What made you draw that conclusion, Holmes?

Just b urself lol

Why is abandoning games you love and being forced to constantly cycle into new games supposed to be OK according to whoever edited that comic?

They don't ostracize people. Just go to clubs and shit with them. Fuck, go on your own.

In the spirit of logic, it would actually be on the person telling the story who needs to prove it happened.

>abandoning

What? My group cycles through all kinds of games and we still come back to older ones.

>he hasn't launched a d4 from his dick like firing an anti-material rifle
manlet detected

There is a difference between a neckbeard and not partying.

Not OP here,in college here and I don't know about the rest of you, but everyone gives me shit for
>Hating facebook and only looking at it once a month max
>Not having snapchat, instagram, yikyak, twitter, or whatever the flavor-of-the-month social media shit is now
>barely looking at my phone
Like, I go to every social occasion I'm invited to, I'm chatty and personable IRL, people generally seem to like me, but nobody seems to even understand the concept that somebody *could* just prefer doing things in person, and not making 90% of their human contact through their phone.

Abandoning a community != abandoning the game.

Real Question here : is what OP is fearing here sometimes that ever happens?
Do "normies" have a reasonable definition of what is a neckbeard or are they really trying to exclude anyone a bit uncool, awkward, less social,etc...?

>is what OP is fearing here sometimes that ever happens?
I've never seen it happen in person.

Each time the "normies" get bored with the nerdy bunch and go away after a while.The fear of "DA NORMALFAGS" is pretty much the bottom feeders being afraid that people they personally don't like will come and ruin their fun.

I was kicked from chess club that i myself formed. It first devolved into board games, with what I haven't seen anything bad, but later it was only poker and beer. I've called them on this shit and they culturally asked me to leave

But all my friends are online
That said, I play tabletop games with them through the internet, but still

You don't have to play with people outside your demographic if you don't want to. Don't invite them to the table.

If you don't like what your group/scene has become, create your own. Be the change you want to see.

Bond over what you have in common. Which is liking tg stuff, not what makes you different. Its that easy.

play non-d&d games

it's very hard to include someone in a group facebook chat when they aren't on facebook, user

I dunno.

My normie friends' reaction to tabletop stuff ranges from "that's pretty cool, but i rather play vidya" to "eh, you do you, but for me it's too embarassing to try."

Also whoever made that comic probably had a grand total of five minutes of social interaction with (presumably)other adults in his life

Messenger works without FB

Don't you still need a FB account to use messenger?

You may need it to connect to the messenger, but you can deactivate it and messenger still works.

Veeky Forums is lost.

Really, I hate people who abhor all social media and then whine about not knowing about stuff. FB is a fucking useful tool for organizing RPG sessions.

If you dont want to be on FB, just create a fake account with a fake name. Its as easy as that.

Lost the game.

And going by this thread, it's the former.

When I walk into my LCS I don't see those "Chads" as described in the pic running around.

I don't even know what people on Veeky Forums mean when they call someonea a "Chad". I would like to get info on that

Literally just someone who's fit and likes sports. Usually quite nice, desu.

Step 1: stop taking /r9k/ memes as truth and walk away from incel ideology.

Seriously though, what is wrong with getting a Facebook account you carefully curate for the purposes of staying in touch with people?

Whining about privacy is all very well but if you don't post private shit to it and maintain sensible internet hygiene there's zero issues.

I don't know honestly. What is the next 'true' nerd hobby? DnD is utterly 'I go to parties'-tier, what's the game to shoot for? Where are the 'true' nerds now?

>play mtg in school, occasionally dabble into warhammer with shitty painted lizardmen army
>No one to play with
>wanting to play DnD for ages but cannot find a group
>Move on with life, decide that beeing a weakling sucks and work out, getting some self confidence
>Find a group of normie tier STEM people in university
>suddenly tons of friends
>Geek shit becomes popular out of fucking nowhere
>"user we wanna play Dungeons and Dragons"
>normie DM makes a boring campaign but eventually gets bogged down by real life stuff and cant continue
>Decide to take over as DM, make my own non tolkien setting with all the stuff ive ever wanted to put in there, nods to elderscrolls, warhammer, nausicaa and other ghibli movies
>play it out as crunch heavy 4E campaign with relaxed freeform roleplaying
>Berate normies when they fail my encounters because Normie TV shows taught them DnD is unforgiving and harsh
>Punish them when they do stupid out of character stuff, normies think this is ok because stereotypes
>Reward them for playing the character, normies overjoyed im throwing them breadcrumbs
>Normies eventually get more into DnD and start roleplaying the part
>Normies make fun thematic fluff characters that can hold their own in the crunch
>Normies always on edge that their characters could actually be in danger even tho i havent killed a single one of them yet

mfw i turned a bunch of normies into a better party than most fa/tg/uys are.

