NaNoWriMo general

"I think it would be cool to do this general until the end of November" edition

What is NaNoWriMo?

National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing.

On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm, determination, and a deadline, NaNoWriMo is for anyone who has ever thought about writing a novel.

Thread question: what are you guys gonna write about if you decide to do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/eXPT87
discord.gg/mV2mFZY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm participating and all and Veeky Forums is cancer but I just don't think it belongs on Veeky Forums.

Try quest, since they make story.

Mine is a space odyssey about mankinds attempt to search for alien life after taking to the stars.

i uh i actually based it a little bit off of SDA's cyoa...

the universe is so big we never find it and the whole crew dies

Write a game then, nerd.

Veeky Forums is cancer, that's why I think it would be really cool to talk stories with a bunch of fa/tg/uys. I mean Heck I know it's not very Veeky Forums but a lot of you guys are creative as fuck and less autistic.

That sounds like it would be cool, I'd love to see how their crew and hope crumble as time progresses. Heck you can even make it where you find only microbial life and that's it.

I've been writing a novel for the last six months and I'm still barely past 10k words; how the fuck do people do this shit? I mean I'm a lazy fuck but there are just solid months where I don't want to write shit.

Stop being a lazy fuck and write every day.

Your particular problem is what Nanowrimo explicitly attempts to solve. It's not supposed to help you churn out anything worth reading, it's there to force writing habits on people.

Writing every day is what usually makes me stop writing.

No, being a lazy fuck and making excuses is what makes you stop writing. Stop that and write. Fucking write.

I just find something I like and start vomiting words at it. It's not hard to get 3k words in one sitting when you're writing trashy fanfiction.

And then it turns into a chore, and I don't want to do it anymore.

3000 in one sitting isn't hard if you're just throwing together a bunch of shit that doesn't have to be any good, but to write something that flows naturally and doesn't turn into a big mass of trash that doesn't fit into the narrative is fucking hard. Very little of the time I spend writing is spent putting one word in front of the other, it's mostly spent going back and fixing mistakes before they compound to the point of being unrecoverable.

Then you obviously don't want it bad enough. Nothing ever got done by someone giving up because it "turned into a chore." That's the excuses I'm talking about. Stop that shit. Nobody wants to hear about you not writing and crying about how it's too hard or whatever the fuck you're trying to do by being a whiny little bitch. The only way your novel is going to get done is if you fucking write it. Every day. Every night if you have to. Those are your options. Shape up, or shut up. What's it gonna be?

Quit, commit suicide.

The Veeky Forums-Veeky Forums writing Discord is doing some stuff for NaNo. Check it: discord.gg/eXPT87

Well, if you're gonna be a pussy little bitch, might as well go all the way.

>but to write something that flows naturally and doesn't turn into a big mass of trash that doesn't fit into the narrative is fucking hard
Its called 'editing'

So if one were to start writing some trashy fanfiction based off a Cyoa from Veeky Forums would that be accepted here or?

Yep. Follow your dreams, user.

Even though I'll probably burn out in a week, I'd like to give it a try.

Same story I didn't finish last time: A Heist Novel based in a fantasy world, where the heroes are trying to steal a Dragon-Emperor's gold hoard without him noticing.

You're not going to finish it. Not everyone has the right amount of discipline, I suppose.

>And then it turns into a chore
Yes, this is what writing actually is.

Does it have to be a novel exactly or could I join up doing my setting's source book?

As long as you're writing.

Ouch.

I would like to write a novel, but honestly I would have no idea where to even start such a massive undertaking. Like, from an organization, formatting, and planning perspective.

It feels as if it'd take me at least a month to prep basic outline of the story, let alone write it.

Nigger you don't write by thinking, you write by writing.
Haven't you seen Finding Forrester?

No, should I have?

>tfw writing isekai wish fulfillment with a self-insert main character
This will be the easiest 50k of my life

Wrote 4000 yesterday, can probably do it again tonight.

