Weapon Art Thread

Looking for elvish weapons, dumping a few examples to start.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fMz_Z0Xq-2I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get some fucking handprotection. Are elves lizards who can grow back lost fingers? And don't say " but Katanas" becouse even this stupid japanese crap had a part that protected their hands.

>but Katanas
Yatagans, kukri, chinese weapons, sax, kopis, kris, gladius, spatha. I bet you would also complain if someone isn't running around in full plate 24/7.

And the shashka, I forgot about the shashka.

Overly pronounced handguards were mostly a medieval thing tho

>What are the gladius, spatha and khopesh?

And that's just human weapons. In many settings, elves have Dex bonuses. It's not unreasonable to assume that the average elf MIGHT, in fact, possess the coordination and reflexes needed to handle a trickier weapon than a human.

And before you ask "but why, it's inefficient?" - they are elves. Given their depiction in many fantasy settings, the answer might very well be "aesthetics".

>And before you ask "but why, it's inefficient?"
I don't know if the necessity of handguards isn't a bit overrated. Many cultures seem to have been doing fine without them. Even cultures that weren't retards, knew about them or had other weapons with handguards would occasionally not use them. Why? Don't know.

I always thought southeast asian "dha" swords were pretty elfy

>needing hand protection when guns exist

Of possible interest:

>Are elves lizards who can grow back lost fingers?

Setting idea get

Fuck it, have a bump.

What advantage does a single-edged blade have over one with two edges?

One less edge to take care of. But you realize that most single-edged blades are curved, right? Where the false egde isn't used very often, but can be sharpened near the tip.

alternatively, if Elves are dex fighters, than they rely on as much agility as they can afford to eek out, so things like handguards might get dropped to reduce weight further in their weapons.

maybe not lizards exactly, but might be an interesting take.
>While elves are frail, they're quite capable of recovering from the damage they do suffer.

It's not that there's an advantage, it's that the kind of sword that only has one edge is only ever going to use that edge. Think about a kitchen knife - why put an edge on the back if it's build to cut with the front?

lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=fMz_Z0Xq-2I

Do you not know that hand protection was very pronounced for swords and sabres when guns where very prevalent in the 18-19th c. period.
You had complex hilt sabres alongside revolvers for decades...

I love me some Urumi. Especially when it looks like Freddy Mercury is Fighting Ron Jeremy

>what is shashka(Kozak sabre)

You can hold the dull/back edge with your other hand. Maybe for extra power or some shit.

IIRC, better for cutting using the same amount of material since the edge spends more time in contact with flesh.

Kukris are used as tools too, so no dedicated combat weapons.
When I google chinese swords, most of them have handguards.
Everything that is used with a shield (sax, kopis, kris, gladius, spatha) dont need a handguard because you block with the shield and a handguards is prone to get stuck on the shield when you stab.
The Yatagan is pretty interssting thou. Could you tell me how it was used?

The wight of the handguard normaly isn't an issue. If the sword its well made the hand guard is at its center of weight. You dont feel anything there that is under 0,5 kg. And handguards normaly are much lighter.

In case of the "langes Messer" it was for legal reasons. The definition for sword included, that it is two-edged. So if a peasant wanted a weapon he just brought a knive (legal definition ;-)) and just made it as long as a sword.

Wew, that war-axe is fucking useless. I love the design, but man oh man I wouldnt want to go into battle with it.

This is extremely dubious at best.
Tang assembly and construction was usually the way to distinguish between knife and sword.
Guild regulations are more likely to be the reason of the german messer thing.

Who says elves don't use shields?

Thats not how that works. A langesmesser is a knife because of technicality, not because its made of a knife.

This is closer to the truth.

Either way, the messer is something they let slide because its not a functional war weapon, so it didnt poach sword-guild turf. You're not going to battle against pikes and shot with a 20-inch blade.

You've got it a bit wrong there bud. The reasons some swords have hand-guards and some dont is technique. With a saber or a rapier, you lead with your hand all the fucking way out, and you expect your opponent to do the same. Even fighting with a buckler, you still want some protection because your hand is fucking out there. Giving smaller swords that kind of additional feature is unnecessary, and its their short length that necessitates the use of a shield to protect yourself while you get in close. There are smaller weapons that have a feature similar to a hand-guard, but those are for self-defense, like the nail on a messer.

TL:DR Basket hilts are not a compensation for a lack of a shield, they're an adaptation to fighting hand-forward with long, single-handed swords.

And you use a picture where the sword has a handguard of around 40cm? AH!

Thanks for the input. I'm realy not sure here but you might be on to something.
I just want to point out that rapiers (and i think sabers too?) were never used with a shield.

Thanks for the correction, that's what I wanted to write :-)

I can also post an elf with a weapon and handguard without any shield, so we have the full list.

That seems like a chicken and egg thing...
Plenty of sabres have limited hand protection, only a knuckle bow and that's it (sometimes a brass one even).
Early rapiers (Agrippa's for instance) had only side rings, maybe a knuckle bow yet were used very much forward.

Technique instigated some development, but it was done without it as well. Smallswords have very limited hand protection while they are held typically very in front, even when cutting weapons were out there.

It's more back and forth than one direction.

>war axe
That is a pick with its handle on backward and a spear point for stabbing.

Yeah, but a basket hilt only becomes necessary as a matter of contemporary technique and the obsolescence of Shields. I guess my point is that you seemed to pose the two modes of protection as alternatives of each other, when the use of each is highly tied to their historical context. It's like comparing a trireme to a later period longship. Not a hellworthy tresspass, but often the anacronism of nerdgames makes us forget that there's a good reason certain seemingly linear innovations only occurred when they did.

I miss Prince of Persia.

Techniques and technological improvements both work together, sometimes one is the origin of the other and sometimes it's the opposite.
For instance, the typical hanging guard of the english broadsword/sabre used to be quite high to still protect the hand and arm, as the protection grew bigger and better, the hanging guard went lower and more in front.

The basket hilt is also a development of metallurgy, same with narrow blades for instance, it isn't that people didn't think of it, it's just that they couldn't make it well enough to be worth it.
As soon as sideswords got longer and longer, thrusts were more and more seen as a better way to offend and therefore, some designs evolved towards this end (from sideswords to rapier). But in this case, you need a technological advance to motivate technique and to further develop said technological advance.

Shields were still used with complex hilt, the highlanders and italians both used them up until the 18th century for some. Complex hilts and shields aren't incompatible.

Get yourself some bling, fuckers.

Place and date?

Egypt, 1300/1400 BCE. It's a gold blade that belonged to Tutankhamun.

Fuck, should have bet on egypt. The color scheme made it too easy.

It's actually pretty typical of the entire Middle East, throughout history. My grandfather has a collection of fancy knives and swords from throughout it (primarily Egypt, pre-Israel Palestine and the Jordan area), and a lot of them look pretty similar (although a lot more curved).

>primarily Egypt, pre-Israel Palestine and the Jordan area
These were under egyptian influence at these times.

user, a while has passed between Tutankhamun and British Palestine.

In case my autism is right and there was no joke: please google New Kingdom.

Forgot the falx

Never forget the falx, user.

magitech rifles anyone?

The handguards on chinese swords are tiny, no larger than a spatha.

Any reasonable elf would adore swords with elegant holdout pistols built in.