I dont know what you fuckers are complaining about.
All you have to do is play into their preexistant ideas of what DnD and other games are and theyll turn out to be far less powergaming, far less interruptive and far more immersed than youll ever give them credit for.

Working a well-payed day job.
Playing vidya most evenings.
Monster of the Week on Hangouts once a week.
Having sex with wife after.
Writing on fantasy novel on the nights she's out with friends.
Boardgames and Pathfinder with wife and RL friends on alternating weekends.

Stop pretending nerd means the same as socially incompetent.

>on the nights she's out with friends.
kek

I'm married as well, still a student though. Nobody is pretending but you here, it was a semi-genuine question.

Nerd usually means nerdy hobbies, like those you mentioned, somewhat socially incompetent due to the fact that we tend to favour asocial hobbies or small groups over meeting tons of new people at parties (and practice makes perfect, which means that 'normies' will be more socially competent on average), etc.

Honestly, thinking about it, you need to stop pretending that nerds are just the same as regular people. Do you meet many average IQ run-of-the-mill normies? The kind that goes to parties every weekend just because they literally can not think of anything better to do, the ones that follow trends just because, etc.

This is the greatest Pepe

The true connoisseur of tg plays games which are either out of print, old editions, or have miraculously kept going more or less on the same commercial level they have since their golden age without ever suffering an invasion of normies.

Typically the best stuff is material that emerged in the 1980s and still has a healthy fan community surrounding it. WFRP 1st edition is a great example, as is Harnmaster. Tekumel, Chivalry & Sorcery, and Traveller (Classic only) represent the finest fruit of the 1970s, though one might amuse oneself momentarily with a Tunnels & Trolls solo adventure if you want something a bit lighter.

Ars Magica is a rare example of a game which, after a decline, managed to pull itself together, with the 5th edition actually being the finest version of the game out there; the same is true of Pendragon. Generally, though, the nerd of true taste and refinement understands that new editions of games rarely constitute improvements. RuneQuest 2nd edition, set in Glorantha, is held to be the best version of the game and Chaosium's plans to make this the basis of their upcoming new edition of the game, if executed competently, would certainly prove their worth to the community.

As far as other Chaosium games go, early (pre-4th) editions of Stormbringer! are held to be the best, whilst Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition is accepted to be a good presentation and overall improvement so long as it is understood that the more "narrative" optional rules included are strictly to be considered training wheels for players used to more modern gaming styles and can be happily ignored by more sophisticated groups. Despite Call of Cthulhu's massive popularity, its community tends to be more sophisticated than the D&D-playing proles, and it has retained an admirable level of continuity between editions, with the result that it is far easier to get a high-quality group together than it would be in any other game with a similar popularity level.

(1/2)

(2/2)
Gaming developments from the 1990s onwards are largely trash, with a few exceptions, and should be regarded with utter suspicion; a patrician gaming group might run a one-off or short mini-campaign of 1st edition Vampire simply for laughs, but go no further into the creative abyss of World of Darkness nonsense. The only game to truly master the modern-day occult horror genre is 1st edition Kult. Likewise, cyberpunk (including stuff like Shadowrun) is a genre for plebs easily distracted by flashy neon lights.

The gamer of sophistication appreciates crunch done correctly, married to a setting adapted to said crunch. Phoenix Command does not see much play in the sophisticate community, but it's a useful exercise to try and see if you can parse its rules, much as teaching a student Latin grammar may not see much use in day-to-day life but helps them master skills and qualities they can use elsewhere. Rolemaster 2nd edition paired with the Shadow World setting is the preferred repast of those who prefer rules-heavy games.