Nah, it's a very mediocre movie, imo.
But the advice is real. Just start writing without much planning, and analyze it later. It's easier to rewrite and fix glaring stupid mistakes than it is to make them in the first place - for me, at least.

I think I might give this a go. I've been between "projects" in other mediums for a while and looking for something to do anyway.

Any good tips writing a novel for someone with very little experience in long-form creative writing?

I've already got myself an idea (it was originally going to be a video game, but the whole thing fell apart due to creative differences), so now I just need to expand that pitch to like 50k words or whatever.

So i had a ton of plans for my fantasy novel I want to write.

Half a year ago. Now, when nano is underway, my enthusiasm has been left behind. The hell can i do to get it back?

756 words in.
Prologue done.
Starting chapter 1.
Goal is to get to 4000 words by the end of the day.

>I don't want to be good at XYZ because it's a chore

Enjoy a life of mediocrity, gritlet.

Everyday you delay writing is another day you're also inferior to Chuck Tingle.

Everyone is inferior to him, though.

Nobody here writes anything worthwhile. Don't delude yourself

It doesn't have to be worth reading for it to find a market, or be appreciated.

Yea, Ive got a couple things planned for it, such as a planet where the people have become mutated, an encounter with what they think is an alien ship but just turned out to be made out of a rare alloy.

Mostly its about the interpersonal relationships aboard the ship and the slow decay of time and crippling bouts of misfortune that causes life to peter out.

I have a book that's in three parts. The first part follows a paladin who falls in love with the sorcerer of the party during their escapades involving ousting secretive group of werewolves who have infiltrated the paladin's city for nefarious purposes. Near the end of the book the sorcerer's cruelty is shown. That's the one i'm writing this month.

The second part takes the perspective of the sorcerer and deals with an invasion of wood elves into the human empire, and has a lot of character building for the paladin and sorcerer, and they marry and start a family before the paladin dies in the climax fighting the elves. The sorcerer, not knowing these events have transpired, makes a deal with a devil in order to remain young forever, and then once more in an attempt to bring her husband back later, sacrificing the summoner to the devil in exchange.

The third part has the devil take over the sorcerer's mind as it tricked her in the deal. The perspective is from one of the other party members, still trying to decide who. The new villain of this part is the sorcerer, who is trying to become the ruler of all humanity, using her boosted magics to lure all humans towards her chosen city, where she can use her magic to dominate them completely. The city grows to ridiculous proportions under her rule, and the other party members work against her. It ends in one of the party members who seemingly betrayed the others at the beginning of part three to work with the sorcerer, turn against her in a subtle way. He tricks her into trying to ascend to godhood, and she succeeds. But the gods do not take kindly to newcomers, and she gets trapped with the gods, her powers being stifled by the old gods who refuse to grant her even the tiniest sliver of power over any realm.
My problem is working out how to do the perspectives. Do I do it first or third person?

I prefer third when I'm reading so that's what I tend to write in.

With the story you've put down, third person might also help avoid confusion with the switching characters.

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks. I'm also wondering whether or not to have the paladin become aware of the sorcerer's cruelty?

>Do I do it first or third person?
Close third. Like, so close it's invasive. The metaphorical TSA of perspectives.

>Close third. Like, so close it's invasive. The metaphorical TSA of perspectives.
How does one right in such a way? Do you have an example?

Second person.

I'd say have him not cause then you've got the added guilt for the sorceror in having him trust/love her completely when she can never live up to what he thinks he is, starts to maybe redeem herself a bit, then desperate devil deal and BAM evil!

Ooh, I think I like that, thanks! Makes sense why her cruelty is never stopped or challenged then.

ew.

Mines a zombie novel set about 6 years after the apocalypse. (A really bad one, where there are barely any people left alive) A man who cleared a small city is now dictator to a group about 800 strong. The story is about the scheduled handover from dictatorship to a form of democracy, underpinned by racial/religious tensions as people have reverted to fundamentalism after science and rationalism failed in explaining the zombies. It's told from the POV of a recently disabled frontline soldier who has been made the communities first detective to investigate a chain of murders

Okay tg, have a plot planner thing. Feel free to fill in and post!