MERP, however, is derided as the boorish oversimplification both of Middle-Earth and Rolemaster that it is. In one of the rare exceptions of modern game design attaining true artistic value, The One Ring is held up as the gold standard both of in-print RPGs and of efforts to bring Professor Tolkien's creation to life on the tabletop. (The Pendragon-like assumption of adventures being spread out over years is especially welcome.) In our circles we celebrate it, and cautiously welcome the news that Cubicle 7, its creators, are looking to WFRP 1st edition for tonal guidance on its new edition of that game.

That, at any rate, is a taster of what the intellectual elite of the hobby are playing. Any questions?

Actually it's a pretty common cycle of any subculture. Read Geeks, MOPS, and Sociopaths.

Tabletop RPGs are largely immune to that cycle though, for reasons outlined in the article - the ideal geek:mop ratio for stability it gives is 1:6, and since GMs are almost always geeks and mops will more or less always be players then even in a group with all-mop players you're still at most hitting that ratio exactly, and most will fall under it.

D&D may be an exception due to name recognition and Wizards embracing the Twitch audience but there's no reason a game can't fly under the radar indefinitely.

We have already seen that it is NOT immune. Look at what has happened with nWoD.

A single game with friends? Yes. The game and hobby overall? I'm not convinced, though I think it's done a better job than most because there just isn't enough money to be made in it yet, ergo not as many sociopaths.

>We have already seen that it is NOT immune. Look at what has happened with nWoD.

You mean, it got the best-designed version of the ruleset it had since forever, with some occasional, and entirely avoidable, fluff sidebar?

Maybe before you start spouting assumptions, you should play in a group for a while.
The OP picture exaggerates, sure, but those scenarios are relatively common - you just don't immediately notice because the picture uses stereotypes and hyperbole. If you've played with a single group for a long time, though, you start seeing that it's usually true.
It's a seeping change, and in the end you only realize too late - people might not be sneering stereotypes like in the picture, but most people who you think are your best friends will still try to maintain their social image among their more socially active friends. When Chad comes two hours late with his girlfriend and asks if "she can just play along", the person who invited Chad in the first place is very rarely going to kick him out, nor is he going to allow the GM to.
This problem doesn't occur if you play with friends and only friends. If you want to be in the game, the only thing you have to do is talk to me first, and I'll teach you the ropes. Someone who can't be bothered to get into a social circle before they participate in their activities likely isn't suited for them.

You forgot that the bias is literally written into the fluff on such a basic level that you have to rewrite the system itself.
Look at Beast and choose a few sidebars to remove, and it'll still be a propaganda piece.

The sidebar is just a visible symptom of the infection that is soaked through the entire text of the book.

What's happened with nWoD is the opposite problem - it was left in the hands of an increasingly insular echo chamber of geeks and eventually became a vehicle for their magical realms (see: Beast).

And not even nWoD fans like it. That's like saying you should judge oWoD purely by Gypsies.

Completely not. I hate to say it lest I invoke the wrath of nu-Veeky Forums... but it was SJW's that killed the WoD.

It is not contained to beast.

>Completely not. I hate to say it lest I invoke the wrath of nu-Veeky Forums... but it was SJW's that killed the WoD.

You might not have experience with WoD, it's ALWAYS been there. I mean, have you not read oWoD Werewolf?

For that matter oWoD Vampire in its earliest stages was largely about the heroic SJW Anarchs taking down the patrician Elders.

Yes, I've been reading quite a bit of oWoD (never actually played it though, just first ed nWoD), and there's no blatant SJW-ism in it. There's rampant environmental faggotry, yes, but that's kind of the point of oWoD Werewolf.

To be fair, for its time it was okay. Late '90s and early 2000's where all about rebelling against the oppressive establishment. But then somehow it got switched with "rebelling against the establishment that isn't oppressing whoever I want to be oppressed."

The rebels became the establishment and started raging against the people that aren't with the anti-establishment establishment. It's fucking schizophrenic and totally appropriate for people who enjoy anything WoD related.

t. WoDfag

There's nothing SJW-y about 'fight-the-power' stories.