>Motivation

>Initiating Incident

>Main plot

>Crisis

>Resolution

>Subplot 1

>Subplot 2

>Subplot 3

I know and I agree with you, but that really doesn't make it Veeky Forums related. This is a traditional games board, not just a general hangout board for fa/tg/uys.

So what you do is you put "Is anyone else writing a book based on one of their campaigns?" or "What do you need to do to make a tabletop setting work as a novel?" or "Have you ever written a novel based on one of your games?" or something in the OP. That way it at LEAST has the pretense of being Veeky Forums-related while still being a de facto NaNo general thread.

>Any good tips writing a novel for someone with very little experience in long-form creative writing?
Shut the fuck up and write.

There is no substitute to putting pen to paper. Metaphorically, I mean, I presume you're typing it like a sane person. Either way, just fucking do it. Way too many people in NaNo devote way too much thought to their "strategy" and check their word count every other sentence. I don't, I just write.

Your prologue is short.

>Have you ever written a novel based on one of your games?
I have, four times.

They were canon to the game, though obviously I'm not gonna give my players such a huge chunk of mandatory reading so the actually-relevant shit was tl;dr'd.

>how the fuck do people do this shit?
It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. 1,667 words is like 2-3 hours per day for most people. It's work, not an epic all-nighter or two.

I usually set a goal of about 2,000 words per day so that I build up a cushion in case I just can't write on some day - everyone has real life intervene at some point after all. Last NaNo I did I made it to 73k words.

Your writing pace, 10k in 6 months, amounts to 54 words a day. For reference, that's roughly half the length of this post. That's absurd. How lazy are you?

>start writing
>up to 10k words
>stop and read it back
>it's all shit
>give up
every year

Your first draft is always shit. A novel isn't a novel before someone edits it. Over and over in the best cases. I edited my first novel so many times that I started to hate it, the process of editing and my novel.

>Thread question: what are you guys gonna write about if you decide to do it?
been trying to decide between two ideas I've had for a while.
1.super powered medieval knights versus the collective evil of the once great elves. i'm talking "wouldn't be out of place in a shonen anime or some wuxia films" kind of powered
2. fantasy western with the land poisoned and ruled by necromancers, the hero is a gunsmith turned gunslinger out to save his brother from becoming a zombie slave

I did this 3 years ago. It burned me out and I'm only just now getting back into writing. I never really wrote before this.

I recommend writing 500 - 1000 words a day for at least 6 months. If you can keep that up, then maybe do nanowrimo next year.

>Thread question: what are you guys gonna write about if you decide to do it?
Chinese inspired fantasy world, a wizard magistrate has to save his county from a lich that's trying to stage an uprising

I've been writing a novel since 2012 or 2013 (Honestly I forgot) and I don't even have a full page yet

>I came up with an idea for a novel in 2012 or 2013, but I haven't written a full page yet
Fixed that for you

It was already shit at your first word, user.

1400 words today. I didn't write anything yesterday and probably won't write much tomorrow. But it's a start.

I wonder if people could figure just autistic I am by reading the shit I wrote.

And the wordcount stuff also wonder how many words I type on 4chinz a day.

Just work at your own pace. If you're not done by November, just write more after that.

Aight Veeky Forums. Pick the fetish my family finds on my computer once I die from malnurishment, dehydration and lack of sleep. I have faith in you.

>Dude crosses barrier into hentai Toontown and she has to work there.
>Standard Fantasy about a animu fox girl getting constantly courted and betrayed by prince(s)(s).
>Necrololis sent to investigate new continent on earth.
>other (specify)

>Dude crosses barrier into hentai Toontown and she has to work there.
>dude
>she
Did he get gender swapped on the way over?

It wouldn't be interesting otherwise.

Right. Have fun with that. I say go with necrololis but that's only because I just realized that the nechronica pdf is live.

I forgot that november was the writing month and between me failing school for another semester and working full time I don't think I'll be participating. Not that I had a story idea anyways. sorry for being depressing and best of luck to you.