I've played games with '''normies''' and they're usually fine. They take to the games in different ways ranging from casual to actually really getting into it. What really ruins games are r9k tier faggots who are so insecure that they think anyone who is a rung above them on the social ladder (i.e everyone) somehow doesn't get it or is there to subvert their hobby.

That environmental stuff reflects what SJWs were talking about at the time though.

There were no SJW's of the time, it is an entirely new thing (at least entirely new to be popular enough that you would ever had heard of it).

There very much were Marxist assholes and yes they tended to focus on environmental issues. They weren't as prevalent or as socially acceptable though, and were part of the counter-culture. Now SJWs like to pretend they're part of the counter-culture, when they actually aren't, so it's hilarious watching Alinksky's Rules being applied to them for a change and they have no idea what to do.

Ok, granted, however they were nowhere NEAR as atrocious as they are now. I can play a game about violently protecting the environment, I can NOT play a game that even touches on the whole LGBTBBQ and 'only third-worlders have the right to a nation'-nonsense.

>muh Alinsky
Look, if you're going to whine about people acting counter culture, maybe don't remind everyone that you get your idea of the world from a conspiracy show that aired on fucking Fox.

You've definitely, 100%, never played oWoD in the 90s.

>I say one broad thing that doesn't mean anything so that others will put in meaning, making me look smarter

Specify what the fuck you mean, faggot.

>Various leftist groups actively use Rules for Radicals in community organizing
>Various left-leaning politicians have written about and studied Alinksky because of the value of his rules re: community organizing and power differentials
It's not a conspiracy and the guy had some good ideas, I don't have a problem with anyone using them, but it's kind of hard to deny that people use them. They do. Though obviously hardcore, literal Communists view(ed) Alinksky as a fucking poser.

Chess is a solved game. Nobody in their right mind plays it for fun past the point of getting halfway good, because after that point it's

Board games are expensive and mostly poorly designed. There are too many of them and most of them don't allow newcomers half a chance in hell at winning. They're bad for a large group.

Poker is actually a good game for a large rotating group to play, because everyone knows how to play and the materials are inexpensive.

The phenomenon you experienced wasn't because normies ruined chess, it's because it's impossible for more than 5-10 people to socialize about chess to begin with.

No, it's not. Having someone's phone number is useful. Facebook is google messenger with ads and bloat and social pressure. Its only "advantage" is its ubiquity.

There is nothing Facebook does that mass text messages, email lists, discord, or some other tool don't do better, except show you targeted ads.

How do you "culturally" ask someone to leave?

Nothing wrong with any of that, except that I can do all of that without "carefully curating" my experience using a smartphone or even dumb phone.

I don't even like chess, but fuck you. If the other cunts wanted to play poker then they should form their own poker-club instead of shitting up the chess-club.

"Ey yo muthafuckah, get da hell out of muh club"

Man I'm the only guy in my circle who wants to go to parties and clubs. I'm the only one who drinks! Well, except the ex-sergeant but he doesn't play Veeky Forums.

I wish I had your nonexistent straw-man problem, OP.

You're talking like White Wolf's political views and design style has changed at all. They've just evolved from 90s edgy to 00s edgy

>t. Underage

The most important thing for you to do is to find a good starting RPG, learn it well, play a few campaigns of it, then drop it like a wet sack of shit and move to a better RPG with fewer hipsters.

Naah, we're not the same as normal people. We're clearly superior.
But these tales of "normies stole my hobby" are making me sick. If your hobby is ruined because people you don't like join it then your problem is not that you're a nerd, it's that you want to feel special but aren't.

As for average iq normies: the average Veeky Forums poster has an iq easily surpassed by a modern toaster. So I wouldn't want them in my games either.

fuck you 9

Why is this meme so prevalent? I've never seen it with wargames. Is it something TCG and roleplaying people have to deal with?

>on the nights she's out with friends.
Kuck

And so what, socially incompetent people are still humans.

Ah, yet another guy so insecure he believes letting your woman out of sight can only lead to her fucking other guys.

Don't worry. That will never be relevant to you.

And social competence can be learned. To some degree even by people on the spectrum.

You can be socially competent and still avoid parties. I do, I have a fear of drunk crowds. Doesn't mean you can't have a social life.

And if you really are unable to, then you'll never meet the evil hobby stealing normies anyway.