So I apparently generated a link to the wrong discord last time. So is 100% incorrect. The real link is:

discord.gg/mV2mFZY

An Imperial sniper who grew up in the clone wars. When Sheevy P overthrew the government to institute the Empire and set up recruiting for his forces, he willingly jioned who he thought were the good guys. Was a pretty good sniper, was assigned to a team to gallivant around the galaxy to hunt rebel cell, and did a good job of it. Ended up deserting when his team ordered to 'draw out' a local cell by killing civilians in a hospital. Now he's on the run, hopping from system to system, before getting wrapped up in a Magnificent 7 type protection mission and ends up joining the rebellion.

or does he?

The most important part is just writing. There was a short piece I've read a couple times that basically boiled down to this: you're gonna write shit. You're gonna write a lot of shit. And the only way to be able to make something not shit, is to get all that shit out of your system.

And you do that by making writing a habit.

Are you me, user?

Post-apoc detective novel? Fucking rad.

Though it's technically pre-apocalyptic, you might be interested in pic related. The tl;dr is a detective investigates murders after NASA confirms an asteroid will wipe us out in 6 months and there's nothing that can stop it. Most of the story is about why a man would enforce the law when he knows civilization is about to definitely end and is already breaking down - and about why a murder even matters in light of a coming apocalypse. It's a pretty great trilogy.

>what are you guys gonna write about if you decide to do it?
My own take on the Terry Brooks story of "Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold". Some NEET sees an offer to buy a magic kingdom for cheap and decides "why the fuck not?" and dumps some money on the venture. When he's magically teleported in he finds the kingdom is not doing well at all but he still has access to his laptop and, via magic, an infinite power battery and access to the internet. He will set about to make his kingdom a lewd and vivacious sex dream with him in command of a massive harem before having to figure out how to deal with the coming Dark Lord Zarnovoth. Hint: Magical 3d printers!

That sounds pretty good, thanks user.

I've got a huge pile of notes and ideas for a setting and some characters but I am not sure about any plot. Most of the ideas I have are very game-y or clearly a ripoff of something else. Going to try just taking to a text editor and just seeing what comes out.

Just go for it. It doesn't matter wht you write so long as you write, user.

the past half hour what has come has been more notes and details, a lot of names and places and their relations to eachother, but still no story.

so far this is looking more like a TTRPG campaign setting than a novel. Maybe this is a sign I should GM?

i'd read the first

Ended up with 12,000 words last year, and over the course of the year I got close to 20,000. Should I keep working on this, or should I start something else to be fair?

almost 30k words in, still feel like i have a lot of room left to go

trying to hit that 100k sweetspot

check your local bookstore for my YA genre cashgrab

Go for it.

Just keep writing user.

Starting a couple days late, but well the hell, sounds like a fun challenge. Think i'll start with transferring what I have so far from paper to pc to see how much I have, then start bust out what I can. Don't think I can get too far before burning out, but lets see if I can get 50k cumulative out of everything I got floating around in my head.

The first is very similar to The Way of Kings.

I'd read the second.

>what are you guys gonna write about if you decide to do it?
I've already started and have already written 12 000 words.
I'm writing a children's book set in a fantasy world where there are no 'humans' (the closest thing to a human there is are witches) and all intelligent races can use magic, so the story is about a little girl going to middle school in a big city and meeting interesting people there.

I dunno user, is Tyr teaching your MC how to swordfight?

I'm up 8k words in 2 days. Not bad at all for me.
I'm doing a revolutionary story set in a dawn of the industrial era fantasy land with no particularly fantastic creatures or races other than man.
Incompetent, corrupt officials; conniving princesses; oppressed, starving masses; hypocritical, bourgeoisie revolutionaries, and Stalin.
It will all end in blood.
Prep work is paying off though.

I just broke 2000 words.
Only 4000 words behind schedule.
A-am I gonna make it, Veeky Forums?

Doesn't look like it.

If it helps i'm still at 1,735.

Hopefully I can get back on track this weekend